Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Old 08-29-2014, 03:15 AM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ingleburn
Me being the crash test dummy on this project suggested it as a way of fitting a PDB in between the plates.
Ended up being a waste of time as the one I chose didnt give clean enough power to the Vtx https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=55556
On my next rebuild it will be coming out and Ill use the space to fit the esc,s in. Brians excuse is he cant solder for s h i t and needed 5mm spacers to make some room
My battery fits in between decks so pendulum effect is not there.

Yah, when I realized, because I didn't "test fit" my components properly I'd cut all my freakin' esc lines too short, I didn't want to de solder from the boards (See: What the F happens when Noel does this) and I didn't want to add FOUR more solder joints by soldering them back. So's I ran my NEG/POS lines up the middle of the frame and made a "liquid PDB" out of 'em and just soldered them to the main trunk. I simply peel back the silicon on the rear portion and joined the back ESC's for a very UN elegant but effieicient way to tie my ESC's together!

In doing so with all the extra BIG line and heat shrink all over the place I needed room.

I have big Ham Hands and man, trying to move stuff around in that little space made me KRAZY!

Homemade 5mm shims proved the trick!

b
Old 08-29-2014, 04:01 PM
mnemennth

Me being the crash test dummy on this project suggested it as a way of fitting a PDB in between the plates.
Ended up being a waste of time as the one I chose didnt give clean enough power to the Vtx https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=55556
On my next rebuild it will be coming out and Ill use the space to fit the esc,s in. Brians excuse is he cant solder for s h i t and needed 5mm spacers to make some room
My battery fits in between decks so pendulum effect is not there.

Dang! Really? 5A not enough for your VTX?

Oh, I think I see... Unless you're running 4S, you aren't going to have enough voltage to get 12V out of that for your VTX or camera. It's a step-down only; you'll need at least 1-2 volts higher input than your desired output. With 11.1V nominal for 3S, that's 9-10V max out.

As for can't solder... I certainly don't suffer from that. but I still thought that PDB I linked to above was a good idea. It's black, not purple, BTW.

On a related note; I just received this from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ctId=15725446#

It's pretty good clone of a Weller WSL base married to a Hakko ceramic 70W iron; at $22.47 on clearance, it's an awesome deal. Good enough that I put my Weller WTCPN away for reserve.

If you can find it at a store near you... they went on clearance for last Christmas, so not many left. My local RS told me I Got the last one in Tejas.

mnem
Shopping list is getting shorter!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 PM
rikybob

Same rig as Noels with smaller Vtx and the AFROMINI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fy2we7k_DU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyHpiRflwDI
Old 08-30-2014, 04:45 PM
mnemennth

You can turn that 10 minute limit off on the Mobius, you know, buddy. How long's it been since you updated the firmware in that thing?

You need to get rid of those whiny Gemfans, dude. I can hear 'em all the way across the Gulf; sounds like a swarm of p!ssed-0ff skeeterz. Don't make me come over there with a flyswatter.

mnem
POOT!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:51 PM
rikybob

Originally Posted by mnemennth
You can turn that 10 minute limit off on the Mobius, you know, buddy. How long's it been since you updated the firmware in that thing?

You need to get rid of those whiny Gemfans, dude. I can hear 'em all the way across the Gulf; sounds like a swarm of p!ssed-0ff skeeterz. Don't make me come over there with a flyswatter.

mnem
POOT!

Jealousy does not become you young man!

Gonna need to see some air time on yer rig!

How'd you like that bad boy!

RIGHT up off the ground on the maiden!

Shhhheeeeeee it! That's cool!

Firmware is current up to within the last two iterations. It has it's own bootloader so NO crazy witchcraft now to upgrade! Speaking of which DO not get in a hurry as with all F/W...blah, blah blah, you know the drill!

I WILL be playin' with props.

What's yer fav these days as i semi follow you on the 250 thread. Wait, I dropped my "TIle"!

All the best!

b
Old 08-30-2014, 05:28 PM
ingleburn

Your not flying if your not trying
And at $2.30 a full set Ill stick with the skeeterz for a bit longer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNZG4yTp2w
Old 08-30-2014, 11:52 PM
mnemennth

I'm still buildin', beeyatch.

And I AM flying; just not THIS. YET. I've gone through about 6 sets of props on my FPV Spider; either I'm not getting them balanced well enough or there's something flaky with my KK2. It randomly death wobbles right at the edge of the ground-effect envelope and tries to somersault on the prop-tips. I'm seriously thinking about trying b's KK2 I that I replaced the processor on.

BoltRC has the HQProps in both 6030 and 6045 for $3 a pair, buddy (Well, $6.11/2 pairs). We have several users on the C250 thread flying both on the DYS 1806es at 3S. It appears they really are the Top Dawg bang/buck-wise right now.

http://boltrc.com/index.php?route=pr...ch&search=6030

http://boltrc.com/index.php?route=pr...ch&search=6045

The 6" HQProps are better balanced, better airfoil and they're what I'll be flying on my C250. Everybody who's using them says they're so smooth, they make your quad fly twice as well. I think it was you who suggested I get into some CF props for my FPV Spider for the very same reason...

mnem
Snarky little roo-BLEEP!er...

Last edited by mnemennth; 08-30-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:04 AM
ingleburn

I'm still buildin', beeyatch.

And I AM flying; just not THIS. YET. I've gone through about 6 sets of props on my FPV Spider; either I'm not getting them balanced well enough or there's something flaky with my KK2. It randomly death wobbles right at the edge of the ground-effect envelope and tries to somersault on the prop-tips. I'm seriously thinking about trying b's KK2 I that I replaced the processor on.

BoltRC has the HQProps in both 6030 and 6045 for $3 a pair, buddy (Well, $6.11/2 pairs). We have several users on the C250 thread flying both on the DYS 1806es at 3S. It appears they really are the Top Dawg bang/buck-wise right now.

http://boltrc.com/index.php?route=pr...ch&search=6030

http://boltrc.com/index.php?route=pr...ch&search=6045

The 6" HQProps are better balanced, better airfoil and they're what I'll be flying on my C250. Everybody who's using them says they're so smooth, they make your quad fly twice as well. I think it was you who suggested I get into some CF props for my FPV Spider for the very same reason...

mnem
Snarky little roo-BLEEP!er...
You got enough APM,s now so stop p i s s i n g around with the KK already. Dont know what your doing wrong but my KK 450 quad is really well behaved unless I do something stupid with it.

Using stock settings with 1.6++ Rev 3 and it just flys nice. Maybe if you post up a vid we can see whats going on with it.

Had another 8 flights with the 250 this afternoon and still getting a buzz out of it. Just being a bit more careful around trees

Im going to try the HQ props real soon as Ive only got a few gemfans left.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:06 AM
rikybob

Wow, has it been a year??

b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hVp5BU9Jxw
Old 08-31-2014, 10:09 AM
mnemennth

You got enough APM,s now so stop p i s s i n g around with the KK already. Dont know what your doing wrong but my KK 450 quad is really well behaved unless I do something stupid with it.

Using stock settings with 1.6++ Rev 3 and it just flys nice. Maybe if you post up a vid we can see whats going on with it.

Had another 8 flights with the 250 this afternoon and still getting a buzz out of it. Just being a bit more careful around trees

Im going to try the HQ props real soon as Ive only got a few gemfans left.
Yeah, I know I need to start messing with the APM again... I just wanted to get the frame dialed in with the KK first before I start trying to fidgit with fekking LOITER mode. Of course, if the problem IS my KK, then for all I know the APM will LOITER out of the box like it did for you. I WAS having trouble getting my HDOP to stay down below 1.8, but that was probably related to the general GPS boogery *COUGHmilitaryexercisesCOUGH* we had going on when I was messing with it.

THat KK was always my favorite though... it ALWAYS flew smooth as butter, no matter what I put it on. Part of me says that if I can't get this frame to behave on the KK, I'll be chasing the APM down the street with a shotgun the moment I flip to any autonomous mode...

Anyways; I've been having a LOT of fun hacking my 9XR Pro. I'm still in the process of documenting, but I have some fun in store for us poor Turnigy users, AND I think some of it will migrate to the Taranis with fairly little hassle. In many ways, it's a more powerful platform than the Taranis is; definitely a lot more hack-friendly.

b -

Went out today while the rest of my gaggle was at Chrrch; flew my NanoQX with the Taranis. Got a little overconfident and the invisible hand snatched her away, depositing her upside down on the neighbor's roof.

So, while recovering my Nano, I got to meet my neighbor across the street. Not to put too fine a point on it, but she's a cranky old bat with too many yappy dogs and no interest in being neighborly. And Amber hangin' around my neck, bit**in' at me about being over-time and low battery did NOT help me negotiate for safe passage of my wee beastie one bit; she was utterly unimpressed.

mnem
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog. BTW, my dog's a total a**hole.

Last edited by mnemennth; 08-31-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:38 AM
rikybob

Yeah, I know I need to start messing with the APM again... I just wanted to get the frame dialed in with the KK first before I start trying to fidgit with fekking LOITER mode. Of course, if the problem IS my KK, then for all I know the APM will LOITER out of the box like it did for you. I WAS having trouble getting my HDOP to stay down below 1.8, but that was probably related to the general GPS boogery *COUGHmilitaryexercisesCOUGH* we had going on when I was messing with it.

THat KK was always my favorite though... it ALWAYS flew smooth as butter, no matter what I put it on. Part of me says that if I can't get this frame to behave on the KK, I'll be chasing the APM down the street with a shotgun the moment I flip to any autonomous mode...

Anyways; I've been having a LOT of fun hacking my 9XR Pro. I'm still in the process of documenting, but I have some fun in store for us poor Turnigy users, AND I think some of it will migrate to the Taranis with fairly little hassle. In many ways, it's a more powerful platform than the Taranis is; definitely a lot more hack-friendly.

b -

Went out today while the rest of my gaggle was at Chrrch; flew my NanoQX with the Taranis. Got a little overconfident and the invisible hand snatched her away, depositing her upside down on the neighbor's roof.

So, while recovering my Nano, I got to meet my neighbor across the street. Not to put too fine a point on it, but she's a cranky old bat with too many yappy dogs and no interest in being neighborly. And Amber hangin' around my neck, bit**in' at me about being over-time and low battery did NOT help me negotiate for safe passage of my wee beastie one bit; she was utterly unimpressed.

mnem
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog. BTW, my dog's a total a**hole.

Fly bizzzaaacccchhh!

b

Last edited by rikybob; 08-31-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:02 PM
mnemennth

Lotta blather... The UMX Icon is brushless, right? That seems like a lotta motor noise to me; are you sure you don't have a motor anchor that broke loose while you were rebuilding?

Saw your other blather too; Yes, you'll get some video soon. As soon as I get away from the troll lady and her hounds of heck You weren't doing the kind of flying where "pendulum effect" is going to be an issue; do a few funnels and chain-flips and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I'll get into the Spider FPV again once I finish my Mod Blogs. Lotta material there yet.

mnem
*Hackaday*
Old 08-31-2014, 03:22 PM
rikybob

Lotta blather... The UMX Icon is brushless, right? That seems like a lotta motor noise to me; are you sure you don't have a motor anchor that broke loose while you were rebuilding?

Saw your other blather too; Yes, you'll get some video soon. As soon as I get away from the troll lady and her hounds of heck You weren't doing the kind of flying where "pendulum effect" is going to be an issue; do a few funnels and chain-flips and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I'll get into the Spider FPV again once I finish my Mod Blogs. Lotta material there yet.

mnem
*Hackaday*

Yah, the UMX brushless and niiice. What I most likely did was overheat the on board esc.

My flying skill set is such that now I'm hauling A S S!

My confidence is high now that (mercifully) my skill set is jelling.

I put a drop or two of oil in it but stopped flying WIDE open.

You can appreciate this: @ 0900 is in the morning in FLA it's forking 80+ degrees.

I flew it at 3/4 throttle and it did fine!

Yah, I have NO desire for acro or aero batics beyond a norm. Therefore I might not see the pendulum effect. My wallet muscle can't tolerate things like that, plus,

I'm OLD!

I'm just happy to fly and not crash so much after ALL these years!

If you wan't to laugh peruse my old viddys and start in the early days.

ALL my glory is caught for the world to see.

Crashin' and Flyin' then it led to Flyin' and Crashin' then mostly Flyin'!

I used to get soooo bummed out crashing. Now I ONLY get bummed out if I DIDN'T get it on viddy!

All the best!

b
Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 AM
rikybob

(Warning, Brian's musings to follow. If you don't likey please move on)

So's I went flying my UMX ICON A5 this morning down at the lake. This time I didn't carry my camera (you make thank me) but I DID muse to myself the following:

I learned to fly coaxial helicopters back in 2008 by teaching myself.

With in a calendar year I'd taught myself CP helis as evidenced on my YT channel.

NO SIM!

I was getting bored because I didn't want to do aerobatics so's a fellow board member Jeff Nail sent me the link for all the goodies for a Slow Stick in response to my KILLING a "Clouds Fly" that Rob sent me as a gift!

(The motor off the CF is still in use on my Teksumo!)

When I got that SS up in the air I was HOOKED!

I could afford to crash and learn as the same time.

You see I HATE a simulator.

Still the SS wasn't getting me where I needed to go frankly because it was too slow.

Flash ahead to last Christmas. I "overbought" a full sized T-28 and ICON A5.

I crashed the H E L L out of both b/c I was too scared and experienced to fly them!

So's I bought both in the UMX form.

The UMX T-28 is the BEST 100 bux I've spent to date and it's sister plane the UMX ICON-A5 a close second.

To ANY out there (lurkers included) who wish to learn how to fly get the UMX T-28 as it is VERY nearly indestructible!

All these skill sets translate to each other i.e. Heli to Plane, Plane to Heli!

Kirk out!

b
Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 AM
mnemennth

Yeah, I've tried the small planes route. When I had an indoor venue it was the way to go. Now, trying to fly outdoors, they get too far away too fast and I can't see orientation. It doesn't take long before they're lost after that and I have to cut throttle. So I started gravitating towards larger, more brightly colored birds I can see, but now I don't have a place to fly them.

So now I mostly fly the little stuff and try to keep it "within the confines of the four trees" in my front yard... and evidently not too well as seen in my adventures yesterday.

I need to get at least an AMA Parkfly membership, I think... even if I can't afford the dues at my local club, I could still go down to the park and flog my little helis and bigger quads in the baseball fields; maybe even the swift EPP profile plane my buddy Brook gave me.

We'll see... now that the temperature is starting to drop below 100° average, I might not mind getting out in the suck a little more often; though now we're really at the mercy of the hurricane season with the wind.

I really miss living out in the middle of the country, where I owned 200 acres and nobody could tell me not to fly where I felt like.

mnem
*Frunky*
Old 09-01-2014, 06:10 AM
mnemennth

*Deleted Accidental duplicate post*
Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 AM
rikybob

Yeah, I've tried the small planes route. When I had an indoor venue it was the way to go. Now, trying to fly outdoors, they get too far away too fast and I can't see orientation. It doesn't take long before they're lost after that and I have to cut throttle. So I started gravitating towards larger, more brightly colored birds I can see, but now I don't have a place to fly them.

So now I mostly fly the little stuff and try to keep it "within the confines of the four trees" in my front yard... and evidently not too well as seen in my adventures yesterday.

I need to get at least an AMA Parkfly membership, I think... even if I can't afford the dues at my local club, I could still go down to the park and flog my little helis and bigger quads in the baseball fields; maybe even the swift EPP profile plane my buddy Brook gave me.

We'll see... now that the temperature is starting to drop below 100° average, I might not mind getting out in the suck a little more often; though now we're really at the mercy of the hurricane season with the wind.

I really miss living out in the middle of the country, where I owned 200 acres and nobody could tell me not to fly where I felt like.

mnem
*Frunky*

Honestly each ones goals are simply different.

I can't say my formula will work for all but I'm an average guy with average or slightly above average hand/eye coordination.

My goal was to fly waaaay more than I crashed.

To get to flying I had to lose orientation and cut the throttle but he UMX T-28 was VERY forgiving and DID result in a crash. Or two. Perhaps three. You get the picture! I haven't replaced ANYTHING on it yet and it literally looks like a junk yard dog! If one has lets say a "Taranis" one could fly that joker and crash the devil out of it and with a switch called "insta trim" it is forever in trim. H/H banks on one having to buy new parts b/c it's soooo bad out of trim you can't fly after you crash the crap out of it! Me however, owning a Taranis means I'm ALWAYS in trim with ANY aircraft I have!

If ones goal is to amass knowledge and build hanger queens that is very well understood but for me, and me only, the money shot was researching, building and flying.

I taught myself how to do all three and sit at this keyboard smug in those accomplishments.

I WILL not let something with props win and I didn't!

Be it inalienable truth that we all go down different paths with different expectations.

Picard out!

b

Last edited by rikybob; 09-01-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:37 PM
mnemennth

b -

Yeah... I guess. For me, part of this "Hobby" thing was to have something where I didn't really have any goals. The rest of my life is pretty much nothing but clearly-defined goals; some of which I may or may not meet. Such is life.

I haven't built anything... EVER... that I didn't EVENTUALLY drive. I expect this to be just more of the same. When I'm ready I will fly my Cub, and my Pitts, and my Pawnee. It will happen.

On a related note; I found THIS in my INBOX today and immediately thought of you, buddy.

Note that there are no props involved, so like... no pressure.

mnem
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SB-F-05.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	2027954  

Last edited by mnemennth; 09-01-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM
rikybob

b -

Yeah... I guess. For me, part of this "Hobby" thing was to have something where I didn't really have any goals. The rest of my life is pretty much nothing but clearly-defined goals; some of which I may or may not meet. Such is life.

I haven't built anything... EVER... that I didn't EVENTUALLY drive. I expect this to be just more of the same. When I'm ready I will fly my Cub, and my Pitts, and my Pawnee. It will happen.

On a related note; I found THIS in my INBOX today and immediately thought of you, buddy.

Note that there are no props involved, so like... no pressure.

mnem
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
Thanx for thinkin;of me. It's actually a great boat that requires only a few mods!

I get it re: goals and the hobby.

Willy Nelson, famous crooner was once asked how he did on his golf game and he advised that he doesn't keep score.

When asked "Why" he said "I have enough challenges in my day do day life and I don't like to take something I love and make it miserable."

So I getcha.

All the best!

b
Old 09-04-2014, 01:29 PM
rikybob

H E L L S Yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-82dMjCnjOs

Name:	ZMR250a.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	2028945   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZMR250b.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	2028946   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZMR250c.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2028947  

Last edited by rikybob; 09-04-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:40 PM
rikybob

Got to get RID of some of my extra stuff at the LHS annual swap meet today. I shortened my sig line and made 200 bux!

Name:	bb3.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2029632   Click image for larger version

Name:	bba.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	2029633   Click image for larger version

Name:	bbgraves.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	2029634  

Last edited by rikybob; 09-06-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:27 PM
ingleburn

Originally Posted by rikybob
Got to get RID of some of my extra stuff at the LHS annual swap meet today. I shortened my sig line and made 200 bux!

Im sure I can find a way to help you spend it

Just ordered a selection of props to try out. HQ 5x3, 5x4 and 6x3. Sure Ill have fun breaking them.
Weathers been awful here for days but got out for a couple of flights this morning. I feel sorry for my batteries.
Sorry for the poor quality. YT chopped it to bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfYL_MzRwFk&feature=youtu.be
Old 09-07-2014, 02:42 AM
rikybob

Yeah, my wife is going to KILL me!

Noel, your IN my pockets!

As far as the viddy....I saw a derelict sitting on some pilings??

All the best!

b
Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 PM
mnemennth

Default Turnigy 9XR / 9XR Pro White LED Backlight Mod - Trsnsmitter BLING!

http://youtu.be/rV3IBJ3u7NA Custom RGB LED Backlight assembly replaces OEM; controlled by RGB LED Strip lighting controller.

TX Has both LCD Backlight and [READY!] LED converted so overall "look" is complete; IR remote controls Color selection and Brightness, but controller is integrated so that software is still able to switch backlight ON & OFF as usual.

Controller has 15 pre-programmed colors plus White; it also offers four cyclic lighting effects to complete the "Bling!"

I am currently in the process of writing up a photo how-to in my Blog; I will update here when it is completed.

And yes, I will soon be working on a version for the Taranis/Taranis Plus!!!

Thanks for viewing,

mnem
"DR. BLINGENSTEIN!"
Old 09-09-2014, 02:48 AM
rikybob

http://youtu.be/rV3IBJ3u7NA Custom RGB LED Backlight assembly replaces OEM; controlled by RGB LED Strip lighting controller.

TX Has both LCD Backlight and [READY!] LED converted so overall "look" is complete; IR remote controls Color selection and Brightness, but controller is integrated so that software is still able to switch backlight ON & OFF as usual.

Controller has 15 pre-programmed colors plus White; it also offers four cyclic lighting effects to complete the "Bling!"

I am currently in the process of writing up a photo how-to in my Blog; I will update here when it is completed.

And yes, I will soon be working on a version for the Taranis/Taranis Plus!!!

Thanks for viewing,

mnem
"DR. BLINGENSTEIN!"

Damn that is COOL!

How does it fly?

b

(I kid, because I love)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.