Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

n00b NEEDS advice on WTG for trex 500 stuff

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

n00b NEEDS advice on WTG for trex 500 stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
HeliChristo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: n00b NEEDS advice on WTG for trex 500 stuff

UPDATE:

Ok - took apart the main head upper assembly then greased and installed that feathering sleeve.

Installed landing gear, finished rear boom & torque tube stuff. Attached rear servo, but have not done the setup yet of rear servo - that is next.

I will pin the boom next as well. I am so CLOSE to being done I can taste it! *HA! LOL This is fun. I just wish I had more free time in contiguous blocks to dedicate to this FUN and learning experience!

I will then attach the main motor - and the electronics. 

- So Close Christo
Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 AM
dunkonu23

Cool! It's fun to build, isn't it?

Scott
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
HeliChristo

UPDATE:

I realize I hate soldering!! LOL -  I need a better iron I think. Ruined 3 XT60 tips, poopy, I thought the metal soldering should melt BEFORE the plastic plugs do!? *HA/HA  ;-)

So I made 2 patch cords (Deans FeMale to XT60 Male) to charge my Lipo Flightmax 2200 6s 40C/50C batteries - which leads me into my questions...

CHARGING settings - I can't seem to find ANY firm information on what to set the charger to. I get the voltage setting, easy 22.2V, 6 cell, easy enough, but what do I use as the AMP rate? Is there a chart somewhere? Can one set it to low, to high? Is there a rule of thumb? I saw a video where one suggestion was 1 AMP for every 1000mAh.

PS: my fingers are sore!

TIA for any help and info on my queries.

- Christo
Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 AM
HeliChristo

UPDATE:

Finished!! Well sorta...

I still need to pin the boom, and I need to tuck and secure wires. Any advice on where to run wires and best methods for securing them?

I went through the process of setting up pitch and throttle curves, and all the adjustments that Finless suggested earlier on in the video series.

I was able to ramp her up at about 1/4 stick to 1/2, she seems nice and smooth, started to get a little tail wag, so I need to tweak. I am sure it is gyro related - I noticed as soon as I gave a little rudder and let go, it stopped, I think it has something to do with that 8% rear rotor pitch that Finless suggested.

I can't wait for her maiden flight!!! I will have to wait until the weather turns, as we are still getting snow! I am bidding on a Trex 600 now, ready for the next challenge!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 AM
HeliChristo

Viola!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86694.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1388324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30734.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1388325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71388.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1388326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94973.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1388327  
Old 02-28-2010, 02:03 AM
dunkonu23

ORIGINAL: HeliChristo

UPDATE:

I realize I hate soldering!! LOL - I need a better iron I think. Ruined 3 XT60 tips, poopy, I thought the metal soldering should melt BEFORE the plastic plugs do!? *HA/HA ;-)

So I made 2 patch cords (Deans FeMale to XT60 Male) to charge my Lipo Flightmax 2200 6s 40C/50C batteries - which leads me into my questions...

CHARGING settings - I can't seem to find ANY firm information on what to set the charger to. I get the voltage setting, easy 22.2V, 6 cell, easy enough, but what do I use as the AMP rate? Is there a chart somewhere? Can one set it to low, to high? Is there a rule of thumb? I saw a video where one suggestion was 1 AMP for every 1000mAh.

PS: my fingers are sore!

TIA for any help and info on my queries.

- Christo
I don't know how your charger is programmed so I'm gonna give you general advice...

Charge current does depend on your battery capacity as you have surmised. But, ever since fast charge batteries came out, (Hyperion, Thunderpower, NRG, etc.) you can actually charge at currents above 1C. But, I digress.... Charge rate in general goes with capacity unless your battery states otherwise. For example, a 2200 capacity battery at 1C rate will charge at 2.2amps. As far as the voltage goes... 6C packs are full at 25.2 volts... so if you have that setting set it. If not, set it at 22.2 volts.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the delay in responding. I saw your other post!

Scott
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 AM
ace22459

I don't know if you found anything out about charging yet, but most everyone will tell you don't charge over 1C. That is 1 times the packs capacity. If you are running 2200 mAh packs, then 1C would be 2.2 amps. Some say that you can charge at 2, 3 or even 5 times the packs capacity, but that could shorten the life of the packs. Again, some packs are advertised as being able to be charged at the higher rates, but it is always safer to go with the 1C limit. There are even those who charge at LESS than 1C. The only thing you will gain by charging at higher rates is a shorter charge time and you might damage the packs in the process.

Alan
Old 02-28-2010, 02:07 PM
HeliChristo

I don't know if you found anything out about charging yet, but most everyone will tell you don't charge over 1C. That is 1 times the packs capacity. If you are running 2200 mAh packs, then 1C would be 2.2 amps. Some say that you can charge at 2, 3 or even 5 times the packs capacity, but that could shorten the life of the packs. Again, some packs are advertised as being able to be charged at the higher rates, but it is always safer to go with the 1C limit. There are even those who charge at LESS than 1C. The only thing you will gain by charging at higher rates is a shorter charge time and you might damage the packs in the process.
I don't know how your charger is programmed so I'm gonna give you general advice...Charge current does depend on yourbatterycapacity as you have surmised. But, ever since fast charge batteries came out, (Hyperion, Thunderpower, NRG, etc.) you can actually charge at currents above 1C. But, I digress.... Charge rate in general goes with capacity unless your battery states otherwise. For example, a 2200 capacity battery at 1C rate will charge at 2.2amps. As far as the voltage goes... 6C packs are full at 25.2 volts... so if you have that setting set it. If not, set it at 22.2 volts.[img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s49.gif[/img]
Scott and Alan - THANK YOU for responding! Much appreciated.
You both are correct, as I dug, and dug, and dug, and THEN it happened, some batteries arrived for my Blade 400, and finally a batt pack that CAME with some instructions! (think large choir singing hallelujah!):
So I scanned them in as PDF, hope they come in handy! This set of instructions basically collaborates what you two gents suggested!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ig12644.pdf (222.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
HeliChristo

I like the stuff that n00bflyer used to wrap his wires in. But I was lazy and cheap so I decided to hide my within the frame. But I still want to wrap the wires that are exposed with the same stuff n00b used, so I will be buying some of that stuff today - just gotta find those links he posted.

So today I was pretty much all done... so I thought! Yeah I pulled a boner I guess. I was revving up the heli to see if my adjustments paid off - to small a room I guess, some backwash moved the heli, I corrected and the rear rotors tapped the tile floor. So I messed up the rear blades and somehow stripped the servo gears. I took the rear servo apart and ordered new gear guts, I also ordered a new servo anyway. So I have not even taken it out yet and I have already caused some minor damage! LOL

Enjoy some pictures of the wiring job. Let me know if anyone sees any danger areas or gotchas.

PS: Note that tail boom pin! :-) - Thanks n00bflyer!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38274.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1388601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70519.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1388602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22803.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1388603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51943.jpg
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1388604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15618.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	1388605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59123.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1388606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su35747.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1388607  
Old 02-28-2010, 02:45 PM
HeliChristo

1st Movie of the new bird - just doing a quick and dirty test of the mechanics.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:01 PM
dunkonu23

Okay... here's a suggestion that came from me ruining three servos the first time I had to pull the tail gear box... BE CAREFUL. The way you have your servo wires run makes them candidates to have their insulation stripped and/or broken when you have to pull the tail gear box. It will happen when you spread the frames to disengage the thumbs that go through the frame. A wire or two will drop as you spread the frame and the you'll strip the wires. It happens, so I thought I d give you a heads up. I had mine all nicely tie wrapped inside and in less than a minute they were all stripped. It may have been just me. Also, if you use tie wraps, don't pull hard on them to tighten. The edge of the tie wrap will cut into the insulation as well. Ikeep mine relatively loose.

Other than that great job! Can't wait to see it fly!

Scott
Old 02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
noobflyer01

Looking good Christo.  Let us know how the maiden goes.   I have all my wires in a braid which helps protect it.

Your heli looks great!  cant wait to hear your report.

http://www.helidirect.com/new-servo-...lue-p-6136.hdx

Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 PM
HeliChristo

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

Looking good Christo. Let us know how the maiden goes. I have all my wires in a braid which helps protect it.

Your heli looks great! cant wait to hear your report.

http://www.helidirect.com/new-servo-...lue-p-6136.hdx

Perfect - Thank You! I ordered them today, got a couple of colors - thinking ahead for the 600 on its way!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 AM
HeliChristo

ORIGINAL: dunkonu23

Okay... here's a suggestion that came from me ruining three servos the first time I had to pull the tail gear box... BE CAREFUL. The way you have your servo wires run makes them candidates to have their insulation stripped and/or broken when you have to pull the tail gear box. It will happen when you spread the frames to disengage the thumbs that go through the frame. A wire or two will drop as you spread the frame and the you'll strip the wires. It happens, so I thought I d give you a heads up. I had mine all nicely tie wrapped inside and in less than a minute they were all stripped. It may have been just me. Also, if you use tie wraps, don't pull hard on them to tighten. The edge of the tie wrap will cut into the insulation as well. Ikeep mine relatively loose.

Other than that great job! Can't wait to see it fly!

Scott
Scott - thanks for the heads up!

I thought of the tie tightness as well - was cautious on those, plus I want to put some coverings on my wires like n00b did.

I will be careful when I pull that case - good eye. It seems I spent like 2 hours trying everything with those wires LOL - no matter what or where, there is potential danger. Either you have them on the outside - then dealing with that look, or the dangers of crashing and having them stripped and cut, or inside the cage and dealing with it when you repair and have to take things apart. I decided on the inside since a repair is something I can control. I plan on wrapping them, so that should help.

Yeah I can't wait to see it fly either! I need to find an experienced pilot to put it through its paces, make sure I set it up correctly.

Thanks for looking out for me, appreciated!

- Christo

Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 AM
dunkonu23

You're welcome, Christo...

If Ihad done what T did with his servo wires... well, it would have been better protected. Funny thing is, I bought braid to go over the wires, but Iwas too lazy and didn't take the time to pull the connectors and heat shrink.. oh, well.

Good luck, sir!

Scott
Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 PM
HeliChristo

This weekend, doing the n00b thang - covering wires with pretties.
So I messed up -  Replacing rear rotor blades that I destroyed testing mechanics, replacing rear servo too, moving from Futaba to Align DS520 metal gears, I am destructo.

600 OTW - can't wait.

Spring is almost here, can't wait to fly!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 PM
dunkonu23

Sounds cool! Bad about the tail setup, though... The 520 should do well.

Idunno about 600's, but check with Baurwin. He's just built one and knows his stuff!

Scott
Old 03-09-2010, 12:32 AM
HeliChristo

Trex 500 Done. Weather might cooperate - I smell test flight! I was hoping someone might allow me to converse verbally some questions I have in setting up the Tx, pitch curves, and modes? If you are willing to spare 30 mins, I would REALLY appreciate it, thanks!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 AM
noobflyer01

I'm heading to work now Christo but I'll be glad to help you when I'm off of work in the morning.  Pm me your phone # and the best time to call.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
HeliChristo

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

I'm heading to work now Christo but I'll be glad to help you when I'm off of work in the morning. Pm me your phone # and the best time to call.

Perfect - thanks!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
hollywood54

HeliChristo, I was wondering if you got to fly your 500. If so how do you like it??
Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
HeliChristo

ORIGINAL: hollywood54

HeliChristo, I was wondering if you got to fly your 500. If so how do you like it??
Hollywood,
I did not get a chance to fly it yet. The weather here is not being cooperative at all! I did jump it a few times in the garage. I just finished it this weekend as well. I wish I could give you more intel - I know that n00bflyer anddunkonu23 love theirs!

BTW - building one of these is half the fun, and I would recommend as a must! It REALLY helps you understand the mechanics which comes in handy when setting it up to fly and troubleshooting.
- Christo

Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
hollywood54

Well i love mine also, it's a nice bird.I started with it tame and how ready to ramp it up. Oh yeah let there be Spring. It been raining for 4 days here in new england. The good new's is tomorrow nice and sunny and 58 59 the rest of the week...................
Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
noobflyer01

the winds around here has been crazy for me as well Christo.    here's a short vid of yesterday on my hk pro 450.   winds must of been over 20mph. [&:]   flying in this much wind is not so fun on the 450.  

Once you become acclimated with your 500. You'll find that it can handle the wind with ease. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TI3EkSFVRY[/youtube]
Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM
hollywood54

Hey Tuan ! Looking good dude and did i see a tic toc ?? Yeah you really need to fly your 500 more and post some video..........................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.