RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   T-Rex heli (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/)
-   -   Whats the best battery for Trex 450? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/7220252-whats-best-battery-trex-450-a.html)

RogerWilson 03-13-2008 05:40 PM

Whats the best battery for Trex 450?

I had a megapower 18C 2200 mah with about 20 flights on it and without warning...PUFF! Swelled up like an angry puffer fish. Charged it with e-sky balance charger at .8 when it happened. I read some reviews on this cheap battery and most folks complained of this happening. I couldn't really get good reviews on the align, thunderpower etc like I had hoped. Any suggestions? I'll pay more now to get something that will last, but if there are less expensive alternatives then I am all ears. Thanks for the input.

Trex 450SE V2

MiniCwik 03-13-2008 06:14 PM

RE: Whats the best battery for Trex 450?

I have puffed two MegaPower packs ... I think the reason is the 18C rating. You want at least 20C for these heli's, I recently got two DN Power 2150 25C packs and WOW, what a difference.

They weigh less and perform so, so, so much better its unbelievable. I'll save the MP packs as spares or give to my bro-in-law for his learning flights.

DN Power, Kong Power, Flight Power, Excite I have heard all good things about.

I have seen some ThunderPowers puffed or I would recommend them.

DN Powers are not as expensive but are backed and came in a great combo deal with a good charger.

Also, do you have a lipo monitor or how long do you fly to make sure you are not overdischarging?

BoysToys 03-13-2008 07:27 PM

I primarily use Flight Power Evo25 3s 2170mah packs for my T-Rex 450 with the 430XL motor. They are a 25C rated pack that provides great power. On top of that Flight Power’s customer service and warranty are EXCELLENT. If you crash and mess up a pack they will sell you a replacement for 50% off. Unfortunately, I have had to take advantage of this in the past. I know that they are one of the more expensive packs out their but it is hard to find someone that is disappointed in their performance or Flight Power’s customer service.

Like MiniCwik stated, you are going to want a pack that is at least 20C. The 430XL is a power hungry motor that will quickly kill a 15 or 18C rated pack.

Skarn 03-13-2008 09:22 PM

I love my Kong Power 2200mah 25c batteries. They are advertized to be puff proof.

I got 2 for $120 from www.techmodelproducts.com

Skarn

babyhuey 03-13-2008 10:07 PM

You have two problems. First the Megapowers are really only good for half their rating and will fail if you push them and second your charger charges through the balance plug but is not a balance charger. I had the same results with them.
You can get batteries for 30-40 dollars and a good charger for $25 from Hobbycity. The other brands will replace their batteries for half price because they charge three to four times what they are worth in the first place. The problem with HobbyCity is that they are in China and the shipping is slow. The good news is that they are opening a place in the US that they can ship from.

BryFlyGuy67 03-14-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Skarn

I love my Kong Power 2200mah 25c batteries. They are advertized to be puff proof.

Skarn
Ditto! ;) I have 4 Kong packs like Skarn. The second two I got in a package deal with the DN charger. Basically got the charger for $20! It's still in the box unused, as I already have a good charger and balancer. [8D]

BeavenX5 03-14-2008 11:18 AM

A123 build from Dewalt pack (10 X 3.3v 2600mAh) are probably by far the best batteries... that is if they fit and are compatible with our heli. You can find a lot of info on the A123 Dewalt packs [link=http://www.slkelectronics.com/DeWalt/index.htm]Here[/link]

What do you guys think of them as far as their effect on the total weigh and center of gravity of our heli? I think they would have to be 4s 13.2v packs as the 3s 9.9v might be a little low on power.

I was kind of hoping to be able to switch to A123 as soon as my Align and Mega Power batteries lets me go. I have no problems so far with my cheap lipos on the T-Rex as I am not done yet with the RADD school (fist 10 batteries without leaving the ground [&o]) and am still far from pushing the 430XL to its limit. I am already using 5s 16.5v A123 batteries on my e-converted 1/10 buggy with great success and would like to try them also on my new twin motor P-38 Lightning.

Does anyone here use A123 on their T-rex 450? I know some do it with the 500 and 600 but they are different bird...

RogerWilson, I hope I am not threadjacking your thread here. I would like to get more info on the A123 with the TRex 450 and, if it works, this would be a great option for you also.

RogerWilson 03-14-2008 07:17 PM

Like I said, I am open to any suggestions. Some guys at the field were talking about those A123's being a possible alternative. No one has tried them yet.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am going to check out all of them on the net and let you know which one I choose. I am just hovering, figure 8's and 360's right now. I don't even have the collective set for negative pitch yet so I'm not really turning up the speed on the 430XL yet. I guess the 25C will let me move up as my skill moves up... sounds like a good choice!

RogerWilson 03-15-2008 07:22 PM

Hecell 11.1V 2100 mah li-po li-poly lipo lipoly 25C COPPER TAB
Anyone heard of these?
or these?
Desire Power Lmt. 2200 mAh 22c 3S1P lipo Packs w/ deans style connector and polyquest /hyperion tap
I just saw them on ebay around $50

Babyhuey made a good recommendation on the Loong power lipos from china check the reviews out!

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=6284

Cheap too!

TheHarpster 03-16-2008 09:40 AM

You may want to take a look at these: http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=6173

I posted a thread on another forum asking if anyone had any experience with them, but didn't get any responses. I've now ordered two of them, but haven't got them yet. I like the fact that they are guaranteed.

If anyone has experience with them I'd like to know. I hadn't heard of the them before, but I am a noob.

BryFlyGuy67 03-16-2008 10:41 AM

AT $60 a pop, that puts their price up their with Kong Packs, which are much more widely tested over many flights. I would have to see really good feedback from this and other forums before taking this leap. Let us know how you like them after 20, 50, 100 flights, etc...

Bryan

BarracudaHockey 03-16-2008 03:49 PM

Bry if you dont want that charger.... :)

I just got a pack in from Great Planes, an Electrifly 25C 2200mah that I'm going to be testing on some 450 size helis. It actually comes presoldered with a deans connector (yay!)

BryFlyGuy67 03-16-2008 04:54 PM

I'll think about it. ;) Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll consider your offer.

Let me know how those other packs work for you. New companies are all of the time getting into the market, and you never know just which is good and which is bad until you get some real-world data from real people on a product-independent web-site. ;)

lookyj 03-29-2008 11:48 AM

I've tried just about every LiPo pack out there, from 2 cell to 6 cell.

Thunder Power
Kong Power
Air Thunder
Lightning Power
Flight Power
DN Power
Mega Power
Xtreme Power
Common Sense RC
Align
Eflite
Esky
Common Sense RC

and I must say the newer packs from Taiwan that advertise "No Puff" are the BEST!

So far, I've seen these packs under many different labels, but I've learned from a reliable distributor that they all come from the same manufacture in Taiwan.

Kong Power
Air Thunder
Lightning Power
Outrage XP

enahs 03-29-2008 06:37 PM

I'm flying the FlightPower Evolite 2500 packs. At 74.95 or so a pop they are a very good battery.

goldslinger 03-30-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Skarn

Skarn
Ditto! ;) I have 4 Kong packs like Skarn. The second two I got in a package deal with the DN charger. Basically got the charger for $20! It's still in the box unused, as I already have a good charger and balancer. [8D]

I third the kongs!

srouthouse 03-31-2008 12:21 AM

forth Kongs

lookyj the cheap lipos from china puff if you fly them hard and or power drops off after 20-40 flights. if you baby them around theyll last a little while at best and they dont stack up against popular good brands for 3d

buy cheap buy twice

it amazes me at all the people who think they have found a magic way around the cost of the hobby like the rest of us are dumb and dont want to try the cheap way.

we have tried cheap and in the long run its more expensive to take shorty cuts

MiniCwik 03-31-2008 07:03 AM

I fifth (love my) Kongs, just need to reconfigure my lipo monitor light as it shows low voltage too soon with the Kongs even with 3.7 left in each cell.

HeliSmith 03-31-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: lookyj

So far, I've seen these packs under many different labels, but I've learned from a reliable distributor that they all come from the same manufacture in Taiwan.

Kong Power
Air Thunder
Lightning Power
Outrage XP

Hey I notice you are from Northridge where do you fly Apollo? I fly there sometimes when I can get away from work I work a mile from there.

Back on topic:
Yeah I heard the same thing that all these batteries are the same but can't say I know for "sure". I didn't realize Outrage XP came from that factory too good info. I have reveiew data on my page for the Lightning Power battery plus I have some with a lot more flights. These batteries put FP and TP to shame in the long haul. Lightning Power are 59.99 each from HeliHobby too... Going to pick up another next week plus one of the Lightning Power chargers.
http://www.helismith.com/reviews.htm

BeavenX5 04-02-2008 01:21 PM

Well I just bought some more A123 cells to make 2 batteries 4S1P at 13.2v and 2200mAh. I will be using them in my P-38 airplane as its 2 motors draw close to 40A together. I would rather use in this plane one 4S A123 battery than two cheap MegaPower 3S 2100mAh 15c lipos in parallel.

I have not flown my T-Rex yet[:o] because of a broken belt and bad weather. As soon as I master my heli well enough to test the A123 batteries in it (it is my first helicopter) I will report in here. Give me about a month:)
I have not found anyone yet who has tried A123 batteries in a T-Rex 450.