T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Reply
Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 AM
  #901
Kozzy_98
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SydneyNew South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 290
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Today was a very good day

Our family went to a gathering with our friends at an oval. Luckily I brought my helicopters because I was the only kid there and the parents were talking all the time.
Firstly I took my #2 out with the recently re-setup head. Sadly, it was very windy (15kph with gusts of mabye 25-30kph) so the helicopter was quite a handful! Had quite a few near misses which got my heart rate up, but I didn't end up crashing.

When we came home there was very little wind in our front yard, so I flew the #2 for the rest of the day. I would estimate around 10-15 packs. In between the packs I tried to get my blade tracking right, but it still isn't perfect yet

The only thing that needs to be done to the #2 helicopter is to perfect the blade tracking. However the head uses the fixed top linkages so it makes it quite the PITA to get right. I endeavour to fix this tomorrow!

The beast helicopter(2218 motor 14T pinion) is ready to go, but I haven't maidened it yet. I will maiden it when I receive the keychain camera so you all can see how the maiden turns out. Hopefully it goes well and I don't end up crashing it on camera!







Kozzy_98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 AM
  #902
ingleburn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ingleburn, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,558
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Today was a very good day

Our family went to a gathering with our friends at an oval. Luckily I brought my helicopters because I was the only kid there and the parents were talking all the time.
Firstly I took my #2 out with the recently re-setup head. Sadly, it was very windy (15kph with gusts of mabye 25-30kph) so the helicopter was quite a handful! Had quite a few near misses which got my heart rate up, but I didn't end up crashing.

When we came home there was very little wind in our front yard, so I flew the #2 for the rest of the day. I would estimate around 10-15 packs. In between the packs I tried to get my blade tracking right, but it still isn't perfect yet

The only thing that needs to be done to the #2 helicopter is to perfect the blade tracking. However the head uses the fixed top linkages so it makes it quite the PITA to get right. I endeavour to fix this tomorrow!

The beast helicopter(2218 motor 14T pinion) is ready to go, but I haven't maidened it yet. I will maiden it when I receive the keychain camera so you all can see how the maiden turns out. Hopefully it goes well and I don't end up crashing it on camera!







Go easy on the throttle curves using a 14t pinion otherwise it will get crazy real quick.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88784.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1833836  
ingleburn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:57 AM
  #903
Kozzy_98
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SydneyNew South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 290
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Typo! I meant 13T... whoops!
Kozzy_98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 AM
  #904
ingleburn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ingleburn, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,558
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Typo! I meant 13T... whoops!
Still be careful, I think Jonesy uses a 13 but its to crazy for me. Im sticking to a 12 and with a flat 90% curve gives me more than enough headspeed.

Heres the chart for a 13t pinion.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89911.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1833837  
ingleburn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 AM
  #905
Kozzy_98
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SydneyNew South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 290
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

The Idle1 throttle curve that I have for all of my helicopters at the moment is 85-82.5-80-82.5-85 and it seems to work really well for me. I will try that same curve in the beast and adjust it accordingly.

Have you got any tips for adjusting blade tracking on heads with fixed linkages? The only adjustable ones are the linkages from Servo>Swash and Swash>Flybar Cage. The top linkages (~2cm) are fixed which is the one that you usually adjust for blade tracking.

Like I said I will try again tomorrow and see if I can improve the blade tracking.

Thanks for the suggestions Ingleburn.
Kozzy_98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 AM
  #906
ahamay
Thread Starter
 
ahamay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gold Coast, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,140
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98
Today was a very good day

Well done, nothing builds the confidence like flight time.

Imanaged to get 4 packs in on the 450's this afternoon before the customary storm rolled in. Went down to my field and there were a few guys there trying to fly one of these double horse single rotor fixed pitch helis...similar to the one below. It's probably about a 250 size heli. He picked it up at the boxing day sale 50% off... Complete novice. never picked up a transmitter before....he was doing quite well untill he kept getting it nose in. I waited for them to clear off and leave but they spotted me setting up and stuck around for a look.

They were suitable impressed with the 450 and my mediocre flying skills. Started to rain after pack 4 so I hit the road.

@kozzy - the 2218 with a 13t will run the motor pretty hot in idle up if your running a 95-100 curve. Iwould make sure you have the main gear like the align with the fan to keep it cool. Also, I would probably drop the headspeed down if your just hovering. What main blades are you planning on running on it ? If they are wood blades, definately don't do it. Be carefull also with the fibreglass blades depending on where you got them, on anything above 3000 rpm. Carbon Fibre blades are best when you get to those headspeeds. Be safe.



ahamay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 AM
  #907
ahamay
Thread Starter
 
ahamay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gold Coast, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,140
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98
The Idle1 throttle curve that I have for all of my helicopters at the moment is 85-82.5-80-82.5-85 and it seems to work really well for me. I will try that same curve in the beast and adjust it accordingly.
Yup, sounds like a good palce to start.

ahamay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 AM
  #908
ingleburn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ingleburn, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,558
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

The Idle1 throttle curve that I have for all of my helicopters at the moment is 85-82.5-80-82.5-85 and it seems to work really well for me. I will try that same curve in the beast and adjust it accordingly.

Have you got any tips for adjusting blade tracking on heads with fixed linkages? The only adjustable ones are the linkages from Servo>Swash and Swash>Flybar Cage. The top linkages (~2cm) are fixed which is the one that you usually adjust for blade tracking.

Like I said I will try again tomorrow and see if I can improve the blade tracking.

Thanks for the suggestions Ingleburn.
The top linkages should be the same length if everything else is set up correctly. They should only be adjusted if the blades are way out of track.
Adjust the swash/ flybar cage ones to track it. Only problem with standard links is you have to go 1 full turn at a time which can be to much.
Its easier with adjustable linkages as you can go as little as you need to. It can be tricky to get the tracking spot on.
I strap my helis to a bench and do it that way. Just dont get your head to close to the blades and make sure it cant break free.

ingleburn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:52 AM
  #909
ingleburn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ingleburn, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,558
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: ahamay


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98
Today was a very good day

Well done, nothing builds the confidence like flight time.

Imanaged to get 4 packs in on the 450's this afternoon before the customary storm rolled in. Went down to my field and there were a few guys there trying to fly one of these double horse single rotor fixed pitch helis...similar to the one below. It's probably about a 250 size heli. He picked it up at the boxing day sale 50% off... Complete novice. never picked up a transmitter before....he was doing quite well untill he kept getting it nose in. I waited for them to clear off and leave but they spotted me setting up and stuck around for a look.

They were suitable impressed with the 450 and my mediocre flying skills. Started to rain after pack 4 so I hit the road.

@kozzy - the 2218 with a 13t will run the motor pretty hot in idle up if your running a 95-100 curve. Iwould make sure you have the main gear like the align with the fan to keep it cool. Also, I would probably drop the headspeed down if your just hovering. What main blades are you planning on running on it ? If they are wood blades, definately don't do it. Be carefull also with the fibreglass blades depending on where you got them, on anything above 3000 rpm. Carbon Fibre blades are best when you get to those headspeeds. Be safe.



Saw a couple of guys doing the same thing. It was blowing about 15 knots and I thought if they take off with that thing its going to end up in the next suburb.
I was driving past and didnt stop but 30 mins later when I went past again they were gone. Wonder if they were off chasing it or trashed it.

ingleburn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 AM
  #910
ingleburn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ingleburn, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,558
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Kozzy, here are the linkages I was talking about. Just make sure they are the same length as yours.

www.oomodel.com/tarot-450-sport-parts-linkage-rod-set-with-reverse-thread-tl2639-p-61759.html
ingleburn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 AM
  #911
ahamay
Thread Starter
 
ahamay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gold Coast, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,140
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: ingleburn


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

The Idle1 throttle curve that I have for all of my helicopters at the moment is 85-82.5-80-82.5-85 and it seems to work really well for me. I will try that same curve in the beast and adjust it accordingly.

Have you got any tips for adjusting blade tracking on heads with fixed linkages? The only adjustable ones are the linkages from Servo>Swash and Swash>Flybar Cage. The top linkages (~2cm) are fixed which is the one that you usually adjust for blade tracking.

Like I said I will try again tomorrow and see if I can improve the blade tracking.

Thanks for the suggestions Ingleburn.
The top linkages should be the same length if everything else is set up correctly. They should only be adjusted if the blades are way out of track.
Adjust the swash/ flybar cage ones to track it. Only problem with standard links is you have to go 1 full turn at a time which can be to much.
Its easier with adjustable linkages as you can go as little as you need to. It can be tricky to get the tracking spot on.
I strap my helis to a bench and do it that way. Just dont get your head to close to the blades and make sure it cant break free.
Not having the adjustable links on the blade grips makes it a bit harder to get the tracking spot on. You really only have the long links from the swash to the washout to play with. A full turn on the long links would be equal to a half a turn on the top links if they were adjustable so you should be able to get it pretty close.

Balancing your blades is a must to get the tracking right. I use the CF blades and the balance and CG is usually spot on, however this will not be the case with the fibreglass blades. You need to balance them as a minimum and possibly check the CG and adjust otherwise the tracking will always be way off.

Jonesy

ahamay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
  #912
Kozzy_98
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SydneyNew South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 290
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

After reading the posts about using the 13T pinion on the 2218 motor Iwas unsure if I had a 13T pinion.

Indeed, I have a 12T pinion on the 2218 and 11T pinions on the rest of my 2215s. Sorry about all of the confusion!

I will re-check the balancing and CG on my blades to see if this helps.


Kozzy_98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM
  #913
ahamay
Thread Starter
 
ahamay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gold Coast, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,140
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

After reading the posts about using the 13T pinion on the 2218 motor Iwas unsure if I had a 13T pinion.
Indeed, I have a 12T pinion on the 2218 and 11T pinions on the rest of my 2215s. Sorry about all of the confusion!
I will re-check the balancing and CG on my blades to see if this helps.
That sounds like a better setup for you with the 12. Re the main blades..... if you have multiple sets of these that are the same, put them on your pocket scales and make sure the weights are the same or as close to being the same as possible before you balance them. Swap them around if necessary to find a pair that match. This will help with overall vibration reduction as well as blade tracking.





ahamay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 PM
  #914
Kozzy_98
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SydneyNew South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 290
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Well I still cannot get my blade tracking perfect just yet. Its closer than before, but I need the half a turn that I cannot get due to the nature of ball links
Kozzy_98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 AM
  #915
Kozzy_98
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SydneyNew South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 290
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Took my "Beast" to the oval for a small test flight to test it in rate mode. Liftoff was great and the helicopter was smooth and very powerful! However, disaster struck!!

The metal bracket that holds the tail assembly to the boom snapped and the helicopter piro'ed into the dirt! I managed to hit throttle hold and was able to apply some pitch to soften the blow. Turned out that it was enough to save the rest of the helicopter! The main blades didn't strike the ground which was a huge suprise.

Ideally I would like to replace the whole tail rotor assembly. Can someone point to me where I can get a cheap (and decent) tail rotor? I believe Simon mentioned one from Leaderhobby.com which has no slop...


Kozzy_98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM
  #916
rikybob
 
rikybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zellwood, FL
Posts: 4,400
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Hey Guys!

Had a wonderful morning before work. 5th wheeler is ready for "dry camping" replete with generator (exercised fully) for [img][/img]this weekend and over the New Year! I even had time test a gift from a friend, a large scale sail boat. I've actually, even though I work on a boat, never have been on a sail boat or sailed a model. Its a snap! My "fleet" below sans the Air Boat I have on my work bench as of this posting!

b

(I would like to show you pics of my fleet but the phreakin' server isn't workin')
rikybob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM
  #917
ingleburn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ingleburn, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,558
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Took my "Beast" to the oval for a small test flight to test it in rate mode. Liftoff was great and the helicopter was smooth and very powerful! However, disaster struck!!

The metal bracket that holds the tail assembly to the boom snapped and the helicopter piro'ed into the dirt! I managed to hit throttle hold and was able to apply some pitch to soften the blow. Turned out that it was enough to save the rest of the helicopter! The main blades didn't strike the ground which was a huge suprise.

Ideally I would like to replace the whole tail rotor assembly. Can someone point to me where I can get a cheap (and decent) tail rotor? I believe Simon mentioned one from Leaderhobby.com which has no slop...


Glad the damage wasnt to bad. Trying to work out which bit snapped.
I might have a complete tail box in my spares box. If I can find it your welcome to it. Got a few more bits that I dont need as well so let me know if your interested.


Happy New Year to everyone. I havent flown at all as my son has been in hospital for the last week.
Touch and go for a while but hes good now and hopefully have him home soon.

ingleburn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:14 PM
  #918
hugj
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: danielsville, GA
Posts: 353
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Happy Newyear everyone have a great and safe flying year!!!
Hugh
hugj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM
  #919
rikybob
 
rikybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zellwood, FL
Posts: 4,400
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Happy, happy new year all!

Ingleburn, my thoughts and prayers are with you!!!!

b
rikybob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 PM
  #920
Edmund2
 
Edmund2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PretoriaGauteng, SOUTH AFRICA
Posts: 708
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Hi all, may this year be he best ever for you. Funny to be able to communicate again after more than a week with no phone signal or anything else for that matter. Crashed and burn so many times that it was not funny. booms, gears, blades and shafts had to be replaced up ot the point that I just got  the belt CP it into a hover to check that it is ok then packed it away. Then just to give myself a last bit it rebuilt joy I flew the mCPX into the barn wall. It flew apart and with the main gear landing many meters away as well as the small bearing. Put it all back and just flew it again.

Cheers to 2013.

Edmund
Edmund2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 PM
  #921
rikybob
 
rikybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zellwood, FL
Posts: 4,400
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Hi all, may this year be he best ever for you. Funny to be able to communicate again after more than a week with no phone signal or anything else for that matter. Crashed and burn so many times that it was not funny. booms, gears, blades and shafts had to be replaced up ot the point that I just got the belt CP it into a hover to check that it is ok then packed it away. Then just to give myself a last bit it rebuilt joy I flew the mCPX into the barn wall. It flew apart and with the main gear landing many meters away as well as the small bearing. Put it all back and just flew it again.

Cheers to 2013.

Edmund
Hiya Edmund!

Glad you had a good time even though tragedy was present!

Happy New Year!

b
rikybob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM
  #922
hugj
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: danielsville, GA
Posts: 353
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Hey everyone I hope the newyear is starting good. I have been busy getting my xmas prez. ready for her madin flight, yes I know it is not a 450 or the kind of helis you are use to it has a large stablizer and i hope it may hover!
Anyways i am happy to add her to my flight line. here is a video of her running in.
Happy flying   Hugh
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9JzOBTC9Ro[/youtube]
hugj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
  #923
ahamay
Thread Starter
 
ahamay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gold Coast, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,140
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: hugj

Hey everyone I hope the newyear is starting good. I have been busy getting my xmas prez. ready for her madin flight, yes I know it is not a 450 or the kind of helis you are use to it has a large stablizer and i hope it may hover!
Anyways i am happy to add her to my flight line. here is a video of her running in.
Happy flying Hugh

Nice... Sounds great and Ibet it will look awesome in the air as well. Thanks for the vid.

Jonesy

ahamay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM
  #924
rikybob
 
rikybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zellwood, FL
Posts: 4,400
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: hugj

Hey everyone I hope the newyear is starting good. I have been busy getting my xmas prez. ready for her madin flight, yes I know it is not a 450 or the kind of helis you are use to it has a large stablizer and i hope it may hover!
Anyways i am happy to add her to my flight line. here is a video of her running in.
Happy flying Hugh
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9JzOBTC9Ro[/youtube]

What a beautiful bird and fantastic motor!

I look forward to a viddy of it flyin!

b
rikybob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 AM
  #925
ingleburn
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ingleburn, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,558
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III


Quote:
ORIGINAL: hugj

Hey everyone I hope the newyear is starting good. I have been busy getting my xmas prez. ready for her madin flight, yes I know it is not a 450 or the kind of helis you are use to it has a large stablizer and i hope it may hover!
Anyways i am happy to add her to my flight line. here is a video of her running in.
Happy flying Hugh
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9JzOBTC9Ro[/youtube]
Nice looking plane and looking forward to the maiden.
Dont worry about it not being a heli. They get boring after a while.

ingleburn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:50 AM.