Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Is a Castle Creations Phoenix 35 worth it?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Is a Castle Creations Phoenix 35 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
MiniCwik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Castle Creations Phoenix 35 worth it?

Okay, I'm looking to improve performance and reliability of my T-Rex.

I currently have a TRIXX esc with my 3400kv motor, but have a 3550kv motor that I plan to install soon.

Should I stick with the TRIXX ESC, get an Align RCE-BL35X, or get a CastleCreations Phoenix-35A ESC?

Here is a pic of my bird from my cell phone today, I have blue aluminum head and tail waiting to be installed as well as CF blades;
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78657.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	859044  
Old 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
mensaboy

Default RE: Is a Castle Creations Phoenix 35 worth it?

most people i know running a 430XL or a higher performance scorpion etc, are running a CC Phoenix 45, or even Phoenix 60 - they claim that they get more punch with an ESC much bigger than needed - it would definitely run cooler

personally i have the Phoenix 35 paired with a 430XL motor/12 tooth pinion and she runs cool and strong at 80% - 90% power continuous through a 2500 mAh 8-minute flight

however the BEC in the Phoenix' are barely capable when running 3s 11.1v batteries, and heat up in short order unless you are running the motor (when you run the motor a good deal of the batteries power is sent there, reducing the amount the BEC has to step down to output 5.1 volts), so if you plan on spending many minutes setting up gyro/pitch curves, i recommend using a separate Rx battery pack while on the bench, or getting a separate BEC to keep in the heli permanantly
Old 01-23-2008, 03:33 PM
MiniCwik

Or should I go with the Align RCE-BL35G?

I have Hitec HS-65HBs for cyclic, Futaba 9650 digital for rudder, Logitech2100t gyro, and a Futaba 6exh radio.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:36 PM
MiniCwik

Thanks mensa, I have noticed that the TRIXX ESC I have in it, gets warm, not hot but I had the ESC mounted up higher in the canopy and have since moved it down to the vent/opening at the bottom of the canopy to help get airflow to it.

So you recommend a seperate BEC from the ESC? Hmmm
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
mensaboy

with BECs theres 2 main types, the ones that do up to 3s 11.1v (barely), due to inadequate, minimal, or non-existent heatsinks - the phoenix 35 falls under the non-existent umbrella

the other type is a high voltage one, that can handle up to 5s and even 6s - up to 25v or more, that have better chips, and heatsinks etc

depending on which kind is built into the ESC, depends on weather or not i would run an external BEC
Old 01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
MiniCwik

Which ESC would you recommend for a T-Rex450?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
srouthouse

the CC is a great ESC and would run most any motor for the trex i just bought the scorpion -8 and i paired mine with the align 35X bert k uses the align 35X with a -6 and says he likes the power better then the 40-55amp ones. if you go CC get a bec. i found my new ESC in the forums at RR for 35 shipped NIB.

Which ESC would you recommend for a T-Rex450?

it really depends on which motor you get and the TX your running. ive read guys having problems with the scorpion 45a ESC and the spectrum TX the 55a scorpion has been fine. if you want the best and have the money get the Jazz its the bomb and has a good internal bec and ive not heard one complaint in 4 different forums. next down from the jazz id go with the 45 CC. i still went with the align 35X because it was cheap and holds up very well.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
MiniCwik

Thanks srouthouse!

I have a Futaba 6exhp TX, and a 3200kv motor from another 450 heli I had.

I plan on installing a Sonix 3500kv motor soon, and wondered if I should upgrade to a new ESC as well.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 PM
srouthouse

i would only replace it if need be. if its a 35a ESC then run with it.

why a sonix motor?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
MiniCwik

My ESC is a 35A ESC, I have been running it with a lower power motor (from my BlackHawk 450) and it's gotten a little warm so I thought about replacing it since I will be installing this Sonix motor soon.

The Sonix came with a HDX450 SEV3 kit I snared on eBay, might as well put it to use ... 3500kv isn't bad, ehh? It came with a 13T pinion.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:43 AM
srouthouse

id try your stock ESC it should work on the sonix. a little warm is AOK cant touch it for half a second or melting zipties then you gots problems

well the BH450 is 3200 the 430L is 3550 and its kind of tame i was going to put the 430L in the BH because i was bogging it down in FF

i just installed the -8 scorpion 25c kong pac and the align35x and what a rush this thing is a monster on a 13t ive already tamed down my T curve and i may go to 12t. the -8V2 is a screamer and dirt cheap. doesnt even seem like the same heli

this trex is actually to fast for me now and im going to have to fly the BH for a while just to get used to the trex
Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 AM
MiniCwik

Thanks srouthouse!!! I will stick with the stock ESC for now then.

Yeah, I have seen lotsa posts about these Scorpion motors, do you have a link to them?

I'll probably be putting some of my "stimulus package" to some heli enhancements but not too much, unless they are made in the USA.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
srouthouse

well not sure how much is made in USA and trust me im a redneck through and through i dont think we could fly all USA without breaking our wallets.

i got my scorpion at readyheli and only there because of the free shipping that and i got the kong 25c pac there. rchover has them as well.

there was the guy in the RR forums selling those align NIB 35x ESC i got mine yesterday and it was perfect $35 shipped that was a steal.

the best reading on the scorpion is at RR and helifreaks