Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
consultjdm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Jonnzzo,

If your not skimping get the Spektrum DX7 RX/TX.

JD
Old 03-20-2007, 04:27 PM
consultjdm

I practiced nose in for about an hour last night on my Reflex flight simulator. I did pretty good, only destroyed about 30 helicoters, LOL.

I have a harder time just holding the hover than I do flying in a circle, but once I get nose in perfect even the circles should be better. I know this sounds lame but sometimes after I switch from nose in to tail in I give stick input as if I was still nose in, oops. of course with 5 feet I can always recover but those errors at 1 foot are deadly.

JD
Old 03-20-2007, 04:27 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

You need 3 HS 65's and 1 gyro and 1 digatal servo for the tail. Fraimingham is about 45 minutes from my field, we are right off the highway in Billerica Ma. Let me know the next time you are coming down. Read this thread from the beginning, there are some links to a few sites that show videos of the installation process. The TREX SE is the best you could get, probably to advanced for a beginner but you never know. You definitely need a simulator before even trying to fly your TREX.

R/C Foolish
Old 03-20-2007, 04:30 PM
R/C Foolish

That's why you need to be able to switch without even thinking about it. I still make the same mistake you did, I've been flying mine now for about 2 months. Getting better though, wish the winds would settle down from 30 mph.

R/C Foolish
Old 03-20-2007, 04:34 PM
consultjdm

R/C Foolish,

I have a friend coming from up north a week from Sunday so I plan on practicing a bunch so I can fly nose in without looking like a newbie, LOL. and of course I will do it at 10 feet up, crashing is not allowed, LOL.

JD
ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

That's why you need to be able to switch without even thinking about it. I still make the same mistake you did, I've been flying mine now for about 2 months. Getting better though, wish the winds would settle down from 30 mph.

R/C Foolish
Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 PM
consultjdm

Radds has a free simulator and it has a flight school that teaches you to fly using your helicopter. I never did Radds School of flight because by the time I heard about it I could already fly pretty good. But it is highly recommended for beginners (AKA: newbs or newbies).

But a Simulator like Reflex ($200) is just super but you need a good computer and graphics card for it. It states its requirements on the box and it comes with a cable so you have to order the right version depending on the TX you want to use with it. I use my eclipse 7 with it which is cool because you pull out the spectrum module (the thing that lets you select your channel in a 72mhz system) and the battery lasts forever.

JD
Old 03-20-2007, 06:21 PM
devmode

So, I am waiting for my V2 from helihobby.

They have a "Send similar item" thing in their checkout that I missed.

They probably should work on the usability of that, but it is really more about the customer service. (I just noticed this after reading another complaint thread about them)

If my receipt had indicated that I was sent a different item BECAUSE of this reason, or if anyone I called had told me; I would have been in the loop and understood a little better.

So, after about 8 calls to them I was given a tracking number for the V2 that they said they shipped yesterday. I haven't been able to get the USPS tracking site to pull it up yet, but that is fairly normal - the data might not be there yet.

The real test will be tomorrow... if it doesn't show up...

I just wish they had sent me an email with my information or I had something that I could point to and say - look you said you sent it ...

PLEASE SHOW UP TOMORROW ... OR AT LEAST HAVE THE TRACKING NUMBER SHOW A VALID PACKAGE TOMORROW.

sigh
Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 PM
jonnzzo

why can't I buy just a spectrum rx7? everyone wants to sell some kind of spectrum servo's with it. also the hs65's that I need, are these hs65hb's?. thanks for all the help
Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 PM
consultjdm

Soneebee,

I measured my flybar from where it comes out of the square CNC flybar box to where the paddles start. It was 6mm. It is 8mm from the the edge of the main shaft (really to where the silver colored spacer rod in the square meets the head) to where the paddles start.

Mine look more like 11.5 inches including the paddles. My paddles are 2.25 inches long on the long edge of the paddles.

Do you think its the short flybar?

JD
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM
R/C Foolish

Because they don't sell the DX-7 without them. Before you go ordering anything you should start doing a lot of reading. You have a lot to learn, you should not just jump into R/C without knowing about transmitters, recievers, etc...

R/C Foolish
Old 03-20-2007, 08:08 PM
consultjdm

yes they are hs65hb's

Jd
Old 03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
consultjdm

Johnzzo,

If you get the DX7 you will be set for life maybe. The servo's it comes with will be useless to you on the Trex and the Battery pack that is used to power the receiver is useless to you. You will use the TX and The RX.

You need three cyclic servos - HS65HB's

And the Gy401 gyro and S9650 for the tail servo.

I am assuming your kit came with the 430L 3550KV motor and Align 35Amp ESC.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:08 PM
jonnzzo

I will do plenty of reading, and make sure I fly safe. I'm just tring to get and idea of how much $$$ I am going to spend, and get and Idea of what the best set up is for the electronic portion. I could have bought one all set up, but I want ot do it myself. I've already bought the heli, and am going to need the rest of the stuff at some point. I have read in this form, that you need some of the electronis before you can build, becuase they go on the inside. not sure if that is true or not in my case, but I want to be ready. I'm going with what you guys recommend. the dx7, the h65's and the futba 401 gyro with the 9650 digital servo.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 PM
R/C Foolish

Plan on spending close to $1000 all set up.

R/C Foolish
Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 PM
soneebee

I think those are the 190mm flybar rods.. if you get a chance get the 220mm, they are more stable and also responsive on cyclic.. I like it better on the SE.. mine is roughly like 13inches long including the flybar paddles...

ORIGINAL: consultjdm

Soneebee,

I measured my flybar from where it comes out of the square CNC flybar box to where the paddles start. It was 6mm. It is 8mm from the the edge of the main shaft (really to where the silver colored spacer rod in the square meets the head) to where the paddles start.

Mine look more like 11.5 inches including the paddles. My paddles are 2.25 inches long on the long edge of the paddles.

Do you think its the short flybar?

JD
Old 03-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Warrior123

Soneebee,

your bird looks Awesome. I noticed that you have your tail servo more centered than mine,, can you tell me about that set up?

Have any of you upgraded to the V2 tail rotor, it looks pretty nice and the stabalizer pully is only attached from one side. I will probably upgrade to it when it comes out in gray or black as I am going to do a scale model. The new one is a slightly lighter blue. Its coming on what has been deemed as the 450 SE V3. Its also refered to as the the HDX 450 SE V2, see this pic and check out the new tail section.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Warrior123

[img][/img] Hopefully the file uploaded, I feel forum retarded.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82796.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	646407  
Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Warrior123

jonzzo,

These guys will steer you in the right direction. They have been a huge help to me. I bought a cheap heli and found out the hard way just spend the money on the best you can afford the first time and you will be happier. I use the same set up that was recomended to you except I use the Futabab 9c controller. I wish I would have consulted these guys first, I would have probably went with the DX7, but my set up is working great. I had never flown r/c before, and I strongly recommeded getting the training gear. The Trex is actually very tough, just take it slow little baby steps, if something gets broken, order 2 replacements and before you know it, its hard to keep you grounded.

I bought mine ready to fly, for the most part it was well built, but I wish now I would have built it myself. I tore it all apart and re-spect it myself and found allot of little mistakes. So thanks to the help from this forum it is rock steady now, and so much more controlable than that other thing I bought.

Good luck, Warrior
Old 03-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Warrior123

Hey,

I got another question, I have the trex 450 se v2 with the Futaba 9c and I need a servo that is ready to plug and go for the retracts on my scale bell 222 fuselage, do you know what will fit in there? I am gonna need some help on this one.

Warrior
Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 AM
soneebee

Warrior123,

Thanks....the rudder servo mounts i think are the longer ones.. unlike the blue ones from Align.. I found this mounts to be better in getting the best position for the HS81 servo.. another thing I like on the servo holder is the 4 holes were you can bolt on a 9650 servo with. hold the servo really well....

JD,

What the difference of the bump resistant skids from align from there original one.. are they hard? or are they softer.. The gorilla skids that I am using is really good.. almost unbrakeable.. soft on landings but still hold the heli well.. you can flex the skids to almost strait but it just returns to its original form.. really good skids.. I think RChover.com has it in stock again..

I like it a lot because you can use short ones in front and longer ones at the back.. heli is kinda like a gorilla making the tail lift up and save it from ground hits.....

Old 03-21-2007, 10:51 AM
consultjdm

Soneebee,

The bump resistant landing gear are probably made of the same material as the gorilla landing gear but they have a nice color coating.

I'm not sure if its a coating or in the rubbery plastic really.

Yes you could bend it almost straight I guess (with a lot of force) and yes it returns to its original shape. You would have to bend hard but the stuff does not break. Yes, I would say indistructable. I would say they are the height of your rear skids, pretty much stock height. Of course on hard landings they just flex a little - the perfect amount.

JD

Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 AM
consultjdm

Soneebee,

Yep, I'm very sure I have the short flybar then. How long are your paddles?

Jd
Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 AM
consultjdm

Jonnzzo,

everyone is different on their skill level. It depends a lot on how much time you practice on a sim and time flying your heli and if you take Radds school of flight.

I've seen young 15 year olds do amazing things after a month and then others finally conquer a hover after 6 months and some just give up. It also depends on how much risk your willing to take / or can afford.

JD

ORIGINAL: jonnzzo

I just ordered a trex 450 SE. I have no heli expirience. everyone says I will never be able to fly it,they are very difficult to run. how long does it take the average person to learn to fly one of these?.
I got the base model, so I need to get servos and controller..ext. so I will be spending allot of time searching these forms tryng to figure out what I need.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
corona007

I agree with JD, When I started I got the sim G3 and I got it to practice 3D for my planes. And started to play with the helis on the sim. Never even thinking I would ever buy one, (I have 2 trex 1 lepton EX and a nitro raptor 50 so go figure). I could not even hover on the sim let alone make it go where I wanted too. Another thing is that most my comrads dont like helis and many times didnt offer any kind of support they said it was too hard and dangerous. We have had lots of close calls with out of control helis. Some old timers dont belive you can learn on a sim but I beg to differ. I started actually flying Oct 30 and now I can fly nose in side in loops tails slides inverted without even thinking about it. For me nose in is a lot like flying my planes when coming back towards me. Comparing real flight and sim flight its pretty close to the real thing, the big diffrence is mostly cross winds and set up electronic and mechanical. Most important make sure you use the proven equipment that is best for your model ie, servos, gyro etc. And dont give up, Like JD says some people get it sooner than others and some just give up. My advise is just go at your own pace and when practicing on your sim try your hardest not to crash. You cant puch a reset button when you crash your real heli.
Thanks, Lou
Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
soneebee

JD,

thanks for the info.. Ill try to get one of this bump resistant skids from align....its a little cheaper than the gorilla gear... I have seen also that on the gorilla gear kit there is a programable paddles.. hhmm.. its something kinda different.. I think you have to put the weight that you want on the paddles to get the best feel during flight.. loops and rolls will be more precise with your liking...

weekend is nearing again.. yes!!!!!.. rest from work.. hello field....

ORIGINAL: consultjdm

Soneebee,

The bump resistant landing gear are probably made of the same material as the gorilla landing gear but they have a nice color coating.

I'm not sure if its a coating or in the rubbery plastic really.

Yes you could bend it almost straight I guess (with a lot of force) and yes it returns to its original shape. You would have to bend hard but the stuff does not break. Yes, I would say indistructable. I would say they are the height of your rear skids, pretty much stock height. Of course on hard landings they just flex a little - the perfect amount.

JD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.