Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 03:06 PM
ingleburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Bite me, old man!

Goon on ya mate... gittin' some schtick time; I just wish you'd knock it off with all this off-topic HK-450GT related stuff.

I'm still arguing with the cheap motors that came with my FPV Spider; well, actually... the motors are fab, but the cheap-arse bolt-on hubs and especially the nuts/washers/screws that came with them are utter she!te. Oh, and of 8 hubs I've bought, 3 are about 2mm shorter deck height than the others.

I've gotten them mostly sorted with new stainless screws ordered from the intard-net, and a trip to homeowner hell for some metric locknuts. Now I just need to balance the motor bells and I can actually start moving forward with the build.

I received your APM board a few days ago, but I was busy being the "Assigned beast of burden" for my wife's big musical production with her school children; that's all done and all the gear returned, so I've been playing catchup on my "Online Obligations". Now I can actually move on to some "me time".

I've given the board a cursory look-over and no glaringly obvious cause of failure; I'll dig into it further once I'm either paused at a roadblock on my quad or it's done.

Peace and tailwinds,

mnem
A man made it, a man can fix it.
A funny thing happened at the field yesterday.
A guy was flying a 700 and at about the same spot as mine went down his motor went dead and he dropped from the sky.
Only broke a blade and skids but when he checked everything it all still worked. Motor spun up and couldnt get it to glitch again.
Now a few guys I know wont fly there anymore because they are convinced there is some sort of Bermuda triangle thing happening there and now its got me wondering as well.
If the board tests ok then maybe theres some truth to the rumours and I may have to find somewhere else to fly.
But after months of flying there and many flights this was the only time Ive had a problem so until proven otherwise Im blaming the board and my botched up diode mod.

Yeah I shied away from those motors after Joe gave them a bad review. The Turnigy Multistars seem good even though one had a dodgy bearing. Glad I bought a spare.
Havent balanced the bells but vibration logs are in range The 10x5 CF props were all balanced bar one that needed a slight rub with some sandpaper to get it right.

The Mobius is mounted on the frame now and about to go test it for jello. The first step in setting it up for FPV. If it passes then Ill put the Vtx in and see how I go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vib log.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1996409  
Old 05-18-2014, 03:57 PM
rikybob

Originally Posted by ingleburn
A guy was flying a 700 and at about the same spot as mine went down his motor went dead and he dropped from the sky.
Only broke a blade and skids but when he checked everything it all still worked. Motor spun up and couldnt get it to glitch again.
Now a few guys I know wont fly there anymore because they are convinced there is some sort of Bermuda triangle thing happening there and now its got me wondering as well.
If the board tests ok then maybe theres some truth to the rumours and I may have to find somewhere else to fly.
But after months of flying there and many flights this was the only time Ive had a problem so until proven otherwise Im blaming the board and my botched up diode mod.

Yeah I shied away from those motors after Joe gave them a bad review. The Turnigy Multistars seem good even though one had a dodgy bearing. Glad I bought a spare.
Havent balanced the bells but vibration logs are in range The 10x5 CF props were all balanced bar one that needed a slight rub with some sandpaper to get it right.

The Mobius is mounted on the frame now and about to go test it for jello. The first step in setting it up for FPV. If it passes then Ill put the Vtx in and see how I go.

Good luck and hope yer not jinxed!

b
Old 05-18-2014, 06:17 PM
ingleburn

Originally Posted by rikybob
Good luck and hope yer not jinxed!

b
Flight went well. Jello is terrible though. Time to play around with the mount

http://youtu.be/_48QlpHJSBM
Old 05-18-2014, 09:41 PM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by ingleburn

Doo-de-doo-doo, Doo-de-doo-doo! (Twilight Zone noises)

Yeah, well... I didn't pick the motors, they came with the quad kit; and as I said, the motors are fabulous; smooth & nearly vibration-free, all 5 of them; at least until I bolt on the hub. It's the hub & hardware that bite; getting the damned thing centered and square has been... an adventure.

To my knowledge, Joe hasn't reviewed THESE motors; he reviewed the 2830-750KV with the collet-type prop adapters (the ones that clamp onto the shaft). These are the 2830-850KV which don't even HAVE a shaft; they're made with a short shaft like civilized motors.

They were SUPPOSED to be an improved product that would cure all the problems folks were having with the collet-type prop adapters flying off; while it's true the adapters don't fly off, the fleeping spinner-type nuts DO. Just ask poor Q, who prolly lost 3 or 4 I think...

Anyways... When I replace 'em I'm prolly either gonna get the HK PropDrives like I originally intended, or maybe some of the Suppo/RCTimer HP motors that RYBAT has on the US store. What are you using for vibration mount? I spent some time dinking around with a nice-looking $5 mount from fleaBay; but while I was busy being annoyed by another search for hardware, I found he had the AVDome/CN06 GPS-Compass combo on sale for $44.00!!! It got to me in less than 48 hours, since he's also in Tejas.

I got one of these to see if it would work with my old 5.8GHz RX; it's the size of a postage stamp, weighs 1.9 gr WITH micro-cloverleaf and switches channels with a pushbutton. And to top it off, it has a TX PWR Trimpot for 10-100mW out; MORE than enough for anything I'll be using it for, and I can turn it down for use on my micros. I'm pretty sure I can fly that and a 1gr 600 line PAL cam on my Nano QX.

A'aight; I have a work order in the am; time for me to be vapor.

mnem
Fire.

Name:	229-563-large.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1996489   Click image for larger version

Name:	229-565-thickbox.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1996490   Click image for larger version

Name:	229-566-thickbox.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1996491  
Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Edmund2

Hi guys, yes I am still around with bad back and new hip causing the associated discomfort but killed by chemicals. At work today and the walk to the office took a while. Hope to get some flying time in shortly as six weeks mostly on my back was no fun at all. Do see you are all having
fun out there.

Edmund.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by ahamay
I think Rob should buy one of these and give us all the heads up if it's any good :P

http://www.birdseyeview.aero/
Funny you mention that.. I was looking at that just this week. Literally no space left for new toys like that though..

The flying wings are fun, build a combat slope soarer and you can fly for hours for free.

Pica sim is the best slope soaring sim I have tried, very addictive.

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim/

Still away from home until Thursday so no more progress on sorting the motor / esc issues with the X650F, though it does allow time for all the HK orders to arrive.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Rob2160

My Tech Review Video of the SJ4000 GoPro Clone Action Camera is up on YoubTube:

Enjoyed the review, have been waiting on news of the GoPro 4,

Ordered one of these - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7675

Not sure if I'll ever use it for FPV but the video is so smooth and Jello free even without a gimbal I couldn't resist. See the test flight here. No gimbal..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZGnDnsUUk

Last edited by Rob2160; 05-18-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Kozzy_98

Hey guys just thought I would check in.

I've had a look at my "last posts" and my last one was back in December of last year! Gee time really flies...

So since the last time I posted I've been doing a few jobs fixing stuff and been busy with school and the like. As a result, I've now got around $120 to spend on a 450 kit.

This time I probably won't buy HK as I have had a few issues with them lately. That being said, I haven't tried their 450 Pro V2 just yet. I was thinking Tarot 450 Pro, but I can't remember the parts you guys swapped out for as soon as you got the kit. IIRC, tail grips and bearings come to mind? Or perhaps save up for a posh Gaui X3 but that may be a bit over the top in terms of cost for me.

As for servos and motors, I'm more than set. I have a few boxes full of parts.

Ideally what I would do is buy a FB kit, learn to set that up by being able to take it apart a few times without stripping screws or breaking stuff, fly that a little and then buy a FBL gyro.

Basically, its time for me to get some quality parts now. What do you suggest?

As for all of this quad stuff, it all looks bloody awesome and I enjoy reading about it all. I still fly mine with the wooden frame and dodgy hot-glued landing gear sticks and when I use the rudder you see the whole damn thing flexing mid air hahah. All of the frames you guys get look awesome!

I met an commercial aerial photographer not long ago who had a DJI S1000 (or was it S2000) carbon fiber octocopter, complete with GoPro, gimbal, fancy vibration mounts, deployable landing gear, folding props and all the bling you could ever want. His radio was a Futaba 14SG.

The LiPo that he used was a 14000mAh 6S pack and it weighed at least 1.5Kg. It was a massive pack! What was even better was his story of how he got it through Aus Post. On the Lipo itself it had a 6S 4000mah sticker to get it through!

Also my neighbour who sails RC Sailboats had a glider in his garage from like, the 1990s or earlier. From limited research, it is a Great Planes glider with a 2M wingspan, made out of balsa and covering film. Its only control surfaces are elevators and ailerons and there's a hook on the bottom of it for bungy launching. I plan to bolt a motor to it and see what happens, but that would be a long time away...
Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 AM
ahamay

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Enjoyed the review, have been waiting on news of the GoPro 4,
Ordered one of these - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7675
Not sure if I'll ever use it for FPV but the video is so smooth and Jello free even without a gimbal I couldn't resist. See the test flight here. No gimbal..
Rob, that looks like a great setup and a quality frame. The CF Arms are chunky. That reminds me.... I've got a brushless 2 axis gimbal I bought last year sitting here for the quad that I need to revisit........ after the tek sumo flying wing build.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:58 AM
ahamay

Originally Posted by Kozzy_98

So since the last time I posted I've been doing a few jobs fixing stuff and been busy with school and the like. As a result, I've now got around $120 to spend on a 450 kit.
This time I probably won't buy HK as I have had a few issues with them lately. That being said, I haven't tried their 450 Pro V2 just yet. I was thinking Tarot 450 Pro, but I can't remember the parts you guys swapped out for as soon as you got the kit. IIRC, tail grips and bearings come to mind? Or perhaps save up for a posh Gaui X3 but that may be a bit over the top in terms of cost for me.

Ideally what I would do is buy a FB kit, learn to set that up by being able to take it apart a few times without stripping screws or breaking stuff, fly that a little and then buy a FBL gyro.
Basically, its time for me to get some quality parts now. What do you suggest?
A
I've build 3 tarot 450 pro's... 2 of them I still have. The kits are very good quality but like anything from china there is a chance that something might be made wrong. I had very little issues with any of mine. The only thing I would recommend if your going to keep it long term is to get the thrust bearing tail grip assembly. The stock one kills bearings like no tomorrow.

With regards to FBL vs FB... that 's a no brainer.... go straight for the FBL. The money you save not having to put an FBL head on your FB will pay for the FBL gyro. You can get a 450 SE based frame and put an FBL head on it later on but the geometry will not be right unless you get the right linkages and the right swash size etc..... honestly it's not worth it. Just get the pro frame and the FBL head straight up. The pro frames are so much easier to work on than the SEV2 (HK450GT) frames are.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 AM
ahamay

I need a BIGGER monitor to fit your signature on..... MR Sumo

FrSky Taranis (rev B) w/ Spektrum Module/ Spektrum DX7 (soon to be retired) / Align 500CF FBL w/ FU-BAR Gyro / Blade MCP X Brushless Mod / Gemini 600 Catamaran / Red and Blue Nirvana II one meter sail boats / Paradise sail boat /Big Swamp Buggy / HobbyKing "Swamp Dawg" / Slow Stick / HK Firefly Q450 Quad w/ HK Mega FC board / Durafly T-28 / H/H Icon - A5 / E Flite Piper L-4/ Parkzone UM T-28 / HK Fox Glider / Fat Shark Attitudes FPV Goggles / Mobius Actioncam / Teksumo

Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 AM
rikybob

@ mnem - Cool stuff!

@ Rob - Cool quad/s that H quad begs for a FPV set up! You'd be a natural!

@ Edmund - Great hearing from you and sorry about your hip!

@ Koz - Language PLEASE! Enjoy the sail plane as they are ADDICTIVE!

@ Jonesy - Pfff!

@ All - Busy week and look to fly in the AM then perhaps Thursday!

All the best!

b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taTCusjPHIQ
Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 AM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by ahamay
FrSky Taranis (rev B) w/ Spektrum Module/ Spektrum DX7 (soon to be retired) / Align 500CF FBL w/ FU-BAR Gyro / Blade MCP X Brushless Mod / Gemini 600 Catamaran / Red and Blue Nirvana II one meter sail boats / Paradise sail boat /Big Swamp Buggy / HobbyKing "Swamp Dawg" / Slow Stick / HK Firefly Q450 Quad w/ HK Mega FC board / Durafly T-28 / H/H Icon - A5 / E Flite Piper L-4/ Parkzone UM T-28 / HK Fox Glider / Fat Shark Attitudes FPV Goggles / Mobius Actioncam / Teksumo

I need a BIGGER monitor to fit your signature on..... MR Sumo

Wait til I get around to updating MY sig... Muahahahaha!!!

mnem
Pants are highly overrated.

Last edited by mnemennth; 05-19-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:02 AM
Rob2160

@ mnem - Cool stuff!

@ Rob - Cool quad/s that H quad begs for a FPV set up! You'd be a natural!

@ Edmund - Great hearing from you and sorry about your hip!

@ Koz - Language PLEASE! Enjoy the sail plane as they are ADDICTIVE!

@ Jonesy - Pfff!

@ All - Busy week and look to fly in the AM then perhaps Thursday!

All the best!

b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taTCusjPHIQ
You got two antennas on that Taranis… posh git module user.!!

2:45, is it a bird or a plane?

Yeah the idea of FPV is growing on me. Slowly..

The video looks great, is that the Mobius?

Howdy Kozzy, good to hear from you.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:33 AM
rikybob

You got two antennas on that Taranis… posh git module user.!!

2:45, is it a bird or a plane?

Yeah the idea of FPV is growing on me. Slowly..

The video looks great, is that the Mobius?

Howdy Kozzy, good to hear from you.

Hiya Rob!

The bird was an Osprey!

Yah, that is the VERY capable Mobius cam!

All the best!

b
Old 05-19-2014, 11:54 AM
rikybob

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000]

mnem

Please don't have "signature envy"!

It's not becoming!

b
Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM
mnemennth

mnem
Please don't have "signature envy"!

It's not becoming!

b
b -

Meh... has nothing to do with 3nvy. I'm just lazy when it comes to updating ANYTHING... hence my ToughBook still running Windows XP.

Rob -

Chris makes some fine little quads; not a penny wasted on the extra cost over a generic frame as far as I'm concerned. I just wish he'd make a slightly bigger ONE frame... : popcorn :

BTW, almost 18,000 views on my Tech Teardown! w00t!

[EDIT]

Also... I scoped these out a while back; they're the most promising VR (And by association, FPV as well) tech I've ever seen. They might actually NOT make me want to barf while wearing them, and if I had the discretionary funds, I'd be ALL UP in them. I've known about OLED technology for years, and it's why I've NEVER EVER been impressed by the FatPRICETAGshark; they've leveraged 10 year-old display tech into a bleeping EMPIRE.

https://www.oculusvr.com/order/

Be warned; these are NOT plug & play. But they ARE, from all reports, mature technology that is finally at the "useable" stage of development.

[/EDIT]

mnem
Vote Froot Loops for President!

Last edited by mnemennth; 05-19-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:38 AM
Rob2160

Had another attempt to fly the X650F today with flashed Afro ESCs, I was advised on RCG that the 15-5-13 firmware might work but unfortunately it didn't.

(Didn't get a chance to flash the latest firmware Noel, I was halfway through the new install when I read your message)

Anyway, long story short.

Afro ESC - changed to Q-Brain
Orange RX - changed to Futaba
Multiwii Pro - changed to Naza Lite.

Works like a charm!. Not a hiccup on the test flight. No flight video as it was too dark outside but it hovers nicely and position / altitude hold on the Naza is rock steady. I had a slight TBE the first time but then did another compass calibration outdoors that fixed it.

I'll do more testing tomorrow.

On the Q-Brain Brian, did yours get warm too? Its gets warmer than warm but not really hot.... Using 10 x 4.5 props but they are actually the lowest size for these motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUOeMtxbbXA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMA7TU3ntBU
Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 AM
mnemennth

Which Q-Brain are you using? The 20A or the 30A? I've read that the 30A is really not a great improvement in actual capacity...

mnem
*Braims*
Old 05-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Rob2160

Which Q-Brain are you using? The 20A or the 30A? I've read that the 30A is really not a great improvement in actual capacity...

mnem
*Braims*
Its the 25amp one. Seems to work ok but I won't try bigger props just in case.

Did a few mods to the new Armattan V-tail tonight. This is the look I was after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hABIUlHwOK4
Old 05-22-2014, 05:30 PM
rikybob

@ Rob - Comments on YT!

@ All -

Carved out a few hours between work and dog sitting. Many you can't take your eyes off a new puppy!

Flew the Fox Glider, UMX ICON A5 and the Q450 today and had a blast!

Go to my channel if you wanna get bored but here is some samples..... oh, and meet my new "daughter"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gogTMcCdq_8&feature=youtu.be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY-FRldNpMw&feature=youtu.be

Name:	IMG_20140507_204628 (2) (1).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	1997492  
Old 05-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Edmund2

Brian, you are so close, just do that roll!!!! Missus visitied the lady next door last night and I hovered a CP in the lounge. Been a while since I last did it but no pieces went flying but there were a few close calls. Really shows that I have not been flying.

Edmund
Old 05-25-2014, 06:22 AM
rikybob

@ Edund - I will roll my little UM T-28 no prob. The big uns?? Not so much!

@ All - Contracted the lurgy just before the big boating holiday! Grrrr...ran across THIS the other day....is "convergence" upon us? It darned sure happened to the cell phone/computer/tablet.

Amazing!

b
Old 05-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Rob2160

@ Edund - I will roll my little UM T-28 no prob. The big uns?? Not so much!

@ All - Contracted the lurgy just before the big boating holiday! Grrrr...ran across THIS the other day....is "convergence" upon us? It darned sure happened to the cell phone/computer/tablet.

Amazing!

b
One transmitter module to rule them all!.

Get well soon and enjoy your holiday...

My Quad fleet is growing... and I don't even really like quads... much.

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	1998157  
Old 05-25-2014, 10:58 AM
rikybob

One transmitter module to rule them all!.

Get well soon and enjoy your holiday...

My Quad fleet is growing... and I don't even really like quads... much.

Thanx Rob!

On the mend as we speak!

Yah, if I had the energy I'd go back and find where you rebuked the idea of a quad like I did when Peter said he would never get a 450!

Long ago I learned to "Never say never"!

I'll tell you what's interesting is that these "consumer grade" quads like the DJI Phantom II that literally my new puppy could fly are becoming the rage of the "I got 1300 bux layin' around" cross section of folks.

DJI has it licked. If you have 1300 bux and an inkling of a notion you can become an aerial videograhper in short order and not even know how to fly!

b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.