Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:24 PM
nervousheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Jonesy, I'm in. whatever ideas you got, has to be better than the web servers they are using for this site. 5 times a day I can't get access here, the server crashes with IIS, mysql or some other internet error. This is really enough to steer people away from this website. It really gives a bad taste in the mouth.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 PM
mnemennth

Don't hold back, Jonesy... tell us how ya really feel.

I don't have a lot to say on the subject of the servers one way or 'nuther; I'm just glad they're still here year after year. The PhPBB servers for the fan forum for one of my favorite webcomics... and mind you, this was an allegedly commercial webhost... they got infested with Alureon and had to do a nuke & pave. THENthey discovered they didn't have a single intact backup except the one they made when they first shifted over to the new server. A year and a half of fan community gestalt, about two hundred in-process turn-based forum games, many dating back to day one, hosted fanfic and fanart sections... all POOF! If the author hadn't stored backups of all his work on Google, he'd have lost half his archives too.

We burned the old host in effigy about a dozen times a day for weeks...

So... as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad yer still all here right where I left ya. Anything more than that is just gravy.

mnem
Well... there is that brown lump in the corner that's been there since I first subscribed. Does anybody know what it actually is?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:23 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: mnemennth
Don't hold back, Jonesy... tell us how ya really feel.
I don't have a lot to say on the subject of the servers one way or 'nuther; I'm just glad they're still here year after year. The PhPBB servers for the fan forum for one of my favorite webcomics... and mind you, this was an allegedly commercial webhost... they got infested with Alureon and had to do a nuke & pave. THENthey discovered they didn't have a single intact backup except the one they made when they first shifted over to the new server. A year and a half of fan community gestalt, about two hundred in-process turn-based forum games, many dating back to day one, hosted fanfic and fanart sections... all POOF! If the author hadn't stored backups of all his work on Google, he'd have lost half his archives too.
We burned the old host in effigy about a dozen times a day for weeks...
So... as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad yer still all here right where I left ya. Anything more than that is just gravy.
mnem
Well... there is that brown lump in the corner that's been there since I first subscribed. Does anybody know what it actually is?
Sadly, this is an all too common story. The webhosts that I deal with only do their own backups on a two week cycle and thats really only for there internal use so they can roll back to diagnose issues or trace the source of an intruder etc. Some of them will offer a restore service as a once off or for a fee. So unless your paying specifically for a backup solution then it's upto the webmaster or the forum tech to make sure regular backups of the sites are done including the mysql or whatever database flavour your using.

Going back to my previous post there is actually one thing this forum does great. You have the option to be notified whenever there is a post in a thread, not just the first post since you last visited like most forums do. But even this is a half assed implementation as the actual post content is not in the notification email. So you can't just look read it from the notification you have to load the whole forum everytime.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: ingleburn
ORIGINAL: rikybob
I guess we ARE at post 1693 of my banal piffle, balderdash, blather and poppycock!!!
We the web site gets crappy I like to blame it on Simon and then Jonesy does a "reboot"!
b
Yeah Im thinking it might be time to move it somewhere else more stable like RCG's but that might be impossible as there are to many people that only drop in once in a blue moon.
And I cant see RCU allowing a link to another site to stay here for to long. Guess where stuck with a Jonesy reboot every 100 pages or so.

I think Ingleburn's suggestion of moving this to RCG is probably the best option if you weigh up all the factors. I don't want to make the call as this thread was here long before I came on the scene but I think it's time that we did something about it. These are some things that I can think of that would be related to such an action. I think if we can get all the regular posters to agree to something like this then we just do it.

- Create a new thread in the mini helis area on RCG. I'm not sure what the off-topic policy is over thre but if we state the intentions of the thread at the start then it should be ok.

- Most of us have RCG usernames already and frequent other forum threads so moving there would be straight forward.

- I think it would be reasonable to send a PM to all the users that have posted in this thread over say the last 6 months with details of the new forum thread so they can find us or pickup if they have been mia.

- I don't think having a link at the bottom of this thread to the new forum would be an issue.. If it is then a short description would suffice.

Thre has been growing dissatisfaction with this forum and it's performance for a long time. Check out the first post on this thread, which just about sums it up.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 AM
nervousheli

hey guys this is just a question for everyone. Lets say you got a 450 heli that you want to run 3000 rpm Headspeed. But you got two motors to choose from. Which one would you choose and why??

Helidrive SK3 - 2839 - 3600kv - 550Watts

Helidrive SK3 - 2839 - 4300kv - 660Watts

thank you
Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 AM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: nervousheli

hey guys this is just a question for everyone. Lets say you got a 450 heli that you want to run 3000 rpm Headspeed. But you got two motors to choose from. Which one would you choose and why??
thank you
Do yourself a favour (and save a few $$) and just get the H2218 3550kv. They are rock solid and a proven motor. I run 3300rpm with a 13t on these.

I've heard mixed reports on the SK3 motors. The main issue is the very soft aluminium for the motor mounting bolts and they are very easy to strip out.

... and to answer your question .... I would go with the smaller one. Unless your a gun 3D pilot I think the extra power would be just sucking your battery faster.

Also... be carefull on these motors as they are 50 and 60 max amps..... make sure your matching the rest of your electrics to this type of motor.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:46 AM
nervousheli

what ESC are you using?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:26 AM
Kozzy_98

Most (including me) use the Turnigy Plush 40A or variants of that ESC (HobbyWing, etc) but many people have also used the Hobbyking YEP45A ESC with success. I can't comment on that one personally just yet, but I have one in my spares box for the next heli.

For the motors that draw many amps, I believe Rob (Youtube:Rob2160) uses a Plush 60A with a scorpion motor in one of his many 450 Pros.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:52 AM
nervousheli

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Most (including me) use the Turnigy Plush 40A or variants of that ESC (HobbyWing, etc) but many people have also used the Hobbyking YEP45A ESC with success. I can't comment on that one personally just yet, but I have one in my spares box for the next heli.

For the motors that draw many amps, I believe Rob (Youtube:Rob2160) uses a Plush 60A with a scorpion motor in one of his many 450 Pros.
Yeah, that's what I normally use, but now these highend motor with high wattage, I'm thinking of just trying them out to see what they could do.

atm I got this on my wishlist

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=20693

Old 06-01-2013, 03:05 AM
ahamay

what ESC are you using?
Yeah, plush 40amp with 2218 motor.

Another thing to watch out for is the plush 40amp (and the 60 i think) only have 3A BEC's. So you need to be aware of the current draw from your servos.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:17 AM
nervousheli

kool thanks guys
Old 06-01-2013, 03:25 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: ahamay

I guess we ARE at post 1693 of my banal piffle, balderdash, blather and poppycock!!!
We the web site gets crappy I like to blame it on Simon and then Jonesy does a ''reboot''!
b
Yeah Im thinking it might be time to move it somewhere else more stable like RCG's but that might be impossible as there are to many people that only drop in once in a blue moon.
And I cant see RCU allowing a link to another site to stay here for to long. Guess where stuck with a Jonesy reboot every 100 pages or so.

I think Ingleburn's suggestion of moving this to RCG is probably the best option if you weigh up all the factors. I don't want to make the call as this thread was here long before I came on the scene but I think it's time that we did something about it. These are some things that I can think of that would be related to such an action. I think if we can get all the regular posters to agree to something like this then we just do it.

- Create a new thread in the mini helis area on RCG. I'm not sure what the off-topic policy is over thre but if we state the intentions of the thread at the start then it should be ok.

- Most of us have RCG usernames already and frequent other forum threads so moving there would be straight forward.

- I think it would be reasonable to send a PM to all the users that have posted in this thread over say the last 6 months with details of the new forum thread so they can find us or pickup if they have been mia.

- I don't think having a link at the bottom of this thread to the new forum would be an issue.. If it is then a short description would suffice.

Thre has been growing dissatisfaction with this forum and it's performance for a long time. Check out the first post on this thread, which just about sums it up.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

If it suites the group it suits me if y'all wanna move. I've been an RC Groups user forever.

Or when the thread starts to fail, do as done before and fire up a new thread.

Since this thread is VERY unusual in that everyone here with the exception of Simon (SGBFLY) is a gentleman and there is no flaming and general irritation I'd had to see that lost.

Do you want to do a general consensus of the group?

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

thank you

What's a 450?

I agree with Jonesy's characterization. I bought the smaller of the two b/c much like a Magpie I like shiny, new things.

It worked just fine for my skill set plus it came in a nice plush box and when I opened same, angels heralded![8D]

Save yer money and do as Jonesy said or buy the thing and bask in it's lovelyness!

b
Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 AM
ingleburn

what ESC are you using?

Another thing to watch out for is the plush 40amp (and the 60 i think) only have 3A BEC's. So you need to be aware of the current draw from your servos.

Yeah both my helis run the plush 40 amp and 2218 motors and Im more than happy with them.
As for moving Im in the same boat as Jonesy. New comers so to speak but if the old boys are happy to move then lets do it.
I would keep this thread open though as I would hate to move and end up being swamped by idiots with nothing better to do than trash our little group.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 AM
rikybob

what ESC are you using?

Yeah both my helis run the plush 40 amp and 2218 motors and Im more than happy with them.
As for moving Im in the same boat as Jonesy. New comers so to speak but if the old boys are happy to move then lets do it.
I would keep this thread open though as I would hate to move and end up being swamped by idiots with nothing better to do than trash our little group.

+1!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:22 AM
pushinoldrc
My Feedback: (46)

what ESC are you using?

+1!
I'm in. Let's move if everyone agrees.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Ddaddy

...thing better to do than trash our little group.

+1!
+1 too

@nerviousheli; 4300kv x 12 volts x 11T/150T = 3784 rpm headspeed...a bit high imo and higher watage will be tough on batteries. Now you could gov it down...but then you'd be way low for esc efficiency...imo

I'd go 2218

Old 06-01-2013, 02:48 PM
nervousheli

Yeah, i've been reading as much as I can on this thread. And I noticed sgbfly's videos, he used one of the SK3 motors, and he liked it.
But I'll go with the 2218. I want more flight time. Thanks guys
Old 06-01-2013, 04:39 PM
ahamay

So apparently they upgraded their servers at the end of April which was supposed to fix a lot of the issues we are getting. People are still getting the 500 server errors and the general slow loading or nothing at all.

The really stupid thing is Internet Brands own and develop vbulletin which is one of the most popular non open source forum software packages around. If they would only upgrade this monster to that it would probably be great.

Having said that mabye we give it a while longer and if it keeps getting worse well do something.

Jonesy
Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
mnemennth

Yeah, that's what I normally use, but now these highend motor with high wattage, I'm thinking of just trying them out to see what they could do.

The HobbyKing YEP series are rebranded YGE LVseries ESCs; they're one of the few "Economy" lines of ESCs I like better than my Aeolian Evolution line. I guarantee you, they get a lot more than $34 for that ESC over at HeliDirect! Also, the 5.5V Switching ESC just screams FBL/DFC to me...

I'm also a big fan of HK's NTM PropDrive series; I'm on my 3rd one and I've never had a 35-42 as smooth as this one. My next 450 build will be one of their NTMRotorDrive motors; I can't decide whether to get the 3400KV and just drop it in:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_500W.html

Or suck it up and go 6S with the 1700KV:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_930W.html

The fact that they're both available from the USAwarehouse... along with the YEP family of ESCs... is VERYtempting.

As for moving to RCG... I'm really a fan of the laid-back atmosphere in this little corner of the hobbyist world; there's a reason I keep coming back even after fading away for a month or three at a time. I suspect that would not remain so for long if we surfaced on the tumultuous waters of RCG. If we're going to move, I suggest HeliFreak. I kindof moved away from RCG's 450 crowd when I started coming here; they're terribly brand cliquish and while they do have the occasional mod action if some whineass reports a poster, other than that it's pretty much a free-for-all. That, and the OTNazis make me wish they would just go get themselves laid once in a while.

mnem
I fried.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Ddaddy

I just started using the yep...it is great and a great deal.  Only downside is mounting because of size.  I can't tell any difference due to weight.

It's weird, I don't seem to have problems with the website except once in a blue moon.

HF is cliquish imo too...the recent fubar decision to name only 1 (I can name many more!).  Been trying to get a ZYX thread but as yet unsuccessful. But I do like HF.

What do you say a new thread is started and see how everyone feels after a bit?  I mean it needs to have new one regardless, right?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:05 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

I have had a few issues a couple of months ago but lately works fine.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 PM
rikybob

So apparently they upgraded their servers at the end of April which was supposed to fix a lot of the issues we are getting. People are still getting the 500 server errors and the general slow loading or nothing at all.

The really stupid thing is Internet Brands own and develop vbulletin which is one of the most popular non open source forum software packages around. If they would only upgrade this monster to that it would probably be great.

Having said that mabye we give it a while longer and if it keeps getting worse well do something.

Jonesy
Hiya Kidz!

I've taken a day to ponder it and agree with Jonesy.

I haven't had any errors but I think that others that have are harbingers that it's time to make another thread soon. As self proclaimed Czar of this thread as posthumously enacted by our former mod, Peter (God rest his soul) I dub Jonesy (yet again) as re-thread maker for the next iteration on here.

Mmsmmsmmmnsnnnsth- A good point. What makes folks come back her again and again is the wonderful personalities that (with the exception of that Simon guy) populate the group!

Lets sit awhile and let Jonesy make us a new on here on RC Universe when this one clogs up!

All the best! Time to sleep!

b
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: mnemennth

Most (including me) use the Turnigy Plush 40A or variants of that ESC (HobbyWing, etc) but many people have also used the Hobbyking YEP 45A ESC with success. I can't comment on that one personally just yet, but I have one in my spares box for the next heli.

The HobbyKing YEP series are rebranded YGE LV series ESCs; they're one of the few ''Economy'' lines of ESCs I like better than my Aeolian Evolution line. I guarantee you, they get a lot more than $34 for that ESC over at HeliDirect! Also, the 5.5V Switching ESC just screams FBL/DFC to me...

I'm also a big fan of HK's NTM PropDrive series; I'm on my 3rd one and I've never had a 35-42 as smooth as this one. My next 450 build will be one of their NTM RotorDrive motors; I can't decide whether to get the 3400KV and just drop it in:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_500W.html

Or suck it up and go 6S with the 1700KV:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_930W.html

The fact that they're both available from the USA warehouse... along with the YEP family of ESCs... is VERY tempting.

As for moving to RCG... I'm really a fan of the laid-back atmosphere in this little corner of the hobbyist world; there's a reason I keep coming back even after fading away for a month or three at a time. I suspect that would not remain so for long if we surfaced on the tumultuous waters of RCG. If we're going to move, I suggest HeliFreak. I kindof moved away from RCG's 450 crowd when I started coming here; they're terribly brand cliquish and while they do have the occasional mod action if some whineass reports a poster, other than that it's pretty much a free-for-all. That, and the OT Nazis make me wish they would just go get themselves laid once in a while.

mnem
I fried.

Time and again I have noted the above.

Such tight a s s e s!

I dislike On Topic only, immensely!

The hobby brings folks together and the personalities keep them here (Except that Simon guy. He is an Oppressive Evil British Overlord)!

b

PS "Happy 1st day of the Atlantic Hurricane Season"![:@]
Old 06-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Kozzy_98

@mnem Make sure you order a 3.5mm pinion gear to go with it! The "normal" size pinion is usually 3.175 or 1/8 inch. Sadly, HK don't sell these 3.5mm pinion gears, so you need to find one elsewhere. I believe Align make their 450 class pinions in 3.5mm now.

@nervousheli I bought the 3550kv version of that motor (the shiny silver one) only for the bling to use in my next heli. That being said, you will have to grind a flat spot in the shaft for the grub screw, although you could use a pinion with 2 grub screws 180 degrees apart, but I would rather the common 1 grub screw and flat spot.
This 2215H motor is extremely efficient, and a 11T pinion is great
This 2218H motor isn't the one that Jonesy and Ingleburn use, but I like it alot. This is the motor in my beast and with a 12T it has a slightly higher head speed and doesn't bog. I am not 100% sure about the pitch settings, I think its either 11 or 12 deg, which is enough, believe me :P
This 2218 motor is the one that Jonesy and Ingleburn use, but I haven't used it before.

I love this thread as depending on the times sometimes its NOT a 450 thread but rather one of what we enjoy flying (Planks, 500s etc etc). I haven't had any problems lately.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Ddaddy

This 2218H motor isn't the one that Jonesy and Ingleburn use, but I like it alot. This is the motor in my beast and with a 12T it has a slightly higher head speed and doesn't bog. I am not 100% sure about the pitch settings, I think its either 11 or 12 deg, which is enough, believe me :P
This 2218 motor is the one that Jonesy and Ingleburn use, but I haven't used it before.

I love this thread as depending on the times sometimes its NOT a 450 thread but rather one of what we enjoy flying (Planks, 500s etc etc). I haven't had any problems lately.
+1
Do you know/remember which one is the newer motor? I'm thinking the Typhoon came first. Maybe the new one is the Suppo motor, eh?

edit...did some browsing...sure looks like the Suppo Link

edit 2 been sitting on the fence with the 3126-1600 for the 500 (still haven't put bearings in the 500l yet...don'
t tell rb)...well since it's a suppo and there's so much good said about them...I'm $26 poorer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.