Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

DLE 20 With ES Composites 26G Pipe

Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 AM
SpinnerRow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DLE 20 With ES Composites 26G Pipe

I have a DLE 20 with about a half gallon of fuel through it. I got right at 8100 with the stock muffler and 8800-8850 on the pipe. Tune was set right before it would 4cyl on the pipe so it was set a bit rich but the way it sounded coming on the pipe, had me worried about it being lean. Very nice combo. Pricey, yes but very light. Thrust calculator says about 16lb of thrust and on the 9lb plane the engine is on (.60 size Texas RC Planes Drastik), it already had unlimited vertical so it should be just about perfect now!

I'd like to thank aerobear on here for his help and research on this combo. He has a nice sliding header setup that he uses to dial in a header length really quick. Thanks man!

Engine: DLE 20
Prop: Xoar 17x6
Fuel: 89 Octane
Oil: Stihl HP Ultra at 32:1
Tuned Pipe: [link=http://www.escomposites.com/petrol.htm]ES Composites ES26G[/link]
Header: Macs Products 2986 Header
Header Length: 7" measured from the header flange down the center line of the header tube.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99044.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1781773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29807.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1781774  
Old 07-14-2012, 10:11 AM
krayzc-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DLE 20 With ES Composites 26G Pipe

SpinnerRow

That is a nice set-up when are u due to put her in the air? keep us posted on your findings, i love power!
Old 07-14-2012, 01:35 PM
SpinnerRow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

SpinnerRow

That is a nice set-up when are u due to put her in the air? keep us posted on your findings, i love power!
I've been flying it without the pipe for a month or so but I'll fly it tomorrow with the new found powwwwaaahhhhh!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:39 PM
SpinnerRow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flew it five times today. NOW THAT IS WHAT I'm TALKING ABOUT!

Man, it is crazy how much of a difference a few hundred RPM makes on a plane. THat Xoar was rippin' a bit on the down lines. Engine itself is very quiet now and off idle, the carburetor is louder than the exhaust. At idle, all you hear is the whirrr of the prop. Blip the throttle and the carburetor makes a nice "FEED ME" sound. Very nice step up when it comes on the pipe to. More than a few were impressed with the combo today.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:23 PM
krayzc-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh man that set up sounds like it was oh so sweet. Yes i am with you a few hundred RPM's can make a big difference nice deal for ya
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
captinjohn

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

I have a DLE 20 with about a half gallon of fuel through it. I got right at 8100 with the stock muffler and 8800-8850 on the pipe. Tune was set right before it would 4cyl on the pipe so it was set a bit rich but the way it sounded coming on the pipe, had me worried about it being lean. Very nice combo. Pricey, yes but very light. Thrust calculator says about 16lb of thrust and on the 9lb plane the engine is on (.60 size Texas RC Planes Drastik), it already had unlimited vertical so it should be just about perfect now!

I'd like to thank aerobear on here for his help and research on this combo. He has a nice sliding header setup that he uses to dial in a header length really quick. Thanks man!

Engine: DLE 20
Prop: Xoar 17x6
Fuel: 89 Octane
Oil: Stihl HP Ultra at 32:1
Tuned Pipe: [link=http://www.escomposites.com/petrol.htm]ES Composites ES26G[/link]
Header: Macs Products 2986 Header
Header Length: 7" measured from the header flange down the center line of the header tube.

Do you think the rod bearings will hold up on this set-up? Capt,n
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Ernie Misner

And is it too pipey for 3D?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 AM
SpinnerRow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

And is it too pipey for 3D?
The pipe added a pronounced 800rpm step up and I left the pipe a bit long at that. It isn't a smooth RPM curve any more like the DLE 20 is known for. It is high on the fun factor though. The heli guys in my club laughed at my plane with this long black pipe on it when they first saw it but when I accelerated straight up about as fast as some of their .90 sized helis, there were a few "holy s**t" coming from the gallery.

The down side is that the midrange can be a bit bubbly if you fly it at part throttle for a while but admittedly, I run mine slightly on the rich side since the pipe adds quite a bit of heat to the engine at WOT. The power has about killed the plane the engine is on though (Texas R/C Planes Drastik .60 size). I've broken the rudder and elevator a couple of times and the firewall strength is coming into question despite having beefed this thing up quite a bit when I built it. I'm currently looking for a new plane to put this engine combo on as it is just too much fun. A profile in the 8lb range might be interesting as the power to weight ratio would be right at 2:1.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Ernie Misner

Very interesting Spinner! What do you use for a header and did you shorten it or leave stock length? I wonder if a little more length would clean up the mid range at expense of the top end.

Thanks, Ernie
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 PM
earlwb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is really cool. it reminds me of my old classic pattern flying days with .60 engines and tuned pipes.
Congratulations on a job well done.  Yeah the tuned pipes tend to cause the engine to run more rich in the mid range, as you have to have the engine more rich on the high end for when it comes up on the pipe and needs more fuel then.

Search this Thread