Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Old 06-09-2014, 01:55 PM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Sorry... had a brain fa*t. Blenderm, not Dermicel.

Tape hinges are made this way:

It's important to make sure the top tape and the bottom tape stick to each other in the gap, but as small a gap as possible while still permitting that.

For thicker wings where the width of Blenderm isn't enough to make a single continuous hinge, you make individual hinges perpendicular to the edge of the wing from strips cut long enough to give adequate bonding surface.

I've seen the guys fix everything with that stuff; little foamies, big foamies, stick-built even. And especially their flying wings. If the paint gets in the way of it sticking, smear a little Foam-Tac on it then let it get tacky. You REALLY need Foam-Tac for repairs if you're going to fly these. It doesn't crack out like CA.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964237&page=818

mnem
*Sticky*
Thanx for the tips as always!

My local "Hobby Lobby" has Foam-Tac and I'll get a container!

Good stuff!

b
Old 06-11-2014, 12:47 PM
rikybob

Hiya Kidz!

Had a BLAST today at my old flying club!

No one there in the morning and a nice cloud cover PLUS dead air = nearly THREE solid hours of schickt time!

I actually got TIRED of flying!

Eric and I had a BLAST!

A few of the viddys below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg796SEmBTc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNpq6-mH44o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvRgEYGXLHU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by rikybob; 06-11-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:04 AM
rikybob

Happy fathers day to all!

On my end I've been a bad boy!

b

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	popwing.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	2005146  
Old 06-15-2014, 11:33 PM
mnemennth

You're gonna love it!

The big ones are VERY forgiving... and will haul some weight. And haul @**...

Have fun!

mnem
*Building a treadmill so I can burn off some of my fat polack patookie*
Old 06-16-2014, 02:24 AM
rikybob

You're gonna love it!

The big ones are VERY forgiving... and will haul some weight. And haul @**...

Have fun!

mnem
*Building a treadmill so I can burn off some of my fat polack patookie*
I wonder if it will haul a certain "Franken APM"?

b

PS Any word on others repaired?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:21 PM
mnemennth

I was able to fix Noel's APM; its main fault was a cold solder joint on the the new reg. Fixing the I2C bus connector was a bit more involved, but I was successful. I tried to send it back to him; he wouldn't hear of it.

My dad's been down from New York all week visiting; I haven't done a lot of hobby tinkering recently.

mnem
I did have a good 20 minute walk on the treadmill this afternoon without any misbehavior. w00t!

Last edited by mnemennth; 06-16-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:26 PM
rikybob

I was able to fix Noel's APM; its main fault was a cold solder joint on the the new reg. Fixing the I2C bus connector was a bit more involved, but I was successful. I tried to send it back to him, he wouldn't hear of it.

My dad's been down from New York all week visiting; I haven't done a lot of hobby tinkering recently.

mnem
I did have a good 20 minute walk on the treadmill this afternoon without any misbehavior. w00t!

Cool re: Noels board!

The most important is the above in red!

Goodnya!

I NEED to get back on the ole cardio as I've sworn off those joint/muscle killing Statins!

All the best!

b
Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 AM
mnemennth

Grrrr.

Today's walk was marred by the same misbehavior from my treadmill; it just stopped for no obvious reason after about 8 minutes. Stopped & restarted my session and was able to complete my walk, but still dunno why it quit. More troubleshooting in store...

mnem
Spitzenspartinfillibartindirtyratzenfratzenmizzabl elittlepieceofshhhh...

Last edited by mnemennth; 06-17-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:37 AM
mnemennth

Default Well, sonofacrap.

I've been shopping component frame parts for a custom design and...

Evidently I have just stumbled across one of the best-kept secrets of the Hobby Manufacturing Industry.

Go to Amazon.com and type NEEWER into the search bar.

I've bought a LOT of their product from various dealers; I always assumed they were just a China manufacturer. Evidently they are one of the biggest generic parts wholesalers there is, and many of their products can be bought as "Fulfilled by Amazon"; that means free shipping for those of us living in the States if we bundle more than $35 worth of eligible product.

Items of interest I've found so far, all of which are available as "Fulfilled by Amazon":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...3372204&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...qid=1403373101

I scoped out fleaBay; there is a LOT of their product there as well but prices seem to be quite a bit more inflated and of course most vendors are selling direct from China so no free shipping from the US.

mnem
I'm wearing pants!

Name:	41RLJAKRsrL.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	2007420   Click image for larger version

Name:	61cx-mGJ4JL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	2007421   Click image for larger version

Name:	41weWMtgErL.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	2007422   Click image for larger version

Name:	613LGmgcJXL._SL1500_.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2007423   Click image for larger version

Name:	41j9VRB2mdL.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	2007428   Click image for larger version

Name:	616ei4ma03L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2007429   Click image for larger version

Name:	41IDiXCv13L.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	2007430   Click image for larger version

Name:	61KkQkLKVnL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	2007431  

Last edited by mnemennth; 06-21-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:53 PM
ingleburn

Interesting finds there. The spider frame looks a lot like ours but no camera mount and looks like holes need to be drilled to mount the dome.
Not much difference in price either but free deliver for you guys might be the kicker

Upgraded the APM to 3.1.5 and I dont like it. Quad seems jittery and almost had a flyaway when I switched to loiter and it took off sideways.
Lucky I switched but to Stab in time and got it back. Also plenty of speed errors in the logs as well as an INS and I2C error from that flight.
The rest of the pack it worked ok but still flys funny.
Im sure they've crammed so much *hit into the board that it cant cope.
Going back to 3.1.4 which worked perfectly and see what happens.

A question for the guru. I want to use my 3s nanotech that dropped a cell from new in my Taranis.
If I cut the wire from the bad cell, then wire the others to a 2s connector, when I charge it will the other cell cause any problems. Dont want to start any fires
Old 06-21-2014, 08:09 PM
mnemennth

You're not the only one. Some other users have reported issues with 3.1.4 and 3.1.5 unless they turn off like ALL logging.

Yeah, you're not going to be able to do a proper balance charge unless you completely bypass the dead cell. You need to apply charge current to the main leads and have the balance leads just do voltage measurement, unless you use one of those cheapie chargers that charge at like 300-500ma through the balance connector. Whether you can do that depends on which cell died. If it's 1 or 3, yeah, you can just cut off the main power leads and remove the balance lead for the affected cell. if it's cell 2, you're gonna have to cut the pack apart, and in some cases there's nothing to solder to because the tabs are aluminum and spot-welded to the tabs on the next cell.

Does the pack actually fit in the Taranis slot? I understand it came with a 6-cell NiMH pack and some common 3S/2200 packs don't fit... you may have to cut the pack apart and remove the dead cell for it to fit. Better to do so anyways; a dead cell is a safety hazard that I sure wouldn't want to leave in MY TX.

mnem
Log files won't sharpen your scissors.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:46 AM
ingleburn

Its not worth the effort or the risk. Started to pull it apart and theres to much happening inside that pack.
Got the one from the 9XR so Ill just put a 2s balance plug on that and make an adaptor so I can charge it.
You think that it being such a popular radio they would have designed a better battery for it.

Bad weather and a movie with the kids stopped me testing the quad today. Got a few days off after tomorrow so if the weather behaves I might get this thing sorted out so I can get my FPV gear on it.
Hows yours going. Close to a maiden yet?
Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 AM
mnemennth

What, put a 2S balance plug on the main power of the battery connector? That should work... as long as you don't need it for other devices. Wouldn't it be easier to just solder a 2S balance plug to the existing 3S charge wires and make it like a "Y" servo extension, keeping both plugs? A little heat shrink on two wires; easy-peasy.

The battery arrangement was, I'm sure, designed to satisfy the current "State of the Art"; which is "rechargeable by just plugging the TX into a wall-wart charger overnight". Also, it's probably the cheapest SAFE (Read 1D10t-resistant) way to include a rechargeable battery with the radio. There are a lot of users who are going to just use it that way.

I've flown my bare frame a couple times with the KK2; last time on the bench I was still trying to get my resonant vibration within a reasonable level. Have hung it on the wall for now; been a bit busy with work on my car and watching the kiddles now that summer is here. And lots of wind still playing havoc with me. And it is already CRAZY hot over here; not a lot of fun being outside for ANYTHING.

mnem
*sizzle*
Old 06-22-2014, 10:28 PM
ingleburn

Good thinking 99 I never thought of that.
The 9XR battery only has a JR connector for a charge lead but piggy backing a 2s balance lead on the 3s one saves me making a charge adapter up.
Now that Ive balanced my motors as well as the props on my frame mine is pretty much vibration free.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Edmund2

550 Looking like a heli again, hope to take to the air this coming weekend. Hope that the tail twitch I had before the crash will be gone. Been expensive to repair with our exhange rate going for a ball of .hit again.

Edmund
Old 06-23-2014, 05:03 PM
ingleburn

Originally Posted by Edmund2
550 Looking like a heli again, hope to take to the air this coming weekend. Hope that the tail twitch I had before the crash will be gone. Been expensive to repair with our exhange rate going for a ball of .hit again.

Edmund
Glad to see your almost back in the air. Hope it all goes well.
Yeah so much for the days our rate was in parity with the US.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:10 PM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by ingleburn
Good thinking 99 I never thought of that.
The 9XR battery only has a JR connector for a charge lead but piggy backing a 2s balance lead on the 3s one saves me making a charge adapter up.
Now that Ive balanced my motors as well as the props on my frame mine is pretty much vibration free.
I've spent some time getting the hubs so they run true, and tape-balanced a set of props. Actually, from the feel of it, vibrations are not too bad. I've started on the APM setup; actually getting everything setup to fly. Radio configured with CPPM, b's APM in a case foam-taped to the chassis for a baseline IMU log, looks like I need to Recal the Compass to make it happy. Ghah... Toying with the idea of doing some testing with it tied to the bench if the wind and rain doesn't give me a break so I can wail on it in STAB mode.

I still haven't figured a good way to balance my motors; they have no external shaft, so not much to be able to balance on. But they sure seem pretty smooth, now that the hubs are centered. Maybe when I kill a motor I'll have an old spindle I can sacrifice to the job...

mnem
Missed it by THA-A-AT much.

Last edited by mnemennth; 06-26-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:49 AM
ingleburn

Good weather yesterday for a change. Came back with a lot of used batteries.

A bit of this and a bit of that.

http://youtu.be/i_da3snmj3o http://youtu.be/cov7Ss5D9Qk http://youtu.be/TQnjy9rSEmY http://youtu.be/gvJrYbeQJTs
Old 06-27-2014, 11:59 AM
ahamay

Sounds like your opening your wallet for a QAV250 Thanks for the vids.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:24 PM
rikybob

***????

NO notifications that you guys had been posting??? Son of a .....

@ mnem - Anyhoo my Hobbyking "Firefly 450" is really an iteration of the Neewar since it's inception. Cool huh? As a Amazon Prime member I get free shipping!
Hope all has been well with you!

@ Edmund - Glad you are nearly UP and running and hope all is well with you too!

@ Noel - We speak several times daily: Excerpt of actual greeting via IM "Hey mother fokker...." Looking forward to your Teksumo maiden!

@ Jonesy - Same as above only slightly less nice greetings daily "Hey b1tch, what's up?"!

@ All - My second weekend off out of four and hung with my wonderful wifey and dog! It's actually 100F and we have been hiding in the house since noon! Odd Wx as when it gets this hot usually it rains and that has not always been the case! While hiding I completed my PopWing 1200mm build and got my "model announce" back up and running on my Taranis!

Hope all is well in YOUR worlds!!!!

Brian

Name:	IMG_20140628_175550.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2009572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140628_175743.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2009573  
Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Guys!! Yep not 6 feet under yet! Life has given me many curve balls lately. I have not been flying helis, just planks.
the reflexes are not what they were. So I am back to the safety of planes? any ways here is a short video of my Tiger Moth with a cdi ignition instead of a glow plug.
the conversion was simple and works great. Forgive the end I did not do a proper preck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLVuvW7yz7o
Old 06-30-2014, 05:07 PM
mnemennth

B -

Yeah; I just picked up a 450V1 frame for spare arms in my last order from RCTimer that I suspect is ALSO 100% NEEWER product as well... And I think your 1200 would look a lot better with a motor & 1045 prop off one of your quads on it.

hugj -

Shhh! I'm tryin' ta sleep ova heah!

Love the sound of that Saito... do you plan to change the carb & convert to gasoline, or were you building for the 15-20% power increase? I've been looking for a slightly smaller Saito gasoline engine for my .40 size Hangar 9 Pawnee, but the correct "slightly oversize" FG-17 has evidently been discontinued for almost two years, and still no word on what they plan to replace it with. I want to turn at least a 15x6 prop to keep it flying low & slow for these old eyes, and I'm sick and tired of the mess of glow fuel.

I'm tempted to get into something 1/5-1/4 scale once I get a little better skillz; I really like the idea of running converted 26cc WeedEater engines. They burn SO much cleaner...

mnem
*Flup!*
Old 07-01-2014, 02:04 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ne-bu-SAIEG14C
ask and you shall receive! here is a gas 4 stroke perfict for the pawnee 40!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:58 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by hugj
Cool!!!

No flying for me......the wind sux....

Arthur

b
Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 AM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by hugj
I'm aware of the SG-14; it's only 150gr less than the SG-17, and I fear the 15-6 would be a bit over-propping that motor. Also, it's one of the "New Saito" motor line; which apparently has only one main difference: they cost $100 more, and exclusively through Horizon. (Anybody else who's selling them is wholesaling through Horizon).

The regular list on the SG-17 was $299; street price was typically $20 less with free shipping.

mnem
Ouchies, Mr Sqweek.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.