Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM
ahamay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

ORIGINAL: mmurray70
Also the reason it was drifting slightly different for me in different modes was my fault. I had different trim settings in each mode. I didnt exactly realized it but the DX7 has 4 sets of trim settings. They are independant for normal, idle1, idle2 and throttle hold. Just figured I would post it in case anybody here is like me and didnt notice this.
Yes this is a gotcha with spektrum that most of us are well aware of. General rule is to not use trim or sub trim for gyro/rudder because this effectively tells the gyro that your always inputing a rudder signal. It just so happens that this rudder input is telling the gyro to correct a drift usually caused by mechanical setup or vibs through the heli which in turn is holding the tail.

Some gyros when they initialise will reset their centre based on your trim setting so you may end up chasing your tail so to speak.

If your gyro and tail was not drifting before the crash and it is now, I would still suspect that your getting vibrations or somthing is still bent or damaged.

Jonesy

Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: hugj

Ok this one is for my friend Brian is the great state of FL.
I was'ent sure if you were mad at me when this package arrived, but my anel side took over and I had a new challange, Thanks
It has a few things to finish but here is a little preview, Thanks again Hugh
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH3LMFPzO1w[/youtube]
Looks like it was a bit of a handfull. Hopefully you get it trimmed properly.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: ahamay

Also the reason it was drifting slightly different for me in different modes was my fault. I had different trim settings in each mode. I didnt exactly realized it but the DX7 has 4 sets of trim settings. They are independant for normal, idle1, idle2 and throttle hold. Just figured I would post it in case anybody here is like me and didnt notice this.
Yes this is a gotcha with spektrum that most of us are well aware of. General rule is to not use trim or sub trim for gyro/rudder because this effectively tells the gyro that your always inputing a rudder signal. It just so happens that this rudder input is telling the gyro to correct a drift usually caused by mechanical setup or vibs through the heli which in turn is holding the tail.

Some gyros when they initialise will reset their centre based on your trim setting so you may end up chasing your tail so to speak.

If your gyro and tail was not drifting before the crash and it is now, I would still suspect that your getting vibrations or somthing is still bent or damaged.

Jonesy

Yeah I would be checking the tail rotor shaft first then make sure nothing else is slightly bent.
Then do the hot glue fix on the gyro and check its mounting. Sometimes even using different mounting tape can make the world of difference.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
ingleburn

Speaking of vibrations Im going to have 1 last go at sorting out my GT before ditching them altogether and ordering a Tarot pro.
Got a new main gear set, main bearings and tail drive gear coming to replace the stock HK stuff to see if I can get rid of the vibes.
The other GT which is FB,d has almost zero vibes but I dread the thought of stripping it down to put the FBL gear on it.

@ Jonesy. If I do end up going to the pro, anything I need to watch out for as it will be the first TT one Ive had.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

@ Jonesy. If I do end up going to the pro, anything I need to watch out for as it will be the first TT one Ive had.
The only thing that I can think of is you need to be very carefull of the surface your taking of and landing on. The rear vertical tail fin is only a hair longer than the blades so it's very easy to to bump the tail rotor if the ground is uneven or in grass etc. Once you've had a torque tube the belt really sucks due to ease of maintenance on the TT so you'll be a winner there. Buy a bunch of spare plastic front and rear torque tube gears (the umbrealla gears and rear shaft) as they are handy to have. I've had a few tail strikes and bent a shaft and chewed a few gears but you can replace them in about 5 minutes on the rear.

The Tarot PRO V2 kits I've got have been great. Both of them had the one way bearing pressed in uneven which was no good so replaced the hub and OWB with align. The TT was also slightly bent so I replaced that with align as well for a few bucks. Align has two different TT's, one will break the end off in case of a strike and the other one is much stronger and will chew your gears out instead. Just note the different types if your looking at parts etc.

After about 120 flights on my first one, I replaced the two small bearings in the rear tail case that the TT runs through, which also only takes 5 minutes. They had gone a bit notchy

The first thing you'll appreciate is there is not one phillips head screw to be found in the whole kit, which annoyed the heck out of me with the 450GT's...especially after you needed to pull anything apart that had threadlock. Even the phillips head screws were rubbish.

Flybarless and torque tube have been a real winner for me with regards to simplification and ease of maintenance etc.

The tgy306g is a ripper of a tail servo. Ihave anothr one arriving to replace my align ds520. Your inoloab 202hb's would be a great combination with the tgy306 in a pro.

Jonesy

Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM
mmurray70

Jonesy
Yeah Im actually taking advantage of that now. Re-read the middle of my post. I have it trimmed the opposite way in throttle hold now so it initialises off center. When I turn off throttle hold everythings works as normal with zero trim in all other modes. Not the ideal situation I know, but its flying great now and I dont have to spend any more time/money screwing with it.

Probably is a vibration somewhere. Seems very smooth with the new blades though. And it flew great for 4-5 packs after the crash. Problem only appeared after comming out of storage for the winter. Strange. I did do the hot glue fix when i built it too.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
ingleburn

The only thing that I can think of is you need to be very carefull of the surface your taking of and landing on. The rear vertical tail fin is only a hair longer than the blades so it's very easy to to bump the tail rotor if the ground is uneven or in grass etc. Once you've had a torque tube the belt really sucks due to ease of maintenance on the TT so you'll be a winner there. Buy a bunch of spare plastic front and rear torque tube gears (the umbrealla gears and rear shaft) as they are handy to have. I've had a few tail strikes and bent a shaft and chewed a few gears but you can replace them in about 5 minutes on the rear.

The Tarot PRO V2 kits I've got have been great. Both of them had the one way bearing pressed in uneven which was no good so replaced the hub and OWB with align. The TT was also slightly bent so I replaced that with align as well for a few bucks. Align has two different TT's, one will break the end off in case of a strike and the other one is much stronger and will chew your gears out instead. Just note the different types if your looking at parts etc.

After about 120 flights on my first one, I replaced the two small bearings in the rear tail case that the TT runs through, which also only takes 5 minutes. They had gone a bit notchy

The first thing you'll appreciate is there is not one phillips head screw to be found in the whole kit, which annoyed the heck out of me with the 450GT's...especially after you needed to pull anything apart that had threadlock. Even the phillips head screws were rubbish.

Flybarless and torque tube have been a real winner for me with regards to simplification and ease of maintenance etc.

The tgy306g is a ripper of a tail servo. Ihave anothr one arriving to replace my align ds520. Your inoloab 202hb's would be a great combination with the tgy306 in a pro.

Jonesy

Thanks for the info Jonesy. A few quick questions.
Ive noticed that they have as spares TT collars. Are they to take up any slack and do you need to buy them or are they included in the kit.

Ive never really checked my one way bearings. How do you know if they aren't straight?

Other than that I have the Inolab and Turnigy servos just sitting here and dont want to waste my time putting them in the HK pro. What to do?

The GT is pulled down awaiting parts and what I found is a heap of fine black rubber in the end of the tail so that tells me that the belt has been slipping. Also the tail drive gear had a wobble so glad I ordered a new one.

The Pro has been starting to wobble again and I see that the 415's are getting more and more slop. Took it out yesterday and flew well until the wind picked up and then it was acting up a bit.
Guess the sloppy servos had something to do with it.

Anyway my 1 year heli anniversary is coming up soon so I hope Ive got a heli flying so I can do a then and now video. Haven't progressed as fast as you but I'm still happy at where I'm at.

You must be close to being a dad. I guarantee it will be more nerve racking than your first maiden. While they are all special moments The first one will blow you away.
Make sure you post a picture of your arm after the birth. Mightn't make sense now but it will later.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Flying Fiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

I love scale helis and planes, but this clip brings new meaning to the words "Big Outdoor Lama"

Oh the work, I bet he never flips it!

http://vimeo.com/1635097

Best,

Phil
Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 PM
ingleburn

Jonesy
Yeah Im actually taking advantage of that now. Re-read the middle of my post. I have it trimmed the opposite way in throttle hold now so it initialises off center. When I turn off throttle hold everythings works as normal with zero trim in all other modes. Not the ideal situation I know, but its flying great now and I don't have to spend any more time/money screwing with it.

Probably is a vibration somewhere. Seems very smooth with the new blades though. And it flew great for 4-5 packs after the crash. Problem only appeared after coming out of storage for the winter. Strange. I did do the hot glue fix when i built it too.
Maybe it was just some dried grease or oil in the bearings after it had been sitting in storage. A few runs might free them up or else just go over it and oil everything up again.
My lack of maintenance is probably my biggest problem.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: Flying Fiz

Hi Guys,

I love scale helis and planes, but this clip brings new meaning to the words "Big Outdoor Lama"

Oh the work, I bet he never flips it!

http://vimeo.com/1635097

Best,

Phil
If it was yours I bet you would try.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM
ahamay

Thanks for the info Jonesy. A few quick questions.
Ive noticed that they have as spares TT collars. Are they to take up any slack and do you need to buy them or are they included in the kit.

No they don't come in the kit and Iforgot to buy some last time but Ihave not used any in my two. There is no adjustment for the tt gear mesh but I don't think it's an issue. If your real worried then you could put a few shims in.

Ive never really checked my one way bearings. How do you know if they aren't straight?

If you take the hub out and spin your main gear they are usually pretty straight on their own. If you put the mainshaft through after it's back together and the main gear wobbles bad the OWB is not straight, or the one way bearing shaft that goes on with the autorotation gear is crushed or warped. If your head wobbles or you can see your swash linkage balls moving in and out when you spin it by hand this is another sign.

Anyway my 1 year heli anniversary is coming up soon so I hope Ive got a heli flying so I can do a then and now video. Haven't progressed as fast as you but I'm still happy at where I'm at.

Mate, you've done exceptionally well where a lot of people would have given up. It's definately clicked for you from what I've seen and let me tell you it only gets more enjoyable from now on.

You must be close to being a dad. I guarantee it will be more nerve racking than your first maiden. While they are all special moments The first one will blow you away.
Make sure you post a picture of your arm after the birth. Mightn't make sense now but it will later.

Another 5 weeks, but it looks like she might be a week or two early

Jonesy

Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 PM
rikybob

@ Hugh - Fantastic! I would work on that fuse for HOURS and HOURS and finally get it out to the front yard and it'd want to fall over! I'd find that the gyro somehow would fall off or some other weirdness. I really, really dislike working on those fuses where one would actually have to have either the dainty hands of [link=http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/humor/evilovl.html]Simon[/link] or a [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_monkey]Capuchin monkey[/link]. Either or, that fuse found a good home!! Glad you are enjoying it! I'm giving away my "ship in the bottle" kit too

@ Jonesy(Spiros Jr.) - 4 weeks and counting <sniff> it was so nice making your acquaintance! Hope to run in to you again some day!
Thumbs up on the T/T tail!! I really need to evaluate changing mine on the 500 as I have one sitting in the box! Although the belt if performing admirably! Hmmmm what did "Bob", Simons elderly buddy say....."If it ain't broke..."??

@ Phil - Uh, wow!!! I'd literally NEVER fly that damn thing if I had it!

Me?? Working into the night, somewhat bored although I have found "vehicle sign" in the woods that is "before the dew" hmmmmmm I'm not the only one out here???

All the best!

b
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: rikybob
@ Hugh - Fantastic! I would work on that fuse for HOURS and HOURS and finally get it out to the front yard and it'd want to fall over! I'd find that the gyro somehow would fall off or some other weirdness. I really, really dislike working on those fuses where one would actually have to have either the ainty hands of [link=http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/humor/evilovl.html]Simon[/link] or a [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_monkey]Capuchin monkey[/link]. Either or, that fuse found a good home!! Glad you are enjoying it!
@ Jonesy(Spiros Jr.) - 4 weeks and counting <sniff> it was so nice making your acquaintance! Hope to run in to you again some day!
Thumbs up on the T/T tail!! I really need to evaluate changing mine on the 500 as I have one sitting in the box! Although the belt if performing admirably! Hmmmm what did "Bob", Simons elderly buddy say....."If it ain't broke..."??
Me?? Working into the night, somewhat bored although I have found "vehicle sign" in the woods that is "before the dew" hmmmmmm I'm not the only one out here???
All the best!
b
Geez your up early.... suppose I'll have to get used to that soon

</sniff>
Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 AM
rikybob

@ Hugh - Fantastic! I would work on that fuse for HOURS and HOURS and finally get it out to the front yard and it'd want to fall over! I'd find that the gyro somehow would fall off or some other weirdness. I really, really dislike working on those fuses where one would actually have to have either the ainty hands of [link=http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/humor/evilovl.html]Simon[/link] or a [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_monkey]Capuchin monkey[/link]. Either or, that fuse found a good home!! Glad you are enjoying it!
Thumbs up on the T/T tail!! I really need to evaluate changing mine on the 500 as I have one sitting in the box! Although the belt if performing admirably! Hmmmm what did ''Bob'', Simons elderly buddy say.....''If it ain't broke...''??
Me?? Working into the night, somewhat bored although I have found ''vehicle sign'' in the woods that is ''before the dew'' hmmmmmm I'm not the only one out here???
All the best!
b
Geez your up early.... suppose I'll have to get used to that soon [img][/img]

</sniff>

Yah, this time of year poachers are in the woods so I wake up in the middle of the night to work.

Kinda smokes you day as most of your idle time is resting so you can go finish your shift later in the PM.

I don't fly unless I'm on top of it and you tend to be spent all day. However, I DO have a MCP X!

All the best and hope you enjoyed the gentle "smites" above as Simon just lets his slip right over him. I can't even "poke the bear" any more. He's immune!

b
Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 AM
ahamay

Thumbs up on the T/T tail!! I really need to evaluate changing mine on the 500 as I have one sitting in the box! Although the belt if performing admirably! Hmmmm what did ''Bob'', Simons elderly buddy say.....''If it ain't broke...''??
Me?? Working into the night, somewhat bored although I have found ''vehicle sign'' in the woods that is ''before the dew'' hmmmmmm I'm not the only one out here???
All the best!
b

</sniff>

All the best and hope you enjoyed the gentle "smites" above as Simon just lets his slip right over him. I can't even "poke the bear" any more. He's immune!

b
Ivote this one to be the funniest -> 22. No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 AM
rikybob

All the best!
b

</sniff>

All the best and hope you enjoyed the gentle ''smites'' above as Simon just lets his slip right over him. I can't even ''poke the bear'' any more. He's immune!

b
I vote this one to be the funniest -> 22. No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head. [img][/img]

My top 5 are:

8. After I kidnap the beautiful princess, we will be married immediately in a quiet civil ceremony, not a lavish spectacle in three weeks' time during which the final phase of my plan will be carried out.

17. When I employ people as advisors, I will occasionally listen to their advice.

20. Despite its proven stress-relieving effect, I will not indulge in maniacal laughter. When so occupied, it's too easy to miss unexpected developments that a more attentive individual could adjust to accordingly.

213. I will not wear long, heavy cloaks. While they certainly make a bold fashion statement, they have an annoying tendency to get caught in doors or tripped over during an escape

179. I will not outsource core functions.

Although there are a myriad of good 'uns!

I wonder what an actual EBO would have as a short list??

b
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 AM
ingleburn

All the best!
b

</sniff>

All the best and hope you enjoyed the gentle ''smites'' above as Simon just lets his slip right over him. I can't even ''poke the bear'' any more. He's immune!

b
Ivote this one to be the funniest -> 22. No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head. [img][/img]

My top 5 are:

8. After I kidnap the beautiful princess, we will be married immediately in a quiet civil ceremony, not a lavish spectacle in three weeks' time during which the final phase of my plan will be carried out.

17. When I employ people as advisors, I will occasionally listen to their advice.

20. Despite its proven stress-relieving effect, I will not indulge in maniacal laughter. When so occupied, it's too easy to miss unexpected developments that a more attentive individual could adjust to accordingly.

213. I will not wear long, heavy cloaks. While they certainly make a bold fashion statement, they have an annoying tendency to get caught in doors or tripped over during an escape

b
I kind of like this one.

48. I will treat any beast which I control through magic or technology with respect and kindness. Thus if the control is ever broken, it will not immediately come after me for revenge.

Just hope my beasts take note.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 AM
rikybob

All the best!
b

</sniff>

b
I vote this one to be the funniest -> 22. No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head. [img][/img]

My top 5 are:

b
I kind of like this one.

48. I will treat any beast which I control through magic or technology with respect and kindness. Thus if the control is ever broken, it will not immediately come after me for revenge.

Just hope my beasts take note. [img][/img]

It's kinda funny in that (self depreciating humor coming) as ill disciplined as I am I havent lopped an arm off yet! I have actually not had any appreciable injury to date. I do look back and think of how unbelievably stupid I was to, while doing the blade tracking exercise and while wearing a crappy three dollar shield rated for weed eating, I would look at the blades 1' away from my face! Even though the blades are only traveling at 1K, I prolly should have been killed or at least mamed by my beasts!

I literally should have been like Phil with multiple injuries!

I'll say this, I really, really respect that 500!

You want to see creepy though, those guys at the field fly those 600's waaaaaaaay too close to themselves!!

All the best!

b

EDIT: My new fav ->84. I will not have captives of one sex guarded by members of the opposite sex.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 AM
sgbfly

@ Hugh - Fantastic! I would work on that fuse for HOURS and HOURS and finally get it out to the front yard and it'd want to fall over! I'd find that the gyro somehow would fall off or some other weirdness. I really, really dislike working on those fuses where one would actually have to have either the dainty hands of [link=http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/humor/evilovl.html]Simon[/link] or a [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_monkey]Capuchin monkey[/link]. Either or, that fuse found a good home!! Glad you are enjoying it! I'm giving away my "ship in the bottle" kit too
<sniff>
All the best!

b
OK, lol, I've took the bait and crawled out from under my rock. That is soooo funny!

Meanwhile a flight vid from a couple of days back...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp2PhYRBC8w[/youtube]

Best to all!

Simon

</sniff>
Old 10-11-2012, 02:54 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

<sniff>
All the best!

b
OK, lol, I've took the bait and crawled out from under my rock. That is soooo funny!

Meanwhile a flight vid from a couple of days back...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp2PhYRBC8w[/youtube]

Best to all!

Simon
</sniff>
Pre-warming lipos is something i'll never have to worry about here with our climate....I'd be trying to cool the suckers down.

Comments on your latest vid on youtube re tail compensation. Worth considering .

Jonesy

Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 AM
bigpapa1272

Morning to all the heli bretheren in good ol australia and to the local boys that are awake this morning.....glad to see i am not the only one up this morning before the sun rises in the east......lol.....anyway i was looking into the tarot line of copters and was wanting some imput on them.....are they from yalls experience better than hk or about the same as far as quality......i would love to just go the trex route but dont have the budget for that.....also would like your thoughts about thundertiger......mini titan and the like.......if anyone owns one.....i heard they are good stable birds for beginners.
Lastly.......radios.....i am torn between moving up to either the dx8 or the new futaba 8j......any thoughts?......later.....bp
Old 10-11-2012, 06:12 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: bigpapa1272

Morning to all the heli bretheren in good ol australia and to the local boys that are awake this morning.....glad to see i am not the only one up this morning before the sun rises in the east......lol.....anyway i was looking into the tarot line of copters and was wanting some imput on them.....are they from yalls experience better than hk or about the same as far as quality......i would love to just go the trex route but dont have the budget for that.....also would like your thoughts about thundertiger......mini titan and the like.......if anyone owns one.....i heard they are good stable birds for beginners.
Lastly.......radios.....i am torn between moving up to either the dx8 or the new futaba 8j......any thoughts?......later.....bp

Hiya Big Papa!

Again my personal knowledge is limited to HK and Align. There IS a company here in the US called [link=http://www.scaleflying.com/Chaos-Helis-by-RC-Aerodyne_c_222.html]RC Aerodyne[/link] I have been watching for a few years that basically make US made clones. There again, the cost / benefit analysis is only a fractional savings IMHO. They produced a 550 Class in the winter of this year but apparently they CNC their own stuff and DOH, cracks!

As far as radios go, one of the best fliers at my club uses a DX7!

If you are just wanting to buy a new Tx, Rob likes his 8. I think Phil had a problem initially with his?? Rob also has Futabas that he likes as well!

Sorry re: Thunder Tiger as I'm at a loss.

All the best!

b
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 AM
ahamay

I've owned 2 x hk450gt kits over the last 12 months and now two tarot 450 pro v2 kits. The tarot kits are streets ahead of the HK in build quality and finish. Like anything made in China they are not without their flaws...Ireplaced a couple of bits with Align spares that Iwas not happy with but overall they have been great. Both my tarots were smooth as silk and vibration free right from the start unlike the 450gt's. The 450GT's were great for me whilst Iwas learning as they were cheap as to repair.

Here's some eye candy for you. My two 450 PRO's.....

Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 AM
rikybob

I've owned 2 x hk450gt kits over the last 12 months and now two tarot 450 pro v2 kits. The tarot kits are streets ahead of the HK in build quality and finish. Like anything made in China they are not without their flaws...I replaced a couple of bits with Align spares that I was not happy with but overall they have been great. Both my tarots were smooth as silk and vibration free right from the start unlike the 450gt's. The 450GT's were great for me whilst I was learning as they were cheap as to repair.

Here's some eye candy for you. My two 450 PRO's.....

[img][/img]

My GOD sir!

That's pure "heli porn"!

I don't know why I let this slip by, but I love Tarot!

Just wish I had a local Tarot source! Upside is, it's an Align clone!

I actually use Tarot parts for my "Franken bird" projects!

Great lookin' fleet!

b
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
bigpapa1272

Ahamay......how do the tarots feel......stable for basics and all?
Looking now at the tarot line and will let yall know what i decide......still up in the air about radio.....like the idea of the beastx in the reciever from spektrum.....saves on buying seperate down the line for fbl.....cause yall know thats where its all headed..........later guys
Ps....ahamay thats a fine looking fleet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.