RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   T-Rex heli (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/)
-   -   HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/11198904-hk-450gt-ccpm-alloy-t-rex-compatible-part-iii.html)

Ddaddy 08-24-2012 03:55 PM

RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

I am going to postpone tonight's Phoenix sim blathering session. Could I get some recomendations on days and times?

Ken<br type="_moz" />

ingleburn 08-24-2012 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

I am going to postpone tonight's Phoenix sim blathering session. Could I get some recomendations on days and times?

Ken<br type="_moz" />
I don't think you are ever going to be able to please everyone so the best way is to just pick a time and whoever turns up turns up.
Working away at the moment but when I get back I might start one myself as well and see who pops in.

Happy birthday Jonesy. Let us know how those servos go.

<br type="_moz" />

Kozzy_98 08-24-2012 11:13 PM

Well, what a day today!!

Woke up today with a set goal.. to fly one of my 450s!

So before I left, did the usual pre flight checks..

On #1, the 50% pitch did not give 0deg of pitch. Tried to fix it, but made it worse. as they say, if it ain't broke..

On #2, which was the first helicopter that I built ALL by myself with no help, gave me 0deg of pitch. Then I checked over all the gyro settings, all seemed to be OK. However, this helicopter had not been flown before, whereas the #1 had been flown previously by Rob!

Went to the local oval, and spooled it up. First lift off was to make sure that the helicopter wouldn't piro like crazy. Gave some corrective aileron, and made it worse! Chopped the throttle (I was only like, 2 inches off the ground) and checked my aileron. Yup, it was backwards! Fixed with swash mix.
Then I had proper lift off. I expected it to be like an MCPX where the smallest correction would be enough, but the sticks honestly felt dead. Knew it was the expo, which was on 25%. So I landed, and adjusted to 10% expo. It was better, but not as touchy as I would like. I think its the size and flybarred nature of the thing though. There was also some wind, I would estimate 5kph which is about 3mph. It was enough to make a difference, but then again, my knees and hands were trembling! Thats how phreakin nervous I was!

So I took off once more, and noticed the throttle/pitch was not as responsive as the MCPX. That could be due to the swash mixes and TH/PIT curves.

My main suprise was the tail. The HK401b gyro at 64.5 percent (Spektrum Radio) gain was very solid, but then again, I didn't do any FF. I will up the gains slowly in the future! No waggy dog tail like my maiden of my #1 which Rob and Phil saw. That for me, was a very pleasant suprise! The tail servo, by the way, was a Henge 922.

As for the #1 helicopter, I think that I have messed around with the links way too much. They are very worn out, which isn't good. Come to think of it, I may also be able to do the servo mod to the 939MGs that are on it. That, and to re-do the head completely!

So for today, I will go over my settings and have another flight hopefully tomorrow. Sorry that theres no video, I haven't got a #16 Camera! There are SO many different choices on ebay, and I have no idea which one is true to its specs. If you guys bought one, can you post a link? Preferably one without the SD card.

Hope you guys had as good of a day today as I did!

ingleburn 08-24-2012 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

Well, what a day today!!

Woke up today with a set goal.. to fly one of my 450s!

So before I left, did the usual pre flight checks..

On #1, the 50% pitch did not give 0deg of pitch. Tried to fix it, but made it worse. as they say, if it ain't broke..

On #2, which was the first helicopter that I built ALL by myself with no help, gave me 0deg of pitch. Then I checked over all the gyro settings, all seemed to be OK. However, this helicopter had not been flown before, whereas the #1 had been flown previously by Rob!

Went to the local oval, and spooled it up. First lift off was to make sure that the helicopter wouldn't piro like crazy. Gave some corrective aileron, and made it worse! Chopped the throttle (I was only like, 2 inches off the ground) and checked my aileron. Yup, it was backwards! Fixed with swash mix.
Then I had proper lift off. I expected it to be like an MCPX where the smallest correction would be enough, but the sticks honestly felt dead. Knew it was the expo, which was on 25%. So I landed, and adjusted to 10% expo. It was better, but not as touchy as I would like. I think its the size and flybarred nature of the thing though. There was also some wind, I would estimate 5kph which is about 3mph. It was enough to make a difference, but then again, my knees and hands were trembling! Thats how phreakin nervous I was!

So I took off once more, and noticed the throttle/pitch was not as responsive as the MCPX. That could be due to the swash mixes and TH/PIT curves.

My main suprise was the tail. The HK401b gyro at 64.5 percent (Spektrum Radio) gain was very solid, but then again, I didn't do any FF. I will up the gains slowly in the future! No waggy dog tail like my maiden of my #1 which Rob and Phil saw. That for me, was a very pleasant suprise! The tail servo, by the way, was a Henge 922.

As for the #1 helicopter, I think that I have messed around with the links way too much. They are very worn out, which isn't good. Come to think of it, I may also be able to do the servo mod to the 939MGs that are on it. That, and to re-do the head completely!

So for today, I will go over my settings and have another flight hopefully tomorrow. Sorry that theres no video, I haven't got a #16 Camera! There are SO many different choices on ebay, and I have no idea which one is true to its specs. If you guys bought one, can you post a link? Preferably one without the SD card.

Hope you guys had as good of a day today as I did!

Glad you had fun today. It will get easier.
If you want a real #16 try this, the same one I have.www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808-Car-Key-Chain-Micro-Camera-16-Real-HD-720P-H-264-Pocket-Camcorder-/180776698380
<br type="_moz" />

ahamay 08-25-2012 12:57 AM

OK, here's a tip. Don't accidently short out the balance plug on your parallel charging board by holding down the board whilst you unplug batteries. It gives you a good belt, burns the heck out of your fingers and buggers up your balance board. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../cry_smile.gif

http://www.hk450gt.com/images/burnie.jpg

ingleburn 08-25-2012 03:47 AM

ORIGINAL: ahamay

OK, here's a tip. Don't accidently short out the balance plug on your parallel charging board by holding down the board whilst you unplug batteries. It gives you a good belt, burns the heck out of your fingers and buggers up your balance board. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../cry_smile.gif

http://www.hk450gt.com/images/burnie.jpg

Ouch thats sounds painfull. My one blew up the first time I used it.
Get this one. Much better construction. www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp
<br type="_moz" />

rikybob 08-25-2012 04:18 AM

Hiya Koz!

I'm glad your story didn't end with "...and then I crashed"!

Keep at it and happy flyin'!

@ Simon - You had a query about how the Brits did with the Olympics, my observations are as follows:

1) Great Brittian and China had equal amounts amounts of human rights violations.

2) More beach volley ball with HEATED sand and HEATED environment!

Uh, that's it!

b

mnemennth 08-25-2012 04:50 PM

I love the smell of toasted PCB in the morning! Smells like... Victory!

;)

Seriously, that looks eminantly repairable; in fact, I'll bet $1 that the ports on the left side of that injury are totally unaffected. A little solder, some strands of copper wire, lift the balance sockets off the PCB so you can get under them... easy-peasy. Take 30 min, tops. If you wanna make a perfessional-looking repair, trace a little CA over it all then spray CA accelerant to seal it. Once that dries, or you wipe it clean with alcohol, you can go over all of the repair with green Sharpie. Spiffy.

On a flying-related note, I spent about 3 hours yesterday doodling around with my 9958 and my v911 4CH micros in the front yard; even managed a few honest moments of controlled-vector flying against a 5-7 MPH headwind. Then I tripped over a tree root as I was reaching down for my 9958 and stomped it flatter than a road toad. Size 13 shoe and 300 pounds of Polack arse don't leave much room for escape; the main PCB &amp; canopy appear to have survived, but everything else is a jumbled mangle of plastic &amp; wires. I MIGHT be able to salvage the servos &amp; swash; we'll see once I get it apart. er. This considerably dampened my flying spirit for the rest of the day; I only have one battery for the V911 so my rhythm kinda got busted up.

Onward &amp; upward,

mnem
Been dere, dunnat, burned the shirt. While I was wearing it.

mnemennth 08-26-2012 02:48 PM

* Pokes the forum with a stick *

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...th/cricket.gif

Hmmm...

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...vingdragon.gif

Ummm... Heww-o-o-o-o?

mnem
*Goes home to mutter*

ahamay 08-26-2012 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: mnemennth

I love the smell of toasted PCB in the morning! Smells like... Victory!

;)

Seriously, that looks eminantly repairable; in fact, I'll bet $1 that the ports on the left side of that injury are totally unaffected. A little solder, some strands of copper wire, lift the balance sockets off the PCB so you can get under them... easy-peasy. Take 30 min, tops. If you wanna make a perfessional-looking repair, trace a little CA over it all then spray CA accelerant to seal it. Once that dries, or you wipe it clean with alcohol, you can go over all of the repair with green Sharpie. Spiffy.

On a flying-related note, I spent about 3 hours yesterday doodling around with my 9958 and my v911 4CH micros in the front yard; even managed a few honest moments of controlled-vector flying against a 5-7 MPH headwind. Then I tripped over a tree root as I was reaching down for my 9958 and stomped it flatter than a road toad. Size 13 shoe and 300 pounds of Polack arse don't leave much room for escape; the main PCB &amp; canopy appear to have survived, but everything else is a jumbled mangle of plastic &amp; wires. I MIGHT be able to salvage the servos &amp; swash; we'll see once I get it apart. er. This considerably dampened my flying spirit for the rest of the day; I only have one battery for the V911 so my rhythm kinda got busted up.

Onward &amp; upward,

mnem
Been dere, dunnat, burned the shirt. While I was wearing it.
Your most likely correct and that it can be fixed, but it's about 5 bucks for a new one from HK so I'll opt for that, unless Ican find something locally which Idoubt it. As much as I'd love to be soldering a pcb I'd rather by flying http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

hugj 08-26-2012 04:56 PM

Well it's another week starting tommrow!
 Did a little flying yesterday with the 55o swift first flight flawless and had a great 6 min.
The second problems, on lift off it acted weird drifting to my left, set her back down check it over
no prob found, lifted back off and now the tail was very slow to respond i added more right into her and
wow a piro to the right like mad,i hit throttle hold and down she went!
Not too much dammage the post mordem revieled locked up tail grip bearings.

the one place i forgot to check. I guess if there is a problem just fly it will show up!!!
  Hugh</p>

ahamay 08-26-2012 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: hugj

Did a little flying yesterday with the 55o swift first flight flawless and had a great 6 min.
The second problems, on lift off it acted weird drifting to my left, set her back down check it over
no prob found, lifted back off and now the tail was very slow to respond i added more right into her and

the one place i forgot to check. I guess if there is a problem just fly it will show up!!!
Hugh</p>
Ouch... bad luck that sucks...hope you get her fixed up soon.

I once had a similar issue with my 450gt, I put the grub screw and the tail hub too far out on the tail shaft and the linkages went inverted at max travel and locked there = disaster.

I think the tail grip bearings are overlooked in maintenance, I've had a few let go so far.

Jonesy

ingleburn 08-26-2012 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: hugj

Hugh</p>
Ouch... bad luck that sucks...hope you get her fixed up soon.

I once had a similar issue with my 450gt, I put the grub screw and the tail hub too far out on the tail shaft and the linkages went inverted at max travel and locked there = disaster.

I think the tail grip bearings are overlooked in maintenance, I've had a few let go so far.

Jonesy

Bad luck Hugh. The only problems I ever seem to get are on the tail so Im pretty paranoid about it.
You just have to see my junk box and all the bearings and grips that Ive chucked into it.
Ive got a few spare sets of bearings all the time.

The new Tarot tail shafts only have a small indent in them so theres no adjustment for where the hub goes.
Does anyone oil there tail bearings or just install them and fly?
<br type="_moz" />

Ddaddy 08-26-2012 08:58 PM

I oil mine about every 10 flights. Coughed up the dough for Boca ceramics on the 450 (450 tail bearings are aweful, both tail and grips (rest mediocre IMO)). I'm hoping they last more than 30ish flights.

Been oiling all 500 bearings too...motor started squealing a few days ago...sigh, more bearings. Gonna go with abec 3 though instead of cermaic.

ingleburn 08-27-2012 05:26 PM

I oil mine about every 10 flights. Coughed up the dough for Boca ceramics on the 450 (450 tail bearings are aweful, both tail and grips (rest mediocre IMO)). I'm hoping they last more than 30ish flights.

Been oiling all 500 bearings too...motor started squealing a few days ago...sigh, more bearings. Gonna go with abec 3 though instead of cermaic.
Have you got links to the bearings, both boca and abec 3.
<br type="_moz" />

ingleburn 08-27-2012 07:27 PM

Hi all, went out this morning and flew all my batteries. Had a ball and really getting the hang of it now.

I saw that Jonesy was in the ZYX forum asking about the dreaded right turn dramas and they must have been on happy pills because a few of them actually responded this time.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../omg_smile.gif

Anyway I tried a few of there suggestions and got the tail working a lot better but not perfect.

Dropped the tail gain a bit and increased my throttle curve to a flat 90. Its still struggling but not stalling as before.

Havent bought any parts for a while so might try out that Turnigy servo a few of you have been talking about.

Also saw this being discussed so might be worth a try as well. www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php

Batteries charging so might get out again this afternoon.<br type="_moz" />

ahamay 08-27-2012 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: ingleburn
Hi all, went out this morning and flew all my batteries. Had a ball and really getting the hang of it now.
I saw that Jonesy was in the ZYX forum asking about the dreaded right turn dramas and they must have been on happy pills because a few of them actually responded this time.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../omg_smile.gif
Anyway I tried a few of there suggestions and got the tail working a lot better but not perfect.
Dropped the tail gain a bit and increased my throttle curve to a flat 90. Its still struggling but not stalling as before.
Havent bought any parts for a while so might try out that Turnigy servo a few of you have been talking about.
Also saw this being discussed so might be worth a try as well. www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php
Batteries charging so might get out again this afternoon.
Nothing boosts the confidence like flying a few batteries in a row..just watch out it's addictive and you will end up with more batteries http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif

My second Tarot 450 PRO V2 kit turned up today and I will have all the bits for it by the weekend except for the TGY-306 <xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view></w:worddocument></xml>servo which is on it's way from hobbyking. The HK40GT is off to a new home as well as the few spare bits I had for it.

Re the zyx. I thought I might try again on the zyx forum and there were a few good suggestions there. Ido have a plan of attack as I really want to get it resolved. I've got new tail grip bearings on the way so I can rule that out even though Ithink they are ok and i've already changed them a while ago. I think I've just pushed this 450 to it's limits when turning hard. I've got 13t pinions on the way as well which I'll install in both, up from the 12t. This should give me some more tail authority with the higher headspeed up around 3300rpm.

You also asked where I got my Hitec 5065mg's. I got them from perthrc.com.au...about $38 bucks each. I also scored an alloy helicopter carry case from my LHS for 50 bucks which I can fit two 450's, my mcpx, dx7 and my batteries in. No more carrying stuff around in a dodgy cardboard box.

Hope you get some more batteries in this afternoon.

Cheers
Jonesy

ingleburn 08-27-2012 08:27 PM

Nothing boosts the confidence like flying a few batteries in a row..just watch out it's addictive and you will end up with more batteries http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif

My second Tarot 450 PRO V2 kit turned up today and I will have all the bits for it by the weekend except for the TGY-306 <xml><w:worddocument><w:view></w:view></w:worddocument></xml>servo which is on it's way from hobbyking. The HK40GT is off to a new home as well as the few spare bits I had for it.

Re the zyx. I thought I might try again on the zyx forum and there were a few good suggestions there. Ido have a plan of attack as I really want to get it resolved. I've got new tail grip bearings on the way so I can rule that out even though Ithink they are ok and i've already changed them a while ago. I think I've just pushed this 450 to it's limits when turning hard. I've got 13t pinions on the way as well which I'll install in both, up from the 12t. This should give me some more tail authority with the higher headspeed up around 3300rpm.

You also asked where I got my Hitec 5065mg's. I got them from perthrc.com.au...about $38 bucks each. I also scored an alloy helicopter carry case from my LHS for 50 bucks which I can fit two 450's, my mcpx, dx7 and my batteries in. No more carrying stuff around in a dodgy cardboard box.

Cheers
Jonesy

Be good to see how the increase in headspeed goes. My grip bearings are brand new so Ive ruled them out. For me it might be DS420 not having enough torque.
Yeah its getting addictive now. Its the first time Ive ever cursed when the timer went off.
Wow thats a big case to fit 2 450's in as well as the MCPX.
Ill take the cam out next time and get some vid of mine turning right and give you all a look.
<br type="_moz" />

ahamay 08-27-2012 08:37 PM

Cheers
Jonesy

Be good to see how the increase in headspeed goes. My grip bearings are brand new so Ive ruled them out. For me it might be DS420 not having enough torque.
Yeah its getting addictive now. Its the first time Ive ever cursed when the timer went off.
Wow thats a big case to fit 2 450's in as well as the MCPX.
Ill take the cam out next time and get some vid of mine turning right and give you all a look.
The case is just the normal 450 size case. I can fit two 450's in there if I turn one around and have them facing each other. Ther was a slightly bigger case, but I opted for the smaller one otherwise i'll end up lugging around extra stuff Iprobably don't need. I'l take a pic once Iget the other 450 built.

rikybob 08-28-2012 03:50 AM

Hiya Kidz!

Been lurking a bunch as there has been NO flyin' due to [link=http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/storms/2012/ISAAC]THIS[/link] fella!

It's our luck that its been heading down the road to another state or two, bad for them as it's been almost 7 years since "Katrina".

Recall I am on my month of weekends off so there is not time to work on my 450 as it's tail is wagging no matter the gain. Suspect Align DS520 or tail bearings (not tail grip). I won't have time to do that surgery for a while.

I hope all are doing well and yes ingleburn, the elation of flying battery to battery is addictive!

All the best!

b

Edmund2 08-28-2012 04:53 AM

Brian, been thinking about you and what that sotrm will do or not do in your area. Now if you have a month of not working on weekends then you have all those weekends to fix that problem you have.

Hope to be going to the farm this weekend to get some open space flying in but that is subject to Mrs E being in hospital for a back operation or not. She damaged her spinal cord and has lost the feeling and mobility in one leg and arm. Can potetnially be fixed but will only know when she had the operation.

Edmund 

rikybob 08-28-2012 05:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Brian, been thinking about you and what that sotrm will do or not do in your area. Now if you have a month of not working on weekends then you have all those weekends to fix that problem you have.

Hope to be going to the farm this weekend to get some open space flying in but that is subject to Mrs E being in hospital for a back operation or not. She damaged her spinal cord and has lost the feeling and mobility in one leg and arm. Can potetnially be fixed but will only know when she had the operation.

Edmund

Hiya Edmund!

Please keep us posted on Mrs. E and let her know that folks that don't even know her, will keep her in their prayers!

As for weekends off, I suffer the same malady as you "normal folks" that have weekends off. Every moment is planned. I am now down in the ole bank account as I spent a substantial amount of money on living room furnature, Saturday!

I could have bought quite a few Goblins for that![:@] I will say though that it's nice furnature!!

Here in the states we have a holiday weekend (Labor Day) so I will be at a resort for four days. It will be difficult with the spectre' of my heli needind work, but as I order drinks from the pool and a smokin hot waitress delevers same (in a bikini) I will heave a big sigh for the broken 450!! :D

All the best!

b

Ddaddy 08-28-2012 08:00 AM

<br type="_moz" />
Here you go http://www.bocabearings.com/

Boca carried abec 3 also (it's just a specification). Google abec 3 and you should get a lot of companies that sell close to you.

Cheers,
Ken
<br type="_moz" />

ahamay 08-28-2012 07:32 PM

Boca carried abec 3 also (it's just a specification). Google abec 3 and you should get a lot of companies that sell close to you.
Cheers,
Ken
Well I learnt a few things from that site (probably spent way too much time on there to be honest)... and gee those bearings are expensive...they would want to be good.

Jonesy

ingleburn 08-29-2012 12:36 AM

Cheers,
Ken
Well I learnt a few things from that site (probably spent way too much time on there to be honest)... and gee those bearings are expensive...they would want to be good.

Jonesy

I bet 1 thing you learnt was that they lie through their teeth. You dont think this was this guys maiden flight of a 450 do you. <a href="http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22577602&amp;postcount=4610" target="_blank">www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php
</a>
Hoping to get a few more flights in tomorrow as I had to take my son to hospital for his monthly check up today.
<br type="_moz" />