RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   T-Rex heli (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/)
-   -   Tower pro servos on Trex -your opinion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/t-rex-heli-435/7740156-tower-pro-servos-trex-your-opinion.html)

OHaussie 07-17-2008 07:02 AM

Tower pro servos on Trex -your opinion

What's everyone's view on tower pro servos for the cyclic on Trex 450?

augerin2 07-17-2008 08:48 AM

RE: Tower pro servos on Trex -your opinion

Can't help never used them
I run Futaba & HiTech on mine Sorry

ArrowNaughtic 07-17-2008 09:30 AM

I have some TP 5010's on my Century Swift for the cyclic and I have had decent luck with them. Not that I would recommend running $10 servos on any expensive heli but for hovering and sloooooow FF they have been ok. I have a set of JR servos waiting to be installed once my tailboom parts get ordered and installed.
On my TREX I run the Hitec HS65's with the karbonite gears. They were expensive ($26 each) but they have held up well. I am of the mind that whatever goes on the cyclic should be the best you can afford. Depending on your flight style you may want to consider something other than $10 servos. Of course that coming from a guy who has a set on his .30 sized heli doesn't say much for his opinion.......heh.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!

OHaussie 07-17-2008 09:41 AM

Arrow,
Thanks.. just trying to decide between two helis I'm looking at buying . For around the same money, one has tp servos and I get some lipos, spares,case etc other has 65's but no lipo's or spares...

cheers.

oly_rcer 07-17-2008 09:57 AM

haven't had any experience with the smaller tp servos but back a while ago i bought 4 full size servos cheep off of ebay(brand new)and installed them in my t maxx.fired it up and started off,next thing i know the truck is wide open throttle,down the block and into the side of a house.a 12 pound truck at 35 mph can do a lot of damage,destroyed the truck and caused bout 300. in damage to the house,fence,garden.took it apart and found that there was no solder on the electronics where a resistor goes.it was on with hot glue and the glue failed which caused my runaway.checked the other 3 servos and they were the same.all would have failed under mild vibration.up to you but no way would i trust my heli or anything else to tp servos.just my 2 cents.thx oly

BoysToys 07-17-2008 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: OHaussie

What's everyone's view on tower pro servos for the cyclic on Trex 450?
I run the cheap Tower Pro/ Hextronic 9g servos on two of my planes. They work great on my Slow Stick and Extra Stiffy, but those are both cheap foam planes. I have also heard of guys running them on their 450 class electric helicopters with success. With that said, I run HS-65mg on my T-Rex 450 and HS-5245mg pm T-Rex 500.

It sounds like the heli with the TP servos may be a better deal. You can get [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLGJ5]3 Pack of HS-65 mg on Tower[/link]for $104 + shipping. Can you replace all the extras that the other comes with for that price? Just the case for my 450 cost me $65 alone.

Good luck with your decision.

MiniCwik 07-17-2008 11:26 AM

I have run them on my 450's, they are okay for standard flying and even worked on rudder for nice piro's but they do not hold up well in crashes, in fact after one crash I had three strip on me. I am running Hitec HS-65HB's and strongly recommend them and love mine, I crashed three times with them before I had to replace the gears and gears sets are inexpensive, less than a TowerPro SG-90.

Plus TowerPro SG-90's do not center that well, when compared to Hitec HS-65HB's.

srouthouse 07-17-2008 10:28 PM

minicwik said it best

as many as you will break in crashes you could have got the best to begin with and have less down time cause you dont have to replace gears/servos all the time

i ran those servos and im so happy i have the good ones now

OHaussie 07-18-2008 06:17 PM

Thanks everyone,
I think I'll go with the 65's.
Cheers.

matador_24 07-25-2008 07:35 AM

yes, do not waste time....

also, get some spare Metal Gears for those servos (at least one) becuause when you smash your heli, sooner or later it will damage the gears and better to have metal.