Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Best balancing charger??

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Best balancing charger??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best balancing charger??

Hey gang, I'm about to pick up a T-Rex 450SE V2, and was wondering if you could steer me towards the best Lipo balancing charger out there? Right now, all I have is a Trito Jr, which I don't feel will be enough for the number of packs I plan on having [:@]

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:07 AM
SansHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best balancing charger??

I have the Hyperion EOS 0606i - brilliant!!

http://www.hyperion-eu.com/

SansHeli
Old 06-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Druss

If you already have a power supply the TP1010C is probably one of, if not the, best chargers out there. Does up to 10C at 10amps, needs a separate balancer like the TP210 and if you're using batteries with align taps you need an adaptor (but that's the same with hyperion). The one thing I don't like about hyperion is that not many batteries use their balance taps, if you race cars with lipo then it's great because maxamps uses them but if you plan on using flightpower or thunderpower batteries then you need TP taps.

If you're budget is smaller, or you never plan on using anything larger than 6C, then the TP610C is great at $130. Comes with a balancer for both Align and TP style taps.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at the Hyperion and liked it, but I REALLY like the Hyperion EOS 0610i 6S Duo. The ability to work w/two batts at a time would be great.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:36 PM
p01rogue

TP- flawless.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:35 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I really like my E-station BC-6
Old 06-15-2008, 06:07 PM
BoysToys

I really like my Hyperion Chargers. I have one 1210i and two 0610i chargers. I have heard great things about the Thunder Power 1010 but I was able to get two 0610is for about what one 1010c and a balnancer would have cost. I have also heard excellent things about the FMA Cellpro4S.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:27 PM
RC David

Question and Answer...

Question... BoysToys, where did you get that DC power distribution strip for your chargers? I've seen a few (and have an MFJ-1116 for my radios) but not a model with those cool lights on each terminal set.

I have a similar set up as you with a Pyramid PHASE III 25A power supply for my 2 Cellpro 4s and 1 Cellpro 10s chargers. THANKS!

Answer... flycfii, I use and love the FMA direct Cellpro chargers. The 4s model (will charge up to 4s packs) is $74.99

Check it out at: http://www.fmadirect.com

Dave D.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM
magimat

hey,

I'm also interested in a new balance charger and I was wondering what would be the best with the following rewuirements:

- I'd like to be able to charge 2x 3S 2200mAh batteries at the same time
- I'd like to be able to plug the charger directly in a 100V outlet at home.

Does such a charger exists? What are the models that do this?

Right now I use the stock align charger that came with my T-Rex 450 se v2 kit. It works fine, but it takes about 2 hours to charge a pack and there is no display at all, so I think it's time for a little update.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:34 PM
magimat

oops, I meant a standard 110V home outlet of course, not 100V
Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: magimat

hey,

I'm also interested in a new balance charger and I was wondering what would be the best with the following requirements:

- I'd like to be able to charge 2x 3S 2200mAh batteries at the same time
I would not recommended charging two separate packs at the same time unless both of the packs are the same brand, voltage, size, age, have the same number of cycles on them and are used together in series or parallel. I can charge two separate packs at once using my 1210i but don't like to do it unless I used the two packs together on my T-Rex 500. It takes forever for them to balance. It is not much faster than just charging the two packs seperately.

ORIGINAL: magimat
- I'd like to be able to plug the charger directly in a 100V outlet at home.

Does such a charger exists? What are the models that do this?
You might want to look into a [link=http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?prod=f_EOS0606i]Hyperion EOS0606I AC/DC [/link] charger or a [link=http://www.bantam301.20m.com/BC-6.htm]Bantam BC-6 AC/DC[/link] charger if you don't want to run a seperate power supply. Beware that these chargers are only rated at 50W total output and that ( Watts = Volts X Amps)

ORIGINAL: RC David

BoysToys, where did you get that DC power distribution strip for your chargers?
I got the power strip from my LHS it is an [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWE5&P=7]Integy 6 Channel[/link] model. Your MFJ strip is most likely much better quality. I really like my [link=http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-4245MV]MFJ 40A Switching Power Supply[/link]. I started with a much smaller Pyramid model and moved up to the MFJ a few months ago.

I also agree that the Cellpro chargers are top of the line. However, I think the 4S will only charge lipos. I still have a bunch of 7 Cell NIMH packs that I use for my RC trucks and the NIMH pack in my DX7 that the Hyperion models are able to charge.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 PM
RC David

Thanks BoysToys!

I have the MFJ-1116 for my radio shack where its primary duty is to run up to 11 radios simultaniously. I use a nice RS35M Astron (http://www.aventrade.com/noname.html) for that. Then there is a 10A Astron in the bedroom for 2-3 more radios.

Then I have a 10A switching Sola Electric that I use to use with several peak chargers for Ni-Cad & NiMh packs when I raced 1/10 and 1/12 scale cars 15 years ago. Finally there is an old Pyramid 25A that I've had for years for general charging.

I'm actually a HAM/radio geek too so those power supplies come in handy.

I like that power strip you have because each outlet is switched (with it's own light). The MFJ's might be a little better quality but I like the Integy for its function. Looks like it's out of stock at Tower until July.

I'll keep my eyes open.

I use a Cellpro 10S for my 6s packs but as you said, it doesn't do NiCad/NiMh.

Dave D.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Andir

I bought a Cellpro4S with my 450SE V2 New Heli. Have charged the included Align battery MANY MANY times and it still works like a charm. No bloating, overheat or any of that fun stuff. Either I got an awesome battery, or an awesome charger. (I'm going to lean toward the charger...)