Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Old 12-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deleted double post - I blame the storm.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-06-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by Rob2160
That sure is a pretty place to fly Brian, I didn't see that tree either...

Thought you might like this one.

Definitely an "Independence Day" reaction when I looked out the window..

Listen for the screams in the street before the second thunderclap - I love storms but this would have been terrifying to those that don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccnTbLFMSvc

Hiya Rob!

I'm not a "one upper" but that's what Florida looks like April to October!

Ominous isn't it?

As far as a nice place to fly, it's literally my neighbors back yard. I could walk there (Noel busts my ballz for not doing so) but I drive.

That is one of my lifes regrets that I didn't buy a house on the lake but at the time I couldn't rub two nickles together!

All the best!!

b
Old 12-11-2014, 09:01 PM
mnemennth

Heya b!

I'm still kickin'; still floggin' my tiny quads. Yer new bird will, most likely, be using the same powertrain as my Dynam Peaks, and the Dynam Devil, and the Dynam Waco, and so on, and so forth... see a pattern here?

M3720A-KV650 Motor, 40A or 50A Detrum or HobbyWing ESC, 13x6 Thin Electric Prop. I can confirm that a 14 x 6 APC is a nice bolt-on and gives a little slower take-off & landing. One thing you DO want to be very careful of... the collet-type prop-hub on these is a skeevy POS that relies on a honeycombed plastic backplate for the spinner. This compresses under use and the collet loses grip, allowing the entire prop and hub to come loose in flight. (There are several confirmed cases on the Devil thread, IIRC).

Do yourself a favor and replace the entire thing with a good 2 1/4" spinner and hub. Great Planes has a nice black nylon one with aluminum backing plate for about $7 (Part # GPMQ4767) that looks like it belongs on my Peaks. Others have been lucky and been able to re-use their prop adapter with the new spinner; I found that mine was wobbly and just got one from Tower when I ordered my Spinner. IIRC, it was a 5mm x 8mm prop adapter but you'll want to confirm that before ordering.

Also, the Dynams in this size range are notorious for having the cheapest possible servos... cheaper even than the HXT900!!! ( I dunno how that's possible, but there ya go) and many pilots are replacing them prior to maiden with the HXT900s or similar Metal Gear servos. The elevator servo on mine stripped out on the bench while testing; it never got in the air.

Good luck Boo-Boo!

mnem
*Spinny*

Last edited by mnemennth; 12-11-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 PM
ahamay

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Yer new bird will, most likely, be using the same powertrain as my Dynam Peaks, and the Dynam Devil, and the Dynam Waco, and so on, and so forth... see a pattern here?
Hope it lands better than the other one

Anyways... whilst all you have been burning stuff down with your paraboards i've been building this ->

Maiden is today/tomorrow. Spooled it up on the bench...... sounds like a bee hive
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141211_234921.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2054307  
Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 AM
rikybob

Heya b!

I'm still kickin'; still floggin' my tiny quads. Yer new bird will, most likely, be using the same powertrain as my Dynam Peaks, and the Dynam Devil, and the Dynam Waco, and so on, and so forth... see a pattern here?

M3720A-KV650 Motor, 40A or 50A Detrum or HobbyWing ESC, 13x6 Thin Electric Prop. I can confirm that a 14 x 6 APC is a nice bolt-on and gives a little slower take-off & landing. One thing you DO want to be very careful of... the collet-type prop-hub on these is a skeevy POS that relies on a honeycombed plastic backplate for the spinner. This compresses under use and the collet loses grip, allowing the entire prop and hub to come loose in flight. (There are several confirmed cases on the Devil thread, IIRC).

Do yourself a favor and replace the entire thing with a good 2 1/4" spinner and hub. Great Planes has a nice black nylon one with aluminum backing plate for about $7 (Part # GPMQ4767) that looks like it belongs on my Peaks. Others have been lucky and been able to re-use their prop adapter with the new spinner; I found that mine was wobbly and just got one from Tower when I ordered my Spinner. IIRC, it was a 5mm x 8mm prop adapter but you'll want to confirm that before ordering.

Also, the Dynams in this size range are notorious for having the cheapest possible servos... cheaper even than the HXT900!!! ( I dunno how that's possible, but there ya go) and many pilots are replacing them prior to maiden with the HXT900s or similar Metal Gear servos. The elevator servo on mine stripped out on the bench while testing; it never got in the air.

Good luck Boo-Boo!

mnem
*Spinny*
BM3715A-KV1050 Brushless Outrunner Motor with a Dynam 10x6 prop and a Detrum 40amp ESC.. It IS the collet-type adapter. It's the same adapter that's on my little quad.

Thanks for the advice on swapping out to a spinner hub as I'll but the white one (
GPMQ4765) on my list on the next trip to my LHS!

Re: Servos, I'll have a look and if they are crappy I'll replace them as well.

The box is at the house and it's HUGE! I enjoy the larger models immensely!

Good luck with your quads!

b

Name:	seawind.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	2054359  
Old 12-13-2014, 12:45 AM
mnemennth

Oh yeah; that looks like it'd be fun to take down to Port Lavaca. There's this beach down there where you're inside a quay; it's such a gentle slope of soft sand that you can walk out a hundred yards and still keep your shorts dry.

With that 1050KV, prolly not a good idea to bump up to a 14" prop. LOL. Maybe a 10-11" Slow-Fly though... Yeah, my son took over the box they shipped my Peaks in for a "Wubb Club Big Box O' Fun" .

Jonesey, I just got a little package of joy myself... 2 full CF frames, VERY much like the one you just built, delivered for $32. See about 'em on my blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=428008

Dunno what I'm gonna build 'em with; I'm already stalled on another build for lack of funds due to Dead PT Cruiser Syndrome. Ah well... it doesn't cost nuthin' to dry-fit the stuff I do have umpty-gazillion times until I like the looks of it.

mnem
Peace, love and axle grease!
Old 12-13-2014, 02:51 AM
rikybob

Oh yeah; that looks like it'd be fun to take down to Port Lavaca. There's this beach down there where you're inside a quay; it's such a gentle slope of soft sand that you can walk out a hundred yards and still keep your shorts dry.

With that 1050KV, prolly not a good idea to bump up to a 14" prop. LOL. Maybe a 10-11" Slow-Fly though... Yeah, my son took over the box they shipped my Peaks in for a "Wubb Club Big Box O' Fun" .

Jonesey, I just got a little package of joy myself... 2 full CF frames, VERY much like the one you just built, delivered for $32. See about 'em on my blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=428008

Dunno what I'm gonna build 'em with; I'm already stalled on another build for lack of funds due to Dead PT Cruiser Syndrome. Ah well... it doesn't cost nuthin' to dry-fit the stuff I do have umpty-gazillion times until I like the looks of it.

mnem
Peace, love and axle grease!

Yah, I'm blessed on a myriad of levels to include the next best thing to living ON a lake, is leaving across the street from a lake!

Yah, I have 2/3 of what I need to make a #2 quad but my need to NOT let things sit prevents.

I tend to use monies to support existing models (I've bought a jillion T-28 parts) and keep other models up to par.

Additionally I'm pushing forward to take the plane below and fit it with FPV gear and as I've elucidated before, trying to figure out the argument for and against doing a simple FPV buitl on the ICON A5 or disassemble the DJI Flamewheel and APM the thing!

God luck with your worlds toughest PT Cruiser!

b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2gd...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-13-2014, 10:43 AM
mnemennth

Okay... I stayed up WAAAAY too late last night...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post30187153

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2303442

Brian -

Sorry; I didn't make myself clear. I found on mine that the cheap plastic backplate on the included spinner compressed in use; allowing the collet to loosen up. This has been reported as the cause of several dead-stick landings caused by the prop and all falling off mid-flight.

I'm still using a collet-style prop adapter; I don't trust the set-screw type to deliver 600-800W of peak power without stripping. I had to replace mine because it was cheaply made and didn't run true, not because I have any kind of distrust of the collet-style prop holders. You may find yours DOES run true and you can re-use it; but I would DEFINITELY get into a spinner with a metal backing plate rather than the plastic one like mine had.

I didn't know you had a 10" prop on yours; a 2 1/4" spinner is gonna look silly on it. A smaller one would be better.

Great... now it's my fault you need to build the plane that spinner goes on.

mnem
*Lunch Break*

Last edited by mnemennth; 12-19-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:43 AM
rikybob

Okay... I stayed up WAAAAY too late last night...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post30187153

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2303442

Brian -

Sorry; I didn't make myself clear. I found on mine that the cheap plastic backplate on the included spinner compressed in use; allowing the collet to loosen up. This has been reported as the cause of several dead-stick landings caused by the prop and all falling off mid-flight.

I'm still using a collet-style prop adapter; I don't trust the set-screw type to deliver 600-800W of peak power without stripping. I had to replace mine because it was cheaply made and didn't run true, not because I have any kind of distrust of the collet-style prop holders. You may find yours DOES run true and you can re-use it; but I would DEFINITELY get into a spinner with a metal backing plate rather than the plastic one like mine had.

I didn't know you had a 10" prop on yours; a 2 1/4" spinner is gonna look silly on it. A smaller one would be better.

Great... now it's my fault you need to build the plane that spinner goes on.

mnem
*Lunch Break*

Mnem - Took delivery from Santa yesterday of the aforementioned and sure enough, a plastic back plate. I'll maiden with same (mebbe) but replace soon there after!

ALL - I hope all had a wonderful holiday as did I!!!

All the best!

b

PS I was able to cancel my order from Amazon re: spinner!
Old 12-27-2014, 11:57 PM
mnemennth

If it still runs true, you should be able to fly with just the prop adapter; the spinner is primarily cosmetic, it isn't necessary.

I'm having a fine Christmas season; the kids are all happy, I'm well-fed and we're just winding down the weekend. We were busy last week with Christmas doings, and this weekend the weather has been foul... so I haven't made any progress on the car for over a week. Hoping for a break in the weather Sunday; we'll see.

mnem
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good flight!
Old 12-28-2014, 04:08 AM
rikybob

Seawind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8jfdw7Wbc
Old 12-29-2014, 04:05 AM
Edmund2

Great landing Brian!!!!. Enjoy your flying. Stuck at work having approved my staff's leave so I have to do the financials this year over December.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:04 PM
mnemennth

Nice landing, b!

That thing is "bigger than it is"; the structure of the tail and the broad wings make it look larger in the air than it is in your hands. It looks like you're flying a door! LOL

Hope you have fun with the Dart. I thought about it before I bought my RCX, but couldn't get over how ugly it is; blamed thing looks like a shopping cart with props on it.

If you're bored with the H250, you should come back... Brian is making up some arms for 7" props/2206-2212 motors. We'll be carrying 4S-4000s with the bleeping thing before long!

I am unashamed for my part in the whole sordid affair!

mnem
*Nuking some ESCs*
Old 12-31-2014, 05:13 PM
rikybob

Edmund - Having a BLAST flying and wish you a happy new year!

mnem - Nahhhh it's big! It displaces the air more than my ICON!

As for the Dart I am breaking down my Q450 as it has served its purpose as a feasibility test bed and worked well.

I am parting it out and will use the APM on one of my ICON A5's that is being used for FPV.

All the other parts save the frame will be used on the DART.

Yah, it's plenty ugly but I don't fly aesthetics when it comes to quads, I just FLY!

No, I'm not bored with the 250, it's a HOOT!

Happy new year!!

b
Old 01-02-2015, 03:42 PM
mnemennth

Yeah, I'm planning to revisit the Spider FPV sometime soon; I've been meaning to ever since I read about Joe's discovery that FRSky telemetry RXs play hell with GPS just like I was experiencing. I had actually suspected something of the sort; I should have chased those suspicions down myself. I've got some cheap ORX R410X DSMX receivers coming with batteries for my H250s; I'm gonna try one of them in it since I'll have 'em handy and they do 6-CH in CPPM. I may even go crazy with a gimbal and e'eythang.

Maybe it's the perspective of the Mobius; I swear the Seawind just doesn't look that big in your hands. I mean it looks huge for its wingspan in the air just like my Peaks; but the Peaks is effing huge in your hands, being a biplane and all.

mnem
*Tzzzt*

Last edited by mnemennth; 01-02-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:50 PM
ingleburn

Yeah, I'm planning to revisit the Spider FPV sometime soon; I've been meaning to ever since I read about Joe's discovery that FRSky telemetry RXs play hell with GPS just like I was experiencing. I had actually suspected something of the sort; I should have chased those suspicions down myself. I've got some cheap ORX R410X DSMX receivers coming with batteries for my H250s; I'm gonna try one of them in it since I'll have 'em handy and they do 6-CH in CPPM. I may even go crazy with a gimbal and e'eythang.

Maybe it's the perspective of the Mobius; I swear the Seawind just doesn't look that big in your hands. I mean it looks huge for its wingspan in the air just like my Peaks; but the Peaks is effing huge in your hands, being a biplane and all.

mnem
*Tzzzt*
I wrapped my X8R with 2 layers of alumunium tape and while Im sure its not perfect it works well enough.
My C and V sensor has been going haywire lately and giving false readings. Think its toast as its only rated to 40 Amps.
My charger is playing up as well Its charging the last cell in my 4c packs about .05 higher than the rest.
Time to invest in some new gear I think.
I did however install the Mobius gimbal on the quad and it needs some tweaking. To bad I dont know where to start.
Hope you all had a merry Xmas and a happy new year. 2 days of holidays left for me then back to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68oTFXp-Lok&list=UU4WToio63gExWGunxwcTiPQ
Old 01-04-2015, 04:01 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by ingleburn
I wrapped my X8R with 2 layers of alumunium tape and while Im sure its not perfect it works well enough.
My C and V sensor has been going haywire lately and giving false readings. Think its toast as its only rated to 40 Amps.
My charger is playing up as well Its charging the last cell in my 4c packs about .05 higher than the rest.
Time to invest in some new gear I think.
I did however install the Mobius gimbal on the quad and it needs some tweaking. To bad I dont know where to start.
Hope you all had a merry Xmas and a happy new year. 2 days of holidays left for me then back to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68oTFXp-Lok&list=UU4WToio63gExWGunxwcTiPQ
That gimbal is doing a good job, no roll when you yaw. I don't know if you can get a polarising filter for the Mobius but try that if you can.

It was the clincher on my Tarot Gimbal - I was 99% there but still had some jello, once I added the filter the jello disappeared.

I don't know the exact reason but something to do with it changing the shutter speed on the camera (due to less light). Whatever the reason, all jello disappeared with the filter.

Hope you had a great Xmas and New Year also.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:47 AM
rikybob

THIS one would do!

b
Old 01-04-2015, 07:22 PM
mnemennth

FRANKEN-CRUISER KICKED MY A** TODAY!!!

That is all.

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*

Last edited by mnemennth; 01-04-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 PM
ahamay

mnem
*Tzzzt*
I never had a problem with mobius, gps and frsky on my APM q450. I did have one day when it was bad weather and it took longer than normal to get a GPS lock.

Anyways... I need to get a decent soldering station and i'm looking at this unit... thoughts ?

[h=1]HAKKO - FX-888D - SOLDERING STATION, DIGITAL, 70W[/h]
http://au.element14.com/hakko/fx-888...70w/dp/2280753

Name:	Hakko-FX-888D-Digital-Soldering-Station.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2061822  
Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 PM
ingleburn

Originally Posted by ahamay
I never had a problem with mobius, gps and frsky on my APM q450. I did have one day when it was bad weather and it took longer than normal to get a GPS lock.

Anyways... I need to get a decent soldering station and i'm looking at this unit... thoughts ?

HAKKO - FX-888D - SOLDERING STATION, DIGITAL, 70W

http://au.element14.com/hakko/fx-888...70w/dp/2280753

Mnem will choke on his dinner but I use this one and it does everything I need.You just need to buy some genuine Hako tips for it. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yihua-Sol...78145a4&_uhb=1

Im sure the one you listed would be much better but Brian has taught me well
As for GPS problems, I always check here now before I fly. Sometimes it doesnt matter how good your stuff is, reception will be poor.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:16 PM
ahamay

Originally Posted by ingleburn
Mnem will choke on his dinner but I use this one and it does everything I need.You just need to buy some genuine Hako tips for it. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yihua-Sol...78145a4&_uhb=1

Im sure the one you listed would be much better but Brian has taught me well
As for GPS problems, I always check here now before I fly. Sometimes it doesnt matter how good your stuff is, reception will be poor.
Yeah... i'm willing to give that one a go..... thanks
Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 PM
mnemennth

I Have both a Weller WTCPN and an AOYUE 2702 on my bench; while I can say you'll never be disappointed in the HAKKO; most hobbyists will never need more than the Yihua; aside from the odd heavy battery end. If you can afford a little more, the same vendor has the ATTEN AT80D:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131179969769

You'll REALLY appreciate the extra 30 watts when you're trying to solder 12ga to HXT connectors or to a great big PDB that has like 8 sq inches of copper wicking the heat away, and ATTEN is a China domestic industrial brand; the AT80D is a known good model.

In other news; yesterday, I KICKED FRANKEN-CRUISER'S A**!!!

And I drove it to work today.

mnem

Name:	$(KGrHqVHJEoE-luv7YrsBP0slblTL!~~60_57.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	2062123   Click image for larger version

Name:	HappyDance.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	2062124   Click image for larger version

Name:	*****Jockey_zpsdb861ac6.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	2062125  
Attached Images  

Last edited by mnemennth; 01-07-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 PM
ingleburn

I Have both a Weller WTCPN and an AOYUE 2702 on my bench; while I can say you'll never be disappointed in the HAKKO; most hobbyists will never need more than the Yihua; aside from the odd heavy battery end. If you can afford a little more, the same vendor has the ATTEN AT80D:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131179969769

You'll REALLY appreciate the extra 30 watts when you're trying to solder 12ga to HXT connectors or to a great big PDB that has like 8 sq inches of copper wicking the heat away, and ATTEN is a China domestic industrial brand; the AT80D is a known good model.

In other news; yesterday, I KICKED FRANKEN-CRUISER'S A**!!!

And I drove it to work today.

mnem
Hmm now if I would have seen that one I would have got it for sure. Yeah mine struggles a bit with heavy wire and XT60,s but I just pump up the temp a bit.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:08 PM
rikybob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbWEr_tv9EE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_EMBjUWRi0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhv_nOOj4w

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.