Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

My 2nd crash...Video

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

My 2nd crash...Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:34 AM
J-MICHAEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2nd crash...Video

Had my second crash today with my Trex 450 SA, but the first major one...! Oops... Mah CF blades ($60.00), tail linkage rod, Microheli titanium mainshaft, (I'll stick with stock next time) Feathering spindle, tail rotor blades, rear tail case, (really need the aluminum one now, the $5.00 for this thing is going to get expensive, as I just put another one on a few days ago...lol.. Elevator servo stripped (JR DS285) plastic gears really didn't help there...Guess it's a good time to upgrade finally to the HS 65mg's. Rear tail servo case needs replaced, but still have another hole to use to mount it, but will replace it anyway...Better than frying the Futaba S9254 though at $110.00... & the brand new tail belt I just put on a few days ago as a preventative measure is toast. The fiberglass canopy held up killer ! All perfect except for a small scar up front (Gives it character now)...! & I was surprised that the carbon fiber tail boom held up perfect also. Not a scratch. All the Micro-Heli head components are fine among that. The Micro-Heli vertical tail fin even held up, but took the rear tail case into pieces. Only the strong survive right ?! Those fins are thick suckers, I don't think you could break em' if ya tried. Survived it's second crash in a week...

Spooled her up to make sure the motor and esc were o.k....Reason why, and I know I'am going to here it (LMAO) is that after I crashed, I turned the TX off, and the batt was still plugged in... But it gets worse.....I was still in idle up 3 mode...! ooopsy... I guess in the midst of the excitement I forgot to flip the throttle hold switch. I really need to remember this, as my first crash I did the same...Geez ! I guess instead of trying to play superman and saving the craft, I should more concentrate on ejecting out of the seat like they taught me in the Navy...Lol.. Of course in a heli situation I guess your stuck for options there...

Took a gnarley little chunk off the garage wall. Guess it's better than my forehead.....

Someone once told me that crashing is a part of learning, so I guess I'am learning.........!

Got all the parts except a few, so wrenching will commence asap, but will give me something to do...Beats drinking at the bars eh ?! I'll stick with the heli's.....I think more room is going to be required here.....I could have saved it if the garage didn't reach out and grab it.....

I still can't believe the flybar is still straight as an arrow...!

Here is the minute and a half vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOv_jp_swPg

Take care gentleman,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29500.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	975732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90608.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	975733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75446.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	975734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68032.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	975735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fu66473.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	975736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89026.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	975737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70133.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	975738  
Old 06-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Burntt32
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: My 2nd crash...Video

i hear you with the TH, i've somehow gotten out of the habit of not using it those 65mg's are tanks though. The woodies are great, i still use them... kinda scared to use my CF's. They break easier = less stress on other rotating pieces and they are 1/5 the cost. Good luck with the next flight!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Fly To Chill
My Feedback: (20)

Jeff that sucks you were doing so well, good job sorry bout the crash.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
J-MICHAEL

Burntt32

Yeah I've been itching for a set of the Hi-Techs, now I have a excuse to get them...! The JR's came with the DX-7 package, so had to get a little use of them as I figured a good hit would put them out of commission...Lol.. I've had my heli's on the shelf for the last few months while I'am down here in Central Cali working, and just recently putting them in the air, I stored my woodies in a closet flat during that time and one warped, so the CF's went on... Gonna have to get a few more sets I suppose... Sure love the performance and accuracy of the CF's though, although it's a bummer dishing out the extra green from the ol' wallet when you start hitting walls and such (LMAO)... Just started learning the forward flight, & I think I get a little to excited up in the air, so I best maybe 'slow my role' just a little !

Take it easy....

Jeff
Old 06-22-2008, 12:02 PM
J-MICHAEL

Fly To Chill

Yeah thanks...! Iam not even bummed, as I'm pumped that I finally just got out of the hovering phase and just swinging back and forth sideways...Lol.. Just got overly excited ! Got a lot of good runs though in the two weeks that I've started some forward stuff... Good thing I had the helmet cam on, as that one I had to see again ! I oversteared to far in the circle I was trying to do... It was the side of the turn unfortunately that was my weakest. I can turn better one way more than the other for now, as I'am learning this...

I should have gassed the throttle right when I realized I was getting to close to the garage, I might have been able to recover it, but at the time, I was thinking that it was coming at me, and above me, and I didn't want a facial makeover so the rest is now in the history books...Lol...

I'll fly up top on the hill next time more room there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_j_F4mvbKs

Have a good one,

Jeff
Old 06-22-2008, 03:18 PM
ace22459

I've been using the ds285s in my SA since I got it almost a year ago. They're great servos if you upgrade to metal gears, about $18.00 each. Haven't stripped a servo since. Cheaper than HS65mgs and you have digital servos. Didn't Finless say he has never been able to completely get rid of ccpm interaction with non-digital servos? Also, unless you have money to burn, stick with the 325 woodies. You can bet that everytime you crash your going to waste the blades. $12.99 vs $60.00. You don't need CF untill your ready for serious 3d or get to the point where you really don't crash anymore. I'm just getting into FFF with my SA and 600n and I'm using woodies on both. I run 1700 rpm on the 600 so woodies are fine for learning. They run me $18.00 a set from HeliProz. The cheapest 600mm CFs I can find are $55.00, also from HeliProz. It just makes sense to use the woodies when crashing often. Just my 2cents. Alan
Old 06-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Burntt32
My Feedback: (1)

nice! i have to admit i havn't even flown my cf's so i cant compare the differences. If you've got the money, keep pushing the limit, its how you learn!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 AM
J-MICHAEL

I think the woodies would be a wise choice for the future, thanks for the input guys ! But the CF's look so pretty.....lol.. The ones that just shattered lasted a year, so I don't feel as bad, but now that I'am actually moving the bird around, I see crashes more evident in the future...

Jeff
Old 06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
polkchop

Yeah you know you're cheap when you buy radix blades,and you still fly old nicked align carbons LOL!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:32 AM
OHaussie
My Feedback: (5)

I've just replaced the plastic gears in my ds-285's after a slight altercation with the ground (will post photo's when I get home).... However I didn't know you could change the plastics in the 285's to metal.. which gear kit is that? anybody able to enlighten me?.. I'll get some for next time (pessimistic sod aren't I.. )
Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 PM
PaulG-RC

Here you go but they are not out yet.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=JRPSG241MG

Old 06-25-2008, 02:16 PM
USHobbySupply

Sorry to see the crash. I too am better at the right turns than the left turns. Just seems odd, but gotta practice more.

Michael
Old 06-25-2008, 04:15 PM
J-MICHAEL

Well my "Down-Time" I got to pull out one of my dusty CPP's, and put a $30.00 Heli-Direct fuselage by Fusuno on the Pro...It's kinda neat, changes the heli dramatically...Just starting to finish it up, and now it's time to get the Rex back in the air, cause I can fly that one (LMAO)... Took the Hughes out for a maiden, and it did good...I quickly got reminded that it wasn't the Trex, and had to take it easy a little...I couldn't even imagine trying to fly this right now like I do with my Trex in the above vids, there is no way, I can hover the CPP all over the place and maybe a very very slow circuit on a very good day if I was lucky...Crazy....Well time to start wrenching on the Trex....And see what else I can find broke that's hidden...Lol...As a matter of fact while I'am typing this, I can see in a certain light right now looking at the Trex that there is a small crack in the CF tailboom....I have an aluminum one I better throw on, I don't want the belt running down the boom fraying on a sliver of CF.....[X(]

Ace22459

You really had me thinkin' after your comment about the servo's... I put some thought to it, and gonna stay digital with the JR's, and replace them as they go to the JRds285 mg's... I just went and got a whole unit for the elevator servo that got stripped and it's the MG version. I might get a rush on the other two servo's, and replace them in the next week or so....Hey,.... Went woodies....!

OHaussie

I wondered the same last night looking on Heli-Direct's website...I just went the desperate route, and went to the LHS to see if they had some metal gears, but of course they didn't, so Just went with a whole new servo. Keeps the parts bin full anyway...!

PaulG-RC

Man I haven't been on these forums until recently for about 5 months, and remember when you first got that fuselage...And now your doing rolls and flips and such...! Crazy...Good job...My area right now is just forward basics, but it's a blast. I love these things ! [8D]

USHobbySupply

Thanks Michael...Long time no see...Glad to see ya still pokin around the forums. Hope all is well....

Jeff

Name:	Qo41508.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	978402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81268.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	978403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49827.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	978404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94288.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	978405  
Old 06-25-2008, 04:30 PM
USHobbySupply

All is great!!

Michael
Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 PM
PaulG-RC

Hi Jeff

Well you know its true what they say the more you fly the better you get, and I have been on vacation now for a couple weeks and also been flying in the morning at the park teaching my young brother with a Blade 400 3D so I have been active.

Since I started last august with my Honey Bee King 2 I have logged 238 heli flights so far.

I also been testing new fuselages on a friends T-Rex also

Here is the military one with a small video too.
http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulG91/...MilOnTRex450V2

My Blue Airwolf is also doing well.

As for my aerobatics well its getting there ,my heart can take it a bit more now

Name:	Ig11026.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	978428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98039.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	978429  
Old 06-25-2008, 04:53 PM
OHaussie
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks PaulG...
I like that yellow 500- very nice.. that will be my next project I think..

The result of my first big crash of my T-rex V2:
Bent tail boom, bent fly bar, bent main shaft, two stripped servos, and two damaged main blades.. not bad for a first effort

Name:	Sq47716.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	978430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11604.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	978431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53626.jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	978432  
Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 PM
PaulG-RC

Ouch![] its always sad to see that.

One thing I did notice is that if you know its going down and you cant do anything about it , first thing to do is hit the motor cut switch so there is no inertia on the head, that reduces the damages.

You should of seen the height my T-Rex fell from and very little damage, I could not beleive it.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 PM
goldslinger

Jeff !

I too, have joined the T-REX CROWD ! (since Christmas). T-REX450SE V2 and a DX-7 RADIO.

10 crashes so far; totally have it rebuilt now and doing figure 8's and nose in.

How Ya' Been?

Gary
Old 06-27-2008, 10:20 PM
PaulG-RC

Here is a small video of my T-Rex doing some stunts with Flycam one on board

http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulG91/...58827550163746

Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 PM
J-MICHAEL

goldslinger

Hey there...! You got a p.m...

PaulG-RC

Wow that was excellent ! It really gives you a good perspective with the cam... That's crazy. I know on the G4 in normal mode it is a little more challenging doing a flip or rolls, so kudo's to ya ! Just came in from two flights with the Trex before dark. Its so cool to be able to fly forward now...Much more fun than in the hovering stage, and can't wait to get where your at someday. I'll just keep logging in the hours...lol.. BTW I'am impressed with the woodies, they do good...(I only ever had the CF, and they were the 315mm ones. these woodies are the 325mm and should help me with more stability I think.

Take care,

Jeff
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 PM
PaulG-RC

Thanks Jeff

Woodies are good to I did the same with them too the 325 but now I have the Radix CF main and tail blades also 325 and I must say I see a good difference in stability.

I'm having a good time thats for shure. I had 12 flights with the T-Rex and 2 with my T-Rex Bell 222 today