RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   T-Rex heli (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/)
-   -   HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/11198904-hk-450gt-ccpm-alloy-t-rex-compatible-part-iii.html)

Edmund2 08-22-2012 03:39 AM

RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Thank you guys will have a look at it. Will also consult the manual as to how tho check let alone set the throttle curves as I do have a wrti up somewhere for the DX6i /mcpx combination. Will advise once done

Edmund

ahamay 08-22-2012 03:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Thank you guys will have a look at it. Will also consult the manual as to how tho check let alone set the throttle curves as I do have a wrti up somewhere for the DX6i /mcpx combination. Will advise once done

Edmund
Posted this once before. This is a good place to start.

http://www.hk450gt.com/images/dx6mcpx.jpg

Edmund2 08-22-2012 03:51 AM

Tx, exactly the one I have somewhere, now I can just screen dump this and print.

Edmund

jnail 08-22-2012 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: ahamay

Does anyone use a servo tester, or have a recommendation for one ? I know some radios have servo testing functionality, mine doesn't. I want to be able to run servos on the bench for a time period before installing them.

Jonesy

Jonesy, if you have the field programming box for the tarot zyx FBL unit... you have a servo tester already. It's built in

jeff

Ddaddy 08-22-2012 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Some advice please. Is it normal for a mCPX to only lift off with the throttle lever at about 90% of travel? Mine would spool up and only when I get almost to the end can I achieve lift off. Do not always want to fly in idle up mode working from the mid position then.

Hiya Edmund!

Seat your main gear back into place by holding the your thumbs over the rotor button and using both index fingers, push the main gear back up into position!

b

+1

This can definately cause your problem. The main shaft should be sticking out the bottom of the main gear about 1mm. There should be no play if you move the main gear up and down.

+1 I check/push mine up after every crash, I mean hard landing...I mean periodic maintenance!
<br type="_moz" />

rikybob 08-22-2012 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

Some advice please. Is it normal for a mCPX to only lift off with the throttle lever at about 90% of travel? Mine would spool up and only when I get almost to the end can I achieve lift off. Do not always want to fly in idle up mode working from the mid position then.

Hiya Edmund!

Seat your main gear back into place by holding the your thumbs over the rotor button and using both index fingers, push the main gear back up into position!

b

+1

This can definately cause your problem. The main shaft should be sticking out the bottom of the main gear about 1mm. There should be no play if you move the main gear up and down.

+1 I check/push mine up after every crash, I mean hard landing...I mean periodic maintenance!
<br type=''_moz'' />
It's kinda funny, I crash mine ever other battery for a total of nearly a hundred crashes. I have never replaced a main gear, F/S etc. I finally DID manage to kill the actual frame!

Conversely a certain stodgy friend of mine from a from an evil empire has prollly only crashed his 1/2 dozen times. I don't know how he does it!!

Headin' out to the Flyin' Club tomorrow and look forward to gettin' shum schict time!

I cut off those big red connectors from my new 3000 batteries and soldered on my favorite XT connectors!

This gives me 7 batteries for the 500 size heli!

As for the blather fest on Friday, the irony that the "blathermeister" himself will have to absent is not lost on me!

I am attending a fundraiser for the neighbor across the street as having cancer is VERY expensive!

So instead of hanging out with you lovely folk I will be at an art gallery that has a cash bar[:@]

All for a good cause and will get to see the ladies dressed up!

All the best and look forward to a blatherfest in the future!

b

ahamay 08-22-2012 03:43 PM

Hiya Edmund!

b

+1

<br type="" />
<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">It's kinda funny, I crash mine ever other battery for a total of nearly a hundred crashes. I have never replaced a main gear, F/S etc. I finally DID manage to kill the actual frame!</span>
b
I think the key to not toasting the feathering shafts is to not use the stock blades as they don't bend back far enough in a crash. You can dremel out a section of the stock blade so they bend back like the kbdd blades do...this will help avoid bent shafts.

rikybob 08-22-2012 04:03 PM

Hiya Edmund!

b

+1

<br type='''' />
<span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''>It's kinda funny, I crash mine ever other battery for a total of nearly a hundred crashes. I have never replaced a main gear, F/S etc. I finally DID manage to kill the actual frame!</span>
b
I think the key to not toasting the feathering shafts is to not use the stock blades as they don't bend back far enough in a crash. You can dremel out a section of the stock blade so they bend back like the kbdd blades do...this will help avoid bent shafts.

Ahhhhh mebbe that's it!

I used the stock blades for about a dozen flights then went to immediately to the KDBB for quality (perfect balance) and more importantly the bright orange for visibility!

b

mnemennth 08-22-2012 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

Anyone thought about using these.<a target="_blank" href="http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25427__Turnigy_nano_tech_A_SPEC_2200mah_3S_65_13 0C_Lipo_Pack.html">http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
</a> A serious battery but at a serious price.
Burn -
I've been abusing...err, using 2 of the 3S/2200/25-50C NanoTechs for almost 2 years; sometimes brutally overloading with bad motor/pinion combos (and a shorted out motor/ESC from time to time), sometimes by letting them just sit for a couple months at a time. They STILL test out at rated capacity, which is approx 8-10% decrease from capacity after the first 10 cycles. All in all, I am astounded they could sell a pack like this for $12, even on the swarm. I am similarly pleased with the two Zippy packs I bought a year ago for $9, though they haven't held up like the Nano-Techs; they are a year younger and already down to 90-95% rated capacity.

That said, I'm not certain any hobby flyer is going to push these A-Spec Nano-Techs to a point where they will live longer than a regular Nano-Tech simply due to age; therefore I don't know that I can justify spending even the $27.59 they're asking for these After Thumb-Twiddling, especially when the pack I bought for $12 is now $10.19 on the swarm.

OTOH - Just look at the prices of any "Name-brand" pack on any of the big USAsites, which I'm 95% certain these new A-Spec packs are equal or superior to... maybe we HK junkies have gotten spoiled? Are we simply jaded?

mnem
More power. Yumm.

Kozzy_98 08-22-2012 11:36 PM

Well...
Ordered a massive order from HK full of well, bits and pieces! Things such as epoxy glue, hacksaw, the TGY-306G Servo and a dremel!

Also various parts for the quadcopter: ESCs, Props, Motors and alike!

Total order value was ~300$. This means I am currently in debt! (To my parents :D)

I have been keeping my thumbs in shape with the MCPX. It is such a great little helicopter, I just need to persuade myself to get outside and fly my 450s. Atleast when the weather is nice! Currently a thunderstorm is in my area, with windy days before that. Hopefully the weekend is clear!

Does anyone have any suggestions on a very efficient 450 motor that would give long run times? Something to learn hovers on, then I can swap it for a spare 2218 that I have. I heard that esky make a very efficient motor, but cannot recall the motor specifically...
Long flight times is what I am after @ my stage.

sgbfly 08-23-2012 02:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Does anyone have any suggestions on a very efficient 450 motor that would give long run times? Something to learn hovers on, then I can swap it for a spare 2218 that I have. I heard that esky make a very efficient motor, but cannot recall the motor specifically...

The Esky EK5-0006 3800KV motor is very smooth and efficient - it should give an extra couple of minutes flight time over the 2218H. It requires an 11T 2.3mm pinion gear. Most pinions of this size are press on that you will have to use stud-lock or even solder in place. Hobbyking sell agrubb screwed versionwhich is what I'd buy or look out for.

Shttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

sgbfly 08-23-2012 02:11 AM

<span style="font-size: x-large; "><span style="font-family: Arial; ">Phoenix Blathering Duex!</span></span>

This Friday, same time, place and password. I am changing the audio to "direct sound" though. Hope to balther and fly with you then!

Cheers,
Ken
Howdy Ken!

I'd love to join you in this. I don't have Phoenix yet but maybe a future meet....!

<br type="_moz" />

Kozzy_98 08-23-2012 02:18 AM

How would the Esky EK5-0006 3800KV motor compare to the 2215 in efficiency and that is the motor that I have in both of my completed helicopters. Hopefully if it is more efficient I will use it in my #3 along with the TGY306G servo..

Finally managed to break one of the canopy posts on my MCPX, lucky it was the one that points towards the nose!

sgbfly 08-23-2012 03:28 AM

How would the Esky EK5-0006 3800KV motor compare to the 2215 in efficiency.

There is not much in it versus the smaller HK motor tbh

<br type="_moz" />

ahamay 08-23-2012 03:38 AM

Not sure if hunting down a more efficient motor over the 2218 you already have is going to be worth it in the end. As soon as your past the hovering stage the longer flight times are going to be out the window anyways. I think you would benefit from spending the extra money on a few extra batteries.

Jonesy

ahamay 08-23-2012 03:40 AM

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

<span style="font-size: x-large; "><span style="font-family: Arial; ">Phoenix Blathering Duex!</span></span>

This Friday, same time, place and password. I am changing the audio to "direct sound" though. Hope to balther and fly with you then!

Cheers,
Ken
Howdy Ken!

I'd love to join you in this. I don't have Phoenix yet but maybe a future meet....!

I'm out on this one as well, gotta work Friday.

Jonesy

sgbfly 08-23-2012 03:54 AM

Not sure if hunting down a more efficient motor over the 2218 you already have is going to be worth it in the end. As soon as your past the hovering stage the longer flight times are going to be out the window anyways. I think you would benefit from spending the extra money on a few extra batteries.

Jonesy

That's right. Defo more bang per buck by buying extra lipos!

Simonhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif
<br type="_moz" />

rikybob 08-23-2012 03:55 AM

It's kinda funny, I crash mine ever other battery for a total of nearly a hundred crashes. I have never replaced a main gear, F/S etc. I finally DID manage to kill the actual frame!

Conversely a certain stodgy friend of mine from an evil empire has prollly only crashed his 1/2 dozen times. I don't know how he does it!!

Headin' out to the Flyin' Club tomorrow and look forward to gettin' shum schict time!

I cut off those big red connectors from my new 3000 batteries and soldered on my favorite XT connectors!

As for the blather fest on Friday, the irony that the ''blathermeister'' himself will have to absent is not lost on me!

I am attending a fundraiser for the neighbor across the street as having cancer is VERY expensive!

So instead of hanging out with you lovely folk I will be at an art gallery that has a cash bar[:@]

b
Vein attempt to coax bear out of cave, must try another tactic!

b

sgbfly 08-23-2012 04:00 AM

Conversely a certain stodgy friend of mine from an evil empire has prollly only crashed his 1/2 dozen times. I don't know how he does it!!

b
3 crashes actuallyhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gifhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif
<br type="_moz" />

Edmund2 08-23-2012 04:06 AM

As for the blather fest on Friday, the irony that the ''blathermeister'' himself will have to absent is not lost on me!

b

b
Now I did bring some very good honey home from Namibia that may just get that bear out of the cave!!!! COme on weekend I got used to not to work.

Edmund

sgbfly 08-23-2012 04:12 AM

Now I did bring some very good honey home from Namibia that may just get that bear out of the cave!!!! COme on weekend I got used to not to work.

Edmund
Lol, that would do the trick!

Congrats on your sons epic international BOL voyage! To celebrate I flew mine on Tuesday!

<br type="_moz" />

Edmund2 08-23-2012 04:33 AM

He left his BOL with me when he moved to Namibia and as I had space in the vehicle asked him if I should bring it along. Now at my place there is limited space and as it is he can outlfy me on precision flying with a BOL any day and I am pretty good at that. When he lifted off on a virtual windless day with more space then he ever had to fly in, it was a joy to watch. Straight line and 180 degree turnaround on the same line at almost FF. I was later watching his face rather than the BOL as that wide grin told me that I did the right thing to bring his toy to him. Left him with lots of spare blades and referred him to Spiros' way of taping the fuse. That crossborder flight was great to watch and he did it like a pro.

Edmund.

ingleburn 08-23-2012 04:22 PM

Cheers,
Ken
Howdy Ken!

I'm out on this one as well, gotta work Friday.

Jonesy

Yeah I'm out too. Working but have fun guys.

<br type="_moz" />

mnemennth 08-23-2012 09:48 PM

I've been flogging a couple of these I got from the Miami warehouse a couple months ago for $8 ea(sold out now in both USwarehouses); they're a solid motor once you balance 'em, but they DOneed to be balanced. Or at least, both of mine did. Now, I'm running one on an el-cheapo 30A ESC and it never gets warm; I'd say the current draw is reasonably low. I need to hoe out some space on my outside bench and I'll try and come up with some stats for ya.

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001225754

If ya don't have the patience or knack for balancing, or if you don't really need more motors (like I really did) ;) then I'm gonna agree with Jonesy - you're prolly better off spending yer money on a few extra packs. Did I mention the Turnigy Nano-Tech 3S/2200/25-50C packs are $10.19 ea on the swarm right now? LOL.

mnem
Zzzzt.

rikybob 08-24-2012 02:35 AM

Happy B'day Jonesy!

b

ahamay 08-24-2012 03:19 AM

Happy B'day Jonesy!

b
Thanks mate.... just installing my hitec servos that I got today. All 3 of them work which is a good start http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif

rikybob 08-24-2012 03:30 AM

Had a great time at the flying club yesterday!

Here is an AMAZING flier!

b

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub2EsuuO4ko[/youtube]

pushinoldrc 08-24-2012 04:18 AM

Comments on YouTube

mnemennth 08-24-2012 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Happy B'day Jonesy!

b
Hippo Bathday dude!

May the wind be elsewhere and your batteries full!

mnem
Umm... you gonna eat all that cake?

mnemennth 08-24-2012 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: pushinoldrc

Comments on YouTube

Comments on yer comments. And stuph.

mnem
I shall eat lasagna.

sgbfly 08-24-2012 12:44 PM

Jonsey, Am I too late to wish you a happy birthday? From where I'm sat I'm just about okhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Hi to all and a couple of flight videos to share.

I enjoyed some fast flying and some big power loops. It's a bit same old same old but here goes...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uIzFzY7whg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJrbnQJPR5o[/youtube]

I'm starting to get back into this now after my hols!

Best to all!

Simonhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif<br type="_moz" />

rikybob 08-24-2012 02:43 PM

[link=http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/205537.shtml?5-daynl]Grrrrrr![/link]

rikybob 08-24-2012 02:46 PM

Jonsey, Am I too late to wish you a happy birthday? From where I'm sat I'm just about ok [img][/img]

Hi to all and a couple of flight videos to share.

I enjoyed some fast flying and some big power loops. It's a bit same old same old but here goes...

I'm starting to get back into this now after my hols!

Best to all!

Simon [img][/img]<br type=''_moz'' />

Snappy comments on YT!

b

ahamay 08-24-2012 03:39 PM

Jonsey, Am I too late to wish you a happy birthday? From where I'm sat I'm just about okhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif
Best to all!
Nope, it's saturday morning here and it's today so thanks for the birthday wishes.

ahamay 08-24-2012 03:40 PM

Just flew two packs on the new hs-5065mg servos Iinstalled last night and they are great. I'll upload a vid later on as I"ve got to goto someone elses birthday party now ( can you believe it) http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Jonesy

Ddaddy 08-24-2012 03:55 PM

I am going to postpone tonight's Phoenix sim blathering session. Could I get some recomendations on days and times?

Ken<br type="_moz" />

ingleburn 08-24-2012 07:48 PM

I am going to postpone tonight's Phoenix sim blathering session. Could I get some recomendations on days and times?

Ken<br type="_moz" />
I don't think you are ever going to be able to please everyone so the best way is to just pick a time and whoever turns up turns up.
Working away at the moment but when I get back I might start one myself as well and see who pops in.

Happy birthday Jonesy. Let us know how those servos go.

<br type="_moz" />

Kozzy_98 08-24-2012 11:13 PM

Well, what a day today!!

Woke up today with a set goal.. to fly one of my 450s!

So before I left, did the usual pre flight checks..

On #1, the 50% pitch did not give 0deg of pitch. Tried to fix it, but made it worse. as they say, if it ain't broke..

On #2, which was the first helicopter that I built ALL by myself with no help, gave me 0deg of pitch. Then I checked over all the gyro settings, all seemed to be OK. However, this helicopter had not been flown before, whereas the #1 had been flown previously by Rob!

Went to the local oval, and spooled it up. First lift off was to make sure that the helicopter wouldn't piro like crazy. Gave some corrective aileron, and made it worse! Chopped the throttle (I was only like, 2 inches off the ground) and checked my aileron. Yup, it was backwards! Fixed with swash mix.
Then I had proper lift off. I expected it to be like an MCPX where the smallest correction would be enough, but the sticks honestly felt dead. Knew it was the expo, which was on 25%. So I landed, and adjusted to 10% expo. It was better, but not as touchy as I would like. I think its the size and flybarred nature of the thing though. There was also some wind, I would estimate 5kph which is about 3mph. It was enough to make a difference, but then again, my knees and hands were trembling! Thats how phreakin nervous I was!

So I took off once more, and noticed the throttle/pitch was not as responsive as the MCPX. That could be due to the swash mixes and TH/PIT curves.

My main suprise was the tail. The HK401b gyro at 64.5 percent (Spektrum Radio) gain was very solid, but then again, I didn't do any FF. I will up the gains slowly in the future! No waggy dog tail like my maiden of my #1 which Rob and Phil saw. That for me, was a very pleasant suprise! The tail servo, by the way, was a Henge 922.

As for the #1 helicopter, I think that I have messed around with the links way too much. They are very worn out, which isn't good. Come to think of it, I may also be able to do the servo mod to the 939MGs that are on it. That, and to re-do the head completely!

So for today, I will go over my settings and have another flight hopefully tomorrow. Sorry that theres no video, I haven't got a #16 Camera! There are SO many different choices on ebay, and I have no idea which one is true to its specs. If you guys bought one, can you post a link? Preferably one without the SD card.

Hope you guys had as good of a day today as I did!

ingleburn 08-24-2012 11:33 PM

Well, what a day today!!

Woke up today with a set goal.. to fly one of my 450s!

So before I left, did the usual pre flight checks..

On #1, the 50% pitch did not give 0deg of pitch. Tried to fix it, but made it worse. as they say, if it ain't broke..

On #2, which was the first helicopter that I built ALL by myself with no help, gave me 0deg of pitch. Then I checked over all the gyro settings, all seemed to be OK. However, this helicopter had not been flown before, whereas the #1 had been flown previously by Rob!

Went to the local oval, and spooled it up. First lift off was to make sure that the helicopter wouldn't piro like crazy. Gave some corrective aileron, and made it worse! Chopped the throttle (I was only like, 2 inches off the ground) and checked my aileron. Yup, it was backwards! Fixed with swash mix.
Then I had proper lift off. I expected it to be like an MCPX where the smallest correction would be enough, but the sticks honestly felt dead. Knew it was the expo, which was on 25%. So I landed, and adjusted to 10% expo. It was better, but not as touchy as I would like. I think its the size and flybarred nature of the thing though. There was also some wind, I would estimate 5kph which is about 3mph. It was enough to make a difference, but then again, my knees and hands were trembling! Thats how phreakin nervous I was!

So I took off once more, and noticed the throttle/pitch was not as responsive as the MCPX. That could be due to the swash mixes and TH/PIT curves.

My main suprise was the tail. The HK401b gyro at 64.5 percent (Spektrum Radio) gain was very solid, but then again, I didn't do any FF. I will up the gains slowly in the future! No waggy dog tail like my maiden of my #1 which Rob and Phil saw. That for me, was a very pleasant suprise! The tail servo, by the way, was a Henge 922.

As for the #1 helicopter, I think that I have messed around with the links way too much. They are very worn out, which isn't good. Come to think of it, I may also be able to do the servo mod to the 939MGs that are on it. That, and to re-do the head completely!

So for today, I will go over my settings and have another flight hopefully tomorrow. Sorry that theres no video, I haven't got a #16 Camera! There are SO many different choices on ebay, and I have no idea which one is true to its specs. If you guys bought one, can you post a link? Preferably one without the SD card.

Hope you guys had as good of a day today as I did!

Glad you had fun today. It will get easier.
If you want a real #16 try this, the same one I have.www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808-Car-Key-Chain-Micro-Camera-16-Real-HD-720P-H-264-Pocket-Camcorder-/180776698380
<br type="_moz" />

ahamay 08-25-2012 12:57 AM

OK, here's a tip. Don't accidently short out the balance plug on your parallel charging board by holding down the board whilst you unplug batteries. It gives you a good belt, burns the heck out of your fingers and buggers up your balance board. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../cry_smile.gif

http://www.hk450gt.com/images/burnie.jpg