T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Kozzy_98

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

+1 on the GA-250 and HK922MG servos. Fantastic combination.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 PM
rikybob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mnemennth

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

LOL mnem!
Tarot does make nice stuff...my goto...oh it's hard not to buy that 1 piece main gear holder [:@]
Align maingears are even crooked too...I've learned to live with that.
As for changing owb, piece of cake. Press the old bearing out with properly sized sockets on each side (I use channel locks since I'm too lazy to go to the vise. Putting them in is even easier! Clean well, leave gear side in warm place (in the Sun), put owb in freezer for a while. I put a film of locktite on the gear side and the owb literally will drop in! Or so has been my experience
Quote:
ORIGINAL: rikybob

Mmaammath - Great post! Amain is a good company but expensive. One thing to add. The tail spins @ 11K and will give you misery like you don't know! After making sure the bearings are good make certain that the tail slider is ''loose''!

Ken - Agree completly with freezer method!

b
The one-piece bearing block is, IMHO, a MUST-HAVE for any Non-Pro 450 chassis; it makes the main bearings run so smooth you'll never believe it, plus it makes the frame incredibly stiff, and right where you want it.

I expect the same from the 450Pro version; plus, FINALLY, with that design you can build the head, servos and all, off the heli with non-Align servos and have it all fit right! I can finally put a stock nose on mine and do away with the one that has holes drilled in it for the two bottom servo screws; plus it looks like this design allows you to flip the entire front servo block up and swap a single servo right in place!

If I can just get the TT tail running smooth again, the EXI 450Pro could be my new favorite (completed) heli!

SCHWANNNGGG!

As for the OWB... Sorry; I'm an engineer. I had to order the new bearings & wait for 'em to come in, so $4 for the press was nothing. I own a half-decent jeweler's vise, so... not waitin' for the dam freezer.

Yes, I'm so cheap I even recycle my helicopters... [img][/img]

DDaddy - I had some issues with the first-gen (black) and one-piece (blue) Align maingears; they actually seemed no less of a crapshoot than the HK ones I had. Since I started using the ones in my link, never a problem. In fact, next build I think I'm gonna try the helical drive ones... maybe it's time to dust off the old EXI one more time.

Brian -

Agreed 100% on the tail... and when you're checking the bearings, don't forget the little idler pulley on top, and the ball bearing in the slider yoke. I had one start to chatter so bad it messed up the Gyro. [img][/img]

Oh, and speaking of Gyros... the Assan GA-250 MEMS gyro (if you're not going FBL) is an OUTSTANDING value; rock solid AND cheap (Like $10 cheap) , no ''Hot Glue'' mod necessary. It was plug-n-play on my GT450 with HK922MG on the tail, and much less sensitive to random vibration than the HK401 or my Detrum GY48V.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15318

mnem
*Finding new ways to renew my addiction since 2010*
Hi again menm!

I was one of the 1st adopters of the Assan and agree that it worked wonderfully for my skill set! Simon turned his nose up but he's a evil British Imperialist!

As for the idler pulley I removed them on all my models (big 'un doesn't have one) and kept the little parts to use as spacers! Never a problem did I have and one less thing to fail! The engineers made a superflous addition!

(Hmmmm "The Engineers"?? Check out Promethious if you haven't)

On the "J.O.B."!

b
Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Ddaddy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

I was one of the 1st adopters of the Assan and agree that it worked wonderfully for my skill set! Simon turned his nose up but he's a evil British Imperialist! I didn't like my GA 250 either...replaced it with a HK401...works great.

As for the idler pulley I removed them on all my models (big 'un doesn't have one) and kept the little parts to use as spacers! Never a problem did I have and one less thing to fail! The engineers made a superflous addition! Ditto that! Idle pullies are for idle _____________!

(Hmmmm "The Engineers"?? Check out Promethious if you haven't) Maybe tonight, keep forgetting about it.

On the "J.O.B."!

b
Sunflower FPV shortly!

Well not as impressive as I expected and not to mention I developed some kind of video issue

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnVfsQYx2NU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 PM
mnemennth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, actually... the  idler DOES serve a purpose, though it may not seem like much.

When you drive a long chain or cogged belt, the tendency to skip is a function of the amount of load vs the number of teeth engaged at each end. Adding that idler pulley engages 2 more teeth on the driven cog, which decreases dramatically the tension necessary to keep the belt from skipping. This is made much more critical because of the small number of teeth actually engaging with these tiny cogs. Just that extra 2 teeth engaged cuts the tension required to prevent skipping in half; this drastically reduces loading on those tailshaft bearings that love to fail. This is especially important here because we are twisting the belt 1/4 turn. On the bigger models we have a larger diameter tail tube, therefore larger diameter cogs with more teeth engaged and less loading per cog, so less tension is required and the extra 2 cogs engaged difference that idler pulley makes are not as critical.

Right now, I'm not certain if y'all are agreeing with me that the Assan is a greatly underrated Gyro, or poking my giblets over it... so, "Hell Yeah!" where appropriate, and Razzzberries to the rest!  PPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

mnem
So THERE!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 AM
rikybob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Well, actually... the idler DOES serve a purpose, though it may not seem like much.

When you drive a long chain or cogged belt, the tendency to skip is a function of the amount of load vs the number of teeth engaged at each end. Adding that idler pulley engages 2 more teeth on the driven cog, which decreases dramatically the tension necessary to keep the belt from skipping. This is made much more critical because of the small number of teeth actually engaging with these tiny cogs. Just that extra 2 teeth engaged cuts the tension required to prevent skipping in half; this drastically reduces loading on those tailshaft bearings that love to fail. This is especially important here because we are twisting the belt 1/4 turn. On the bigger models we have a larger diameter tail tube, therefore larger diameter cogs with more teeth engaged and less loading per cog, so less tension is required and the extra 2 cogs engaged difference that idler pulley makes are not as critical. [img][/img]

Right now, I'm not certain if y'all are agreeing with me that the Assan is a greatly underrated Gyro, or poking my giblets over it... so, ''Hell Yeah!'' where appropriate, and Razzzberries to the rest! [img][/img] PPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

mnem
So THERE!

Hiya Mnnmmeeth!

Nope, I was 1st here to get the lil servo eathin' devil and found great joy in it! The Assan just needed to be matched to the right htz to ones tail servo and it worked GREAT. There again Simon, found that it didn't suit likin' but he may, in fact, be a bit silly anyway!

As for the idler pulley it works wonderfully on my Nissan Titan but was completely unnecessary on my HK450GT's and was a weak spot and therefore omitted!

Slowley wakin' up on this end and then to "work"!

b
Old 06-15-2013, 04:27 AM
helicrazedout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mnemennth what a great post man! You told me exactly what i needed to know thanks that AT Texan trainer looks really sweet by the way. I don't think it is possible to quit HK you would need a R/C rehab center for that...I am going to take your advice about the gears and bearings think i might just run past the hobby store and pick up some Align parts to save me the assache. I am still waiting on the HK delivery and i am still not a 100% sure what i have got myself into but i am looking forward to learning and with great advice like this it really doesn't get easier. Dam you! why did you have to show me those really sweeeeeeeet Tarrot parts! i am just going to cover my eyes and pretend i didn't see them
Old 06-15-2013, 04:27 AM
ahamay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
@ Jonesy - Sorry you got hosed by the job!! Forgive me but being a self taught IT guy since the 70's starting with the [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_VIC-20]VIC 20[/link] I have been working with GEEKS for decades! This is how I picture the "IT Emergency" being handled!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETYThmhPLRc[/youtube]
Hhehehe..... got a chuckle from that thanks. First rule of IT... never work a job where you have to deal with end users.... it will drive you nuts.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:39 AM
ahamay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Others here will recommend Tarot as a decent cheap build; though now I'm hearing that they have to replace all sorts of stuff on them now too. I cannot comment, the only Tarot part I've ever owned was the 1-piece forged Main Bearing Block; it was a damn fine bit of machining for $10 shipped and WITH bearings:

http://www.tarot-rc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=628
OH, HELLYES! Lookit what I tripped over while looking for that link:

http://www.tarot-rc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=672
That fixes one of the biggest annoyances with my EXI 450Pro build... Tarot, you basstards, you're gonna convert me yet!
The tarot 450 pro v2 kit is an exceptional quality kit. The only thing I had to swap out was the main gear hub, but I always go align hub, owb and main gear anyways. It's definately a major step up in quality from the 450GT. The tarot 500 I got was a different story as there wer quite a few buts I had to replace. Although the general consensus is that I was just unlucky as most have had no issues with their kits.

That first one piece main bearing block looks like bling to me, but the second one is great as it lets you remove your servos easily for service and also to remove your motor and change pinion etc easily.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:44 AM
ahamay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Well, actually... the idler DOESserve a purpose, though it may not seem like much.
When you drive a long chain or cogged belt, the tendency to skip is a function of the amount of load vs the number of teeth engaged at each end. Adding that idler pulley engages 2 more teeth on the driven cog, which decreases dramatically the tension necessary to keep the belt from skipping. This is made much more critical because of the small number of teeth actually engaging with these tiny cogs. Just that extra 2 teeth engaged cuts the tension required to prevent skipping in half; this drastically reduces loading on those tailshaft bearings that love to fail. This is especially important here because we are twisting the belt 1/4 turn. On the bigger models we have a larger diameter tail tube, therefore larger diameter cogs with more teeth engaged and less loading per cog, so less tension is required and the extra 2 cogs engaged difference that idler pulley makes are not as critical.
Right now, I'm not certain if y'all are agreeing with me that the Assan is a greatly underrated Gyro, or poking my giblets over it... so, "Hell Yeah!" where appropriate, and Razzzberries to the rest! PPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTT!!!
mnem
So THERE!
The idler was the first thing that went in the bin on my 450 Gt's. They ran so hot that the bearing would sieze up, or they had so much play they were trying to push the belt off the side of the rear pully. I understand the theory behind why they are there but mine was much better without it.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Ddaddy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Right now, I'm not certain if y'all are agreeing with me that the Assan is a greatly underrated Gyro, or poking my giblets over it...
Both!

And take your idler off and try it...I dare you!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Ddaddy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WARNING! OT!!!

My son shared this with me...EPIC!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njos57IJf-0[/youtube]
Old 06-15-2013, 10:25 AM
mnemennth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ahamay

Quote:
Well, actually... the idler DOESserve a purpose, though it may not seem like much.

Right now, I'm not certain if y'all are agreeing with me that the Assan is a greatly underrated Gyro, or poking my giblets over it... so, "Hell Yeah!" where appropriate, and Razzzberries to the rest! PPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTT!!!
mnem
So THERE!
The idler was the first thing that went in the bin on my 450 Gt's. They ran so hot that the bearing would sieze up, or they had so much play they were trying to push the belt off the side of the rear pully. I understand the theory behind why they are there but mine was much better without it.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

Quote:
Right now, I'm not certain if y'all are agreeing with me that the Assan is a greatly underrated Gyro, or poking my giblets over it...
Both!

And take your idler off and try it...I dare you!
I just replaced the entire POS idler with a common 3mm ID x 9mm OD x 5mm W bearing by drilling out the hole to accept a 3mm screw. Easy-peasy. Maybe TOOeasy; I was just being lazy cuz I didn't feel like effing around with the tiny bearing inside the idler... and I had the bearings laying around anyways. I had no idea the misery you guys have suffered as a result of the stock idler pulley on these guys... *SNERK*

[EDIT]

Jonesy -

The 450V2 1-piece bearing block does 2 things; by being machined out of a single piece on a common axis, it ensures that your main bearing are always in perfect alignment with each other, rather than having that alignment subject to the questionable precision of stamped bits of aluminum and Carbon fiber held together by stamped aluminum spacers and screws. This reduces loading of the bearings, as well as vibration caused by having the bearings loaded out-of-true. It also stiffens the chassis greatly right at the point of greatest load - where the head attaches. This also reduces flex in that area between the head and servos, improving cyclic precision and damping vibration.

The 450Pro version improves on that design by adding the servo mounts to that equation like those puckers at Align should have done to begin with. In theory, you could build an entire functioning CCPM or FBL head without need of the chassis at all using this design; THEN you add the rest of the heli. I LIKEthat idea ALOT.
[/EDIT]

As for Gates V Jobs... I think the difference can be summed up in an old adage Grand-mommom Edwards told me many times:

"If you want to make a living, sell what everybody needs; If you want to get rich, sell what everybody WANTS."

mnem
"A man will hem and haw for days over the price of a thing he needs; he'll not bat an eye at the price of a thing he WANTS."

Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM
mnemennth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HEADS UP GUYS!!!

HK  KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board IN STOCK NOW!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=24723

This link is from my browser's cache; it allowed me to put the item back in my cart at $27.99. It MAY do the same for you.

Good hunting, all!

mnem
Dunnat. With a side of chips.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:51 PM
ingleburn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:
mnem
So THERE!
I must admit when you guys were talking about the idler pulley I had NO IDEA what you were talking about.Probarbly because I havent had one on the GT for a long time.
I used this tail box as it only has 2 screws to remove to replace a bent tail shaft.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
ingleburn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:
Others here will recommend Tarot as a decent cheap build; though now I'm hearing that they have to replace all sorts of stuff on them now too. I cannot comment, the only Tarot part I've ever owned was the 1-piece forged Main Bearing Block; it was a damn fine bit of machining for $10 shipped and WITH bearings:

http://www.tarot-rc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=628
OH, HELLYES! Lookit what I tripped over while looking for that link:

http://www.tarot-rc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=672
That fixes one of the biggest annoyances with my EXI 450Pro build... Tarot, you basstards, you're gonna convert me yet!
The tarot 450 pro v2 kit is an exceptional quality kit. The only thing I had to swap out was the main gear hub, but I always go align hub, owb and main gear anyways. It's definately a major step up in quality from the 450GT. The tarot 500 I got was a different story as there wer quite a few buts I had to replace. Although the general consensus is that I was just unlucky as most have had no issues with their kits.

That first one piece main bearing block looks like bling to me, but the second one is great as it lets you remove your servos easily for service and also to remove your motor and change pinion etc easily.

Yeah my Tarot kit was great as well exept for the main gear hub and a dodgy TT.
Hows the 500 going Jonesy?
Hoping to get the HK450 Pro out today and see if my flying is any better than last week.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Kozzy_98

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well now that exams are over I have been repairing my helis!

Beast: Replacing the LHGY520 with a newer Assan GA-250. On the #2 I have the old assan GA-250 without the delay setting, so we will see how it performs. Also replaced the upper mixing arm that had no thread in it, so now there is no slop.

#2: Replacing tail servo with a cheapie for now, however its digital, and its quick and I will see if it runs on 333Hz. Also fixed slop in the head and made slight adjustments to the head setup.

Whats happened with the #1? Well, I bought a HK450GT kit not too long ago and I will be using that to build another helicopter. So technically it will be build #4, but what ever...
It will have the same power system and the same genuine $pektrum RX, but it will have HXT900s on the cyclic as they suit the GT kit better than the 939MGs which suit the 450MT/ LH elCheapo 450.

I removed the idler pulley and now the helicopter autorotates better as a result. With the recent tail assemblies that I have been using, they are better without it as it presses quite hard against the belt and generates alot of friction.

For the $10 FBL head that I bought, I will be building a FBL heli with HK922MG servos on the cyclic. For the controller I am debating whether to use the HK FU-BAR, HK BeastX clone or the Robird G31. However, that will be happening when I have 3 flying Flybarred helicopters!!

Interesting having engineers on the forum, as engineering is what I want to do in university/college. Probably electrical and mechanical as I want to "build an amplifier and machine a suitable case for it!"

PS. RCU's timeout sux! Thankfully I have firefox :P

Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Ddaddy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
I had no idea the misery you guys have suffered as a result of the stock idler pulley on these guys... *SNERK*
Warning, niggle coming...

No misery, remove the idler and it's perfect! I hear rumor it autorotates better too
Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
ingleburn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys. Well it was a fine day today but really windy but took the HK450 Pro and the Mcpx Bl out anyway.
7 Flights all up and the 450 handled the wind pretty well. Not so well the BL and my #16 cams battery has gone past its use by date as only 1 video was recorded all the way through. The other 2 cut out before the end of the flights.
Heres the 3 joined together. Hope you can hear the blather over the wind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZIurVUBcE[/youtube]
Old 06-16-2013, 04:31 AM
ahamay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ingleburn
Hi guys. Well it was a fine day today but really windy but took the HK450 Pro and the Mcpx Bl out anyway.
7 Flights all up and the 450 handled the wind pretty well. Not so well the BL and my #16 cams battery has gone past its use by date as only 1 video was recorded all the way through. The other 2 cut out before the end of the flights.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZIurVUBcE[/youtube]
I just ordered a couple of lipos for my #16 for now. I'll hang out for the final realease of the mobius before I put any more cash towards a camera.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:31 AM
rikybob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@ Daddy - Thanx for the viddy and shame about the quality. What is wrong I wonder? Great OT viddy!

@ Jonessy - Yah, I figgered you'd appreciate it. Self depreciating humor is my favorite! I can't stand to watch "Cops" as I'm literally yelling at the TV! I

@ Mnem - Thanx for the link but I'm too non committed t join the fray, YET!

@ Ingleburn - I really liked that one piece design for the tail box but never used it. Viddy comments ==>>Great flyin' and GREAT blather!! Yah, forcing yourself to fly in the wind is well needed! Get a NEW battery for the cam so I'm not the ONLY one blathering!!! Hehehe re upgrading the MCP X! Yah, I just needed a project so I enjoyed doing the upgrade! Great flyin' and SAVE on the MCP X!!! Thanx for sharing!

@ Kozz - Looking forward to your observations about all yer birds!

Today is my Friday WOOT!

Happy Fathers Day to ALL!!!

b
Old 06-16-2013, 04:39 AM
rikybob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:
http://[youtube]http://www.youtube.c...[/youtube]
I just ordered a couple of lipos for my #16 for now. I'll hang out for the final realease of the mobius before I put any more cash towards a camera.

Yah, been watching the progress in RC Groups.

The one Brit that bought one lost it immediately on his maiden, "DOH"

It's kinda funny, if you are a viddyphile like Simon I rekon one may tell the difference but I wonder if it's worth twice the price??

I'll be watchin'!

b
Old 06-16-2013, 04:59 AM
ahamay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The one Brit that bought one lost it immediately on his maiden, "DOH"
It's kinda funny, if you are a viddyphile like Simon I rekon one may tell the difference but I wonder if it's worth twice the price??
I'll be watchin'!
b
It would want to be pretty damn good for me to upgrade from the #16. For what I use it for full HD is overkill and it is just a pain to work with upload to youtube and unless you have a mega fast link to watch full HD from youtube you get a slower bitrate delivered anyways.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 AM
rikybob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The one Brit that bought one lost it immediately on his maiden, ''DOH''
I'll be watchin'!
b
It would want to be pretty damn good for me to upgrade from the #16. For what I use it for full HD is overkill and it is just a pain to work with upload to youtube and unless you have a mega fast link to watch full HD from youtube you get a slower bitrate delivered anyways.

+1!

Yah, if one can use the cam for FPV and it can be low cost alternative to the GoPro or some other cam I find it attractive but I'm afraid that it will be like an MP3 player who's "sample rate" is really high vs a moderate sample rate.

One might have to be a "dog" to tell the difference in sound quality.

Yah, if I needed to immortalize my little video vignettes of blather, piffle and poppycock for all humanity b/c I have something scarey cool to share with the universe I might be interested. However......

Cheers!!

b
Old 06-16-2013, 08:39 AM
helicrazedout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys just popping in to say hi! ingleburn nice flying in the wind man thumbs up, and Kozzy do let us know how your various builds go especially your HK.

Really excited for tomorrow! My friend is going to land on my front lawn with his Robinson R-44 and take me flying for the day Maybe i should be all pro and greet him with my T-rex 450 [8D] ahaha
Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 AM
rikybob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: helicrazedout

Hi guys just popping in to say hi! ingleburn nice flying in the wind man thumbs up, and Kozzy do let us know how your various builds go especially your HK.

Really excited for tomorrow! My friend is going to land on my front lawn with his Robinson R-44 and take me flying for the day Maybe i should be all pro and greet him with my T-rex 450 [8D] ahaha
Enjoy and have a blast!

Bring your camera!!!

B

Search this Thread