Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

converting a 450xl to a 450se

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

converting a 450xl to a 450se

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
motomatt86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting a 450xl to a 450se

what is needed to do this? cant i just buy a se carbon frame and move everything over?

what else would i need?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Druss

Default RE: converting a 450xl to a 450se

the se also has a full metal head and tail. You're talking about $250 to upgrade completely.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
rlsloan

You really don't change performance so why bother?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:34 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rlsloan, what do you say that you don't change performance? My experience says that it is quite a significant change in performance when you compare an old XL to a new SE V2. Or did you mean that the SE frame with all of the old XL parts will not produce much performance improvement? I would agree with that.

motomatt86, in there are a whole series of improvements that went in to the product line since your XL was made. You might want to consider getting a full SE V2 kit. That way you can put your XL up on a shelf and keep it for nostalgia. Or as a spare bird for those mishaps that come up from time to time.

The V2 frame with its servo arrangement requires a 120 degree swash. I did run my old plastic head with a 120 swash for a while. Then I bought a whole SE mast and was amazed at how much it cleaned up the performance.

Also, keeping your old plastic tail leaves you without the improvements that have been made there. I am still running the plastic tail, but I also fly SE V2s owned by brothers #1 and #2 and there is more slop in my tail than in theirs. By a bunch. I seriously need to upgrade the tail. But it is not on the budget for now.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM
alfredbmor

Vince:
I own the SA version, The Tail Assembly is all plastic with the bearings and gear shaft exception, do you think that changing the plastic case for the aluminium case could improve my Trex?

I recently had a mishap and I had to change several plastic broken parts, like the flybar assembly which I upgraded for the aluminium one. I think that I can upgrade my Trex if I crash once in a while (one or two months from every crash) and go changing from plastic to aluminium.
Next thing to change will be the Blade grips (With or with out a crash), then the swash plate and finally all those blocks with the bearings.
Every other plastic part in my SA will have the same effect as the aluminium.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
clutchbob

I have read where keeping the old plastic bearing blocks keeps the noise down.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor
Vince:
I own the SA version, The Tail Assembly is all plastic with the bearings and gear shaft exception, do you think that changing the plastic case for the aluminium case could improve my Trex?
I have not upgraded mine. I am sure that if I were doing 3D or fast backward flight (FBF) that I would need to upgrade. As it is, I fly it and enjoy it. When either of my brothers fly it, they do comment on the less 'crisp' feel to the tail control. They made the same kind of comments before I upgraded the head. Actually, they used a lot of foul language to describe my heli before I bought the SE head. Now we just argue about who has their heli set up better.

Is the upgrade necessary for you? That depends on your budget ($100!!!) and on whether you are noticing any bad behavior from the tail.

Vince
Old 11-12-2007, 04:10 PM
alfredbmor

No, it does not really need it, I am comfortably hovering and doing some FF flying so I should not need any expensive part to change by now, but in the event of a crash, then I will go for the metal instead of the plastic parts.