Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Ddaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

I've been wanting to try these.  

Especially when I get slop in a head. There's discussion they are better and I can see why (all else being the same).

And I wouldn't use the 3mm shafts on anything larger than a 250/SR IMO.

Clear skies and calm winds
Ken
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy
Especially when I get slop in a head. There'sdiscussionthey are better and I can see why (all else being the same).
Ken
I've got this type in my second 450 PRO and it's the same type that's shipping with the new kits. I can't see how this is any better than the other fs apart from maby keeping some more of your grease in the thrust bearing from escaping. I've noticed no difference in the way the heli fly's. In fact I've just put an old sytle FS back into this heli after the crash I had the other week. There's obviously a reason why they have done this...maby to move the laterall load or something, but untill I see some actuall facts I see no reason to stop using the old style.

This is not going to solve slop in your head. If you have slop in your head then there's something else wrong, like worn parts or tolerances not right.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 AM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: ahamay

Especially when I get slop in a head. There'sdiscussionthey are better and I can see why (all else being the same).
Ken
I've got this type in my second 450 PRO and it's the same type that's shipping with the new kits. I can't see how this is any better than the other fs apart from maby keeping some more of your grease in the thrust bearing from escaping. I've noticed no difference in the way the heli fly's. In fact I've just put an old sytle FS back into this heli after the crash I had the other week. There's obviously a reason why they have done this...maby to move the laterall load or something, but untill I see some actuall facts I see no reason to stop using the old style.

This is not going to solve slop in your head. If you have slop in your head then there's something else wrong, like worn parts or tolerances not right.
Just pulled my other Tarot head and it has the old style FS in it. Ill just grease that up for now as I have a spare shaft as well. I notice that the new style FS only seems to be sold with thrust bearings included.
Do you know anywhere that just sell the shafts or do you need to buy the whole thing?
Im not really fussed about which I use but it would be good to have some of both.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 AM
ingleburn

Those ones with the nyloc nuts look like they are 3mm. The Tarot PRO ones should be 4mm shaft.

Yes they are 3mm but come with new bearings and dampers to suit. Might have a play later and see if I can work them out.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:45 AM
pushinoldrc
My Feedback: (46)

Ken

I have found that the bearings in the blade grips will ring the FS just enough to give quite a bit of slop to the head. Replacing the FS takes care of this like a champ. I had never notice this before, probably because I wasn't able to fly one bird long enough to wear one out.
I had to replace the FS just last week on my HDX FBL 3G as I had noticed an increased tendancy to pitch up in FFF. She flies great now.
B

Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 AM
rikybob

@ All - "What the hell are you talking about"??!!!?? That made me laugh! I love a slightly over measured response!!!!

@ Jonesy - Ewwwwww you are gonna poop yourself if you get a 500. I HIGHLY recommend the 550 class b/c once you invest in the 500 batteries it kinda locks you in to that size but I DO have some experience with the HK 500 and The Align 500. Budget wise the HK 500 is very near the quality of the Align frame and you save around 1/5 in price. So basically if you buy an HK heli the money you save against an Align gets you free batteries. Make sense?? A lot of folks fly [link=http://www.ksmodel.com.hk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=607]THIS[/link] brand at the field and are very happy!

If you have Ken and Simon money just buy a Goblin and be done with it! It's a feat of engineering and literally is the coolest lookin' heli on the market!

b
Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: rikybob

@ All - "What the hell are you talking about"??!!!?? That made me laugh! I love a slightly over measured response!!!!<<<<<

@ Jonesy - Ewwwwww you are gonna poop yourself if you get a 500. I HIGHLY recommend the 550 class b/c once you invest in the 500 batteries it kinda locks you in to that size but I DO have some experience with the HK 500 and The Align 500. Budget wise the HK 500 is very near the quality of the Align frame and you save around 1/5 in price. So basically if you buy an HK heli the money you save against an Align gets you free batteries. Make sense?? A lot of folks fly [link=http://www.ksmodel.com.hk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=607]THIS[/link] brand at the field and are very happy!

You didn't work at Maccas did you..... trying to upsell me already At this stage i'm looking at the HK-500TT FBL. Tarot only do a 500 in a Flybar belt kit and I'd rather not do a conversion. Tarot make some nice bits for the 500's including FBL head so I would get Tarot spares.

If you have Ken and Simon money just buy a Goblin and be done with it! It's a feat of engineering and literally is the coolest lookin' heli on the market!

I don't think I would buy a Goblin even if I could afford it. It's a bit of a look at me heli.... plus my limited skill would be wasted on it.

b
Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 AM
ingleburn

I've decided that once I finish this 450 build Im going to do a 500 build. I think it's a nice compromise between initial cost and the cost to repair vs anything bigger. I don't know what flavour or kit etc I'm going to go for but I'll be doing some research (a lot) before I go ahead.

It's interesting reading about the FPV adventures but it doesn't really interest me, nor do the quadcopters. I do however like watching the footage of some locations done with a camera on a quad fpv style.

We have some nice weather by the looks of it this weeks so hopefully I can get out and practice some new moves to try and keep up with Ingleburn.

I like the look of these.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...opter_Kit.html
But the way Im flying at the moment forget about it.
You have enough moves without resorting to be reckless like me.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 AM
Kozzy_98

One day I will be able to afford a KDS helicopter.

So what are the main differences between the GT and the V2? If it is the blade grips, I have metal ones for the head and tail. If its the tail assembly itself, I have a few metal ones in my spares box. Just that the whole kit is a fair bit cheaper than the GT.

Ideally, if HK/LH still sold the $9/$10 heli I would get one of those!!

Eventually I will get a HK450 Pro, and what cyclic servos will work with it? If I can remember correctly Rob used some hitec ones, but would the HK939MG servos work with it?

Get the Goblin, you won't regret it! Even if it sits on your shelf for a while you WILL eventually fly it!!

Or get a HK600 and be very, very happy...

I love the sound that the really big electric helis make with the lower frequency hum.

The main cost with the bigger helis however are the batteries, especially if you decide to have multiple ones.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

The only problem with watching guys better than you fly is it encourages you to try to better your skills faster than you should.
Take this morning for example. 2 packs of circuits and inverted. Then tried inverted piros. Bit of a challenge but all good.
What about a couple of tight loops. Ok a bit scarey but all good.
Next was some FF piros. Now they were fun and got the blood pumping. Now right there is where I should have stopped and practised all my new found tricks.
NO!!!!, what do I do. Lets see what happens if I do half a piro in FF and try some backwards flight.
Couple of runs and kept correcting the wrong way but had enough height to recover until the last one 30 seconds from the end of the last battery.
Dumb thumbed it straight into the ground. Usual damage except for the first time I stripped a main gear. Guess the parts box will finally get a work out.
Also stripped a servo so if Simon sees this where do you buy the gearsets for the Inolab servos?

Anyhow determined not to let a crash get in the way of a good day I took the BL out next and first battery decided to try inverted FF.
Lets just say that the new boom gifted to me is splinters along with the landing gear.

Time to rebuild and take it slower next time even though I had a great morning.
Sounds fun Noel & sorry to hear of the mishap.

I buy the servo gear sets from this place which is local to me:

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/ino-...s-p-13626.html

Helidirect used to have them but they have vanished off their website. Many other places seem out of stock at the moment Try googling - ino-lab HG-202 gear set

Simon

Old 04-15-2013, 04:31 AM
sgbfly

Well my new super long range fpv system came in yesterday along with my special TX (with 99 channels) I contracted with NASA to make. I have satelite time rented (that is until my own satelite lauches next week) and alotted for all day today and a takeoff time at noon local.

My first mission is going to be a "SEARCH and navigation mission", plan to follow up with additional misions to try out ALL THE CHANNELS I HAVE for accesories and other DETACHABLES!

Oh, Simon, the live feed is set up to you and I see no problems coordinating the follow up missions once we have our satelite in orbit! BTW, crazy amount of distance and payload that new bird of yours has!

Oh, it was a few extra $ but I went ahead and got the stealth version aircraft, I liked it so much I ordered you 1 too

Here's my flight plan for today...

[URL=http://s35.photobucket.com/user/daddylex/media/rbniggling_zps86d99531.png.html]
Cool Ken!

My nose is pressed against the window eagerly awaiting the postman

Simon

Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 AM
sgbfly

Of course this all goes out the window when you realise that Simon only has cheap kits and Rob has 24 450's and none are FBL. They make them work so you can as well but it takes time to learn how to do it.
Start watching videos again and asking questions.
Sorry for quoting only a small part of your post.

The thing about my cheap helis is that only the frame remains! It's very hard to go wrong with the frame, tail boom, landing skids and stabilisers! All rotating parts have been upgraded to either Align, Tarot or carefeully selected HK or LH parts depending on peer review or my own trail and error.

What I mean to say is I agree with everything unquoted! lol But there is a lot of fun to be had in tending to an ugly duckling as it matures into a swan!

Simon

ps. By far the most important part remains the nut behind the sticks!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 AM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

The only problem with watching guys better than you fly is it encourages you to try to better your skills faster than you should.
Take this morning for example. 2 packs of circuits and inverted. Then tried inverted piros. Bit of a challenge but all good.
What about a couple of tight loops. Ok a bit scarey but all good.
Next was some FF piros. Now they were fun and got the blood pumping. Now right there is where I should have stopped and practised all my new found tricks.
NO!!!!, what do I do. Lets see what happens if I do half a piro in FF and try some backwards flight.
Couple of runs and kept correcting the wrong way but had enough height to recover until the last one 30 seconds from the end of the last battery.
Dumb thumbed it straight into the ground. Usual damage except for the first time I stripped a main gear. Guess the parts box will finally get a work out.
Also stripped a servo so if Simon sees this where do you buy the gearsets for the Inolab servos?

Anyhow determined not to let a crash get in the way of a good day I took the BL out next and first battery decided to try inverted FF.
Lets just say that the new boom gifted to me is splinters along with the landing gear.

Time to rebuild and take it slower next time even though I had a great morning.
Sounds fun Noel & sorry to hear of the mishap.

I buy the servo gear sets from this place which is local to me:

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/ino-...s-p-13626.html

Helidirect used to have them but they have vanished off their website. Many other places seem out of stock at the moment Try googling - ino-lab HG-202 gear set

Simon

Thanks Simon, already ordered the last 3 sets from New Zealand but wouldnt mind a couple more. Your site wants payment up front for the servos but shipping has to be payed seperately and is not showed on the order.
The only postage they have to AUS is 3 day express and Im worried what that will be. Dont want to pay for the gears and get a $30 bill for postage.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 AM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

So what are the main differences between the GT and the V2? If it is the blade grips, I have metal ones for the head and tail. If its the tail assembly itself, I have a few metal ones in my spares box. Just that the whole kit is a fair bit cheaper than the GT.

Eventually I will get a HK450 Pro, and what cyclic servos will work with it? If I can remember correctly Rob used some hitec ones, but would the HK939MG servos work with it?

Get the Goblin, you won't regret it! Even if it sits on your shelf for a while you WILL eventually fly it!!

I love the sound that the really big electric helis make with the lower frequency hum.

The main cost with the bigger helis however are the batteries, especially if you decide to have multiple ones.

Take what Simon said onboard. To get the HK helis to fly you keep the frame and not much else. Start saving for a better kit and save a lot of hassles down the track.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

The 450 Pro uses a completely different mounting system for the servos than the other 450 varieties. The 939s are no good as they won't mount securely due to the small plastic stub on the top of the mounting flange..

Serovs that works great in the 450 Pro - Hitech HS65MG, I have two Pros with these...

and also the RC711 3dpro Servos.. these for collective - http://www.rc711.com/shop/3dpro-s410...?cPath=249_252

$8 a piece

This for tail - $19

http://www.rc711.com/shop/3dpro-ds92...?cPath=249_252

The 3dpro servos will fit perfectly in the pro and have proven to be extremely good. I can't tell the different between the Futaba 9257 and the 3dpro version...

Can't remember the other differences in the V2 over the GT, I ended up giving the V2 away because I was never happy with it..

I read all these post and I agree that you get what you pay for in quality, but I have to say my HK helis have been amazingly good out of the box.. perhaps the quality has reduced since I bought most of my kits in 2010 and early 2011. .

2 x 450 GTs - running over 1300 flights on one and 700 on the 2nd, all stock and original and they are as smooth and reliable as my Gaui X5.

4 x 450 Pro;'s averaging about 500 flights each.. the same.. all running perfect..

The only thing I can say about the Gaui X5 is the scorpion motor and Futaba Gyro are much nicer and better quality than the cheaper HK stuff.

But discounting cheaper electrics, I really can't fault the airframes at all..

And BRIAN said NOT to use RED Loctite..... I think that and generous Labelle accounts for a lot..

Happy to have a flying day in Sydney next time I am there.. see what you guys think of the 100 Kph Heli.. (1300 flights and the airframe is original and smooth as silk.. I have replaced the first set of Hitech servos on this heli because they started to glitch after about 700 flights, replaced a brushless motor that wore out after 600 flights also but the dang airframe keeps on truckin....)

Videos for Kozzy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C57D3Tyju-Y[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPnv4hWh6mM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8td9LPlrqI[/youtube]

Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Ddaddy

Geez! I need to get some social skill training from rb!

re: Tarot's new FS design

Like I said I wanted to try them to see if they are better.  Like Tarot's engineering premise, I agree they should be better.

I should have been more specific than just saying "slop", sorry.

As I understand the purpose of the change was to place the 2 radial bearings further apart. Given the same milling tolerance on the blade grips this would decrease radial play in the blade grips (and possibly improve lateral loading on the radial bearing). This would provide more precise pitch changes (and possibly decrease wear). 

I hate how sloppy some radial bearings fit in blade grips but also hate loctiting them in (lazy).  However, I do find this along with stiffer dampners improve fbl for me.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Rob2160

A general and probably silly question about flybarless..

Would it be even remotely possible for a flybarless Heli to fly without using a FBL unit.. IE, just servo mounted directly to the swashplate.

I am assuming the swash still uses the basic 120 degree arrangement?

Or would it be so ridiculously unstable that no human could hope to fly it?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Ddaddy

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Would it be even remotely possible for a flybarless Heli to fly without using a FBL unit.. IE, just servo mounted directly to the swashplate.

Hi Rob,

Mechanically the swash is still 210 degree but in Tx most fbl units have it set to 90 degree. The reason is for the FBL unit to handle mixing and not the Tx.

And yes, people have flown heli's without flybar and FBL...I understand it is hard!

Best,
Ken

Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 AM
sgbfly

Hi Rob,

From what I understand the cyclic extremely responsive and hard to control but just about manageable. You would think the bigger the bird the greater chance of success. I think the starting point is the 120 degree swash and mixing.

You're the man to try this - after all you are an organic flight stabilisation unit!

S

Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Ddaddy

Well the weather was nice later today (and after lunch).

Took the AXN FPV out again, again the DVR failed but got a little video (i was still trimming etc). My son was copilot and wore the googles after dvr failure and I had it trimed. I also cut power completely...she does glide well. Happy about the video quality of this entry level stuff too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuYikS0N1zU

Did 2 450 keycam #3 flights too. Stabiliest video I've ever got (just put a new FBL head on with new bearings). Not impressed with my jerkiness though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRkH-_MKg6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UTRoM2cNKw

Hi Ken,

Nice videos mate and well done on getting good onboard from a 450 as it ain't easy (especially in bright light). As for the jerkyness, if you are using an early zyx firmware maybe reducing the rc deadbands will help smooth out the small stick movements. Perhaps reduce from 40 to 20 or even 10 on both main rotor and tail.

Simon

Hey Simon,,

They were both set on 30, I decreased them to 10 and did notice improvement. However, with lots of 27 mph gusts, it was a collective nightmare so just did a small bit by the house and set it down after a minute and came back in!

Thanks,
Ken

Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Rob2160

Hi Rob,

From what I understand the cyclic extremely responsive and hard to control but just about manageable. You would think the bigger the bird the greater chance of success. I think the starting point is the 120 degree swash and mixing.

You're the man to try this - after all you are an organic flight stabilisation unit!

S

Thanks Ken and Simon,

Yes,I will definately try it now.. should have just googled it.... check these vids.. FBL head with no flybarless unit...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q64Fxhtf60[/youtube]

This next video is really motivating me.. I think I'll try one soon..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLn3OMFunoY[/youtube]

Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Ddaddy

Hey Rob, 

I'm sure you'll do fine...don't forget to video

Best,
Ken
Old 04-16-2013, 03:20 AM
rikybob

@ Jonesy - Good choice on the HK - There is a GIMONGOUS thread on it on R_ Groups. I really, really enjoyed the kit and so much so I sold it to Bryan in Georgia who I think may have killed it? It's all I can do to just pull that belt tail off of my Align 500 and put the ole Tarot T/T on. Yah, I bought a ridiculously handsome red canopy (coming from China in about a month) for it to dress it up a bit! For lack of better terms the thing just has "presence"! It's just a phreakin JOY to fly!

@ Ken - "Geez! I need to get some social skill training from rb!" Yah, I teach elocution lessons and have been known to instruct "debutante training as well". Just send me a check!

@ Rob - Doooooo it! DO IT! Fly the heli "nekkid" Who needs a gyro anyway??!!!!!

@ All - We will see what my days off bring. Wifey's '13 Nissan has a "wind noise issue" so's I'm up early tomorrow getting that looked at and then Thursday EARLY the diabetic doc wants my blood (they always want blood). In and around that time I am going to see if I can make good on a conversation Ken and I had about trying to get Phoenix up and running and connected.

The days afterward I will get minor eye surgery and convalesce on a beach in south Florida!

I'll try to slip out to the field and get a little "dork cap" action as well!

Hope y'all get shum sckickt time!

b
Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM
ingleburn

So I was over at the #16 forum just now and guess what? www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php
Looks like he is back. Wonder if we will get a visit soon.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM
rikybob

So I was over at the #16 forum just now and guess what? www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php
Looks like he is back. Wonder if we will get a visit soon.

Thanks for the tip!!

I MISS the little devil!

b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.