Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:05 PM
consultjdm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Okay guys the last boring video, but I thought you might like seeing the logo 10 too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j2r0i4u2MM

I practiced on the simulator nose in for an hour too. I did pretty good, only about 50 crashes. I save a lot of money, LOL.

JD
Old 01-22-2007, 12:52 AM
acebusa

Nice vids Jd, That logo 10 is huge, Would not be cool to crash that!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 AM
linkadrip

JD
yea the wind can be a real Stressfull situation thats the problem i have most the time flying my helis the wind never quits blowing here in the mountains.

I dont think anyone thought you didnt own a Logo 10. That is a large heli. I didnt realize it was that big till i seen it in comparison to the the parked cars on your street. I can see why you wouldnt feel comfortable flying it there. Great videos i got scared a couple times when you were flying the 22E. Some hard landings There, but at least now i know that is not just me when i fly in the wind.

My helis do that i lift off and hover a gust comes and they shoot up into the air or sometime drop out of the sky and i thought is was just my setup. Thought i didnt have enough head speed or something still working on that i want more head speed dues to the wind i have to contend with.

Great flying
Old 01-22-2007, 11:15 AM
consultjdm

Linkadrip the head speed and carbon blades help but the wind, if gusty tends to be an uplift to the sky or a vacuum to the ground. pretty scary.

Even in a constant wind its pretty difficult in a small area because it wants to speed up with the wind and go slow into the wind and even that causes the altitude to fluctuate quite a bit.

I peer out the window many times during the day to check the wind hoping I can catch a calmer moment, LOL. I guess you do the same.

JD

Thanks for the nice comments on the videos guys.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:41 PM
shag555

Are any of you guys using Idle-UP? I'm pretty good with forward flight and hovering in all atitudes is no problem (now). I haven't messed with the IU because I figured I'd concentrate on the things I mentioned first. I should probably stick with what I'm doing and get it down pat, but what my question is, is IU used primarily for 3D flight or is there an advantage to using it now for what I'm currently doing?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
red_dwarf

Thanks for the videos JD. The 22E looks almost uncontrollable, but the Logo looks reasonably stable. This is a good illustration of how stability increases with size. A friend has bought a couple of Hirobo nitro Helis from eBay for £700. I think one is a Sceadu 50 and the other I think is a Freya 90. He's keeping the smaller as it's been upgraded but he's willing to sell me the Freya. Trouble is, it's enormous, weighs about 15lb and I've no idea where to fly it. I've flown my T-Rex in the cul-de-sac where I live until a neighbour got angry with me for landing about a foot from her car, so I don't think a Freya 90 would go down too well.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:48 PM
acebusa

I use Idle up a lot, Expecially when Im flying outside in windy conditions, or flying high altitude, I like to be able to bring the heli Down in a hurry if need be, Also if you are not in Idle up, and a gust of wind shoots the heli up, you may chop the throttle rotor Idles down, and the heli begins to fall, then you throttle up, and the heli jumps, to wind up the rotor, and you are all over the place, if your in Idle up, it stays smooth, Just much better if you ask me.
ORIGINAL: shag555

Are any of you guys using Idle-UP? I'm pretty good with forward flight and hovering in all atitudes is no problem (now). I haven't messed with the IU because I figured I'd concentrate on the things I mentioned first. I should probably stick with what I'm doing and get it down pat, but what my question is, is IU used primarily for 3D flight or is there an advantage to using it now for what I'm currently doing?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
consultjdm

Shag,

Since the throttle will be virtually on full all the time it will make it quicker, unless your using governor mode already. I use it all the time on my simulator and sometimes with my real helicopters. I like it but I have had little problems sometimes transitioning between the modes so just be careful.

JD
Old 01-22-2007, 05:45 PM
acebusa

Also a little note, if your just hovering, I wouldn't use it until your use to it, when I first started using Idle up, I was doing nose in hover, and a gust of wind took my heli to the left, no big deal usually I was only a few inches off the ground so in habbit I cut the throttle, Forgot I was in Idle up, so that actually made it go negitive pitch, and wamo! slammed it to the ground hard, broke some parts, and flopped in a circle on the ground till I gathered my self, and shut off the idle up switch, Just be careful.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
consultjdm

Red Dwarf,

Yes, the 22E was very tricky with the wind.

JD
Old 01-22-2007, 05:55 PM
consultjdm

Acebusa,

I'm not sure what your saying? Did you flop in a circle on the ground till you gathered yourself or the heli flopped in a circle on the ground, maybe both- LOL.

And Yes I think overall Idle up is better once you get used to it.

JD

ORIGINAL: acebusa

Also a little note, if your just hovering, I wouldn't use it until your use to it, when I first started using Idle up, I was doing nose in hover, and a gust of wind took my heli to the left, no big deal usually I was only a few inches off the ground so in habbit I cut the throttle, Forgot I was in Idle up, so that actually made it go negitive pitch, and wamo! slammed it to the ground hard, broke some parts, and flopped in a circle on the ground till I gathered my self, and shut off the idle up switch, Just be careful.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:18 PM
shag555

Hmm. I'm tempted to go with it. I've seen on other threads where using Idle up is smoother in wind, etc. My LHS Owner advised against it - But I think he thinks that I'll be trying rolls and loops. I also wonder if that I stick with convention, that I'll be better at the sticks for it (or maybe I'll make it worse to transition to Idle UP).
Old 01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
acebusa

Jd, my heli was doing the flips, I was too busy crying to do much else.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Warrior123

Well I am new to flying helis and after buying a cheap one and being very disapointed over all, here I am in the Trex thread. Are you finding this little heli to be tough and stable??
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 AM
Warrior123

O I forgot to mention I just bought one, cant wait for it to get here
Old 01-23-2007, 10:55 AM
acebusa

They are awesome! Good choice, just dont get cheap on the servos, and gyro, and you will love it!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
consultjdm

With the right electronics it is a wonderful helicopter. It is well made and holds together very well. If you use locktite on the metel to metel bolts, nuts and screws, and CA on the metal to plastic it will give you a lot of flights with no maintenance. It is stable to hover but very quick with the right stuff. So it is not mellow but it has very good feel. I am speaking of the SE type or upgraded 450 XL with HDE and Direct Drive linkage.

Which Trex did you get?

JD
ORIGINAL: Warrior123

Well I am new to flying helis and after buying a cheap one and being very disapointed over all, here I am in the Trex thread. Are you finding this little heli to be tough and stable??
Old 01-23-2007, 12:51 PM
shag555

I have a question for the experts here... When I'm hovering and give sudden power, the tail kicks out. I'm running a 401 and 9650, and it seems like it should be a little more locked in than that. My gain is at 80%. Does the mixing proportions need to be adjusted or is there something I've overlooked?
Old 01-23-2007, 02:31 PM
consultjdm

Shag,

Mine barley kicks out and then it returns pretty quick. But I am sorta used to correcting to the right with most helis when you apply a medium to a lot of power. But going straight up it will hold very good until very aggresive throtte input.

Is the Belt Worn? Do you have the carbon tail blades? Is your belt adjusted correctly? Does it hold straight with zero trim? Mixing should not be used in Heading Hold Mode. Which Heli and setup do you have anyway? LOl. Trex 450 XL stock? Carbon, all aluminum upgrades? HDE or CDE? Direct drive or closed loop?

Are your main shaft or tail rotor shaft bent. (a bent main shaft can cause wagging that you can't seem to fix sometimes)

JD

Old 01-23-2007, 06:17 PM
shag555

It's a stock SE, 401 with 9650 for the tail, HS65's and a JR9303. This is my first "advanced" heli, and I have a lot to learn. There's no trim necessary for the tail or the rest of the heli. That's what I love about this thing. Hands off hovering for a good 5 sec easy in the basement. This "bug" I got is really the only glitch in the system. The tail just blows out when I apply lots of power. I'll have to go through the setup for the 401 / 9303 again to see if I can rectify the problem
Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
consultjdm

This is the Servo I use - S9254

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...m?servo_id=286

It's much bigger and ugly but it is way faster than the 9650. I have been very happy

What is a 9303? It could be belt related, some kind of slipage, slow servo. And I think the carbon tail blades work better.

JD

ORIGINAL: shag555

It's a stock SE, 401 with 9650 for the tail, HS65's and a JR9303. This is my first "advanced" heli, and I have a lot to learn. There's no trim necessary for the tail or the rest of the heli. That's what I love about this thing. Hands off hovering for a good 5 sec easy in the basement. This "bug" I got is really the only glitch in the system. The tail just blows out when I apply lots of power. I'll have to go through the setup for the 401 / 9303 again to see if I can rectify the problem
Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 PM
shag555

I went through the entire tail and gyro. NADA... On a whim I bumped up the remote head speed and presto - problem solved. I feel so amature... LOL

The 9303 is the TX. Pretty awsome radio... The 9650 holds the tail well too. It's a little slower than your 9254, something like .06 to .10??? Something like that.

Anyway, I can't wait to try it outside (hopefully tomorrow). It seems rock solid now compared to what it was. I guess head speed makes complete sense too.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:28 PM
consultjdm

Makes sense to me since the tail rotor speed is tied to the head speed. Sounds good.

JD
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Warrior123

Acebusa and consultjdm,

this is what I bought. Tell me if I did good, I have done some research but nothing substitutes for experience.
450 SE V2
Align 430L Brushless Motor (3550KV)
Align 430L Brushless Motor (4050KV)
Align Lithium Battery Balance Charger RCC-4CX
Futaba 9C Super Transmitter
Extreme Power 11.1V 2200mAh 18C Li-polymer 2
Align 35A brushless ESCRCE-BL35G (Governor Mode)
Hitec Micro Servo(HS-65MG) 3
Futaba S9650 Digital Servo 1
Futaba GY401 Gyro

I got a few other upgrades to, like flight sim and training gear. Your input greatly appreciated.

Warrior123
Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 PM
acebusa

Sound great, I dont know about the charger, or that brand of battery, but sounds like good specs for the battery, everything else sounds perfect, Which motor are you going to use? I saw you listed 2. Also you will need to decide on the pinion for your motor, I think the 11t is recomended for that motor, The 3550kv will spin slower than the 4050kv, but the 3550kv will probably put you where you want to be with a 11t pinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.