Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

EXP Settings on DX7

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

EXP Settings on DX7

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXP Settings on DX7

Hi there. This is kind of DX7 setup question and kind of a general question about how to set up a Heli for a beginner. I have a 450 V2, stock with DX7 and HS-65MG's on cyclic.

I know that in the SWASH menu there is an EXP setting, which, when set to ACT, will provide exponential operation of the swash and elevator and aileron control. From reading past posts, it seems that most experienced people advise using EXP on the swash menu because it tends to produce a more linear output given the rotation angle of the servo horns. Anyone disagree with this first statement?

Second, I currently have dual rates set up on all three channels: aileron, elevator and rudder. All three dual rates are set up as follows:

Pos. 0: +30% EXP (This is a DX7) and 70% travel

Pos. 1: LIN and 100% travel.

My question is should I have EXP enabled not only on the SWASH menu but also in D/R? Is my setup "dumbing-down" the performance of the Heli too much?

I know that the real test is actually flying it, but it's winter around here, so I thought that I would make this an academic exercise first.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 PM
BoysToys

Default RE: EXP Settings on DX7

I wish I could help you out but I don't run any expo at all on my DX7/T-Rex 450SE V2 and have no idea how to set it up. However, I did make adjustments to my pitch curve and rudder endpoints when first learning to fly it. For you elevator why not just flatten out your pitch curve a little in the middle? I did this and it kept the heli from "jumping" up and down with due to small stick inputs. For your rudder just lower the end points on rudder channel and the heli will not piro as fast. I now run a linear pitch curve and have my rudder endpoints up around 90 for fast piros. These changes will have the same effect as Expo but are easier for me to understand and adjust. Now if you still want to slow down your aileron movements you will need to dial in some expo.

Good Luck and have fun!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Let me clarify a few things.

EXP on the swash is under documented and IMO mislabeled, heck for that matter it should be on by default.

All servos have (speaking in JR terms here) negative expo built in. That is, you get more control surface deflection around center than at extremes. As for control axis expo it takes about +20 to 25 % expo to get things linear.

Now the swash plate. Knowing what we know about built in expo, if the swash is farther away from center and we give say 2 clicks of collective (bear with me and pretend the clicker is installed on the throttle stick) that will be less movement at the swashplate than if you give those same two clicks at mid stick. Also if the swash is up near the top or and you give elevator the downward moving servo will have more movement than the upward moving ones. Same with aileron input, the downward moving servo will have more of an effect at the swash than the upward moving one. The farther away from mid stick the more pronounced the effect.

Enabling EXP in the swash menu supposedly compensates for all that, though I suspect it uses a generic value or one based on the swash percentages it's still better than not using it. You will have to reset your pitch, ail, and ele numbers if you enable it after you do all your setup because it takes some total throw away from the system to do what it does (you can get that back by increasing the swash percentage numbers) so its better to start out with it enabled.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Let me clarify a few things.

EXP on the swash is under documented and IMO mislabeled, heck for that matter it should be on by default.

All servos have (speaking in JR terms here) negative expo built in. That is, you get more control surface deflection around center than at extremes. As for control axis expo it takes about +20 to 25 % expo to get things linear.

Now the swash plate. Knowing what we know about built in expo, if the swash is farther away from center and we give say 2 clicks of collective (bear with me and pretend the clicker is installed on the throttle stick) that will be less movement at the swashplate than if you give those same two clicks at mid stick. Also if the swash is up near the top or and you give elevator the downward moving servo will have more movement than the upward moving ones. Same with aileron input, the downward moving servo will have more of an effect at the swash than the upward moving one. The farther away from mid stick the more pronounced the effect.

Enabling EXP in the swash menu supposedly compensates for all that, though I suspect it uses a generic value or one based on the swash percentages it's still better than not using it. You will have to reset your pitch, ail, and ele numbers if you enable it after you do all your setup because it takes some total throw away from the system to do what it does (you can get that back by increasing the swash percentage numbers) so its better to start out with it enabled.
Thank you! That was EXACTLY the information I was after. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] I'm going to make sure that the swash EXP is enabled and I am going to reduce some of the EXP I have built in to the dual rates. I can't wait to try it out!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM
zaboaa

Adjusting the end points, is that the page titled" Travel adjust". Mine says rudder 100% left and right, if I reduce that to say 50% would that cut the pyro rate by 50% (making it slower)?

ORIGINAL: BoysToys

I wish I could help you out but I don't run any expo at all on my DX7/T-Rex 450SE V2 and have no idea how to set it up. However, I did make adjustments to my pitch curve and rudder endpoints when first learning to fly it. For you elevator why not just flatten out your pitch curve a little in the middle? I did this and it kept the heli from "jumping" up and down with due to small stick inputs. For your rudder just lower the end points on rudder channel and the heli will not piro as fast. I now run a linear pitch curve and have my rudder endpoints up around 90 for fast piros. These changes will have the same effect as Expo but are easier for me to understand and adjust. Now if you still want to slow down your aileron movements you will need to dial in some expo.

Good Luck and have fun!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: zaboaa

Adjusting the end points, is that the page titled" Travel adjust". Mine says rudder 100% left and right, if I reduce that to say 50% would that cut the pyro rate by 50% (making it slower)?

ORIGINAL: BoysToys

Good Luck and have fun!
I'm no GURU, but I do not think that you're supposed to adjust any of the rudder end points or sub-trims if you're using a HH gyro. Just FYI.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yes, lowering in the end points will lower the piro rate and make the rudder less sensitive.

50 percent is pretty drastic, try it in steps of 5 or 10.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:46 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67

I'm no GURU, but I do not think that you're supposed to adjust any of the rudder end points or sub-trims if you're using a HH gyro. Just FYI.
Yes, lowering in the end points will lower the piro rate and make the rudder less sensitive.
No, your total tail servo travel is controlled by your gyro not your radio. Adjusting the endpoints on your radio is how you are supposed to control your piro rates. The higher the endpoint the faster your piro and vice versa.

So you use expo to get rid of the interaction due to the difference in servo travel? I only dialed out my interactions at top and bottom full stick using endpoints when setting up my 450. I never took the time to attempt to get rid of the interactions throughout the entire travel of the swash. My new T-Rex500 should be here next week and may go ahead and attempt to program out all of the interactions.