Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 PM
ingleburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Fiz
Hiya Brian and All,

Just thought I'd drop in and say hello.

Sorry to hear your health not good at the moment Brian, and trust nothing too dire! Get better soon old friend.

Also Ingleburn, I hope your son is back to 100% now following his kidney drama's.

I've been very busy lately and no real time to jump on here and chat. I spent a few weeks last month in Boston for work and had a great time enjoying the fine food and sunny weather, a pleasant change from the winter down in Oz. But it was all work during the week and little time on the weekends.

Still slowly building the Eflite Beast 60e (it is an involved build), and I'm going to put my first gyro in a plane in it. It's recommended for this plane so I grabbed a Spektrum AR636 thingy which you program with your smart phone, very "today technology" and works a treat apparently. It's a combo of a receiver and gyro like the AS3X technology you get in the small micros but better. I'm also going to put a Demon Cortex plane gyro in a new 76" plane - should be good, its German technology and gets rave reviews from everyone, but not cheap - had to sell a plane to fund it.

I'm slowly moving into a MUCH smaller number of high quality planes that are 60 to 80 inches wingspan. I'm funding these buy selling lots and lots of my smaller stuff that helped me get to where I am. I think I may have sold in the vacinity of 15 planes over the last 6 months and that sure helps keep the hobby budget under control. These bigger ones are so much more stable, and much more precise and so much easier to see the whole time and just so much more engaging, but they do come with a higher pucker factor, thats for sure, when you have a dumb thumb moment you nearly crap yourself during the recovery stage, luckily to date no crashes on these big'ens.

Any how, have fun doing whatever you are all doing in RC land,

Best

Phil
Hi Phil, thanks for dropping in.
Seems like the thread is taking a break from quads and turning to planks for a bit so make sure you drop in more often and share some vids.
Blake is going great guns now so thanks for asking.
Went out for a few hours yesterday and did more talking than flying but had a great day anyway.
Last flight of the day curse struck again and the sumo is no more. Did a Phil and hit a pole at full throttle. New kit on the way and be back in the air by the weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sumo crash.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	2017918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sumo crash1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	2017919  
Attached Images   

Last edited by ingleburn; 07-27-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by Flying Fiz
Hiya Brian and All,

Just thought I'd drop in and say hello.

Sorry to hear your health not good at the moment Brian, and trust nothing too dire! Get better soon old friend.

Also Ingleburn, I hope your son is back to 100% now following his kidney drama's.

I've been very busy lately and no real time to jump on here and chat. I spent a few weeks last month in Boston for work and had a great time enjoying the fine food and sunny weather, a pleasant change from the winter down in Oz. But it was all work during the week and little time on the weekends.

Still slowly building the Eflite Beast 60e (it is an involved build), and I'm going to put my first gyro in a plane in it. It's recommended for this plane so I grabbed a Spektrum AR636 thingy which you program with your smart phone, very "today technology" and works a treat apparently. It's a combo of a receiver and gyro like the AS3X technology you get in the small micros but better. I'm also going to put a Demon Cortex plane gyro in a new 76" plane - should be good, its German technology and gets rave reviews from everyone, but not cheap - had to sell a plane to fund it.

I'm slowly moving into a MUCH smaller number of high quality planes that are 60 to 80 inches wingspan. I'm funding these buy selling lots and lots of my smaller stuff that helped me get to where I am. I think I may have sold in the vacinity of 15 planes over the last 6 months and that sure helps keep the hobby budget under control. These bigger ones are so much more stable, and much more precise and so much easier to see the whole time and just so much more engaging, but they do come with a higher pucker factor, thats for sure, when you have a dumb thumb moment you nearly crap yourself during the recovery stage, luckily to date no crashes on these big'ens.

Any how, have fun doing whatever you are all doing in RC land,

Best

Phil
Hiya Phil!

Had a bit of the "Lurgy" for a bit but back to 98%!

Yah, early on you advised that much like helicopters with planes bigger is better and as such I find my Fox Glider my favorite plane to date!

My second favorite plane is a UMX ICON A5 that is perhaps the toughest plane on the planet!

Good luck on your builds and check in when you can!

b
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM
rikybob

Hiya Kidz!

So's I built and have flown the DJI "Flamewheel" knock off for some time now!

It's eventual mission being that of an FPV vehicle. I did it some months back but the Alt hold wouldn't work with a dern even having a piece of cotton over the baro sensor!

It was easy to get away from me even with a spotter and I got busy with planks.

Noel had been after me for some time do to a "mod # 3" on the baro sensor for months and months.

Finally the other day I had it in me to pull the APM flight controller, bust the case open and then take a SMALL piece of HK double back foam and leaving a piece of the foam cover ON fit it over the baro sensor. This allows the sensor to do it's job but not be affected by the wind/sun/prop wash.

Dang it worked a treat!

NO vertigo OR motion sickness!

I flew FPV for over 50 minutes today letting Eric join in on the fun!

I GET IT now!

In addition to the baro fix courtesy of Noel, young Jonesy got me to using 2 X 2200's for 4400mah rather than my single 3000mah. I get well into 10 minutes flight time!

Thank BOTH you Aussies for your tips n tricks as I finally got to REALLY utilize my Fat Shark Goggles for the 1st time since Christmas!

Now to move my viddy Tx to a better place and source a 600mw that will give me better viddy at distance than the current 250mw rig!

No video (I'd be REAL boring but heaps O fun today!

Back at it again tomorrow!

b
Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 AM
mnemennth

Default HobbyKing Heads-up!

The HobbyKing "Super Sale" is upon us!

We've already missed free shipping from the US warehouse and the KK2.1.5 for only $20; but there are still some deals to be had. For us here in the States, they have the 550GT heli kit on sale for $120; a good chance to stock up on parts if nothing else. Also, for those of us flogging the bigger packs, they have the iCharger 308DUO for $230.

For your surface vehicles, they have the latest version of the Turnigy GTX3 3-Ch radio for only $30, the Turnigy MAX80W 7A charger for only $25, and theNTM Prop Drive 35-36A 1800KV at $16 and the NTM 28-30S 800KV/Cut Shaft at $13, and their Cyclone Flybarless System at $40.

w00t!

For the next hour, they're giving back $10 in Bonus Points for every $100 spent in the US warehouse. Not bad if you can combine with other sale items like the i380 Duo which will give back $20 in bonus points and is still only $230!

Suhweet!

mnem
*This space for rent*
Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 PM
rikybob

Originally Posted by mnemennth
The HobbyKing "Super Sale" is upon us!

We've already missed free shipping from the US warehouse and the KK2.1.5 for only $20; but there are still some deals to be had. For us here in the States, they have the 550GT heli kit on sale for $120; a good chance to stock up on parts if nothing else. Also, for those of us flogging the bigger packs, they have the iCharger 308DUO for $230.

For your surface vehicles, they have the latest version of the Turnigy GTX3 3-Ch radio for only $30, the Turnigy MAX80W 7A charger for only $25, and theNTM Prop Drive 35-36A 1800KV at $16 and the NTM 28-30S 800KV/Cut Shaft at $13, and their Cyclone Flybarless System at $40.

w00t!

For the next hour, they're giving back $10 in Bonus Points for every $100 spent in the US warehouse. Not bad if you can combine with other sale items like the i380 Duo which will give back $20 in bonus points and is still only $230!

Suhweet!

mnem
*This space for rent*

Nothing tripped my wicket as I have been watching since the incept.

Do they do that on purpose?

b
Old 07-28-2014, 02:14 PM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by rikybob
Nothing tripped my wicket as I have been watching since the incept.

Do they do that on purpose?

b
I really like the looks of that Habicht glider; but I'm not going to ever fly a true glider, so it would just become wall art. I have plenty of that. Either of those motors would be nice and a great deal, but I don't have a plane or quad the right size. I have the Thunder Quad 80W charger, and my biggest packs are 4000mAH, so while I recognize the deal on that 1300W charger, I really don't have a need for it.

Sounds to me like we're both going through the same "already got it ennui " syndrome with HK that I've had with Harbor Freight for a couple years or so now... they keep sending me eMails with awesome sale prices on good stuff (well, as good as HF gets) but... everything they sell that I'd be willing to settle for their level of quality on, I already own. Often, in multiples.

I call it "Too much of an okay to good thing".

Looks like I'm going to be sending the Taranis back to Aloft for store credit; Wayne says they'll have the PLUS in a month, and according to the beta testers, it resolves all the LCD complaints folks have had up to now. Still no news on an upgrade option for current Taranis owners. I can't say enough for the service I've gotten from Aloft; truly First Class all the way.

Guess I'll just have to "suffer" with my 9XR Pro for a while yet.

Keep it in your sneaker!

mnem
Pants are highly overrated.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:26 PM
rikybob

I really like the looks of that Habicht glider; but I'm not going to ever fly a true glider, so it would just become wall art. I have plenty of that. Either of those motors would be nice and a great deal, but I don't have a plane or quad the right size. I have the Thunder Quad 80W charger, and my biggest packs are 4000mAH, so while I recognize the deal on that 1300W charger, I really don't have a need for it.

Sounds to me like we're both going through the same "already got it ennui " syndrome with HK that I've had with Harbor Freight for a couple years or so now... they keep sending me eMails with awesome sale prices on good stuff (well, as good as HF gets) but... everything they sell that I'd be willing to settle for their level of quality on, I already own. Often, in multiples.

I call it "Too much of an okay to good thing".

Looks like I'm going to be sending the Taranis back to Aloft for store credit; Wayne says they'll have the PLUS in a month, and according to the beta testers, it resolves all the LCD complaints folks have had up to now. Still no news on an upgrade option for current Taranis owners. I can't say enough for the service I've gotten from Aloft; truly First Class all the way.

Guess I'll just have to "suffer" with my 9XR Pro for a while yet.

Keep it in your sneaker!

mnem
Pants are highly overrated.

Hiya mnem,

Yah, an Immersion RC 600mw FS compatable Vx with 20 bux off would be good or even the spiro net antenna's.

Yeppers I just saw your failed attempt at emulating Dale Carnegie over on the Taranis thread.

Did you call that exercise "upsetting the fanbois"?

I was pleased to see folks come to your rescue. Interesting dynamics.

The Taranis is a lovely machine but it certainly has it's flaws and as you know with Apple pukes they don't like a mirror held up to them.

Great save though and glad you integrated into polite society!

I'll look forward to the Taranis plus and your observations.

For now I'm satisfied as I don't know from nuthin'. My Taranis screen is literally a step up from my crappy little Spektrum DX7 screen!

As for Aloft Hobbies, Wayne is AMAZING isn't he!

I hope the timeline is good for the new Tx as I'm jazzed to see it!

All the best!

b

Last edited by rikybob; 07-28-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Kozzy_98

Just having a look at HK's super sale.

Is the Turnigy Cyclone FBL unit a good deal for $40? I am a bit sceptical as I haven't heard any information about it.
Or just cough up my money to that spartan vortex vx1 which is a freakin expensive bad boy.

Helis are still on the back foot as far as priority is concerned. I'll prolly place an order for a few much needed parts soon anyway.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by Kozzy_98
Just having a look at HK's super sale.

Is the Turnigy Cyclone FBL unit a good deal for $40? I am a bit sceptical as I haven't heard any information about it.
Or just cough up my money to that spartan vortex vx1 which is a freakin expensive bad boy.

Helis are still on the back foot as far as priority is concerned. I'll prolly place an order for a few much needed parts soon anyway.

Hiya Koz!

Never heard of 'em til I saw it there.

Hope all is well in YOUR world!

b
Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM
mnemennth

Kozz -

Same here; I was looking at that $40 Cyclone FBL, but haven't seen anybody review it, good or bad. I'm pretty sure it's not a repackaged FUBAR, so no idea if it's worth 2 sawbucks or even worth the powder to blow it to he11. This is the only hit I got aside from the catalog listing itself: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2207706

Apparently, it was just released this month and they think it may be an Ikon clone. At the price of the Spartan, I'd scour eBay and the RCG classifieds for a used FUBAR or V-Bar V1; Brian can attest that the FUBAR is totally hardcore, so the original can only be better .

mnem
Hey, I'm contributing!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM
rikybob

...and it starts again.....Rotten Ingleburn!

Push HERE!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM
mnemennth

Interesting how sick minds think alike, buddy...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=18399

That frame is all over eBay; I still like the silver one better. My HDX450 Heli modded with Torque-tube is made out of that stuff... it looks awesome, and it's so rigid, you can actually fly it with only one of the frame sides installed! I might get the cheapo fiberglass one for $24 though; be a good place to put the leftover ZMR1804s off my HK235 embedded ESC frame.

You'll need to balance your props to death on these, dude. And spend the money on good name brand motors. The cheapies shake these tiny frames like crazy and there's no room for forgiveness; the enemy is vibration and you'll need to fight it hand-to-hand. Since they're so small and rigid, the frames are like a tuning fork; you can watch a harmonic travel from one end of the frame to the other if you hover it up close. As it passes through the center you can see it shaking the FC like a rag doll. Freaky phenomenon, that.

Oh, and another lesson learned from hard experience... first thing, before you screw one piece together; take an emery board and lightly radius the sharp corners off all the outside edges. I recommend wearing cheap cotton work gloves while you're at it to prevent cuts and slivers in your fingers. These pieces are CNC cut and the edges are like razor blades!

Have fun with your teeny beastie!!!

mnem

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2020017  

Last edited by mnemennth; 08-04-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM
rikybob

Interesting how sick minds think alike, buddy...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=18399

That frame is all over eBay; I still like the silver one better. My HDX450 Heli modded with Torque-tube is made out of that stuff... it looks awesome, and it's so rigid, you can actually fly it with only one of the frame sides installed! I might get the cheapo fiberglass one for $24 though; be a good place to put the leftover ZMR1804s off my HK235 embedded ESC frame.

You'll need to balance your props to death on these, dude. And spend the money on good name brand motors. The cheapies shake these tiny frames like crazy and there's no room for forgiveness; the enemy is vibration and you'll need to fight it hand-to-hand. Since they're so small and rigid, the frames are like a tuning fork; you can watch a harmonic travel from one end of the frame to the other if you hover it up close. As it passes through the center you can see it shaking the FC like a rag doll. Freaky phenomenon, that.

Oh, and another lesson learned from hard experience... first thing, before you screw one piece together; take an emery board and lightly radius the sharp corners off all the outside edges. I recommend wearing cheap cotton work gloves while you're at it to prevent cuts and slivers in your fingers. These pieces are CNC cut and the edges are like razor blades!

Have fun with your teeny beastie!!!

mnem
Ewwww SILVER! Man that IS nice!

Good advice as always re: vibration and de burring the CF!!

THIS kit of motor/props/esc have been recommended. Whaddaya think?

I'm going slow to stay off wifeys radar!

What kind of Lipos you using?

All the best!

b

Last edited by rikybob; 08-04-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 PM
mnemennth

I was flying the GemFan 5030 3-blades on my 235s with the ZMR1804s. I was running 2S 1000 to 1800 Zippy packs, and experimenting with 5030 2-blades on Turnigy 3S-1000s. Remember that these were strictly Acro quads; so weight was the enemy. Mine carried my Mobius very well, but you could definitely tell the difference with & without.

Those look like some nice motors & props; in fact, I think they're RCT Branded Emax MT-1806es;

I was shopping them for my Armattan 258 build when I detoured down the APM/FPV Spider path. The description says the motors are dynamically balanced and those CF props look to have a nice, symmetrical cross-section so probably will be very closely matched CW vs CCW. They would kick butt on my 235. I think you'll probably need more on your FPV 250, unless all you're doing is carrying a Mobius.

If you're actually going to be carrying an FPV camera with the big VTX and armored 5.8Cloverleaf, AND a recording camera, I think you might be better off looking at something like the GEMFAN 5030 3-Bladesor maybe some more aggressive 2-blade props and a 30C+ 3S/1300-1800 pack. You should even be able to turn the HiModel 5045 3-Blades on 3S; they're are a lot better balanced than the GemFans anyways.

HiModel also has some good 5030 CF props in the same profile as the Gemfans:

If you can shoehorn a 6" prop on this beast (you DEFINITELY could if you invert it), then I'd say forget the 18mm motors altogether and get into something like these SunnySky 2208-2600s:

They're very highly rated and will turn 6045 3 blades without breaking a sweat: Now we're talking around 600-800 grams thrust each at somewhere in the neighborhood of 16-22A; so would need to bump up to a 30C+ 3S/2200 (Like you don't have any of THOSE) but you're ALSO now talking FPV and GoPro with a gimbal, no sweat IMHO.

HiModel is pretty much THE place to get props for small Acro quads (which is the platform these evolved from); they also have good deals on bigger props for your planks as well. Scope out their wood props; your jaw will drop.

The caveat is that HiModel ships via China Post (Still not very cheap) or one of several various Express Shippers, plus I think a handling/materials charge. It pays to get LOTS of props all at once and pay for the Express Shipping. ie - I just priced out 4 sets of the 5045 props in every color they have; that's 24 pairs of props. $21.84 for the props, $21.06 for FEDEX Express Pak shipping. The only cheaper shipping was EMS (Who knows how long that'll wait before finally getting loaded on a boat) at $14.56 or China Post at $12.26 (Who knows if you'll EVER get it). IMHO, it's worth the extra $9 to you know, actually RECEIVE your package. And then there's the difference of 4-6 days vs 15-60 days.

What do you plan to use for a FC? APM or Naze 32?

[EDIT]

Oh smeg! The SunnySky 2204-2300KV!! How could I forget they're actually out now! I think they're a recommended motor for the original QAV250; still half the price of those shiny Luminiers. This would probably be my hands-down choice if you don't want to experiment with 6" props; definitely gonna give you kickin' thrust with the 5045s above.

Also, I have yet to try the HQ CF-filled props; they were next on my to-do list. They're VERY highly rated right now. yay! More choices!!!

[/EDIT]

Okay; time to read the kiddles a bedtime story,

mnem
w00t!

Name:	7695.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	2020085   Click image for larger version

Name:	8797.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2020086   Click image for larger version

Name:	8796.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2020087   Click image for larger version

Name:	8795.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2020088   Click image for larger version

Name:	10324.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	2020089   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_3.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2020090   Click image for larger version

Name:	8799.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2020108   Click image for larger version

Name:	8798.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	2020109  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8800.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	2020110   Click image for larger version

Name:	10267.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2020111   Click image for larger version

Name:	2204-2_1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	2020126  
Attached Images  

Last edited by mnemennth; 08-04-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:31 AM
ingleburn

...and it starts again.....Rotten Ingleburn!

Push HERE!
Hehehe finally got one back on you.
When mine gets here Im thinking of using these with these and these. Got a Naze32 sitting here waiting to go on it as well.
The QAV250 comes back in stock here tomorrow so I may yet spring for one and bypass the chinese clone. Not sure yet.
Remaidened the Tek Sumo today as well as had a few FPV flights with the quad. What a blast and cant wait to try it with a 250.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJiskBM_k34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GSXyTFGrUw

Last edited by ingleburn; 08-05-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 AM
mnemennth

Wello, looks like you're going to need to go to HiModel for your props too, buckaroo; HK is out of their CF props. Well, actually... looks like they're all over eBay too, just like the cheap FPV 250 frames. I still think you're going to need more than those 5030 dual-blades unless all you wanna carry is a Mobius; like I said, I was using them on my 235s. Great for a 200-300 gram bird; not so hot for 500-600 grams.

These little guys spin at 20-30K RPM, be prepared for it to sound like a swarm of pissed-0ff mosquitoes. It also means that balancing EVERYTHING to the weight of a gnat's eyelash is critical. I have my misgivings about those cheap CF props in that regard; I'm not certain they'll balance worth a steaming heap of dingoes' kidneys.

The HiModel twin & triples I link to above are a known superior product. IMHO. YMMV. DQMOT. ZOMG-W-T-F-BBQSAUCE. Navy Ants.

The shiny silver one is on its way to my house even as we speak.

[EDIT]

DANG! I just checked out my eBay vendor's "Other Listings" and look what I found for $138 shipped...

I realize it's just the cheap Suppo 2208 motors; but 18 months ago, that was the only half-decent motor we had in the 250mm size range. He also has the CF one in a similar ARF and both in RTF AND FULLY LOADED packages. All with free ePacket (I've told y'all about ePacket before, I think) shipping.

If I didn't already have the RCX 1804s lying around, I'd be all over one o' dem.

[/EDIT]

mnem
DILLIGAF?

Name:	6108-1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	2020334  

Last edited by mnemennth; 08-05-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM
rikybob

Hiya kidz!

Had a blast flying the last two days!

I put my big boy pants on and fly the BIG ICON A5 masterfully!

In light of that I'm flying the big plane I"m "re-maidening" the BIG T-28!

Noel - Pejorative and mean spirited comments on your YT channel!

Mnem- REALLY cool looking combo but mine is going to be an FPV rig! You find some cool *** stuff though!

Here is a highlight of today's folly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC0e5K00-QQ
Old 08-05-2014, 05:12 PM
mnemennth

Hiya kidz!

(SNIP)

Mnem- REALLY cool looking combo but mine is going to be an FPV rig! You find some cool *** stuff though!
Huh?!? Every dam**d thing in both my posts is aimed at the FPV 250. W-T-F-BBQSAUCE?!?

mnem
Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 PM
rikybob

Huh?!? Every dam**d thing in both my posts is aimed at the FPV 250. W-T-F-BBQSAUCE?!?

mnem

Find me a 2200kv combo!

b
Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 PM
mnemennth

Find me a 2200kv combo!

b
I couldn't find anything in a combo that's gonna be a proper MicroQuad motor. That's why I recommended the SunnySky 2204-2300s tooya! A MUCH better fit on an FPV rig than those 1806es you were looking at. You can get them from Paul at WiteSpy along with the HQ 5030 & 5040 props, or you can get them from HiModel and try out an assortment of their 2 & 3-blade 5030 & 5045 props and they'll probably get here 2 weeks faster.

I can personally recommend the HiModel 2 & 3 blade props to be superior in every way to the Gemfans; they are a VERY good, cheap, well-balanced prop. Right now, the HQ 5030 & 5040 twins are also getting good press, enough so that Paul has started carrying them. But I have not tried them, so I cannot recommend them personally. When you're dealing with the speeds these tiny motors run at, a rigid CF prop is not ALWAYS your best choice. Much more important is to get a prop with consistent molding and a symmetrical, properly feathered edge. I have my misgivings about both that and the overall QC of the CF props you linked to, just looking at a photo on the InTardNet.

I know it's painful to spend $90 just on motors for a tiny little $30 quad you can lose in a duffel bag; but believe me, you'll spend a lot less getting the right ones the first time. Those 1806es are about half the motor the SunnySkys are. There's a reason they have 'em on sale; it's because everybody wants the SunnySkys and RCT doesn't carry 'em.

Click on all the linkys in my posts; there are OODLES (everything in blue is a linky). I wanted you to have benefit of as much of my hard won experience as possible. See what I'm talking about. Just eyeballing that frame, I'm gonna say about 80% sure it'll handle a 6" prop right side up; now you're right in the middle of the 2204's power range with a 6030 or 6040 prop. With the 5030s and 5040s, it's gonna be loafing; running nice & cool & efficient. Either way, exactly what you want for a FPV rig and the 2204s can happily work with either.

I'm ONLY gonna use the RCX 1804-2400s because I ALREADY HAVE 'em, and I'm just gonna be carrying a Mobius. I KNOW from experience that the little 18mm stators on these heat soak terribly; the 22mm stators are much more forgiving in that respect.

If I had to BUY motors for this frame, it would be the SunnySkys in a heartbeat; even though I'd have to save up for 'em. Maybe THAT should tell you something; I would spend the money for these motors.

[EDIT]

Damn. After looking several times last night and finding squat, tonight I stumbled across a thread for this frame on RCG. Several users on there are flying with the RCX 1806-2400, which I suspect is right there toe-to-toe with the EMax 1806/2300s you're looking at; some of them using 6030 props on it, just like I suggested doing with the SunnySkys.

I still think the SunnySkys are worth the price; there's a reason they're sold out everywhere. But at $95 with ESCs and CF props, those EMax are looking a bit more tempting now... although there are some complaints about bad quality bearings, despite RCT's claims of NSK quality.

If they can pull a 6030 at 3S they should be enough, even for a fully-loaded FPV rig.

I can't argue with you letting your wallet muscles decide on this one; I still like the SunnySkys better, and my experience still says those 1806es are gonna be working right at the ragged edge... But with ESCs and props, you're looking at about $50 more for the SunnySkys on account of having to get more expensive 18-20A ESCs on top of the props.

I dunno... I just haven't yet been really pleased with ANY motors I've bought from RCT. Maybe that's because I buy the cheap ones; but you know, these are only a $12 motor too.

*Wibble*

Naaah. The SunnySkys ARE a better motor. Both this motor and the brand as a whole have rave reviews almost universally. I think you'll be more than $50 happier with them, and I'm going to stand by my earlier recommendation. I would spend the money for these motors.

That's muh story and Ah'm stickin' teww itt.

[/EDIT]

mnem
FWOOOM!

Last edited by mnemennth; 08-05-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:25 PM
rikybob

mnem,

Thanx for the research as always!

I'll go through you post and figger out the best route to go.

So I'm guessin' "Sunnyskies" then? (I know, STOP)

JUst getting back from flyin' and will peruse your well though out article!

I'll just say it that I appreciate your work. You got me onto the DJI Flamewheel knock off, the soldering station and inumerable other goodies!

So thanx!!!

All the best!

b
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 PM
mnemennth

Hey I was wanting to know for myself, too; that's why I researched it so carefully.

It's my attitude that if someone asks me something and I don't know for sure, the correct response is "Let's find out." not a dumb look. This happens to be an area I have a more than fair bit of experience in, but new stuff has come out since I was into it heavy. I was actually waiting for those 2204s to come out; they had been announced like a couple months before I bought into the Spider FPV.

I'll tell you... the APM/ArduPilot ecology is something I'd NEVER want to get into with no prior quad experience; I'm smarter than the average bear, and it's STILL been a pretty steep learning curve. I'm glad I paid my dues in the mini/micro quad arena first, learning how a quad THINKS and WORKS before building one that thinks for itself.

Hey, do me a favor buddy. When you get yours, get me an accurate weight of the complete bare kit. I wanna know what the difference is between the G10 and the CF. The pieces on these are so short I don't believe we'll see any appreciable difference in the rigidity of the frame; I think weight is gonna be the only real potential concern.

mnem
Yes, Virginia. The SunySkies.

Last edited by mnemennth; 08-06-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:46 PM
ingleburn

Another motor to add to the list of maybes. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...300KV_24g.html

The QAV250 just came back in stock locally. What to do what to do
Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by ingleburn
Another motor to add to the list of maybes. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...300KV_24g.html

The QAV250 just came back in stock locally. What to do what to do
If they're balanced worth a bunk those might be a nice, cheap way to use the flat plate mount CF props like the Luminier motors.

[EDIT] I just found the MFR webpage for these; actually, they're pretty impressive quality for the price.

However, I still feel the same way about these as I do the other 18mm motors we've been looking at; we'll be running them right at the ragged edge of their capacity on these heavy frames.

Specifications:
KV................................................ .................................................. ............2300
Configu ration............................................ ........................................NP
Stator Diameter.......................................... ..........................................23mm
Stator Length............................................ ..............................................18.5 mm
Shaft Diameter.......................................... .............................................2.0mm
Motor Dimensions(Dia.*Len).............................. .................Φ23×18.5mm
Weight (g)............................................... .................................................. ..18g
No.of Cells(Lipo)....................................... ..............................................2-3S
Max Continuous current(A)........................................ ....................7.6A
Max Continuous Power(W).......................................... .................84.4W
Internal resistance........................................ ......................................Ω

[/EDIT]

Bruce just posted a review of the C250 quad frame and the RCT Motor/ESC kit you were looking at, b:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xpu0nshqjI0
And he's also doing some comparison with the Blackout and the new QAV250V2 you're looking at, Noel. He promises to have some flight comparison between them later. One thing I like is that the C250 is actually a 250mm frame; the other two are 235mm class. Something I disovered is that these are not exactly knock-offs; they are different Chinese manufacturing houses renderings of a Common-License design found on the internet; probably the reason they ARE an actual 250mm frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUahqHsTaADV8MMmj2D5i1Vw&v=S6aepnLJceQ&feature=player_detailpage Here's a second one in which he grouses about the motor slots; Bruce clearly doesn't realize that these are drilled to match certain families of popular motors; some of which have an asymmetrical bolt pattern. His comments on QC and how the damaged bits happen, however are dead-on; I know from working in the electronics industry.

The reason for there being some that are really bad is that instead of being entirely CNC machined, to save money on some of the smaller holes, the plates are stacked up with bolts to hold them in line, then drilled on a drill press. The ones on the bottom of the stack have nothing supporting the edges of the hole (because the bolts hold them up off the deck of the drill press) and they splinter out as the drill passes through. I've seen this EXACT phenomenon in PCB manufacturing & revision; though we would have discarded the ones which were that atrociously mangled.

Of course, he spends a lot of time telling you why you should spend the money on the name brand gear.

[EDIT]

Oh and here's his review of the cheap-cheap Quanum FPV Goggles you're looking at, Noel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXK9Iq1Gjo8&list=UUahqHsTaADV8MMmj2D5i1Vw&feature=player_detailpage
[/EDIT]

mnem
More cowbell.

Name:	2014227155255333.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2020799   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014227155314361.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	2020800   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014227155247356.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	2020801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DYS BE1806-13.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2020802  

Last edited by mnemennth; 08-07-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 PM
ingleburn

Thanks for the specs. For $10 each worth a try and if they dont cope then no great loss. Ill get the Sunnyskys. Decided to try a cheap build first in case I lose interest.
That being said my cart from HK still totaled nearly $250
My frame arrived yesterday and its a good one. The Nanotechs will be a squeeze to get inside the frame but will fit.
Got the goggles weeks ago and compared to the Fatshark goggles there not that good. Might have to try another lens in it in case I put the dud one in.

Its going to have a twin as Brian has ordered almost the same stuff. Might have the jump on him as he used Swiss post and I sprung for express.
Im sure he did it on purpose so he can let me be the pioneer. It will be interesting to see how they go seeing mine will have the Naze32 and his the KK

Name:	Order.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	2020921  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.