Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 AM
Kozzy_98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Today was a very good day

Our family went to a gathering with our friends at an oval. Luckily I brought my helicopters because I was the only kid there and the parents were talking all the time.
Firstly I took my #2 out with the recently re-setup head. Sadly, it was very windy (15kph with gusts of mabye 25-30kph) so the helicopter was quite a handful! Had quite a few near misses which got my heart rate up, but I didn't end up crashing.

When we came home there was very little wind in our front yard, so I flew the #2 for the rest of the day. I would estimate around 10-15 packs. In between the packs I tried to get my blade tracking right, but it still isn't perfect yet

The only thing that needs to be done to the #2 helicopter is to perfect the blade tracking. However the head uses the fixed top linkages so it makes it quite the PITA to get right. I endeavour to fix this tomorrow!

The beast helicopter(2218 motor 14T pinion) is ready to go, but I haven't maidened it yet. I will maiden it when I receive the keychain camera so you all can see how the maiden turns out. Hopefully it goes well and I don't end up crashing it on camera!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 AM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Our family went to a gathering with our friends at an oval. Luckily I brought my helicopters because I was the only kid there and the parents were talking all the time.
Firstly I took my #2 out with the recently re-setup head. Sadly, it was very windy (15kph with gusts of mabye 25-30kph) so the helicopter was quite a handful! Had quite a few near misses which got my heart rate up, but I didn't end up crashing.

When we came home there was very little wind in our front yard, so I flew the #2 for the rest of the day. I would estimate around 10-15 packs. In between the packs I tried to get my blade tracking right, but it still isn't perfect yet

The only thing that needs to be done to the #2 helicopter is to perfect the blade tracking. However the head uses the fixed top linkages so it makes it quite the PITA to get right. I endeavour to fix this tomorrow!

The beast helicopter(2218 motor 14T pinion) is ready to go, but I haven't maidened it yet. I will maiden it when I receive the keychain camera so you all can see how the maiden turns out. Hopefully it goes well and I don't end up crashing it on camera!

Go easy on the throttle curves using a 14t pinion otherwise it will get crazy real quick.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88784.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1833836  
Old 12-26-2012, 02:57 AM
Kozzy_98

Typo! I meant 13T... whoops!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 AM
ingleburn

Typo! I meant 13T... whoops!
Still be careful, I think Jonesy uses a 13 but its to crazy for me. Im sticking to a 12 and with a flat 90% curve gives me more than enough headspeed.

Heres the chart for a 13t pinion.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89911.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1833837  
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 AM
Kozzy_98

The Idle1 throttle curve that I have for all of my helicopters at the moment is 85-82.5-80-82.5-85 and it seems to work really well for me. I will try that same curve in the beast and adjust it accordingly.

Have you got any tips for adjusting blade tracking on heads with fixed linkages? The only adjustable ones are the linkages from Servo>Swash and Swash>Flybar Cage. The top linkages (~2cm) are fixed which is the one that you usually adjust for blade tracking.

Like I said I will try again tomorrow and see if I can improve the blade tracking.

Thanks for the suggestions Ingleburn.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 AM
ahamay

Well done, nothing builds the confidence like flight time.

Imanaged to get 4 packs in on the 450's this afternoon before the customary storm rolled in. Went down to my field and there were a few guys there trying to fly one of these double horse single rotor fixed pitch helis...similar to the one below. It's probably about a 250 size heli. He picked it up at the boxing day sale 50% off... Complete novice. never picked up a transmitter before....he was doing quite well untill he kept getting it nose in. I waited for them to clear off and leave but they spotted me setting up and stuck around for a look.

They were suitable impressed with the 450 and my mediocre flying skills. Started to rain after pack 4 so I hit the road.

@kozzy - the 2218 with a 13t will run the motor pretty hot in idle up if your running a 95-100 curve. Iwould make sure you have the main gear like the align with the fan to keep it cool. Also, I would probably drop the headspeed down if your just hovering. What main blades are you planning on running on it ? If they are wood blades, definately don't do it. Be carefull also with the fibreglass blades depending on where you got them, on anything above 3000 rpm. Carbon Fibre blades are best when you get to those headspeeds. Be safe.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 AM
ahamay

The Idle1 throttle curve that I have for all of my helicopters at the moment is 85-82.5-80-82.5-85 and it seems to work really well for me. I will try that same curve in the beast and adjust it accordingly.
Yup, sounds like a good palce to start.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 AM
ingleburn

Have you got any tips for adjusting blade tracking on heads with fixed linkages? The only adjustable ones are the linkages from Servo>Swash and Swash>Flybar Cage. The top linkages (~2cm) are fixed which is the one that you usually adjust for blade tracking.

Like I said I will try again tomorrow and see if I can improve the blade tracking.

The top linkages should be the same length if everything else is set up correctly. They should only be adjusted if the blades are way out of track.
Adjust the swash/ flybar cage ones to track it. Only problem with standard links is you have to go 1 full turn at a time which can be to much.
Its easier with adjustable linkages as you can go as little as you need to. It can be tricky to get the tracking spot on.
I strap my helis to a bench and do it that way. Just dont get your head to close to the blades and make sure it cant break free.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:52 AM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: ahamay

Well done, nothing builds the confidence like flight time.

Imanaged to get 4 packs in on the 450's this afternoon before the customary storm rolled in. Went down to my field and there were a few guys there trying to fly one of these double horse single rotor fixed pitch helis...similar to the one below. It's probably about a 250 size heli. He picked it up at the boxing day sale 50% off... Complete novice. never picked up a transmitter before....he was doing quite well untill he kept getting it nose in. I waited for them to clear off and leave but they spotted me setting up and stuck around for a look.

They were suitable impressed with the 450 and my mediocre flying skills. Started to rain after pack 4 so I hit the road.

@kozzy - the 2218 with a 13t will run the motor pretty hot in idle up if your running a 95-100 curve. Iwould make sure you have the main gear like the align with the fan to keep it cool. Also, I would probably drop the headspeed down if your just hovering. What main blades are you planning on running on it ? If they are wood blades, definately don't do it. Be carefull also with the fibreglass blades depending on where you got them, on anything above 3000 rpm. Carbon Fibre blades are best when you get to those headspeeds. Be safe.

Saw a couple of guys doing the same thing. It was blowing about 15 knots and I thought if they take off with that thing its going to end up in the next suburb.
I was driving past and didnt stop but 30 mins later when I went past again they were gone. Wonder if they were off chasing it or trashed it.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 AM
ingleburn

Kozzy, here are the linkages I was talking about. Just make sure they are the same length as yours.

www.oomodel.com/tarot-450-sport-parts-linkage-rod-set-with-reverse-thread-tl2639-p-61759.html
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

The top linkages should be the same length if everything else is set up correctly. They should only be adjusted if the blades are way out of track.
Adjust the swash/ flybar cage ones to track it. Only problem with standard links is you have to go 1 full turn at a time which can be to much.
Its easier with adjustable linkages as you can go as little as you need to. It can be tricky to get the tracking spot on.
I strap my helis to a bench and do it that way. Just dont get your head to close to the blades and make sure it cant break free.
Not having the adjustable links on the blade grips makes it a bit harder to get the tracking spot on. You really only have the long links from the swash to the washout to play with. A full turn on the long links would be equal to a half a turn on the top links if they were adjustable so you should be able to get it pretty close.

Balancing your blades is a must to get the tracking right. I use the CF blades and the balance and CG is usually spot on, however this will not be the case with the fibreglass blades. You need to balance them as a minimum and possibly check the CG and adjust otherwise the tracking will always be way off.

Jonesy

Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Kozzy_98

After reading the posts about using the 13T pinion on the 2218 motor Iwas unsure if I had a 13T pinion.

Indeed, I have a 12T pinion on the 2218 and 11T pinions on the rest of my 2215s. Sorry about all of the confusion!

I will re-check the balancing and CG on my blades to see if this helps.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM
ahamay

After reading the posts about using the 13T pinion on the 2218 motor Iwas unsure if I had a 13T pinion.
Indeed, I have a 12T pinion on the 2218 and 11T pinions on the rest of my 2215s. Sorry about all of the confusion!
I will re-check the balancing and CG on my blades to see if this helps.
That sounds like a better setup for you with the 12. Re the main blades..... if you have multiple sets of these that are the same, put them on your pocket scales and make sure the weights are the same or as close to being the same as possible before you balance them. Swap them around if necessary to find a pair that match. This will help with overall vibration reduction as well as blade tracking.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Kozzy_98

Well I still cannot get my blade tracking perfect just yet. Its closer than before, but I need the half a turn that I cannot get due to the nature of ball links
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Kozzy_98

Took my "Beast" to the oval for a small test flight to test it in rate mode. Liftoff was great and the helicopter was smooth and very powerful! However, disaster struck!!

The metal bracket that holds the tail assembly to the boom snapped and the helicopter piro'ed into the dirt! I managed to hit throttle hold and was able to apply some pitch to soften the blow. Turned out that it was enough to save the rest of the helicopter! The main blades didn't strike the ground which was a huge suprise.

Ideally I would like to replace the whole tail rotor assembly. Can someone point to me where I can get a cheap (and decent) tail rotor? I believe Simon mentioned one from Leaderhobby.com which has no slop...

Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM
rikybob

Hey Guys!

Had a wonderful morning before work. 5th wheeler is ready for "dry camping" replete with generator (exercised fully) for [img][/img]this weekend and over the New Year! I even had time test a gift from a friend, a large scale sail boat. I've actually, even though I work on a boat, never have been on a sail boat or sailed a model. Its a snap! My "fleet" below sans the Air Boat I have on my work bench as of this posting!

b

(I would like to show you pics of my fleet but the phreakin' server isn't workin')
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM
ingleburn

Took my "Beast" to the oval for a small test flight to test it in rate mode. Liftoff was great and the helicopter was smooth and very powerful! However, disaster struck!!

The metal bracket that holds the tail assembly to the boom snapped and the helicopter piro'ed into the dirt! I managed to hit throttle hold and was able to apply some pitch to soften the blow. Turned out that it was enough to save the rest of the helicopter! The main blades didn't strike the ground which was a huge suprise.

Ideally I would like to replace the whole tail rotor assembly. Can someone point to me where I can get a cheap (and decent) tail rotor? I believe Simon mentioned one from Leaderhobby.com which has no slop...

Glad the damage wasnt to bad. Trying to work out which bit snapped.
I might have a complete tail box in my spares box. If I can find it your welcome to it. Got a few more bits that I dont need as well so let me know if your interested.

Happy New Year to everyone. I havent flown at all as my son has been in hospital for the last week.
Touch and go for a while but hes good now and hopefully have him home soon.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:14 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

Happy Newyear everyone have a great and safe flying year!!!
Hugh
Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM
rikybob

Happy, happy new year all!

Ingleburn, my thoughts and prayers are with you!!!!

b
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Edmund2

Hi all, may this year be he best ever for you. Funny to be able to communicate again after more than a week with no phone signal or anything else for that matter. Crashed and burn so many times that it was not funny. booms, gears, blades and shafts had to be replaced up ot the point that I just got  the belt CP it into a hover to check that it is ok then packed it away. Then just to give myself a last bit it rebuilt joy I flew the mCPX into the barn wall. It flew apart and with the main gear landing many meters away as well as the small bearing. Put it all back and just flew it again.

Cheers to 2013.

Edmund
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Hi all, may this year be he best ever for you. Funny to be able to communicate again after more than a week with no phone signal or anything else for that matter. Crashed and burn so many times that it was not funny. booms, gears, blades and shafts had to be replaced up ot the point that I just got the belt CP it into a hover to check that it is ok then packed it away. Then just to give myself a last bit it rebuilt joy I flew the mCPX into the barn wall. It flew apart and with the main gear landing many meters away as well as the small bearing. Put it all back and just flew it again.

Cheers to 2013.

Edmund
Hiya Edmund!

Glad you had a good time even though tragedy was present!

Happy New Year!

b
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

Hey everyone I hope the newyear is starting good. I have been busy getting my xmas prez. ready for her madin flight, yes I know it is not a 450 or the kind of helis you are use to it has a large stablizer and i hope it may hover!
Anyways i am happy to add her to my flight line. here is a video of her running in.
Happy flying   Hugh
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9JzOBTC9Ro[/youtube]
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: hugj

Hey everyone I hope the newyear is starting good. I have been busy getting my xmas prez. ready for her madin flight, yes I know it is not a 450 or the kind of helis you are use to it has a large stablizer and i hope it may hover!
Anyways i am happy to add her to my flight line. here is a video of her running in.
Happy flying Hugh

Nice... Sounds great and Ibet it will look awesome in the air as well. Thanks for the vid.

Jonesy

Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM
rikybob

Happy flying Hugh

What a beautiful bird and fantastic motor!

I look forward to a viddy of it flyin!

b
Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 AM
ingleburn

Happy flying Hugh
Nice looking plane and looking forward to the maiden.
Dont worry about it not being a heli. They get boring after a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.