Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

lipo , feeling the heat

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

lipo , feeling the heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:56 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lipo , feeling the heat

ORIGINAL: WhtBronco

To address the heat concern. Due to the specs reported by Thunder Power of 140 deg suggested max and 160 deg peak, I always figure if I can stand to hold the battery after a flight it’s not being damaged to much, if at all. I will say, though, that in my T-Rex the battery gets much, much hotter than in my planes. The li-po’s in my planes, well in 1 plane they get a bit warm and the other remains just above ambient temperature. In my Rex it’s almost to hot to hold at times and without a temp gun I suggest that this translates to 120-130 deg temp. IIRC, 120 deg is the temp at which we feel things as being hot.
I find the same. The LIPO's on all my helicopters got alot warmer than they do on my planes. This is probably because with planes you can vary motor load as the wings produce much of the lift nescesary to stay flying. Helicopters need constant power all the time to stay afloat so there's always a constant steam of power being drained from the pack. With most planes, you're probably only draining from the battery it's "rated" discharge half the time, if that. With helicopters, you're much closer to the batteries max discharge ability, and you're there for most of the flight, which would explain the much increased temperatures.

I'm going to be installing a fan infront of the dual packs on my T-rex 600 to aid in cooling them during flight. It's not really nescesary since my packs are only warm to mildly hot after a flight, but any cooling will help to improve their life .
Old 09-19-2006, 07:06 PM
oldschool269

short flights should enable you to keep the batterys cool ...

i watch what guys who spend $$$$ on each flight pack

how can we extend flight times ?? run 22 volts ?? i have seen that done with a mega brushless setup and the flight time is quite impressive

Jason
Old 09-20-2006, 12:09 PM
shuohan
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Oldschool,

You could increase flight times by increasing your battery's capacity. This obviously increasses the weight of the heli, but if you just wanted to do basic circuits, you could put a 4000mAh battery in or if you already have 2100mAh batteries, just wire them in parallel.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:06 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

4400? You're talkin nearly a pound of batteries. That's alot of weight.

Flight with 4000+ mAh would be very very mellow.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:26 PM
shuohan
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah it would be mellow flight, you certainly won't do acrobatics, but if you're looking just to do some circuits it should be just fine. I've strapped a very heavy digital camera to my Trex before (heavier than a second pack) and it flew just fine. The weight was noticeable but the heli was far from unflyable.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:50 PM
walleye_gfa

Just talked with TP, they say the 2070 is to replace the 2100... so the one we ahve been talking about was designed to be the replacement for the current recommended Rex battery...

Side note sent in a bettery to TP that had one cell puff for no reason, they already replaced and sent back... wow now thats service !!!!