Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

I think I stuffed my brand new air thunder lipo

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

I think I stuffed my brand new air thunder lipo

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:08 PM
cameltoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I stuffed my brand new air thunder lipo

I just bought a T-REX SE V2. I just finnished building it and I was soldering the battery wires, anyway when I was doing that the two lipo wires touched for about 2-3 seconds. now when I plug it into the ESC it wont beep, but I havnt charged the battery either because it keeps saying broken connection when there isnt. just wondering if its stuffed and then if so what sort of battery woud you recommend for 3d. the battery I have at the moment is a 2200mAh 11.1 3cell 25C air thunder lipo. any help would be great thanks.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:29 PM
noobflyer01

Default RE: I think I stuffed my brand new air thunder lipo

ouch! those thunderpower lipos are expensive. i have the TP 2200mah 25 that is in one word "AMAZING" . its like its made for the trex 450.

i also hear people say the kong power is a great lipo. i'm gonna pick a pair up pretty soon and will let you know how they are.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:34 PM
wildwilly

have u got a voltmeter? Check all the wiring down the the actual cells and you will probably find a broken connection. I had a simialr problem after i shorted one of my lipos. All that happened was the power from the short had snapped one of the connection tabs that comes out of one of the lipo cells and it just needed resoldering onto the circuit board. I would hope something similar has happened to you, i dont think a quick short destroys these batteries.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:07 PM
cameltoe

well i got a guys voltmeter and got as reading of 11.93v from the charging lead this morning. So this is really confuzing. it melted the metal plug as well so maybe its not connecting well with the female plug. but the thing I cant understand is why my charger is saying broken connection. Iv never charged lipos with this charger before. its a imax B6 if anyones heard of it. its a pretty good charger and onlya week old. this is my first electric so still in learning stages, but thanks for the help
Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 PM
J-MICHAEL

Cameltoe

I have the same lipo from Air Thunder and they are good lipo's. A bit on the heavy side compared to my Thunder Power's but I like that added weight when needed in more windy conditions where I fly currently. For 3-D weight would be your enemy... I've shorted one before doing the same as you did, back in the earlier days of learning, and never had a problem with it not working. Once even touched the leads so good, that they both turned red hot and I could hardly pull them apart. I was seconds from just chucking it in a safe area and waiting for a fire or explosion, but in my favor nothing happened and it still works to this day...

You might check each individual cell through the balancing connector to see what they read, and double check all connections, and if that fails take it to your LHS or someone with another charger to see if it might be your charger from just improper set-up...

Air Thunder offers excellent customer service, and a represenative will help you on the phone, and may offer a replacement. They did for my Dad's 600, and had no hesitations on replacing the batt. Worse case scenario is they might make you ship the batt to them and they'll test it, but in my dad's case they said keep it and shipped him another...

Just flew my Trex the other morning with the Air Thunder and I'am very pleased with there performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_j_F4mvbKs

The Kong Power packs are also an excellent choice, and are a popular one by many in this forum...

Good Luck to ya,

Jeff
Old 06-21-2008, 09:51 PM
cameltoe

thanks for the help but I think The ESC is stuffed, I tried someone elses ESC and battery and the motor went fine. So either the ESC is stuffed or the battery or both. What would cause them/it to stop working .I mean i pulled the batery out of its packet yesterday its all so new and so bloody frustrating[:@]
Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Burntt32
My Feedback: (1)

try your battery on his esc/motor or his battery on your esc/motor
Old 06-21-2008, 10:41 PM
cameltoe

my battery on his ESC doesnt work and his battery doesnt work on my ESC. but his ESC and battery together work on the motor. so i gues my ESC and battery are fried.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Skarn

For future reference, when soldering on the battery leads, NEVER have both leads uncovered at the same time! ONLY solder one lead to the deans,. then uncover the 2nd lead and solder it on.

Skarn
Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Burntt32
My Feedback: (1)

in addition to skarn's post, make sure you put the heat shrink tubing on before you solder to the deans i had to unsolder once because it had slipped off while moving wires around. So uncover one, solder, recover then do the next wire.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Flying Foot Doc
My Feedback: (2)

CT, look at Finless' videos on soldering. Good lessons there that will help. Doc
Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM
cameltoe

alrity thanks guys