Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trex 450 rudder servo

Just bought my first helicopter after flying CX2 for two months(junk). I also have G4 simulator which I have not used due to computer issue so I'm in a process of upgrading the computer. I wouldn't dare to fly it until I spend time on the SIM.

Question:
    Will Futaba GY401 w/ S9254 work without any issues?

I bought a package deal Trex 450 SE V2 (KX015043TA) combo version (430XL motor, speed controller 35X, 325 carbon blades, Align lipo), Spektrum DX7 w/6100, 3 Hitec 65HB, Futaba GY401 w/ S9254.
    Thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Trex 450 rudder servo

wow. nice package!. the 9254 is a bit too big for the trex450. that's a full size servo. that servo will work great on a 600 trex. go with the 9650 or 9257 for tail on the trex450. i'm not sure of they even have tail servo mounts for the 9254 on a rex450.

the hs65hb is good cyclic servos. only problem is that they strip in a crash. get the metal gear version (hs65mg) and your setup would be rock solid.
    Trex 550e FBL - Scorpion 4025-1100kv -18T , CC ICE100, CC bec pro, Mikado Mini-Vstabi , DS610 cyclic, DS650 on tail.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can wait and upgrade the gearset in those hs65 servos later. They will hold up fine until your first crash. The metal replacement gears are about $10 a set.
    I agree that the 9254 is too big for the 450. Perhaps you can trade it in at your LHS or sell it on Ebay or something.
    I have a Futaba s9650 on my tail.
    Comments by author are not to be confused with the truth, past or present.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 9254 will work fine. I just set up my neighbors trex 450 sa and he had one....yes it's larger, but it works fine. The 9257 would be the better choice however.

Skarn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

9254 is a big sucker. I know a couple of guys who run them no problems but I would guess that it'll give some COG problems and your batt will have to be way forward. I am running the JR DS3400g on mine. It is superb! Smaller than the futabas and holds the tail rock solid.
    Rules are made for people who aren\'\'\'\'t willing to make up their own....Chuck Yeager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you buy the gyro and servo as a combo? I originally did and when I realized the servo that came with the 401 was too big I just took it back to my LHS. Payed about $220 for the combo. You can get your money back, buy the gyro alone for about $140( these prices are at my LHS), leaves you about $80 for a good digital tail servo like a JR3400G or 3500G. You end up paying about the same as the combo.
    T-Rex 450 SEV2, T-Rex 600nitro Pro, T-Rex 500 GF, Hirobo SDX, T-Rex 450 SE night rig, T-Rex 450 SA scale Hughes 500D Defender

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for the replies. It is very helpful!
    yes, I bought the gyro and servo combo. I'm thinking about buying another gyro/servo package ( 401 with 9257 ) and save this one for my next heli (hopefully 600N). Or should I just buy 9257 and share the gyro between the two? or do you recommend complete set up for each heli except the transmitter?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It would be a real pain switching gyros around. I didn't know you could get a 401 combo with the 9257 servo. Thought they only came with the full size servos. Anyway, if you can get it with a micro servo, go for it.
    T-Rex 450 SEV2, T-Rex 600nitro Pro, T-Rex 500 GF, Hirobo SDX, T-Rex 450 SE night rig, T-Rex 450 SA scale Hughes 500D Defender

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

try to trade it for a 9650 very nice combo though, just as mine except for the tail servo (I use a 9650) I would suggest you change the servo gears to MG if you crash, but don't change all of them, just replace the ones that broke, usually the two larger ones (that's what I did) I've noticed the servos to be a bit more precise because the play is reduced by the MG. go figure
    a landing where you can taxi out is a GOOD landing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There really is nothing wrong with using the 9254 since you already have it! As stated, I just set up my neighbors TREX 450 this weekend and it flies beautifully!

Skarn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys. I will upgrade to 65MG with the kit as needed basis. I'll take Skarn's advice on the servo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I take a different tact.
    Will the 9254 work, has it been done? Yes
    Does it add anything extra that the 9650 or 9257 doesn't provide aside from extra weight and dificulty mounting? No
    If you have to use it, use it. If you have a choice go with something that is a better fit.
    Truth be told the T-Rex was really designed for an even smaller tail servo than the 9650, my first 2 had HS55 and Tower Pro 9G respectively and I had to actually buy an aftermarket mount to fit the servo upgrade.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Missleman...I don't think you are taking a different tact at all.

I agree with you that if I were to buy now, I wouldn't buy a 9254 for a trex 450...I'd get the 9257....I use a 9650 now.

But given the fact he already has it...I was simply stating it will work fine.

Skarn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 9257 is simply awesome! Turned an inexpensive gyro into a real performer.
    Tail motors? We don't need no stinking tail Motors! MCPX, Protos 500s, Caliber 30, Stinger 50

Guys I got a S9650 for the tail is that a good servo or should I use something else. Thanks steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 69 roadrunner

Guys I got a S9650 for the tail is that a good servo or should I use something else. Thanks steve
    No don't get anything else, that servo along with a 401 makes an awesome combo for a 450. I think that's possibly the most used combination.
    a landing where you can taxi out is a GOOD landing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rzarikian

ORIGINAL: 69 roadrunner

No don't get anything else, that servo along with a 401 makes an awesome combo for a 450. I think that's possibly the most used combination.
    I have a 9650 on mine along with the 401 gyro, great combo, you will be happy with it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bringing a post back from the dead, but... I have a 9257 I want to put on the tail of my 450. Do you need to change the pushrod? It seems no matter where I move the gyro, the pushrod is too long to allow servo to center at 90 degrees to the rod.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you can bend the tail push rod, if it is not made of carbon, but steel, my GF is steel, I bent it to fit my 9257. Working no difference