RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   T-Rex heli (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/)
-   -   HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/11198904-hk-450gt-ccpm-alloy-t-rex-compatible-part-iii.html)

rikybob 09-30-2012 02:48 AM

RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

So's I get up and the weatherman actually says "For the next three days, you are going to be a "House Hostage". This is a conspiracy to prevent me from flying! Generally it doesn't rain in the morning though so will see!

Good luck Koz on the lazy 4!

b

ahamay 09-30-2012 02:51 AM

ORIGINAL: rikybob
So's I get up and the weatherman actually says "For the next three days, you are going to be a "House Hostage". This is a conspiracy to prevent me from flying! Generally it doesn't rain in the morning though so will see!
b
Phoenix and some blather... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif

rikybob 09-30-2012 03:27 AM

ORIGINAL: ahamay

So's I get up and the weatherman actually says ''For the next three days, you are going to be a ''House Hostage''. This is a conspiracy to prevent me from flying! Generally it doesn't rain in the morning though so will see!
b
Phoenix and some blather... [img][/img]

That actually may be an option. I need to see if it still works! Haven't played with it in a year!

b

ingleburn 09-30-2012 03:07 PM

b
Sure it wasnt wifey and not the weatherman.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/lol.gif

Took both mine out this morning and both have problems.

The GT with the Hobbymate gyro was pretty good once I dialled down the control behaviour (similar to agility on ZYX) and raised the tail gains.
Hovered great, no blow out on pitch pumps and tail stops were fine. Once I started doing circuits things changed.
The dreaded right turn bug reappeared and Im pretty sure it was the belt slipping this time. Other than that flew fine until I came in to hot on landing and gave it a good bump.
Its got a wobble now so must have bent a tail shaft or maybe a main or feathering shaft so will go over it and see.

The pro still had the wobbles even after replacing the main shaft so dialled the gains down to 35 and all good. Brian watch those 415's because after 10 flights mine have more slop than a *************http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/48_48.gif
Think thats the reason I had to lower the gains as the first few flights it was great with them on 40. Other than that it was fine and flew a few packs. Love the pro, flys so much better than the GT.

Anyway a public holiday here today so might get some more stick time in and hope you all are doing the same.

<br type="_moz" />

hugj 09-30-2012 04:46 PM

Update on 550 went to local hobby shop, got bearings and such rebuilt tail, then Bryan called and TJ had a whole tail box! I got it from him.
  Used the rebuild tail went to take off and still had the dreaded tail wag just like the beastx was haveing a heartattack?????
Doing some reading and trying to figure out wth. is happing. I decided to set it up mecanicaly the way I have set all the rest that had the beast on them. Of course it was raining by then so a quick test on the front porch roughly 10 ft by 25. I think I have it scared!!!
Close quarters too I think it new i was scared! When the rain lets up in the next three days I will see if my brain was right or if it was as usaual just a brain fart!
   Hugh

ahamay 09-30-2012 10:46 PM

Seeing as the weather is pretty bad for heli flying here at the moment, I decided to spend some time on my HPI Savage Monster truck. I was a bit angry with myself when Ifound out last week the engine had locked up due to lapsed maintenance. I try and put a few drops of oil in the engine every few months and turn it over but I guess it wasn't enough. Anyway, Ifreed it up as it wasn't that bad. It fired up first pull so all good.

When Iwas racing Iwas using 30-40% Nitro but I was a tightass and only got 20% to play around with so it needed some tuning. Had to lean out the high speed needle and richen up the low speed...got it running pretty good. It started raining so Ihad to bail.

I never want to have a nitro engine in a heli that's for sure. I did a bit of a viddy with the #16 cam, sorry it's a bit chopped up as I was just tuning it in between the rain showers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jqwCrDNn-Q[/youtube]

rikybob 10-01-2012 04:00 AM

@ Hugh - Yah, firing up, what amounts to, an untested mid evil killing machine in close quarters is poorly advised. Good reasoning to wait til clear Wx!

@ Jonesy - Cool viddy, I seem to be slowly growing bored with my hobby after nearly 5 years. Dunno if it's a "spell" or what and I look at boats, cars, trucks and the like and have to imagine that I would grow bored in short order there too! A quick look up of your truck finds that the nitro version locally is just around 400USD WITHOUT any "blinging"! 250USD if you want to go with the less messy Lipo propulsion! WOW!

Looks like it would be fun for a bit though!

@ All - Waking up and having my tea. Ingleburn, yer prolly at least a little right about home and wifey! She contracted my lower GI misery and sat idle over the weekend. I'm still suffering lingering effects of the "Lurgy" as well! I think I will mill around the house, do chores and get the HK450GT T/T up and running as I basically have to do a software check on the cyclics and re installation of the mains. I DID have something ODD happen. When I was bench testing the rig, the motor spun up, in throttle hold and for fun I tried all switches on the tx to see if it fazed it and NOTHING. Using the "Orange" and the satellite. Hmmmmmmm, never had that happen before.

I un plugged and re plugged and all was well. creeped me out!

All the best!

b

ahamay 10-01-2012 04:31 AM

@ Jonesy - Cool viddy, I seem to be slowly growing bored with my hobby after nearly 5 years. Dunno if it's a "spell" or what and I look at boats, cars, trucks and the like and have to imagine that I would grow bored in short order there too! A quick look up of your truck finds that the nitro version locally is just around 400USD WITHOUT any "blinging"! 250USD if you want to go with the less messy Lipo propulsion! WOW!
b
I hear ya.... the standard kit and the truck I raced was very different as the wallet opened a lot. The biggest killer for me was the fuel, engines and the multiple sets of beadlock rims with different tyres for the different tracks. I maintained two in race spec with different shock setups (oil weights etc). Working close with a v8supercar team for so many years helped me with suspension setup etc.

The cars and trucks can get boring if your just bashing around all the time. If I wasn't racing and doing setups for jumps etc I would be bored and would probably have given it up. There's something about lining up 20 monster trucks and racing to the first corner (and surviving).... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif

There is a lot more skill involved with flying a heli and doing 3d etc which is why Ifeel challenged and strive to succeed at it. I also love (on a good day) than you can bring your helis home, wipe the bug guts off your blades, give it the once over and a bit of oil love and your done. Not so with nitro, the oil smell and muck is over everything and you can't get rid of the smell. The oil gets all over your trucks and the dust sticks to it like a magnet. Im loving the electric helis for this reason.

I think if your not being challenged at something then you'll get bored with it....so c'mon Brian let see some inverted on that mcpx http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

PS - 34 weeks in a few days....I'm getting in as much stick time as Ican lol

Jonesy

sgbfly 10-01-2012 04:43 AM

Seeing as the weather is pretty bad for heli flying here at the moment, I decided to spend some time on my HPI Savage Monster truck. I was a bit angry with myself when Ifound out last week the engine had locked up due to lapsed maintenance. I try and put a few drops of oil in the engine every few months and turn it over but I guess it wasn't enough. Anyway, Ifreed it up as it wasn't that bad. It fired up first pull so all good.

When Iwas racing Iwas using 30-40% Nitro but I was a tightass and only got 20% to play around with so it needed some tuning. Had to lean out the high speed needle and richen up the low speed...got it running pretty good. It started raining so Ihad to bail.

I never want to have a nitro engine in a heli that's for sure. I did a bit of a viddy with the #16 cam, sorry it's a bit chopped up as I was just tuning it in between the rain showers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jqwCrDNn-Q

Hi Jonsey,

I enjoyed that break from our regular programme!

I was also too tight to buy anything more than 1L of 20%. Lol, how I now wish I'd bought a gallon!

(Comments on YT)

Simonhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif
<br type="_moz" />

sgbfly 10-01-2012 04:45 AM

..so c'mon Brian let see some inverted on that mcpx http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Jonesy
ROFL, more chance of a white Christmas in Orlandohttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bananahead.gif

Shttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif<br type="_moz" />

rikybob 10-01-2012 04:49 AM

@ Jonesy - Cool viddy, I seem to be slowly growing bored with my hobby after nearly 5 years. Dunno if it's a ''spell'' or what and I look at boats, cars, trucks and the like and have to imagine that I would grow bored in short order there too! A quick look up of your truck finds that the nitro version locally is just around 400USD WITHOUT any ''blinging''! 250USD if you want to go with the less messy Lipo propulsion! WOW!
b
I hear ya.... the standard kit and the truck I raced was very different as the wallet opened a lot. The biggest killer for me was the fuel, engines and the multiple sets of beadlock rims with different tyres for the different tracks. I maintained two in race spec with different shock setups (oil weights etc). Working close with a v8supercar team for so many years helped me with suspension setup etc.

Yah, amazing stuff! When I go to my LHS the guys who have the GIANT nitro trucks walk by (mostly Hispanic oddly enough) and I have to imagine that these things are worth THOUSANDS! The trucks are almost as large as the guys that carry them! I too grew up with racing. A friends dad was an amateur 1/4 mile racer. My hands have been burnt so many times working on a HOT race car engine getting it ready for the next run!

The cars and trucks can get boring if your just bashing around all the time. If I wasn't racing and doing setups for jumps etc I would be bored and would probably have given it up. There's something about lining up 20 monster trucks and racing to the first corner (and surviving).... [img][/img]

Yah, I figgered that the racing component made it significantly more fun!

There is a lot more skill involved with flying a heli and doing 3d etc which is why I feel challenged and strive to succeed at it. I also love (on a good day) than you can bring your helis home, wipe the bug guts off your blades, give it the once over and a bit of oil love and your done. Not so with nitro, the oil smell and muck is over everything and you can't get rid of the smell. The oil gets all over your trucks and the dust sticks to it like a magnet. Im loving the electric helis for this reason.

"Yah, when you ask the guys at the flying club (admonish them to answer "quickly") Nitro or Electric it's Electric hands down, time and again! Electric helis are waaaaaay more powerful than Nitro and of course, Nitro gets EVERYWHERE and screws EVERYTHING up that is plastic!

I think if your not being challenged at something then you'll get bored with it....so c'mon Brian let see some inverted on that mcpx [img][/img]

You are really right! Sad thing is, is that the heli board won't even let me do a roll anymore. I may need to treat myself to another one as a replacement or trick that joker out with one of the brushless kits. Since I'm thinking out loud, if I don't get myself a 550 I may buy myself a bunch of small goodies for Christmas, ie Brushless kit for MCPX, BeastX Clone or genuine BeastX for the 500 (which BTW is a perfectly adequate heli. It IS big) etc.

PS - 34 weeks in a few days....I'm getting in as much stick time as I can lol

Yah, your life will change profoundly (in a good way)! I urge you to give the wifey attention and love after the baby is born! Folks "fawn" over the new baby but sometimes forget to give the wifey attention. Your new one will grow up and go away in VERY short order (I, know but it's true) and you and your lovely "bride" will still have a nice long, wonderful life together (I'm living it now)! Enjoy the bonding with the new baby, the heli's can wait! As for that TRUCK of yours, now that you have it running I think "it" along with all the sundries you have would make nice fodder for a 500 class! Fleabay time!!!

Jonesy

rikybob 10-01-2012 04:54 AM

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

..so c'mon Brian let see some inverted on that mcpx [img][/img]

Jonesy
ROFL, more chance of a white Christmas in Orlando [img][/img]

S [img][/img]<br type=''_moz'' />

Grrrrrrrr.....Don't make me come over there (wait, I AM coming over there next fall!) Ohhhhhh the fun I will have when I finally meet you. Hmmmmmm prank time a commin'! When I meet your mum and dad and lovely sisters finally, what to tell them, what to tell them!

My imagination is running WILD!!!!!!

(A hint of what may come)

Your "Special friend".....

Brian

sgbfly 10-01-2012 05:00 AM

Jonesy
ROFL, more chance of a white Christmas in Orlando[img][/img]

S[img][/img]<br type="" />

Grrrrrrrr.....Don't make me come over there (wait, I AM coming over there next fall!) Ohhhhhh the fun I will have when I finally meet you. Hmmmmmm prank time a commin'! When I meet your mum and dad and lovely sisters finally, what to tell them, what to tell them!

Your "Special friend".....

Brian
Yikes! Looks like I've poked the bear!

ya freak!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Shttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif
<br type="_moz" />

rikybob 10-01-2012 05:04 AM

Jonesy
ROFL, more chance of a white Christmas in Orlando [img][/img]

S [img][/img]<br type='''' />

Your ''Special friend''.....

Brian
Yikes! Looks like I've poked the bear!

ya freak! [img][/img]

S [img][/img]
<br type=''_moz'' />
"Nice to meet you Simon's Mum and Dad"

"Nice to me you, Brian"

"Mum, Dad, there's something I need to tell you..."

OH THE FUN I WILL HAVE!!!!

Alrighty, I have to go ride my bike and get some exercise before the Wx decays!

Then back and trim out the 450!

All the best!

b

ingleburn 10-01-2012 05:29 PM

@ Hugh - Yah, firing up, what amounts to, an untested mid evil killing machine in close quarters is poorly advised. Good reasoning to wait til clear Wx!

@ All - Waking up and having my tea. Ingleburn, yer prolly at least a little right about home and wifey! She contracted my lower GI misery and sat idle over the weekend. I'm still suffering lingering effects of the "Lurgy" as well! I think I will mill around the house, do chores and get the HK450GT T/T up and running as I basically have to do a software check on the cyclics and re installation of the mains. <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); ">I DID have something ODD happen. When I was bench testing the rig, the motor spun up, in throttle hold and for fun I tried all switches on the tx to see if it fazed it and NOTHING. Using the "Orange" and the satellite. Hmmmmmmm, never had that happen before. </span>

All the best!

b
Yikes now thats scarey. Lucky the blades werent on.
Im so scared of that happening I always step way back after plugging mine in untill I know its not going to go crazy.
Hope you and wifey feel better soon.
<br type="_moz" />

mnemennth 10-01-2012 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

@ All - Waking up and having my tea. Ingleburn, yer prolly at least a little right about home and wifey! She contracted my lower GI misery and sat idle over the weekend. I'm still suffering lingering effects of the "Lurgy" as well! I think I will mill around the house, do chores and get the HK450GT T/T up and running as I basically have to do a software check on the cyclics and re installation of the mains. <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); ">I DID have something ODD happen. When I was bench testing the rig, the motor spun up, in throttle hold and for fun I tried all switches on the tx to see if it fazed it and NOTHING. Using the "Orange" and the satellite. Hmmmmmmm, never had that happen before. </span>

All the best!

b
Yikes now thats scarey. Lucky the blades werent on.
Im so scared of that happening I always step way back after plugging mine in untill I know its not going to go crazy.
Hope you and wifey feel better soon.

I've had that nightmare a couple times; always imagined myself pulling out the .357 with the beast a couple feet off the ground and having to "Old Yeller" it for the safety of innocent neighbors and kitty cats.

A more realistic scenario would be me taking the 20' length of 2" PVC I keep for rescuing my little FPs from the kite-eating trees and sticking it in the main blades, though... I'd prolly cling to some small hope of rebuilding, especially if I were flogging something bigger like a 500 or 550.

Your Lurgy reminds me of my wife and I "bonding" over her morning sickness with Marcus; I got the stomach flu and we were just like the line at the lavatory after the prom... Hyup. ;)

mnem
Here, honey... lemme hold your hair back out of the way...

Kozzy_98 10-02-2012 03:15 AM

Today I decided to check the feathering shaft of my still grounded #2 helicopter!

Took me a while to figure out the whole order of bearings and such, but eventually put it back in its place! The crash was not too bad, but quite a few of the main gear teeth were completely stripped out. However, the feathering shaft was perfectly straight and true! All I need to do now is replace the tail boom, which will result in me having to re-do the tail. Its a shame because the helicopter was absolutely perfect before I crashed it!

mnemennth 10-02-2012 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Today I decided to check the feathering shaft of my still grounded #2 helicopter!

Took me a while to figure out the whole order of bearings and such, but eventually put it back in its place! The crash was not too bad, but quite a few of the main gear teeth were completely stripped out. However, the feathering shaft was perfectly straight and true! All I need to do now is replace the tail boom, which will result in me having to re-do the tail. Its a shame because the helicopter was absolutely perfect before I crashed it!

Kozzy -

A quick post-crash or periodic check (pretty much any time you have the blades off) of your feathering shaft is this: take an appropriately sized hex driver and turn the screw in the end as if you were tightening it. It will spin the whole shaft; as it does, watch your blade grips. If either of them wobble, bent feathering shaft.

mnem
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...oreYouKnow.jpg

ahamay 10-02-2012 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: mnemennth

Kozzy -
A quick post-crash or periodic check (pretty much any time you have the blades off) of your feathering shaft is this: take an appropriately sized hex driver and turn the screw in the end as if you were tightening it. It will spin the whole shaft; as it does, watch your blade grips. If either of them wobble, bent feathering shaft.
mnem
Yeah, good tip. Speaking of FS's, the shafts on the mcpx suck bigtime, I'm sure they are made of butter. I rekon they bend just spooling the heli up. Got some different ones coming from oomodel, hopefully they are stronger. Might need to make an mcpx shaft straightener.

rikybob 10-02-2012 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: mnemennth

Kozzy -
mnem
Yeah, good tip. Speaking of FS's, the shafts on the mcpx suck bigtime, I'm sure they are made of butter. I rekon they bend just spooling the heli up. Got some different ones coming from oomodel, hopefully they are stronger. Might need to make an mcpx shaft straightener.

Odd as they are actually made of titanium. I am still on the original and have done unspeakable things to it!

As for yours truly, I am still "lurgy" and am laying low. I walked in to my heli room to finish setting up my "Terror Pigeon" but didn't have the heart to do it.

I'm relegated to watching the Military Channels "Great Planes". I love cable!

I'll heal up in the coming days and so will the weather and then back to it!

All the best!

b

pushinoldrc 10-02-2012 04:36 PM

Hope you get to feeling better soon Brian.  I miss your blather.
B

Tinkman 10-02-2012 04:45 PM

Hey Guys,
I know it's been a long time since I've posted. I haven't even had the time to lurk lately. I flew yesterday. The first time in 2 friggin' months! I was scared $#17l3$$! Thankfully, most of the muscle memory kicked in and I went through the battery without incident. Of course, it was a mild flight, but a flight non-the-less.

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and let you guys know that I hadn't expired or something.

Joaquin

bigpapa1272 10-02-2012 06:55 PM

Hello all.....this is one of the best threads i have seen in a long time.....i have gotten a hk450gt from hoobyking and was wondering which align parts yall would recommend replacing for the cheaper ones......also if yall could tell me which 450 trex manuel is for the gt i would appreciate it greatly.....most of the stuff is going together great but i dont know what length to set the linkages to and all.....thanks in advance for yalls help......i am looking to get better before i buy the real deal....(trex 500 or 600).....but want to get good at aleast getting around before i do anything else.....bp

ahamay 10-02-2012 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: bigpapa1272

Hello all.....this is one of the best threads i have seen in a long time.....i have gotten a hk450gt from hoobyking and was wondering which align parts yall would recommend replacing for the cheaper ones......also if yall could tell me which 450 trex manuel is for the gt i would appreciate it greatly.....most of the stuff is going together great but i dont know what length to set the linkages to and all.....thanks in advance for yalls help......i am looking to get better before i buy the real deal....(trex 500 or 600).....but want to get good at aleast getting around before i do anything else.....bp
You'll want to follow the the 450SEV2 manual which you can download from this LINKHERE!

With regards to what parts to swap out then it's usually trial and error. Sometimes you'll get a bent mainshaft or feathering shaft in the kits so these are always good to replace but just check the ones it comes with as they maby ok, then get the Align ones next time. Sometimes the main gear and or autorotation gear are really warped and could do with a replacement as well.

Jonesy

pushinoldrc 10-02-2012 07:50 PM

Welcome to our forum, bigpapa.

We are a fairly close bunch, and while we may kid around quite hard at times, we certainly want to see our comrades succeed in becoming good and safe pilots.

Therefore, when you are given suggestions such as the ones you are asking for, please notice that no one here will steer you wrong. We have all torn up our fair share of helis, except for Rob of course, and will offer you strong advice based on OUR EXPERIENCE. Even Rob has some GREAT advice, even though his experience comes from multiple flights with hardly any crashes.

My experience has been that purchasing parts from E-bay, or most Chinese distributors is a hit or miss proposition. This includes HobbyKing.
Some stuff is ok, some is great, and then next week it's all $h1t.

The Tarot parts line offers almost Align quality at about half the cost.
My favorite distributor is jimmylisun on E-bay. He ships fast, and offers a great shipping discount for multiple orders, and his shipping rates or already very low.

Most Align parts are about the same price on E-bay as they are locally, so, please support your local hobby shop when at all possible.

My most replaced items (the ones I try to keep stocked) are:

Feathering shaft
Main shaft
Main gears (5 or so)
extra servos (I prefer the Turnigy MG90S and the Emax ES08 digital servos for my flybarless rigs).
Tail shaft
blade grips
tail blade grips
extra metal head
extra metal tail
tail booms
tail fins
horizontal fin mount

As you can tell, I am very hard on my birds, but I have a lot of fun, and I am not tearing up as many as I used to.

Feel free to PM me if you need advise or just want to chat.
and please use this forum liberally.
Bryan