Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

Enya SS30 BB

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Enya SS30 BB

I still haven't got my airboat ready yet.  It just needs the radio installed.  I guess it could go on the snow.  It's a Big Swamp Buggy.  I got a smaller one too that I haven't tried yet.  It doesn't look like as much fun.  I think the swamp buggy would unload a bit when it is moving too, but I think the low pitch and big dia. props are the fad for them.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: aspeed

I still haven't got my airboat ready yet. It just needs the radio installed. I guess it could go on the snow. It's a Big Swamp Buggy. I got a smaller one too that I haven't tried yet. It doesn't look like as much fun. I think the swamp buggy would unload a bit when it is moving too, but I think the low pitch and big dia. props are the fad for them.
BSB's are heavy and need LOTS of power to go fast. I have one someone else built, its awaiting a complete teardown and rebuild. It needs to lose about 35-40% of its weight. I run wet rudders on all of my boats with only occasional winter runs on air rudders. You need a LOT of room to run an airboat on snow; they just fly and dont stop.

I'm still trying to clean the castor goo off my test stand... That little Enya without a muffler made a royal mess. 25% castor will do that though.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 AM
mcledan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ENYA 25 SS

I have a used Enya 25SS that was in a Wonder. I was wondering if it is BB or not. I took the front housing off but still cant see any bearings. Do I have to pull the crank etc. to see them?

Also, I see the nice testing done on the Enya 30SS. Can I assume that the 25SS will give somewhat simiar results?

Does anyone know if there is any test results for the Enya 25SS in a thread somewhere.

Thanx for any info.

Dan in Ottawa
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: mcledan

ENYA 25 SS

I have a used Enya 25SS that was in a Wonder. I was wondering if it is BB or not. I took the front housing off but still cant see any bearings. Do I have to pull the crank etc. to see them?

Also, I see the nice testing done on the Enya 30SS. Can I assume that the 25SS will give somewhat simiar results?

Does anyone know if there is any test results for the Enya 25SS in a thread somewhere.

Thanx for any info.

Dan in Ottawa
Post #8 in this thread, 25SS AAC 9x5 jxf prop at 13,600rpm peak on 15% fuel. This is on the stock SS muffler. 14,300rpm on a OS 25FX muffler, which is probably larger in volume.

If your engine is a BB engine, there will be a raised "snout" on the front of the engine right behind the prop driver. BB engine:

Bushing engine:
This is on a *bay ad, and its hard to see the front of the housing, but if you look carefully you can see the engine doesnt have the raised bump for the ball bearing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENYA-SS-30-R...4583%26ps%3D54

The bushing engines tend to run a few hundred rpm less than their BB counterparts, generally. Based on the SS25 AAC numbers from above on 15% nitro, It would probably be 300-400rpm less on 5% nitro which is what they should really be ran on.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 PM
mcledan

Thanx. I did not get back to you as I focussed on the other thread, sorry.
I will put the engine back together and try to get a run on it.
It had red thread locker on it, so I will add some fresh stuff and put it togrther.
Its a bit busy, snowy and cold at the moment here in Ottawa..
Its probably a lot nicer Wx wherever you are ;^)
Cheers
Dan
Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: mcledan

Thanx. I did not get back to you as I focussed on the other thread, sorry.
I will put the engine back together and try to get a run on it.
It had red thread locker on it, so I will add some fresh stuff and put it togrther.
Its a bit busy, snowy and cold at the moment here in Ottawa..
Its probably a lot nicer Wx wherever you are ;^)
Cheers
Dan
Red threadlock/Locktite should NOT be used for anything other than something you never want apart. Blue Locktite/threadlock is what you want to use if you need it. What screws had red threadlock on it?

We have a high of +20°F with some wind. Its +10°F right now at 8am Central time. I ran my SS30 the other day and actually had a propane heater going in the garage to thaw my fingers out between prop changes. It got so cold, I had to use a putty knife to scrape the Castor sludge off my test stand and concrete floor. I still dont know why, but I giggled like a little school girl doing this. This gnarly thick oil is almost all I use anymore.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:38 PM
mcledan

Thanx 1QwkSport2.5r. I wont use the red locktite. Blue it will be.
The 4 bolts holding the front housing to the main case had the red locktite.
They were not too hard to remove. OTOH maybe it was some other red compound, dunno.

Its up to 0'C/ 32'F just now with lots of snow from the Colorado Low coming through.
Down to -10C/ 10'F tonight, -15C/ 4'F and staying there for a few days.

I wont be running my engine in the garage.

Cheers
Dan

Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 AM
123Cat

Do you run the airboat with the flat bottom that kind of slides in the turns , Ive had a ST45 in one and its good , The heli mufflers have that big volume and they claim some good power , I dont doubt it , I run a mini pipe so I have not tried big volume , but it looks good
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: 123Cat

Do you run the airboat with the flat bottom that kind of slides in the turns , Ive had a ST45 in one and its good , The heli mufflers have that big volume and they claim some good power , I dont doubt it , I run a mini pipe so I have not tried big volume , but it looks good
I have had my Enya SS30 on a hydrofoil lately. It's a great running engine and puts out some good power. I do not use air rudders much as I prefer the sharp control a wet rudder provides. They turn like cars this way.