Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Yellow fiber blades OR wood set?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Yellow fiber blades OR wood set?

Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow fiber blades OR wood set?

I Just put together My Trex XL and reading as I save up for servos.
My XL came with two sets of blades the yellow fiber blades and a wood set, are these for different type of flying, or what?
I have read a few negative comments about the yellow fiber blades that come with the XL CDE.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:54 AM
NVSFlyer

Default RE: Yellow fiber blades OR wood set?

Stick with the wood set, the fiber flex way to much are just a pain at times. The wood set are 325s and the fiber are 315 I believe so it will also be more stable to learn on.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:42 AM
WhtBronco

Yeap go with the wood blades. Use the fiber blades as paint stirs, that's all they are good for.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:35 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Use the woodies, the fiber (plastic if you ask me) blades royally suck, I can not even get them to track worth a darn.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Remyrw

can't speak for the quality, but my "fiber" were 325's and balanced perfectly, they might not TRACK, I haven't spun it up yet, but they balance nicely. The 315 wood ones haven't been messed with yet, I figure the plastics are tougher and if they track I'll use them for my first few flights and see how it goes. I'm going to get a set of 325mm pro wood ones once I've gotten things setup and some flights in so I'm more confident.

I figure the fiber ones will handle minor scuffs better, I don't expect to crash, but I might tilt over a bit while I get things trimmed and get a feel for it. I'm being bad and not using training gear this time
Old 10-15-2006, 06:56 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Agreed, avoid the plastic blades. I second WhtBronco's stir stick idea..
Old 10-15-2006, 07:57 PM
hdoc

If you're a Heli beginner, start with the longer blades-They ARE more stable--Then move on to others. With all due respect, you'll go thru dozens of sets of blades in the next few Months. (I did) -- As you become proficient, choose those with which you like the best. You'll end up with expensive, excellent carbon blades in the long run, but the $12.50 335mm Align Woods fly very,very well and are very inexpensive to replace in the inevitalble crashes.(I keep around 8 sets of various blades available at all times)

Lloyd
Old 10-15-2006, 09:12 PM
drtmind01

mm those yellow blades are bad i tell u baddd, it will give u boomstrikes trus me, i learned the hard way ....a couple of times [:@]
Old 10-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Remyrw

lol, now ya got me in a mess. Longer but crappy, or short but quality? I know I don't have the willpower to wait on new blades once the other stuff arrives. If I'm lucky maybe the shop has a set in stock when I pick up the rest of my stuff. Otherwise, I think I'll leave the fiber blades on for the initial spin ups and adjustments then switch to the wooden 315's for the maiden flights. I just plan to hover a bit and adjust my throttle and pitch curves so the 315 vs 325/335 issue shouldn't come up. Of course I'll have to tweak my settings once I get the blades I'll be using regularly. I'm guessing that will be 325's since I'm not into serious 3D yet and my LHS would have to special order 335s. He doesn't have any right now but he's getting 325's in to keep in stock, along with other T-rex parts.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:54 AM
P-40LUVR

I have the "yellow" plastic blades on my NEW XL 450 CDE and they seem to work just fine,I am only hovering in the living room though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50353.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	542017  
Old 10-17-2006, 08:26 PM
jltray

I have not graduated to a 450 from my CX, but all the people I have talked with that fly a lot say use the wood to learn with. Yes they break on impact, but they give their life to save the head and other parts which cost a lot more.

Learning as I go, remembering what I can.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
RcFlyer06
My Feedback: (4)

USE THE WOOD! Plastic caused a boom strike and a serious crash on my Rex[]
Old 11-23-2006, 10:27 PM
AlM9SlDEWlNDER

I crashed with the yellow blades, and yes, they are indestructable and perfectly balanced from the factory, but they destroy the whole head assembly and strike the boom on crashes. I crashed and landed on my training gear, but the rotor hit the tailboom and snapped the whole head assembly to pieces as well as breaking the boom. I guess from now on I will use wood for learning. As Jltray said, sacrifice the $10 blade to save the $60 head.