Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-rex setup help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 PM
-Inverted-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-rex setup help

Hi guys,
sorry in advance that this has probably been asked before, but Im just seeking some help. I am looking to buy a T-rex and am looking for a decent setup for good all around flying (yes, that includes 3D). My first question, being that im fairly new, should I spend the extra right up front and opt for a 9 channel, or should I just stick with something like the DX3 or a 7 or 8 channel? Would Hitec HS-56 HB servos suit my application well? Will the GY240 suit me or should I pay a little extra for the GY401? Is there another gyro brand you would suggest over Futaba? I pretty much have my ESC and motor selection picked out already. Im sure I left a few questions out, but this is all I could think of at the time being.

Thanks in advance for the help guys, I appreciate every ounce of information.

Ryan
Old 09-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Nankin Hobby

Default RE: T-rex setup help

get the hitec HS-65HB servos (alot better than the HS-56) The 9650 futaba servo is a good one for the tail. A little heavy yes but its all there is out there till hitec gets their servo done. Go with the 401 gyro. It is compatable with digital servos and the GY240 is not so that will leave open to future upgrades/digital usage now. The radio is preference. I have a 7CHP and its plenty for the T-REX. The 9CHP is just a premium for that heli.

Those are the best servos for your cyclic and a damn good gyro to use.

Post any other questions u may have or just message me.

Hope that helps
Old 09-18-2006, 12:02 AM
-Inverted-

Thanks a ton for the help. I was wondering If I went for a more budget route and used the Spektrum DX6 for the transmitter/reciever, and use the included servos for cyclic, and then purchase all the other required bits. This would certainly be easier on my budget and make this come to a reality much quicker, however I like to try and do things right the first time, so if this is a bad idea I wont go this way. I really would like a nice 9 channel, but it doesnt seem quite worth it for just a T-rex. I think maybe when I get into something bigger, a nicer radio will be more required...right?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:07 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The servos sold with the Spektrum radio are good for foam airplanes, but not good for T-Rex cyclic servos.

HS56 would be a minimum you should accept. HS65 have higher torque and are only slightly slower.
Go for the 401 gyro. If you are at all thinking of 3D, you will want the higher pirouette rate that the 401 supports, as well as the digital servo support. If you want to save a few $$$ to start with, skip the digital tail servo and just go with a 4th hs56 or hs65, whichever you use.

Vince
Old 09-18-2006, 08:39 AM
-Inverted-

Thanks you Vince for helping my decision on servos. I will go with the HS-65 HB. I was under the impression the Spektrum included servos would be sufficient due to the article and pictures in the T-Rex SA on Horizon's website.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 AM
WhtBronco

The S75 servos that come with the Spektrum radio will work, but just barely. They are sloppy and get very sloppy very quickly in a heli. I won’t even use them in a plane they are so bad.

Don’t go cheap on a T-Rex or you will likely regret it in the future. If you have the money I suggest a radio that is better than the Spektrum as well. It will work, but it’ll be easier to setup with a better radio like the JR 6102.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:24 PM
-Inverted-

Well thats the whole thing, if a better radio is required I will get one, but I would like to save some money where I can.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM
don_87

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

Well thats the whole thing, if a better radio is required I will get one, but I would like to save some money where I can.

The only way to save money on this hobby is by doing it right the first time.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 AM
oldschool269

ORIGINAL: don_87

The only way to save money on this hobby is by doing it right the first time.

ding ding ding !!!
we have a winner ...give this man a beer..

those 120$ servos arnt in the catalogue to look at ...

the better the servo the less slop you have to compensate for in hover

Jason