Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

T-Rex 450 rotor head/main shaft locking screw keep on breaking

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-Rex 450 rotor head/main shaft locking screw keep on breaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:04 PM
wcfung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Rex 450 rotor head/main shaft locking screw keep on breaking

For the third time the socket collar screw (M2 x 12 mm) locking the main rotor housing and the main shaft has broken, leaving only a short length of threaded screw inside the hole. The third time it broke, there was virtually only a brief period of test fly (1 to 2 minutes), and the screw broke.

Can anyone tell what has gone wrong ? Is it a design problem ?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM
ahamay

Default RE: T-Rex 450 rotor head/main shaft locking screw keep on breaking

ORIGINAL: wcfung
For the third time the socket collar screw (M2 x 12 mm) locking the main rotor housing and the main shaft has broken, leaving only a short length of threaded screw inside the hole. The third time it broke, there was virtually only a brief period of test fly (1 to 2 minutes), and the screw broke.
Can anyone tell what has gone wrong ? Is it a design problem ?
I've seen this before and it can be very dangerous. Make sure your using a high quality bolt. If the hole through your mainshaft is slightly oversize it can cause the head block to twist a little and this will be putting extra pressure on the bolt and may cause it to sheer off. Hold the mainshaft and twist the headblock once you have it all done up, it should not rotate or have any play in it.

Hope that helps.

Jonesy
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM
wcfung

Jonesy,

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the size of the hole in relation to the bolt size. There is no play. Everything is original from Align..........the bolt, the main shaft and the rotor head. There is no wear nor tear on the hole of the rotor head. The hole through the main shaft is not worn as the metal of the main shaft is harder than the bolt.

I want to buy some high quality bolts, but it is not easy to come by as they are too small. Local hardware shops sell larger bolts. I doubt if hobby shops carry different grades than those supplied by Align.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 AM
pawraith

your talking about the jesus bolt right? i would say your probably torquing it down too much to start with. if your using any thread lock on it, you shouldnt have to crank down the torque on this bolt. just get it snug after applying the thread lock and it will last you for a very long time. good luck
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the overtorque-ing of the bolt. Make sure you are using the correct type of bolt for the application. Not all bolts are made the same. If you continue having trouble, maybe a shouldered bolt with just a few threads at the tip will do the trick.

The bigger birds all use shouldered bolts for Jesus bolts. I don't recall what the 450 uses.

[link=http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=shouldered+bolt&gbv=2&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3.0.0l7j0i10l2j0.857.5250.0.6544.11.8.0.3.3.0.2 34.1340.0j7j1.8.0...0.0...1c.1.goupHNBxx9k&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=XLs4UY-kOK290QGlvoHAAQ&ved=0CB4QsAQ]Google Image search for Shouldered Bolt[/link]

Rafael
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 AM
wcfung

You are right. I replaced with another shoulder jesus bolt, and it works alright, cos I remember I did not torque it too tight.

Thank you.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM
wcfung

The 450 also uses shoulder jesus bolt as standard. May be over torquing is the culprit.