Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

GOOD LIPOS TO BUY???

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

GOOD LIPOS TO BUY???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GOOD LIPOS TO BUY???

Wait till you get a Trex 600 Those pack will punch a whole in the old CC
Old 04-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Skarn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great call thatguy!

Out of curiosity, where did you see packs for $185??? I don't think there are any that expensive for the Trex 450.

Skarn
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
BoysToys

ORIGINAL: ThAt GuY120

Well guys thanks for the input, I can tell u this one thing for sure and that is I won't spend $185 on a pack that's insane! About $80 to $90 on a pack is my maximum that I want to spend. L
Those packs were not for a 450. They were 6S 2500 packs for a T-Rex 500. If you think that is bad, try pricing the Outrage 8S 25C 3700mah packs I use in my T-Rex 600.

Anyway, lately I have also been using the Zippy packs from HobbyCity. They have been working fine and have about 50 cycles each on them. I have a Scorpion HK-2221-10 3000kv motor that has been sitting on the shelf waiting to go into my 450 for about a month. I will be switching to 4S when I mount up this motor and plan on running Outrage 25C 4S 1800mah packs. That project will have to wait a bit longer though. I am currently finishing up my brand new T-Rex 700. I will however be running an Outrage 2C 3600mah receiver pack on it to power all the electronics.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 PM
no hesitation

ORIGINAL: Skarn

No hesitation, you need to chill bro!

No one is promoting any product....he was simply saying that there are actually cheap lipo's out there that are good! And many of us are agreeing, that the cheap zippy's are very good....it's not always true that "there's a reason they cost less" means they are inferior as you imply.

And I'd love to see your evidence since you claim "yes they can burn while being stored'.
The ONLY time I've ever seen a lipo fire in a video, it was either caused on purpose of from overcharging. Even in the vid you post he purposely caused it to happen!

Even the cheap inferior lipo's are not dangerous, they simply don't last as long and have less punch.

Oh and your threat to the guy not only shows your maturity level, but it's quite ridiculous!

Can't we all have a friendly post without someone getting all bent out of shape? Man....

Skarn
Sure we can have friendly area to post as long as guys like you don't keep calling people ridiculous and lacking of maturity for no good reason. Good chargers have a storage setting...charges the battery to about 50%...so there is less chance for it to blow up. Since you were so forthcoming of your opinions of me Heres one of mine about you: You really need to learn how to mind your own business.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 PM
u)

Great call thatguy!

Out of curiosity, where did you see packs for $185??? I don't think there are any that expensive for the Trex 450.

Skarn

Great call on what??? The charger or not spending $185 on a Pack??? LOL
Old 04-08-2009, 12:11 AM
u)

would this be a correct pack for my Trex 450 ???................................... http://www.outragerc.com/home/detail...roduct&iPro=81 It doesn't mention the voltage any where im assuming its 11.1v

Thanks again

Also, I understand the "3s1p" series and parrallel garbage but whats the difference between the 25c and 30c and so on ratings???
Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Cleared2Engage

The amount of amps the battery can push out on discharge
Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: no hesitation

No hesitation, you need to chill bro!

No one is promoting any product....he was simply saying that there are actually cheap lipo's out there that are good! And many of us are agreeing, that the cheap zippy's are very good....it's not always true that "there's a reason they cost less" means they are inferior as you imply.

And I'd love to see your evidence since you claim "yes they can burn while being stored'.
The ONLY time I've ever seen a lipo fire in a video, it was either caused on purpose of from overcharging. Even in the vid you post he purposely caused it to happen!

Even the cheap inferior lipo's are not dangerous, they simply don't last as long and have less punch.

Oh and your threat to the guy not only shows your maturity level, but it's quite ridiculous!

Can't we all have a friendly post without someone getting all bent out of shape? Man....

Skarn
Sure we can have friendly area to post as long as guys like you don't keep calling people ridiculous and lacking of maturity for no good reason. Good chargers have a storage setting...charges the battery to about 50%...so there is less chance for it to blow up. Since you were so forthcoming of your opinions of me Heres one of mine about you: You really need to learn how to mind your own business.

Wow sorry bro but you really don't understand lipo's. The storage mode feature is NOT to prevent them from blowing up! LOL, it's to preserve the life of the battery....
And yes I had a great reason to say you lacked maturity....remember your idle threat? And it is my business when you give bad advice....

LOL, ok like the others, I'm done responding to you. Have a great day....
Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 AM
u)

ORIGINAL: Cleared2Engage

The amount of amps the battery can push out on discharge
So the higher the "c" rating the more "punch" a pack will have ....
Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Cleared2Engage

Pretty much
Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
twwest
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, after reading this thread , I NEED SOME DECAF
Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 PM
swashplate

Funny thing most people don't know is that many "name brand" vendors just buy their products from "generic sellers" and put a sticker on them that says their name. It is then incumbent upon the "generic seller" to maintain extremely high quality standards as they have large numbers of high volume sales accounts whom they do not want to displease, lest they loose market share for there "generic" product. Thus many generic products are higher quality than name brands as they have fewer marketing costs and are more focused manufacturing. Who knew?
This is of course not true in every case or every product, but doing ones homework can pay off big time when it comes to buying retail or wholesale.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Please lets keep the tread on the subject of batteries. Take breath and think before you post and most importantly, keep it about the subject, not the other people posting.

There's useful information in this thread so I really don't want to have to lock it or remove it.

In my experience, I've seen lipos burn both post crash (before being charged) and as a result of over discharging. They don't go off like a hand grenade, they burn very much like a road flare, nothing I'd want in my living room for sure!

Funny story to give everyone a laugh.

My first LiPo my hands were shaking while soldering it, I've dealt with live ordinance that didn't spook me like dealing with 3 cell Lipos! Anyhow, I soldered it up, put it on the charger and hung out in the garage doing other stuff for about 15 or 20 minutes, it seemed like it was doing it's thing so I went inside for a while, I walked past the laundry room (where the enterance to the garage is) and smelled smoke. Uhhht oh....

I opened the door to the garage and the entire garage was full of smoke.......(bear in mind, this is my wifes house, I became part owner when I married her so I thought I was burning my wifes house down)

As the steps of evactuting the house and dealing with a burning metal fire ran through my mind, along with getting killed by my wife.....

I came to realize the next door neighbor lit a pile of wet leaves on fire, the wind blew the smoke into my garage and laundry room. The Lipo was just as I left it, happily charging and oblivious to the smoke. I think I took about 5 years off my life from the scare!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
twwest
My Feedback: (1)

Ok, sorry about that post BH
Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 AM
jkovar

Not going to get into the drama....

I will throw another vote for the zippy packs though. I have 5 of them for my 500 and they work AWESOME!!! 50$ a pack and I am getting 7 minute flights and putting 80% back in on a 3000 MA 20c pack. My flying style is mild flying/sport flying. The batteries are slightly warm after each flight.

I purchased them through hobbycity and received them in 5 days from the time the order was placed!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought 2 zippy's from hk for my 450. They work great, lot's of power and 60 usd for 2 .. Can't beat that. Overall very pleased. The only time I damaged any lipos,it was my own fault. Mostly due to either crashes or a poor charger. Once I got my cellpro I haven't damaged one yet

Regards,

Dan
Old 04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
jdeters79

I purchased a Zippy pack about 2 weeks ago now. Still haven't received it. I see one post claiming they received the battery in 5 days, anyone else have problems with long delivery times from Hobbycity (HobbyKing)?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:41 AM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

ThunderPower Pro Power 30C packs, done deal, or wait for the 40C packs coming shortly. I run the 30's and they are nuts
Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
rc-fans88

Maxforce 11.1v 2200mah 25C battery good for Trex 450 helicopter.