Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:42 PM
1-TINO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP

Hello.
I want to thank you in advance for any help/advice any of you seasoned flyers can offer.
I recently purchased a brand new TREX 600N PRO. I haven’t had the opportunity to fly it yet. A good friend and very experienced flyer told me to change the gyro and servo that came with the bird because it will for sure crash the first time out. He also added that the gyro will not “hold” (?) the bird (excuse me but doesn’t the gyro simply send the signal to the servo and the servo does the work of “holding” the bird?).
That seems a little disturbing to me as I don’t understand why a company would install an inferior component on their product.
The Gyro in question is a Telebee (550 I think), and the servo is a Futaba 3001.
I look forward to some honest answers as I cannot afford a 401 at this time.
Thank you.
Tino.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 PM
noobflyer01

Default RE: PLEASE HELP

your friend may be right. the telebee is ok for a 450 size electric...but on a trex 600n it will defintely not hold. you'll need a mininum of the gy401 on that bird. dont risk it and wait till you get the gy401.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Edwinssiv

The Telbee may/should hold for basic hovering and basic forward flight. The gyro has to be able to compensate for the rate at which the helicopter moves, turns and be able to turn the tail of the helicopter(piro rate) quickly to keep up with with wind push and more aggressive manuvers...the Telbee is not fast enough to do that on a larger bird. I have one on my Axe CP and it does ok for that, but the tail will still kick out a times which makes recovery lots of fun...[X(]
I would not even attempt hard turns, flips, rolls or loops with it until you upgrade your gyro...

As Noob said...the Futaba 401 is the minimum you should have on this size helicopter....you might even want to consider the JR 770 or the Spartan DS760...from reading and talking to pilots, they are some of the best out there.

Oh...and it is not a matter of the company putting an inferior product on their product...they do it to get the price point down to entice new buyers to buy the product and then upgrade. From everything I have read/seen/experienced this is the case with most of the RTF models and some of the ARTF combo kits on the market. It is the reason I chose to build my own 450 and 500 models. I put what I wanted in to them.

Which Futaba servo are you running on the tail?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Dirt_hawg

WOW...Is this your first heli???????

Watch out for your head partner...
Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 PM
crimsonrain22

Kind of like learning to drive in a 18 wheeler......be carefull and make sure you get some help from a experienced heli guy. A heli that size can kill you or others.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:38 PM
rc10truck

Hi all,
I am a newbie to this rc gas powered stuff, I have a rc 10 nitro truck and I can get it started but cannot keep it running can anyone help me here this seems to be frustrating I want to be able to drive my truck and play lol I cant get it running and keep it running do you all know where I should start ? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 PM
rzarikian

this is a helicopter forum... not for cars
Old 09-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Phelansa

ORIGINAL: rc10truck

Hi all,
I am a newbie to this rc gas powered stuff, I have a rc 10 nitro truck and I can get it started but cannot keep it running can anyone help me here this seems to be frustrating I want to be able to drive my truck and play lol I cant get it running and keep it running do you all know where I should start ? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Click on this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_160/tt.htm]here link.[/link] That will take you to the Monster Truck Forum. Start a new thread there. They will be able to help you much better than the Heli Guys on this specific thread.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 AM
1-TINO

Hey Fellas.
All the servos are the same.
I will be getting a 401 with servo but I am a little confused.
A lot of places are offering as many as three different Futaba servos.
a 9254, 9257, 9650 and 3500.
I'm sure there is a difference, what do you reccomend?
Tino.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Missileman

9254 for the 600 size heli. It is a standard size servo. 9257 and 9650 are physically too small for the servo mount and I am not familiar with the 3500.
I should mention, the 9254 does not like to run on a 6 volt system. If you have a 6 volt receiver pack you will need a regulator or different servo. I run 4.8 volt packs on my nitro machines.
Also, I assume you have 3001 servos on the cyclic as well. You will eventually want to upgrade those but they will be fine for learning the basics.
I can't believe Align would set this heli up that way. I would think it was probably a retailer that built and equiped this heli.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 AM
1-TINO

Yes Missileman, you are right.
A retailer built the bird.
I am now learning that I made a mistake purchasing it directly from China! Never again!!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Edwinssiv

Tino-
I would go with the 9254 with a voltage step down voltage regulator to 5v($7). It is a fast strong servo and will keep that tail locked in!
The 3001's are a little slow for your cyclic....they will work for learning and basics. I would definately upgrade them as soon as you can afford to. Save your $ up and put something nice into this heli...you will be happy in the end with faster servos, it makes controling the helicopter much easier.

Missleman- Look at the price of the 3001's. They are $20 of course someone is going to put them on there...they are the very bare minimum you could get away with to fly a heli of this size and they are very inexpensive! As I said before...from everything I have seen most of the RTF and some of the ARTF are set up to the very basic minimum to get the heli in the air...they sell these packages to unsuspecting people who are new to the hobby and they end up spending tons more to get the heli to fly right.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 AM
1-TINO

Thank you very much for all the great information guys.
I truly appreciate it.
Tino.