Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

MDS .18

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MDS .18

These engines seem to have a rather bad reputation around here, not sure why, perhaps overpropped or too much nitro (?). Here is what I get on 10%nitro (and 20% all castor) one extra head shim and the stock Quiet muffler:

7x4 APC: 19800rpm (not fully leaned, sounded a bit scary)

7x5 JFX: 18200rpm (idle down to about 4500rpm)

Here is a short movie with the 7x5 prop:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3F1I7wBBBA[/youtube]
Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: MDS .18

What does it weigh?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MDS .18

The engine itself is not too bad for a ballbearing, true ABC, engine and without the muffler it weights: 172g (about 6.05 oz)

The stock muffler is a quiet one, with an internal baffle, and it is made very bulky. It does make the engine very quiet at low revs but the weight is a little high. There are also two versions of the mufflers, the older one that came with the .17 and early .18 engines weights about 45g (1.6 oz) while the newer one weights a wopping 60g (2.1 oz). The older muffler has an engraved "MDS" marking while the newer (and heavier) has a casted "MDS" text in the same place (near the inlet).

The bolt pattern is the same as most other .15 engines though, and the stock muffler (without baffle) from the Magnum/ASP .15XLS is a direct drop in. It is much louder though and doesn't improve the power much on small props, but the weight of that one is only about 33g (1.2 oz).

So with the Magnum muffler one would get a total weight around 205g (7.2 oz) which is quite competitive.

One could also rotate the cylinder (before the first run) to get a rear exhaust and put on a tuned pipe, but I haven't tried that (yet).