Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:23 PM
ahamay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Hi Kiddies,

Well I've had 4 days off and the weather has been great. Managed to get a fly in with my flying buddy Troy one morning. First time for me seeing his Trex 600 and the first time he's been in a bigger area to fly it. Needs a few tweeks on the gyro but overall it's really a weapon... I was suitably impressed by the size of that disk and the noise. Viddy below of the 600.

He's also into scale and has a number of scale body helis. The latest edition was the Hughes $50 fuse from HobbyKing for the 450. Looks great in the air and a bargain at that price. I'm going to get one later on for one of my Tarot 450 Pro's. Viddy below of the Hughes.

I also sold my latest build Tarot 450 V2 FBL, which opened up some funds to put towards a 500 build. I have a Tarot 500 ESP Kit on the way. This kit comes with belt and flybar, but I've also purchased an FBL head and torque tube to convert it straight away. I was looking at getting the new FBL HK 500 but I swore I would never get another Hk helicopter kit again and the reviews I read people were having to replace a lot of stuff on them off the bat which I didn't want to have to do. So very much looking forward to the 500 build in the coming weeks when it all turns up.

600 Pro DFC

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsSc45QRSEM[/youtube]

HK Hughes Fuse on Blade 450 3D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8FlsQ0e-pM[/youtube]

Old 04-27-2013, 05:50 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: ahamay

Hi Kiddies,

Well I've had 4 days off and the weather has been great. Managed to get a fly in with my flying buddy Troy one morning. First time for me seeing his Trex 600 and the first time he's been in a bigger area to fly it. Needs a few tweeks on the gyro but overall it's really a weapon... I was suitably impressed by the size of that disk and the noise. Viddy below of the 600.

He's also into scale and has a number of scale body helis. The latest edition was the Hughes $50 fuse from HobbyKing for the 450. Looks great in the air and a bargain at that price. I'm going to get one later on for one of my Tarot 450 Pro's. Viddy below of the Hughes.

I also sold my latest build Tarot 450 V2 FBL, which opened up some funds to put towards a 500 build. I have a Tarot 500 ESP Kit on the way. This kit comes with belt and flybar, but I've also purchased an FBL head and torque tube to convert it straight away. I was looking at getting the new FBL HK 500 but I swore I would never get another Hk helicopter kit again and the reviews I read people were having to replace a lot of stuff on them off the bat which I didn't want to have to do. So very much looking forward to the 500 build in the coming weeks when it all turns up.

600 Pro DFC

Hiya Jonesy,

Taking a breath from being a "tourista" and checking in!

Jest got back from Tom Cruise "Oblivion" at the IMAX!

That SOB (as much as I hate to admit it) is an amazing talent!

Goodonya for rolling that 450 and goodonya for going with the Tarot 500! You WON'T be sorry. It goes without saying but Tarot is literally 90% the quality of Align!

As for me I'm gunnin' but NOT ambitiously for a used 550.

I know it seems KRAZY but the 600 seems a bit much and the 500 is starting to seem a bit small (hell, it think it's been 3 years) and I suspect for me, the 550 will be juuuust right!

Good for your mate getting the cheap fuse up in the air. In my case I am literally fuse Kryptonite!

Hiya Ken - You are just about HELL on a telephone pole!

Back to relative anonymity!

b
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM
ingleburn

Hi Kiddies,

600 Pro DFC

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsSc45QRSEM

HK Hughes Fuse on Blade 450 3D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8FlsQ0e-pM

That 600 sounds awesome. I think the tail gain is a bit high though. Your field looks tiny when that thing is flying.
It didnt take long to sell the 450. A friend buy it or someone on the forums?
Looking forward to seeing the 500 build. Yeah I would be gun shy about a HK kit although my HK 450 is flying great at the moment. Only problem is there isnt much left on it that is HK.
Make sure you do a few vids when you are building it. Be good to see what its like.

Glad the weather has been good for you. Its been great here as well and just got back from flying 7 packs in both mine to check everything went well with the repairs.
Upgrading the HK 450 to 4.0 allowed me to raise the gains back up to 40 and it flew great. Actually liked it more than the Tarot so maybe the Align DFC head makes the difference.
Nearly crashed the Tarot on the second pack but saved it. Then a family and 2 dogs turned up so I flew a gentle last flight and got some video with blather which Ill upload later.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Ddaddy

Yea Jonesy, that 600 is BIG! I know I'm used to 450 and 500 which in reality have 325 and 425 blades....550's and 600's have appropriate sized blades so they are much bigger than the model numbers indicated...and parts cost!

The scale looks nice!  Would luv to see some close up pics

Grats on the 450 sale and I think you'll have fun with the 500.   Need to fly mine more....sigh, maybe put the new motor bearings in tonight.

Might upload some vidy later of 450 today.  Flew it after the plank...sure can't get it our there as far because seeing that thing is much different than 2 big white planks!  I would have lost it if I hadn't trusted my mind to know the orientation and the fact the tail stays solid, just pulled back on the ele and she came back  Eyes are sure not good these days....looks like it ain't moving then all of a sudden you see it hauling toward you!

And as Simon said earlier, decrease deadband helps tremendously with smoothness.

Oh, how'd the shooting go with the new scope the other day my upside down friend?

Cheers,
Ken
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Hiya Jonesy,

Goodonya for rolling that 450 and goodonya for going with the Tarot 500! You WON'T be sorry. It goes without saying but Tarot is literally 90% the quality of Align!

I know it seems KRAZY but the 600 seems a bit much and the 500 is starting to seem a bit small (hell, it think it's been 3 years) and I suspect for me, the 550 will be juuuust right!

Good for your mate getting the cheap fuse up in the air. In my case I am literally fuse Kryptonite!

b
Must have missed you popping in here. Hope your enjoying your break.
I thought there must have been a reason why you are hanging out at the club. Hope that 550 falls your way. Im still happy with the 450's so will stay with them for now.
One thing is bothering me though. Im noticing that when Im doing pitch pumps Its as if there is a delay in the collective before it starts to react.Then it will slingshot up.
Maybe the blades are flexing and take a while to bite. Using the HK 3DPro blades so might have to try some FBL blades and see if it makes a difference. Or maybe some stiffer dampers.Anyone else notice this?
Anyway here is my vid from today. Nothing special but there is blather and a funny bit at the start.
Think I should stick to flying instead of directing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuM3X9KOS4M[/youtube]

Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Kozzy_98

I believe I have found the source of my tracking issues...
The ball link from the blade grip into the flybar mixing arms. The screw in the ball link that goes into the mixing arms has some slop. Turns out that the threads in the mixing arms are stuffed.

However, I did try different blades and used some Align 325mm blades (Thanks Phil!!). They are a bit heavier than the usual $3 HK blades, and they make alot more noise, which is good!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:55 AM
ingleburn

Well today was one of those days you wish you could get all the time. Mild, sunny and no wind. After I got home I charged the batteries, had a rest and then went back out for another 5 packs.
A huge pack of Galahs attacked the heli on the first flight but luckily nothing damaged or killedand had the best time till the sun started to go down.
Hope you all got some stick time in but I doubt it was in better conditions than this. Gave the heli a hammering and a couple of FF piros thrown in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b08gBaQ4Wk8[/youtube]

Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Hi Kiddies,
600 Pro DFC
Hiya Jonesy,

b
As awesome as the 600 is I agree it's too much bird for me...mainly my wallet. The initial cost is around $900 for the kit but you need to add a fair amount on for big batteries, big chargers and power supply etc. Can't even imagine the cost of a crash repair. The blades alone are worth big dollars.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

Hi Kiddies,
That 600 sounds awesome. I think the tail gain is a bit high though. Your field looks tiny when that thing is flying.
It didnt take long to sell the 450. A friend buy it or someone on the forums?
Looking forward to seeing the 500 build. Yeah I would be gun shy about a HK kit although my HK 450 is flying great at the moment. Only problem is there isnt much left on it that is HK.
Make sure you do a few vids when you are building it. Be good to see what its like.

Glad the weather has been good for you. Its been great here as well and just got back from flying 7 packs in both mine to check everything went well with the repairs.
Upgrading the HK 450 to 4.0 allowed me to raise the gains back up to 40 and it flew great. Actually liked it more than the Tarot so maybe the Align DFC head makes the difference.
Nearly crashed the Tarot on the second pack but saved it. Then a family and 2 dogs turned up so I flew a gentle last flight and got some video with blather which Ill upload later.
Yeah, they really sound great, kind of like the deep burble of a sports car. The video does not do these things justice.

Sold the 450 on ebay last week no problems. It was a good deal for someone. Got back what I spent so all good. I'll do a few vids on the tarot 500 when it turns up.

Nice flying...watched your vids. It's awesome when you can get out and do a heap of packs in a day. 12 packs is a lot of flying, but nothing builds your skills like doing packs.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:40 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy
Yea Jonesy, that 600 is BIG! I know I'm used to 450 and 500 which in reality have 325 and 425 blades....550's and 600's have appropriate sized blades so they are much bigger than the model numbers indicated...and parts cost!
The scale looks nice! Would luv to see some close up pics
I was filming that 600 flight and the camera makes it look like I'm standing reasonably close...but i was standing WAY... back... let me tell ya.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 AM
rikybob

Hiya Kidz!!

We slept in today and the harbor tour doesn't start til later so's I had a read!

Ingleburn, don't you love it when you get in a BUNCH of packs in with NO crashing???

The only thing that could top of a day like that (gonna "PG" it up a bit) is if your best gal was holding a beer for you on the last flight!

Great flying and GREAT blather.

Well, I'll soon see the domino effect occur here. Jonesy is prying open his wallet and advancing to the next flight platform......who's next???

Ken is putting bearings back in his and will fly a bit more.

The pressure is ON!

The 500 IS sweeeeeet!

Getting the "hairy eyeball" ATM.

Time to go tour some more!!!

All the best!

b
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Ddaddy

Did a couple packs on the 500, nothing exciting just general small and safe hovering, pitch pumps and piros. Did find I have a pack with 1 bad cell and one pack going bad (both get hot and you can hear loss of power during flight).

Anyway, I wanted to share something with you that I do (you may already know or do a better way).

For some time I have experimented with the audio head speed apps both on iphone and pc. I even watch some utube vids and get head speed on those. The theory is sound but in practice there seems to be many things that can mess around with the results. However, I have found a method that works really well (for me). It involved the Java app "Heli-Headspeed". I take a video recording and convert it to a wav file (I use VirtualDub) and then load the wav file into heliheadspeed. Works great! And you can edit/cut the video at exact points before converting to wav to determine headspped at those points/manuevers. Oh, I have tested with keycam onboard and just having the keycam lying on the ground in close proximity. Works much better than the microphone

Have a great day (charging packs atm for some plank fun...maybe fpv
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Edmund2

Drilled the 550 into the ground!!!!!! Major damage but it can be fixed. Luckily it is discretionary bonus month so I will attempt to do it myself.  Ameriacn scope an absolute pleasure to use.

Edmund
Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Drilled the 550 into the ground!!!!!! Major damage but it can be fixed. Luckily it is discretionary bonus month so I will attempt to do it myself. Ameriacn scope an absolute pleasure to use.

Edmund

Hiya Edmund!

So sorry to hear about your crash. That's the 1st one on that air frame no?

What happened???

Recovering here from a 5 hour walking tour of Downtown Charleston South Carolina.

All the best!

b
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 AM
rikybob

Hiya Dan,

Been using heli head speed on the Casio Commando and what a great little app!

Simon's been using it on his lap top too!

Have fun doing the FPV!

Good bye Charleston!

Now on to Hilton Head!

b
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Ddaddy

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Drilled the 550 into the ground!!!!!! Major damage but it can be fixed. Luckily it is discretionary bonus month so I will attempt to do it myself. Ameriacn scope an absolute pleasure to use.

Edmund
Ouch! Nothing like a nice crisp image with good eye relief. Frankly, I'm amazed how well even cheap scopes pefrform these days. Hope your 550 is back in the air soon.

Ken

Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
ingleburn

@ Jonesy. Im sure the guy that bought your heli will be a happy camper. Looking forward to your 500 build. Im trying to find a store that sells the 450 TT conversion kit but all my usuals are out of stock. Do you know of anywhere that has them.

@ Brian. Been keeping an eye on your travels through FB. That much touring would wear me out. Point me to the nearest bar anyday. Im stuck with the 450's for now so no pressure on me. But if I were to scale up I think a 550 would be the one.

@ Ddaddy. I have heli-headspeed on my phone but just downloaded the java one and will give it a try. To bad I deleted my hover test run videos. Wish I had the time to get back into planks but helis are to much fun at the moment.

@ Edmond. Sorry about the 550. When you crash a micro you laugh, dust it off and most of the time go back to flying. With a 450 you think of the hours of rebuild time. Im guessing with a 550 the rebuild time is a close second to how much its going to cost.
Hope all your bonus isnt spent on getting it back in the air.

@ Kozzy. Hope you have finally fixed your problems. Its hard enough learning to fly at the best of times but a badly setup heli makes it impossible.

@ All. Weather is turning here so might be grounded for a while. Doesnt really matter as Im off again on Thursday for work. Be gone for a few weeks but will take the little ones to keep in practise.
It seems like on Sunday the guys turned up after I left and by the look of it I missed the action.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM
rikybob

Hiya Ingleburn!

Yah, the 500's and above are just silly easy to work on because there is no space constraints. I was just perusing the HK550 FBL T/T (drool) and it really wouldn't take that much to get one up and runnin'. The 5000mAH batteries are really getting to where a normal person can buy them (I DON'T have EBO money, afterall)!

Yeppers, thank God for the wifey in that if it were just me I wouldn't do even 1/2 the cool stuff we do! She's the best!

Now residing at [link=http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/HiltonHead.aspx?cid=sd_psg_b-property&gclid=CLqJ_5iX8bYCFYlQOgodjFMAuw]Hilton Head N.C.[/link] and just ate supper (2000hrs) and are sitting back in the suite takin' it easy. Wifey is doing 1/2 day conferences til Thursday so's I'm going to hang by the pool and pretend I'm an EBO!

All the best!

b
Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

Brian how doe's one say YOU SU!!!!!!!!!k Just kidding you luck dog It is beautiful there Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugh
Old 04-29-2013, 05:36 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: hugj

Brian how doe's one say YOU SU!!!!!!!!!k Just kidding you luck dog It is beautiful there Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugh

It's embarrassing!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Ddaddy

It's embarrassing!
Somehow I don't think your embassased at all! Don't get in trouble at the pool while she is working

Here's some boring stuff (me still practicing with my new HK450 AXN

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yAa_T_7qKE[/youtube]
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Edmund2

I forgot about the motto "height is your friend". Dumb thumbed a bit and wham into the ground with blades flying. Yes given our weak (1 Aus$ = 9.93 ZAR) currency it is going to cost a bit but the major Align importer in SA indicated that he will provide parts at "reasonable" prices to me. Helps if you go to the club and talk TREX to the guys over many Saturday afternoons even if you do not fly every time.

Edmund 

Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

It's embarrassing!
Somehow I don't think your embassased at all! Don't get in trouble at the pool while she is working (Ala "Ladies Man" Saturday Night Live) Would any of you ladis like some oil rubbed on your backs"?

Here's some boring stuff (me still practicing with my new HK450 AXN Good stuff! Comments on YT!

http://[youtube]http://www.youtube.c...[/youtube]
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 AM
ahamay

@ Jonesy. Im sure the guy that bought your heli will be a happy camper. Looking forward to your 500 build. Im trying to find a store that sells the 450 TT conversion kit but all my usuals are out of stock. Do you know of anywhere that has them.
Yeah was really a good deal. So what heli are you converting to TT ? Is it the HK450 PRO ?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM
ingleburn

Yeah was really a good deal. So what heli are you converting to TT ? Is it the HK450 PRO ?

Yeah its for the HK pro. Found a couple for the sport but thats all. Have the boom, gears and TT so might be easier just to order the tail box andboom mount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.