Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DLE20 as a replacement for Saito FA-180

I have a Sukhoi that is at least 10years old... I bought it recently from a guy who used it and other planes to accumulate dust in his garage...

The Sukhoi has a 75 inch wing span and had a SAito FA 180 on in... the guy said it was way too much power for that plane... I don't know...

I couldn't get the 180 to fire up so I went and bought a brand new DLE 20 for the plane... I just had a rude thought... what if the DLE20 isn't enough motor?

the original FA-180 online reviews says it had 2.8HP and the DLE20 says 2.5HP... but horsepower doesn't mean anything.. right?

what do you guys think?
    President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, warbird brotherhood
    Member of the Scale Squadron of Southern California
    Member of the One Eighth Air Force - Arizona
    Spitfire Brotherhood - Member #202
    P-47 Brotherhood - Member #105
    3rd place - ProAm Sportsman - U.S. Scale Masters 2014 GunSmoke Qualifier
    Warbirds over the Rockies 2014 - Best ARF Bash
    Frank Migliaccio
    949-636-5666

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: DLE20 as a replacement for Saito FA-180

I am sure it will fly it but I dont think it will hover it at all. From what I have read I think the 20 just falls short of the Saito 150 in power if the Saito is on 15% nitro. I also think the numbers are about 200-400 rpm short of a OS 120 AX. I know many claim it has more power than the OS 120 but in the smaller props around 13-16" it doesnt. it might be close in the 18" size props though.
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the DLE 20 will fly it and hover it but I doubtit will have much ability to pull it out of the hover vertically.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Saito 1.80 is a 30cc glow four stroke engine that develops almost as much power as a 30cc glow two stroke engine.
    The DLE 20cc engine is smaller in displacement and also is a gasoline engine that doesn't develop as much power as a equivalent size glow engine does.
    So it may work, but it is hard to say, one guy will claim the plane was overpowered and another buy will claim it is underpowered with a particular engine. But it doesn't hurt to try it out anyway, the engine will power the plane OK, but only you will know for sure if it has enough power for your style of flying.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those large glow engines don't need any nitro and not as much oil as a smaller two stroke glow.  Methanol is actually cheaper than gas right now.  If you mix the fuel yourself it will cost only a buck or so more than gas right now.  I would keep the Saito on it and try it.  If it won't fire it is either not getting fuel or has a bad glow plug.

Glow Head Brotherhood #15