Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

T-rex 450 SE what battery should i buy

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-rex 450 SE what battery should i buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default T-rex 450 SE what battery should i buy

I just bought a T-rex 450 SE and i was wondering what battery i could get away with not paying 79.99. I was looking on e-bay and i found a no name brand for 19.99. i assume all i need is a 2100 mAh battery with three cells at 11.1 v. the only other stipulation is i have to be able to charge the battery with a triton charger. Please tell me what kind of connections to get and where to get them prefurably cheap. I think the Align 35A speed controler uses deans but i'm not sure. The triton has bannana jacks out so i need to know were to get charging wires banna to what ever the battery has. Most of them are 4 pin carging jacks. thanks for all your help
-Matt
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 PM
mirage-twin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-rex 450 SE what battery should i buy

Im no pro, but a $20 3 cell 2100mah lipo is probably an explosion waiting to happen, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:57 PM
johnnychimpo

Check out www.cnchelicopter.com They have some batteries for 32 bucks that would be perfect for your price range 2200mah 3s 11.v lipo. Not too expensive and great to learn on with a 15c discharge. I have a accu-cycle elite charger by hobbico and 2 great planes equinox balance adapters for balancing. With a decent power supply i can charge 2 packs at the same time at 2 amps each and balance them at the same time as well.

unfortunately you are going to have to do some research and find the best option for your particular situation. helifreak.com, runryder.com, and rcgroups.com have along with this site have a wealth of information

congrats on your 450 purchase, and remember to practice on the simulator or spend a lot of money fixing you Rex.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Flyboywbl

Yah this is my first 3d electric Heli but i have a sceadu evo 30 that i can loop now. so i'm not concerned with the well being of this bird. My ignorence lies in the battery technolegy. I really want this bird to travel with because it's hard (actually impossible) to bring glow fuel on a plane. but i apreciate your help. Will a triton carger charge these batteries?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:26 AM
johnnychimpo

yes they will. I would eventually purchase a balance charger for it as well. I recommend a hyperion lba10 or great planes Equinox.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Flyboywbl

i just did
Old 03-07-2007, 07:17 AM
HeliTB

I would suggest a Thunder Power 11.1v 2100mah or 2070mah and 15C or higher. Thunder Power also makes a charger and balancer. That's the setup I use and it is flawless. I can even use my TP 425 charger to charge my TP 7.4v 2100mah battery that I use in my Raptor 30 V2.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been flying Thunder Power on all of my electrics for the last two years. I have been flying electric planes for a while now and I have just gotten into Helis with a T-Rex. I use the Thunder Power 2100 with a 20C rating. I am thinking about trying Flight Power as they have a higher rating.

When it comes to Li-Po, DON'T SKIMP on them. They are very safe if you handle them properly or are from a reputable dealer. Always remember, you get what you pay for.

DD
Old 03-07-2007, 12:14 PM
johnnychimpo

TP has the extreme packs and they are rated at 25c continuous.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Missileman

I have both Thunder Power and Dualsky Xpower batteries. Oddly the Dualsky seem to outperform the TP which are both rated the same but at a lower cost. The Dualsky does weigh slightly more.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Flyboywbl

Yah i bought two of the XMseller's and i plan on being carful with them (ie battery bunker) and never charge them in the house. I have a 860 mAh e-flight battery on my Blade CP and i've never had a problem with it but I do agree you get what you pay for in the hobby world. I ended up getting my brand new T-rex 450SE with a futaba gy401, three Hitec HS-65HB's and, 1 Futaba 9650 all for $560 shipped (gotta love Ebay!) wich i think is a great deal seeing as the SE alown costs around five hundered bucks from Horizon Hobby. I bought a Futaba 6ch PCM reciver for 79.99 from tower hobbies along with the Equenox charge addaptor. I plan on using my Futaba 7CHP for guidence. any way i'm looking forward to building flying and probibly crashing.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:20 PM
zope_pope

Hey,

for a good deal on batteries visit www.grandrc.com . i got my trexSE combo for cheaper than i could find anywhere else and they also have a 2 pack of Align 2100 11.1v 16c's for 90 bucks! Thats 45 dollar quality lipos. Not too shabby.

http://www.grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/38956

How you like them apples?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:29 AM
ct420

Hows about a 20C for $32.00?

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2045

I've heard that these Hextronix batts. are actually TP cells rebranded. I have no idea if that is actually true or not, but I have found several good reports about them. Of course, mostly from people who are newer to helis, but they all say that they work well.

I've been planning to order one and see how it stacks up. Of course, the main drawback is the wait. They are always on backorder, so it can take 2-3 weeks to get it from what I hear...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 PM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Flight Power 2170 rated 20C, I use Thunder Power 1010 chargwe with 210 ballancer.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

I'm flying the DN Power 2170 20c packs. They are awesome, and only $90 for 2, or $140 for 2 with a balancing charger. Heck of a deal on great packs. I'd put them up against the TP extreme, they barely get warm with hard 3d. You can get them at Ready Heli or GrandRC. Watch out, they have both 15c and 20c, get the 20c, it's worht the little bit extra.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Bcolici

has anyone checked this place out[link]http://www.all-battery.com/[/link]i am awiating on li-po batteries and charger i purchased from them some other members here didnt have a problem.great battery prices i dont know about the quality.it seems that some companies re shrinkwrap them and stick thier name on it thats what it looks like anyways.sometimes your paying for the name.anyone interested should check them out.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Flyboywbl

Ok i got my trex up and running with the X-seller batteries. It flyes for about nine minutes in normal mode. The only thing is there is not much extra power if i want to do a full power clim. If i want to do 3D stuff with this bird, do i just need a higher "C" pack. These are 15 C packs. if i move to a 20C pack is that like getting 1/4 more power? Should i get a 25 c? any way i would love it if someone could explain to me the ratings and what they mean. How long of a flight should i be getting? remember the 9 min flights i'm getting are in normal mode not in idle up. Is there a pitch and throttle curve that you guys use that you like for normal and idle up? Also i live at 4500 ft keep that in mind.
thanks for all your help
-Matt
Old 03-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Flyboywbl

Well i found out why i had no power. I was using a pitch guage that was designed for larger heli's. I also did not know that the flybar had to be parallel to the ground when checking the pitch. I bought a micro pitch guage and set every thing up. I went in my garage to test out the new settings (I had been flying there alot with the underpowered settings) it took off fine, i could tell there was PLENTY of pull out power. then i did something dumb. I hit the idle up and it shot up like a rocket (in the previous idle up settings i had to have my throttle at 3/4 to hover in idle up so thats what i had it set at). Just befour it hit the celing i jerked the stick down to 1/4 (This was dumb to but it was an instintual reaction) it shot straight down. It hit the ground as i shot the stick up to try and slow it down. It looked like a crazy dragon fly hopping up and down and then it hit the ground. I should of tested i out side i know but it was dark out and i could not resist. I bent the flybar, stripped the main gear, bent the main shaft and broke the main blades. all in all it cost me $39.00 shipped from heliproz and it should be here on saturday. Man electrics are way WAY more powerful than the nitros. when i hit the idle up on a nitro it takes time to spool up to a faster RMP. With the electric it was instantainous!!! wow it was cool and was worth the lesson (i conssidered flying it in the house (i fly my blade CP indoors) but thought that might be too dangerouse). Only 40 dollars and i got to see a spectacluar crash!! i think a 15C battery is PLENTY of power for me to 3D but we will se on saturday when i get the new parts and i go out to the feild to test it out.
-Matt
Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Raserx

Good save...sort of It would have been worse to hit the ceiling, you might have become part of the crash.....LOL.

I remeber the first time I give it full positive pitch....scared the ****e out of me. It went about forty feet in the air in two seconds, like a little yellow rocket ship. What really sucks about helis is you never get to rest until its on the ground...its also one of the cool things.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Flyboywbl

thats what i love about heli's. they keep your heart pumping the whole time!!! i was bumed out when i first flew this thing cuz i had planed to learn how to 3D on it (i did not want to bash my nitro sceadu in the attempts) but this thing has sooooo much poer i can't belive it!!!! i can only imagine what it would be like with a 20C!!! for 32 bucks these are a great buy!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:01 PM
johnnychimpo

ORIGINAL: Flyboywbl

Ok i got my trex up and running with the X-seller batteries. It flyes for about nine minutes in normal mode. The only thing is there is not much extra power if i want to do a full power clim. If i want to do 3D stuff with this bird, do i just need a higher "C" pack. These are 15 C packs. if i move to a 20C pack is that like getting 1/4 more power? Should i get a 25 c? any way i would love it if someone could explain to me the ratings and what they mean. How long of a flight should i be getting? remember the 9 min flights i'm getting are in normal mode not in idle up. Is there a pitch and throttle curve that you guys use that you like for normal and idle up? Also i live at 4500 ft keep that in mind.
thanks for all your help
-Matt
I was going to say, whats your pitch range. I have mine at +11 -11 in idle 1. Sucks you dorked it into the ground though. How is the rebuild coming along?

Make damn sure your not over discharging your packs. dont use more than 80% capacity or you may destroy them. 9 min sounds like a long time unless your using a 11t pinion.

I run a 13t and get about 7 mins of flight time. No hardcore 3d though.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Flyboywbl

Yah the parts will be here tomorrow. I live in Bozeman witch is only two hours away from billings (ie HeliProz location). If i get there standard shipping anything i order before 3 oclock come the next day!!! now thats what i call cheep overnight shipping. since I banged it up at about 8 oclock last night my order did not go through until today. I ordered another pair of Wood mains. I really don't think i'm ready to use the Carbon mains yet and i don't feel like paying 40 bucks a set. I got no name 325's for 12 bucks at heliproz. I got my sceadu evo ready to go. I have to break in the engine. I'm off to turn some nitro into smoke!
-Matt
Old 03-31-2007, 03:57 AM
Tolla

I'm using the DN Power 2150 Mah 15C batteries and am very happy with them. I'll probably get the 20CX next time though. I get mine at Tech Model Products.com. (Best service around IMO) $45 for 15C and $49 for 15C. Better deals if you buy two together.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:02 AM
Tolla

About over-discharging batteries. The low battery warning device from Heloproz is great. Weigs less than 3grammes and has visiual and audible warning. Low voltage warning is programmable to almost whatever you want it to be. ( If i knew how to post links I'd do that) $24 well spent.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:05 AM
Tolla

Yep, I like to setup outside now. The garage has cost me too many rotor blades an main shafts etc. when you flip th eidle-up switch the garage roof is too low, heli just jumps right up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.