Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: AP .15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AP .15

AP .15, 10% nitro, 7-5" MA G3 prop. no muffler, 15,700 rpm, home made control line venturi .240" 17,200 rpm, RC carb and muffler 13,300rpm. I made a new outlet tube and drilled it to a bit less than 6mm 15,500 rpm.
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Got busy and made some turbo plugs for a few motors. This one wouldn't run on suction with no muffler and the new turbo head, so I put the drilled out muffler on for pressure using the .240" control line carb I made. 17,100 rpm. That is good compared to the old equal 15,500. I could run a bladder and try it with no muffler but don't like getting fuel squirted in my face, but if the 17,200 rpm gets bumped up 1,600 rpm like the muffled one 18,800 would be pretty good for a $31 motor. Tomorrow I will try the AP .09 head with the original rc carb if I get time. Hmm maybe an OS LA .15 head would be good. I made up 14 blanks. The Fox .15 head is better too, as well as the TT .07.
    Last edited by aspeed; 09-25-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Making up a head to use a turbo plug is a pretty good idea to improve the performance of the engines.
    I like it. I have thought about adapting a couple of heads or head buttons to Turbo plugs too.

I wonder if a .049 engine would benefit from using a Turbo plug. Did you ever make a Cox .049 head for a turbo plug and run it?
    Last edited by earlwb; 09-26-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo correction
    Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I wouldn't bother with the Cox .049 because the stock TD Norvel and Merlin plugs are optimal anyway. Just motors with the standard 1/4-32 thread are worth doing. Anything over a .30 likely isn't worth doing either. Some older off brand .049 motors may be worth a try, as well as the CS GZ motors. The CS and GZ had some Nelson heads available, but the base of them is still about 1mm bigger in diameter so there isn't much room to make a normal style combustion chamber.. A TD .15 may be an option if there is enough meat left. I did a Thunder Tiger .07 that responded real well in two out of three motors. The one was just worn out, or the QC was just real bad. I did an AP .09 and an LA .15 today. The LA was only a bit better on the first try anyway. The .09 is good. I could try some shims or raise the compression a bit, I'll post it.
    Last edited by aspeed; 09-26-2013 at 02:22 PM.