Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 PM
ingleburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

ORIGINAL: rikybob

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

Hiya Koz!

It's mostly tongue in cheek re: the video guys!

They are all pretty cool albeit gimmicky in their delivery!

I'm currently using this VERY comprehensive video series and cannot, for the life of me stop staring at this guys hair(met).

Is that a rug or what??

Got all my chores done this AM in time for the copious rains of the afternoon!

The ''Gmeister'' is visiting for a few weeks so's I entertained her rather than spend much time on the build. I hope to have it done before noon tomorrow and will see about the maiden.

I'm going to take it slow and see if I can't get this CG thang under control before I fly!

All the best!

b
Looks like you have some rain as well. Wait for the Gmeister to have a nap and get building.[img][/img]
Today I needed some solder so while I was in the electronics store I picked up one of these.
Great soldering practise and my friend who rents a room in my house is in for a sleepless night.[img][/img]

I had a friend who could make two noises by mouth without being detected:

1) The cricket and

2) A cat meowing

I have seen him drive folks CRAZY with the cat! He literally could throw that cat noise so successfully that the "victim" along with he and I would look around the exterior of more than one persons home for the erroneous cat. MOTHER OF GOD, it was funny!

b
Well it didnt work to well last night. The stupid thing started chirping way before it was dark enough.
I saw in the instructions that a diferent resistor in the circuit would let it wait until the room was darker so off to the store for a pack of them.
Only problem is the guy is a police officer so hope he doesnt bring his gun home.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 AM
rikybob

Hiya Koz!

It's mostly tongue in cheek re: the video guys!

They are all pretty cool albeit gimmicky in their delivery!

I'm currently using this VERY comprehensive video series and cannot, for the life of me stop staring at this guys hair(met).

Is that a rug or what??

Got all my chores done this AM in time for the copious rains of the afternoon!

The ''Gmeister'' is visiting for a few weeks so's I entertained her rather than spend much time on the build. I hope to have it done before noon tomorrow and will see about the maiden.

I'm going to take it slow and see if I can't get this CG thang under control before I fly!

All the best!

b
Looks like you have some rain as well. Wait for the Gmeister to have a nap and get building. [img][/img]
Today I needed some solder so while I was in the electronics store I picked up one of these.
Great soldering practise and my friend who rents a room in my house is in for a sleepless night.[img][/img]

I had a friend who could make two noises by mouth without being detected:

1) The cricket and

2) A cat meowing

I have seen him drive folks CRAZY with the cat! He literally could throw that cat noise so successfully that the ''victim'' along with he and I would look around the exterior of more than one persons home for the erroneous cat. MOTHER OF GOD, it was funny!

b
Well it didnt work to well last night. The stupid thing started chirping way before it was dark enough.
I saw in the instructions that a diferent resistor in the circuit would let it wait until the room was darker so off to the store for a pack of them.[img][/img]
Only problem is the guy is a police officer so hope he doesnt bring his gun home.[img][/img]

Dang!!

Additionally, the cricket sound needs to be light as can be. Only perceptible when all is very quiet! Heheh. I'm having almost as much fun as you!

Yah, being a cop, he DOES carry a gun and maybe a grudge!

All the best!

b
Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

Hey rb, I was wondering where the pics were but I see them up now. That is one pretty HK 450!

Tinker toys...saw them sitting over on an old play table and thought PERFECT! It does work good

And that's my phone number in case I lose the plane a few miles away.

Cold, wet and windy here too...cheers to us both for a good maiden

Ken
Hmmmmm I've given thought to your having your number on your plane and it's not pretty.

You may need to rethink this.

b

Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Ddaddy

Hey rb, I was wondering where the pics were but I see them up now. That is one pretty HK 450!
Tinker toys...saw them sitting over on an old play table and thought PERFECT! It does work good
Ken
Hmmmmm I've given thought to your having your number on your plane and it's not pretty.

b

No worries...I used your phone number

Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM
rikybob

Ken

b

No worries...I used your phone number

Thatsa boy!

I knew you would appreciate the set up!

b
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Kozzy_98

Hi guys

Finished putting my head back together after bending the main and feathering shafts.
I ordered a new head block from HK which is the GT head block.
However, there is an obvious wobble when the head spins, as though something is off balance. Also, my blades won't track correctly which points to a badly made headblock. Bummer!

Still haven't gotten rid of the wobble on the MCPX, but I still need to clean one more servo on it to be sure that I have done everything possible.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
ingleburn

Hi all, anyone after a ZYX-S heres a buddycode to get it for $45.

rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy/
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Hi guys

Finished putting my head back together after bending the main and feathering shafts.
I ordered a new head block from HK which is the GT head block.
However, there is an obvious wobble when the head spins, as though something is off balance. Also, my blades won't track correctly which points to a badly made headblock. Bummer!

Still haven't gotten rid of the wobble on the MCPX, but I still need to clean one more servo on it to be sure that I have done everything possible.
You dont seem to be having much luck Kozzy.

Maybe your main bearings are shot.

Or maybe its time to invest in a better quality heli. If the weather stays fine I might take my old HK450 out for a spin today. Should be a laugh.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
ingleburn

Well I just got back from flying the HK450 FB'd and Ive got to say, holey smoke how did I ever fly it.

I was all over the place, lost orientation, almost ploughed it into the ground a few times and overall a handful.

I take my hat off to Rob who stills uses flybars but you wont see me going back there.

Back it goes on the shelf till I feel like a laugh again.

Video uploading now for your enjoyment.

Kozzy you have an MCPX that uses a FBL controller so might be time to think about doing it to your 450. You wont regret it.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Kozzy_98

You mean the bearings in the blade grips or the bearings along the main shaft?

Eventually I will go FBL, once I can actually fly confidently in all orientations $80 of servos and a $50 FBL controller make it not worth for me to go FBL just yet...
Old 04-05-2013, 05:03 PM
ingleburn

You mean the bearings in the blade grips or the bearings along the main shaft?

Eventually I will go FBL, once I can actually fly confidently in all orientations $80 of servos and a $50 FBL controller make it not worth for me to go FBL just yet...
Main shaft bearings. Could also be servo slop, dampers, bent shafts(some do come pre bent) or any number of things.
I know I once had some shaking and found if I grabbed the head and moved it side to side and back and forth there was play between the shaft and bearings.
Replaced them with Tarot bearings and all good. If they are a loose fit you can carefully loctite them into to holders.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM
ingleburn

Enjoy this out of control, crazy flight. All flybars should be burnt.
Edit. Looks like RCU is playing up again.
www.youtube.com/watch

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZeZvw7jozc[/youtube]
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Kozzy_98

Well I just took everything off the main shaft and guess what? There was a wobble!

Notchy main shaft bearing are in the process of being lubricated rather than me having to buy more bearings :/
Will also try another main shaft.

With the bearings I degrease them (usually by letting them burn in some metho) and then apply some bearing lube.

Also does anyone know whats wrong with leaderhobby? Their prices for their items are through the roof. For example, This and this
Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 PM
ingleburn

Well I just took everything off the main shaft and guess what? There was a wobble!

Notchy main shaft bearing are in the process of being lubricated rather than me having to buy more bearings :/

With the bearings I degrease them (usually by letting them burn in some metho) and then apply some bearing lube.

Also does anyone know whats wrong with leaderhobby? Their prices for their items are through the roof. For example, This and this
Dont know if burning them is the best way. Kerosene and a toothbrush a much safer idea.
Lubing them wont take the wobble out. My LHS sells them for $5.
Best to fix a problem not half fix it.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:02 PM
ahamay

Dont know if burning them is the best way. Kerosene and a toothbrush a much safer idea.
Lubing them wont take the wobble out. My LHS sells them for $5.
Best to fix a problem not half fix it.
A can of brake cleaner is very good for cleaning out used bearings. But in this case imo they are not worth buggering about with to clean and repack them. Hobbyking sell them for next to nothing. Good mainshaft and tail shaft bearings are critical to a vibration free heli.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Rob2160

Well I just got back from flying the HK450 FB'd and Ive got to say, holey smoke how did I ever fly it.

I was all over the place, lost orientation, almost ploughed it into the ground a few times and overall a handful.

I take my hat off to Rob who stills uses flybars but you wont see me going back there.

Back it goes on the shelf till I feel like a laugh again.

Video uploading now for your enjoyment.

Kozzy you have an MCPX that uses a FBL controller so might be time to think about doing it to your 450. You wont regret it.

Actually, losing skills with the flybarred helis is one reason i never went to Flybarless. I have the MCPXs, the 130 X and they just feel too "robotic" and a little too easy to fly inverted.. (still lots of fun and extremely good for advancing and developing new skills. , but I really do love the feeling of a flybar heli.. it seems more fluid in many ways and less robotic. I think I would miss that if I went to all flybarless Helis...)

Having said that, I actually don't have any real experience with larger flybarless helis and FBL systems so I could be completely wrong about how they feel when flying.. (just basing my comments on the small blade Helis mainly )

Can't see myself building any more big helis for a while.. hope to get some flying in the next few weeks... Been mainly just the BL MCPX these days.. which is a little beauty.....

Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 AM
Kozzy_98

Yeah lubing them up didn't help anyway. Time to give Mr Anthony Hand some more $

Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 AM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

Check the main shaft close it's possible it is bent.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:37 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Actually, losing skills with the flybarred helis is one reasoni never went to Flybarless. I have the MCPXs, the 130 X and they just feel too "robotic" and a little too easy to fly inverted.. (still lots of fun and extremely good for advancing and developing new skills. , but I really do love the feeling of a flybar heli.. it seems more fluid in many ways and less robotic. I think I would miss that if I went to all flybarless Helis...)

Having said that, I actually don't have any real experience with larger flybarless helis and FBL systems so I could be completely wrong about how they feel when flying.. (just basing my comments on the small blade Helis mainly )

Can't see myself building any more big helis for a while.. hope to get some flying in the next few weeks... Been mainly just the BL MCPX these days.. which is a little beauty.....

Not having a great deal of experience with flybarred helis its hard to say what the difference in feel is.
Easier to fly? Yes once you get used to it.
Robotic? MMM I would say connected. The controller takes out the external influences on the heli allowing you to concentrate on flying. Unless you are Simon with V3.5.

If you are happy to stay with flybars then do it because I think if you ever change you wont go back.

Yep Im enjoying the BL as well but nothing beats the 450's.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: ahamay

A can of brake cleaner is very good for cleaning out used bearings. But in this case imo they are not worth buggering about with to clean and repack them. Hobbyking sell them for next to nothing. Good mainshaft and tail shaft bearings are critical to a vibration free heli.

When was the last time you bought a bearing from HK.Im not game to use any in my helis anymore.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:56 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: ahamay

When was the last time you bought a bearing from HK.Im not game to use any in my helis anymore.

I was thinking budget. I never had a problem with the packs of bearings from hobby king. Mainly main shaft and tail bearings. But I do agree is best to spend the 5 bucks and get the align bearings and never have to worry about replacing them for a long time.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Rob2160

Not having a great deal of experience with flybarred helis its hard to say what the difference in feel is.
Robotic? MMM I would say connected. The controller takes out the external influences on the heli allowing you to concentrate on flying. Unless you are Simon with V3.5.

If you are happy to stay with flybars then do it because I think if you ever change you wont go back.

Robotic was probably the wrong word.. I really do love flying the flybarless micros.. (88 nights so far in hotels since Jan 1 2013.. - the Nano gets a workout...)

Maybe no way to explain it.. I have two of the eflite Sbach 342s, one is older with no AS3X and the other has AS3X.. Man they fly differently.. completely differently.

The AS3X is far superior is gusty or windy conditions because it is much more flyable. but in nil wind the non AS3X version is the nicer of the two as it feels to have a totally different flight envelope.

I think its a combination of things that have stopped me trying Flybarless.. Probably laziness is the first..

all my helis are red loctited and hotglued, so modifying them will be a huge operation.. I have 12 HK 450s, all tweaked nicely now.. and the two 550s that I virtually never fly.

I do like the simplicity of the cleaner head design with Flybarless, I used to build a new heli each month, but now have only built one in the past 14 months.. I even thought of just bying a 450 X or 500 X from Eflite but when i looked at them they seem way too expensive for so many plastic parts..

You are probably right that if I build a Flybarless I will never go back (which would make 14 of my helis redundant hangar queens.. eeek!... LOL)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Robotic? MMM I would say connected. The controller takes out the external influences on the heli allowing you to concentrate on flying. Unless you are Simon with V3.5. [img][/img]

Robotic was probably the wrong word.. I really do love flying the flybarless micros.. (88 nights so far in hotels since Jan 1 2013.. - the Nano gets a workout...)

Maybe no way to explain it.. I have two of the eflite Sbach 342s, one is older with no AS3X and the other has AS3X.. Man they fly differently.. completely differently.

The AS3X is far superior is gusty or windy conditions because it is much more flyable. but in nil wind the non AS3X version is the nicer of the two as it feels to have a totally different flight envelope.

I think its a combination of things that have stopped me trying Flybarless.. Probably laziness is the first..

all my helis are red loctited and hotglued, so modifying them will be a huge operation.. I have 12 HK 450s, all tweaked nicely now.. and the two 550s that I virtually never fly.

I do like the simplicity of the cleaner head design with Flybarless, I used to build a new heli each month, but now have only built one in the past 14 months.. I even thought of just bying a 450 X or 500 X from Eflite but when i looked at them they seem way too expensive for so many plastic parts..

You are probably right that if I build a Flybarless I will never go back (which would make 14 of my helis redundant hangar queens.. eeek!... LOL)
Hiya Rob,

Knowing you, you would really enjoy the FBL systems available now. In particular the ZYX and its cousins.

If one was just starting out and they had a few xtra buck (and I mean, just a few) I'd get a 30 dollar Copter X FBL unit. Get shed of all that crap hangin' off the rotor and get a 15 dollar FBL head and for 5 bux a USB connector. Then I'd follow Simons (and this pains me, really pains me) GREAT viddy series to the "T" and you'll be up in the air in NO TIME!

There IS a caveat however and that is all your other parts and pieces on the heli have to be in near perfect condition so as to hold vibration down to a minimum (read: you can't have a crappy tail unit)!

Since I have flown both the FB and FBL units I am actually qualified to make an observation and it is simply this: With FBL it is like flying a FB unit with 1/2 lb of flybar weights on it without a lag.

Great stability without a robotic feel and all that can be attenuated by the GREAT software that accompanies the unit.

In addition to the above you have added advantage of less crap to break and less rotational mass doe to less parts/pieces slingin' around.

Since I know you personally I would like to address the above in red.

I wouldn't call you "lazy" these days but moreover "distracted" in a very good way with career and professional life!

For the rest of us who are't as "fulfilled" and have some extra change in our pocket it's a fun and beneficial "mod" to make!

All the best!

Brother Brian
Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Ddaddy

Hiya Rob,

Knowing you, you would really enjoy the FBL systems available now. In particular the ZYX and its cousins.

If one was just starting out and they had a few xtra buck (and I mean, just a few) I'd get a 30 dollar Copter X FBL unit. Get shed of all that crap hangin' off the rotor and get a 15 dollar FBL head and for 5 bux a USB connector. Then I'd follow Simons (and this pains me, really pains me) GREAT viddy series to the "T" and you'll be up in the air in NO TIME!

There IS a caveat however and that is all your other parts and pieces on the heli have to be in near perfect condition so as to hold vibration down to a minimum (read: you can't have a crappy tail unit)!

Since I have flown both the FB and FBL units I am actually qualified to make an observation and it is simply this: With FBL it is like flying a FB unit with 1/2 lb of flybar weights on it without a lag.

Great stability without a robotic feel and all that can be attenuated by the GREAT software that accompanies the unit.

In addition to the above you have added advantage of less crap to break and less rotational mass doe to less parts/pieces slingin' around.

Since I know you personally I would like to address the above in red.

I wouldn't call you "lazy" these days but moreover "distracted" in a very good way with career and professional life!

For the rest of us who are't as "fulfilled" and have some extra change in our pocket it's a fun and beneficial "mod" to make!

All the best!

Brother Brian
+1.....(talk about pain! rb is right on, it can be adjusted to be like a FB, a robot or as twitchy as a game warden on opening day)

On another note, my new HK450 (cough cough) is quick, easy and cheap to repair! Albeit the wind is an issue for me with it and still no fpv yet.

Anyone interested in some Phoenix fun fly later today?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Guy's had a beautiful day today, went flying with Bryan and TJ. I got to fly my Waco and pawnee while Bryan put his helis through the paces. He had the 450 and 500 working great flips loops rolls inverted he is getting good. TJ had his quad flying using a video moniter to fly by,

I don't think I could do that.

As for me the planes went great but yesterday my trex 500 lost the main gear in flight you can guess the rest. yes she went in the damage was bad! got the dfc rotor head main shaft tail boom landing gear and a lot of other things!!!!!   Today the gaui 425 went in!!!!! Tail push rod hung up and the rest is history! Got the frame boom gear blades. I thaught I was going to cry!!!

I found all the parts to rebuild her for less than the dfc head on the trex. so I guess a mail man will make a vist to ga. I hope every one else had a great weekend. TJ will be posting the gaui crash I look forward to seeing it.  Well it's back to work tommrow to pay for the carnage

Hugh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.