Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Old 05-25-2014, 06:06 PM
mnemennth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, until some dumbass cuts his own throat with one; it'll be all over FOX Noise as "When Drones ATTACK!!" and we'll all have to put them away for 3 years until the courts decide only Cops, the Army and of course big corporations with the money to buy the laws they like should be allowed to have them.

I had a visitor on my YoubTube today; harassing me about being chicken to fly my Pitts. Who dooya think that might have been, b?

mnem
It's only a matter of time.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:11 PM
rikybob

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Yeah, until some dumbass cuts his own throat with one; it'll be all over FOX Noise as "When Drones ATTACK!!" and we'll all have to put them away for 3 years until the courts decide only Cops, the Army and of course big corporations with the money to buy the laws they like should be allowed to have them.

I had a visitor on my YoubTube today; harassing me about being chicken to fly my Pitts. Who dooya think that might have been, b?

mnem
It's only a matter of time.
The harassment already started HERE!

Speaking of Youtube harassment. The young med student who let that quad get away is HATED on the web for bringing derision on enthusiasts!

Calm skies!

b
Old 05-25-2014, 07:19 PM
mnemennth

I looked at that module... it's slightly tempting for my Genius CP, but I think that money would be better spent on a Taranis. It's just too much for a TX Module, especially without support for Telemetry.

Truth is, it's a product whose time came & went before it was ever produced; this thing woulda been Da Bomb a few years ago when everybody was flying the mCPX, Genius CP and 9 Eagles Solo Pro. I'm pretty much completely "ho-hum" about it now, especially for the price.

[EDIT]

Evidently this has been around since October... guess they don't care if the y sit on 'em for a while.

[/EDIT]

mnem
*Yawwwwn*

Last edited by mnemennth; 05-25-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Edmund2

Now a have considerably shorter 550E but it take up more space due to it having a couple of loose pieces. Now who said height is your friend? Too low, too fast and then dumb thumbed it. Must say the gap in the lounge is noticeable having moved it to a box in the garage. Will be a whle before it takes to the air again.

Edmund
Old 05-26-2014, 02:41 PM
mnemennth

Aww... that blows, buddy. Maybe you need to fill that gap with a quad...

I'm building one of these:

In fact, my build will be VERY close to this one in most aspects, as I bought the same kit Joe did, as well as the AVDome.

If I had it to do again, I'd probably get my parts piecemeal, that way I could substitute better motors (actually, these motors are very good; it's just the bolt-on hubs that suck and require a lot of fiddly time to get sorted); I wish I'd gotten the similar spec HK PropDrive or RCTimer HT motors I vacillated over while deciding whether to buy this kit.

Ah well; another life lesson: When someCOMPANYbody puts everything you think you want together at a price that's too good to be true AND free shipping, it USUALLY means you just don't know something you should before you buy. I'm still happy with my purchase.

In related news:

I am currently enjoying an absolutely fabulous "pants-free day".

That is all.

mnem
"doo-dee-doo... doo-dee-doo-doo-doo..."
Old 05-26-2014, 03:21 PM
rikybob

Aww... that blows, buddy. Maybe you need to fill that gap with a quad...

I'm building one of these:

In fact, my build will be VERY close to this one in most aspects, as I bought the same kit Joe did, as well as the AVDome.

If I had it to do again, I'd probably get my parts piecemeal, that way I could substitute better motors (actually, these motors are very good; it's just the bolt-on hubs that suck and require a lot of fiddly time to get sorted); I wish I'd gotten the similar spec HK PropDrive or RCTimer HT motors I vacillated over while deciding whether to buy this kit.

Ah well; another life lesson: When someCOMPANYbody puts everything you think you want together at a price that's too good to be true AND free shipping, it USUALLY means you just don't know something you should before you buy. I'm still happy with my purchase.

In related news:

I am currently enjoying an absolutely fabulous "pants-free day".

That is all.

mnem
"doo-dee-doo... doo-dee-doo-doo-doo..."
Hiya mnem!

Had a good day back at work with no fatalities on my watch!

Yah, never been a fan of Walkera (our friend Phil almost got killed, TWICE by their stuff. I'm NOT making this up), nine eagles ain't EVER been on my radar and I have a Spektrum module on my AWESOME Taranis!

It IS an interesting convergence of product. My thinking is, is that if it were an Airtronics, Spektrum and Futaba module.....

Glad you like your quad well enough! Yeppers, been bit by the ole "bundle" in the past but like you, not so hard!

You should take to the quad fairly well because in simple mod all you have to do, unlike me, is to stay put and the thing will come back or away from you no matter your orientation!

No real skillz required!

Looking forward to flying this Wednesday/Thursday!

As for here, it's always "pants free" day!

b
Old 05-26-2014, 03:24 PM
rikybob

@ Edmund!

Sorry to hear about your crash but hope no one got hurt!

Get 'er back up the air!

All the best!

b
Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Edmund2

Been looking at quads for a while and it may just be what my skillset require. One day I would fly a heli well doing rolls etc then next time I have to concentrate like mad just to keep it stable. Noticed my right hand it starting with an uncontrollable twitch that may just have me stop flying alltogether. Years of archery caused some nerve damage or is it just old age creeping in.

Edmund
Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by Edmund2
Been looking at quads for a while and it may just be what my skillset require. One day I would fly a heli well doing rolls etc then next time I have to concentrate like mad just to keep it stable. Noticed my right hand it starting with an uncontrollable twitch that may just have me stop flying alltogether. Years of archery caused some nerve damage or is it just old age creeping in.

Edmund
It's why I've sworn off helis. Age, lack of a "wallet muscle" to pay for crashes. Lack of fun, frankly.

Quads and planks have been a HOOT!

Easier or harder to fly as you like!

The new Taranis radio can be attenuated to account for hand tremors Scott Pages videos on Youtube I recall address this issue.

I think the way it worked was to leave the center stick dead until it moved a portion of a degree at which time his fine tremors tended to subside.

b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stuTaEXhUPA

Last edited by rikybob; 05-27-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 PM
mnemennth

Hmmm... my uncontrollable twitches are usually either a result of some bit of gear not going together like the instructions say they will, or prolonged exposure to a 6-year-old boy who is so much like I was at his age (Read Johnny Test, Dexter's Lab and Dennis the Menace all rolled into one) it's terrifying. They can usually be cured by flipping through the shows on Netflix until I space out and start to drool and/or a little Retail Therapy.

On an unrelated note, this has been a week of fixing breakdowns, which have all converged on me today. First, wife's car kakks a battery at her school AND she locks herself out of it. I go and rescue her with the battery out of my old Saturn. Over the holiday weekend, she parked my car in the back yard and I didn't realize it until after it had been pouring rain all night; it was sunk into the sandy loam we have here right up to the axles. I take her to work at the buttcrack of dawn so I can have her car, and when I get home the washer's pissed out a lake all over the floor. Admittedly, this I was expecting because it had been howling like a banshee every time it spin cycled, but of course the timing was perfect.

So I swap out the washer with an old Whirlpool I picked up a couple years ago as a spare and stored in the garage, and the auger doesn't work. I know how to fix it, and the kit's only $15, so I get in my wife's car to go pick them up, and it won't start. No dimming of the lights, no click, just nothing but the usual lights on the dash when I turn to start.

At this point, I have my old car with no battery, my wife's car which is dead and my car stuck in the mud. And 2 dead washing machines and no way to get parts, and I need to pick up my daughter by 11am.

Tick-tock.

I put the old battery from wife's car in my old Saturn, jack up my car in the mud with my floor jack and a bunch of cribbing so I can get a chain around the axle, then jump start the old Saturn from her car and go tow my car out of the mud. Finally, I have a vehicle I can drive. It is now 09:00. I go get parts to fix the washer and work on it until it's time to pick up the kids; then I'm busy watching them (and recovering from wrestling my car out of the mud mostly by brute force) until it's time to pick up wife. Herd the dawdling machine (my son) and his sister into shoes and then the car; we get a block away and I realize I still have the 4th seat in the garage due to holiday weekend activities. Go back, get it, pick up wife half-hour late. She's understandably miffed.

Get home, put her car up on jackstands, give the starter a whack with a hammer and bup! it starts. Fried brushes, most likely. Rummage around in the garage for a half hour and find the spare starter I had stowed away from the other other Saturn; swap it out and do an oil change and top the fluids & tires and now I'm here, typing all about it.

I certainly hope we've got no more surprises in store... today has been the exact opposite of yesterday.

mnem
Murphy, you're an utter sum'mitch.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Edmund2

Mnem, your Tuesday made mine pale in comparison, as I had just another square eye day behind the screen with a constant stream of people into my office requiring me to think for them. My former hyperactive son turned 32 earlier this year so though those memories are way back in the past I do know what it is about. Will not say that he was a madhatter in his earlier years.

Made an inventory what will be required just to get the mechanical parts of the 550 fixed and I suppose it will come to a whack to my wallet. Loaded the mcpx into the car this morning and will fly it in the basement during lunch just to get some form of enjoyment out of the day.

Brian, I enjoyed that video about the setup and that makes sense if you have the ability to do so. Dunking a biscuit into the coffee this moring I had to concentrate to keep it still between the two fingers just to get it into the centre of the mug. The moment I do not concentrate it takes a while to get it dunked. I sure do hope this not a sign of someting else starting.

Edmund
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 AM
mnemennth

Ugggh. Woke up... help wifey get the kids ready for school, find the fridge is half-warm and the freezer is starting to thaw. Mad dash to cram all the food into our back fridge/freezer; wifey & kids get off to school only 15 minutes late.

Making my own breakfast, I find I can barely lift a gallon of milk with my right arm; feels like some carpal tunnel inflammation. Guess I must have hurt myself yesterday dragging that jack and crap through the mud.

And now, as I stand in the bathroom taking my morning whizz, I can hear the fan motor on the Air Conditioning condenser just outside the window is howling like a banshee.

Eff this. I'm going back to bed.

mnem
Welcome to the suck.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:25 AM
rikybob

@ mnem - GOOD GOD sir! "...if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..." Hope you 'round the corner soon!

@ Edmund - Yah, if you have the type of tremors that go away when you actually USE you hands than that's the Tx for you!

@ All - Had a great day and enjoyed 3 loooong flights on my Fox today in 20kt ish winds. So I guess if you don't have a BIG ass airplane (2000USD "Jonesy money") you can buy a large glider for about 120 USD and fly yer pants off! The battery meter and the vario worked flawlessly!

Enjoy the viddys and blather and of course MORE on my Youtube channel!

Good skies!

b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmCSeZKS8c&feature=youtu.be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQb6711FobE

Last edited by rikybob; 05-28-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:32 AM
mnemennth

So... things are looking up. I have my daughter home now; but I've had a chance to look at the fridge. The compressor locked up due to overheating/excessive head pressure caused by the condenser being clogged with dust elephants.

It hasn't gotten so hot it burned up the thermodisc, so judging by several years experience working at the Ding & Dent Appliance Store, there's about a 50/50 chance that once it cools off it'll start up again. After that, another 50/50 chance it lasts a week due to some actual damage to the compressor. After that, if I'm REALLY lucky (knock on wood), I can call it a fridge again.

I had to go to the Harbor Freight and get a telescoping air nozzle to blow it all out; now it's just a matter of waiting until it's gotten completely cooled off. A couple hours with a fan blowing on the compressor should be the moment of truth.

mnem
"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."
Old 05-28-2014, 09:39 AM
rikybob

So... things are looking up. I have my daughter home now; but I've had a chance to look at the fridge. The compressor locked up due to overheating/excessive head pressure caused by the condenser being clogged with dust elephants.

It hasn't gotten so hot it burned up the thermodisc, so judging by several years experience working at the Ding & Dent Appliance Store, there's about a 50/50 chance that once it cools off it'll start up again. After that, another 50/50 chance it lasts a week due to some actual damage to the compressor. After that, if I'm REALLY lucky (knock on wood), I can call it a fridge again.

I had to go to the Harbor Freight and get a telescoping air nozzle to blow it all out; now it's just a matter of waiting until it's gotten completely cooled off. A couple hours with a fan blowing on the compressor should be the moment of truth.

mnem
"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

I completely agree with your surmise!

Florida and Texas are phreakin' dust bowls and we should clean that area TWICE a year!

I forget a season (or two) and the same thing happens to me.

I blow/vacuum that joker out and GOOD AS NEW!

Hard to believe a 15 minute job, that boils down to pulling 5 screws and a cardboard insulator board and you save money (fridge runs less) and save a fridge!

Just something you don't think of until it breaks!

All the best!

b

PS Big plus is you get to see what you are growing under the unit!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 PM
mnemennth

Well, Murphy decided to thumb his nose at me again... It's dead... deceased. Passed on. Bereft of life. It rests in peace. An EX-REFRIGERATOR. I wasn't even able to resuscitate the compressor with 220V and a sound beating with a rubber mallet.

I just spent the last two hours wrestling it out into the garage and the garage fridge into the kitchen... and now I remember why the garage fridge is a garage fridge: it pees on the floor. Uggh.

I'm used up. My wife was kind enough to make breakfast for dinner... She is the BEST. I'm gonna take a mess of pills for my back and a shot of something blue and crawl into bed.

Tomorrow is a new day.

mnem
My momma said there'd be days like this; "There'll be days like this." my momma said...
Old 05-29-2014, 05:06 PM
ahamay

Hello 8itches, yes I'm still around. Finally finished the Tek Sumo Build and did the Maiden Flight this morning. Love it.... its an absolute hoot to fly. Was trimmed almost spot on and tracks very try. I'm going to love flying it. Here's the viddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OywZBkvWcXM&list=UU-LHgZeFvtPme6g4Ua07ajw
Old 05-29-2014, 09:05 PM
mnemennth

Toldja so!!

Wait'll you try it in the wind; you won't want to fly anything else when the wind is kicking up, especially with that big 2200 in the nose for weight. I'd go a bit bigger on the prop if you can, you'll need the thrust if you hit wind more than 10-15 knots. I think you said you could turn a 6x4 with your motor? I was flying my KFm2 Delta with an Extreme Flight Torque 34T/1520KV (22mm x 5.5mm stator) 29gr motor turning a GWS HIDEOUS ORANGE™ 8x4 Slo-Fly Prop; it was pulling 90W on a 1000mAH 2S pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocP4qCslmyw
I TRIED to get y'all up in these things jeez, it's been a year ago now. It went over like a fart-powered Calliope.

mnem
*zoom-zoom*

Last edited by mnemennth; 05-29-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 PM
ahamay

Toldja so!!

Wait'll you try it in the wind; you won't want to fly anything else when the wind is kicking up, especially with that big 2200 in the nose for weight. I'd go a bit bigger on the prop if you can, you'll need the thrust if you hit wind more than 10-15 knots. I think you said you could turn a 6x4 with your motor? I was flying my KFm2 Delta with an Extreme Flight Torque 34T/1520KV (22mm x 5.5mm stator) 29gr motor turning a GWS HIDEOUS ORANGE™ 8x4 Slo-Fly Prop; it was pulling 90W on a 1000mAH 2S pack.
I TRIED to get y'all up in these things jeez, it's been a year ago now. It went over like a fart-powered Calliope.
mnem
*zoom-zoom*
I've got a 6x5.5 that's going on there tonight. Should be close to perfect for it.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 PM
mnemennth

Yeah; sounds about right given you're flying 3S. Whats your AUW; 375-425gr? Mine was 320gr; but the dollar store foam isn't near as tough as that EPP.

I really need to get into another one; ya know, once I actually have a place to fly again.

mnem
*Lost in Vehicle Inspection Hell*
Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 PM
ahamay

Yeah; sounds about right given you're flying 3S. Whats your AUW; 375-425gr? Mine was 320gr; but the dollar store foam isn't near as tough as that EPP.
I really need to get into another one; ya know, once I actually have a place to fly again.
mnem
*Lost in Vehicle Inspection Hell*
6x5.5 was much better. Unlimited vertical on a fresh pack... and motor just warm after 10mins. Total weight is 500g with the 2200mah 3s. Will launch straight out of my hand when I let it go. After about 5 packs i'm back on 100% dual rates and 40% expo. They fly great.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 PM
mnemennth

w00t!

She's a heavy beastie... but that'll rule in high winds. You said you were using an oversized ESC and added some CF, but I didn't think it would add up to that much over the suggested AUW of 350-400gr. What's your hands-free hang time? When I'm landing mine, it'll take about 10-15 seconds or so hands-off/no throttle from 30 ft altitude; it just sortof wafts down like a leaf... it REALLY feels like forever... LOL

mnem
There was a snail on the leaf!

Last edited by mnemennth; 05-30-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 PM
ahamay

w00t!

She's a heavy beastie... but that'll rule in high winds. You said you were using an oversized ESC and added some CF, but I didn't think it would add up to that much over the suggested AUW of 350-400gr. What's your hands-free hang time? When I'm landing mine, it'll take about 10-15 seconds or so hands-off/no throttle from 30 ft altitude; it just sortof wafts down like a leaf... it REALLY feels like forever... LOL
mnem
There was a snail on the leaf!
It glides real nice.... must have the cg spot on. No problems gliding it in with no throttle and catching it on the landings. The real cool thing is if your near the ground or stuffed up your landing etc you can just punch full throttle and pull up and out of trouble.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by ahamay
Hello 8itches, yes I'm still around. Finally finished the Tek Sumo Build and did the Maiden Flight this morning. Love it.... its an absolute hoot to fly. Was trimmed almost spot on and tracks very try. I'm going to love flying it. Here's the viddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OywZBkvWcXM&list=UU-LHgZeFvtPme6g4Ua07ajw
Great maiden, I love the way the flying wings fly. Looks like you've got it trimmed perfectly. Fanging it is good!.

That would make an awesome slope soarer also.

Did more work on the HK Alien 560 today, hope to have it flying this week (as soon as the NAZA turns up from HK) (they are the 40 amp HV esc's Brian, taking no chances with this one)

The top plate is not part of the kit, its from the cannibalised Hercules quad kit that I lost interest it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	928.5 KB
ID:	2000194   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	967.4 KB
ID:	2000195   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	870.7 KB
ID:	2000196   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Size:	931.8 KB
ID:	2000197   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1,004.4 KB
ID:	2000198   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 11.JPG
Size:	907.1 KB
ID:	2000199   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 12.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	935.5 KB
ID:	2000200   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 13.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	784.9 KB
ID:	2000201  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 14.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	729.8 KB
ID:	2000202  

Last edited by Rob2160; 05-31-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 PM
mnemennth

Rob -

Looks good; why lost interest in the Herc? Was it as I feared; all style, no substance? Or is the FPV Alien just so far beyond it in terms of quality it just doesn't seem worth the time?

mnem
*Still puttering on my FPV Spider Cheapie*

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.