Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Question about Blade Weight?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Question about Blade Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Beachcomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Blade Weight?

I've been looking for 325 mm blades for my new Clone 450 and notice quite a large difference in the weight of the blades available. I've seen blades ranging in weight from aprox 22 grams per blade to as high as 32 grams per blade. Remember I'm a beginner so looking to make hovering and very basic maneuvers as easy as possible.

What effect do heavier blades have (assuming they are matched and close to the same weight)? Would it make the heli more forgiving for beginners, or less forgiving?

What effect do lighter blades have? Would that be better for sport and aggressive flying?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
ace22459

Default RE: Question about Blade Weight?

Some of the best blades you can use for learning on are the Align 325 Pro wood blades. Don't use the Align 325 fiber or fiberglass blades. They're junk. Stick with the woodies until you're not crashing all the time and then you might want to try some carbon fiber blades. Weight isn't important when your learning, but a lighter blade will give you slightly more flight time. Actually, you don't buy blades by weight like you might with flybar paddles. While it's true some weigh more than others, once you get into CF blades, they are all pretty light compared to wood and have a narrower profile which helps reduce drag and will give higher head speeds and longer flight times. Most people just try several brands and decide which ones work best for them. I guess a heavy blade would make the heli more stable, but they suck more power too. A 335mm blade will help with stability as will heavy paddles and flybar weights. Also, keep in mind that the CF blades are going to be fairly expensive compared to wood. There are some cheap CF blades available but those will be on the heavier side and the balance may be way off. HeliDirect sells some CF blades called Pro 3D that I use on my 450. They are only about $2 bucks more than the Align woodies and are good blades for learning as they are a little heavier than the big name brand blades. I have never had a problem with them balancing. But until you're ready to do some extreme flying they work just fine. Alan
Old 08-16-2009, 02:16 PM
mcdaniel

Align 325 Pro wood blades.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Beachcomber

So, if heavier blades make the heli more stable, then that would be good for a beginner? I'm more interested in avoiding crashes than in maximizing flight time or performance.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:28 PM
ace22459

I really don't think there is enough difference in weight to notice. What you can do is use a longer blade, like 335mm. Also, a longer flybar (220mm) and flybar weights will add to the stability. Heavier paddles will also help. Really, the best blade for learning with would be the 325 Pro woodies. I think 99.9% of every heli pilot used them for learning. Alan