Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

OS Max H 40 RC

Old 06-09-2017, 08:50 AM
SuperNash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS Max H 40 RC

Out from the furthest reaches of the engine drawer...

OS Max H 40 RC. Dykes ringed, dual BB, quite the chap in its day. Air bleed carb though, twin needles came a few years later.

Silencer used was a universal 40 sized dustbin job. It was very quiet, and I suspect a little restrictive.

5% nitro
Plug of unknown age and origin, all I know is it had an idle bar.
11x6 APC
9700 rpm.

Easy starting. Not bad throttling considering the simplicity of the carb (complete with wobbly needle valve). Although probably equalled in power by a modern 32, it tips the scales at much the same weight as a modern 32. Fuel consumption was good, too, a 5 minute run had barely used 2oz.

I might try another run with different plug and a lighter prop.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:32 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're getting very low power according to this...OS Max-H 40 RC

Interesting that it weighs about the same as the much later 40FP and made more power. Of course, it was expensive in its day and targeted a different market, but picking up a good used one now is not a bad idea.

Jim
Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperNash
Out from the furthest reaches of the engine drawer...

OS Max H 40 RC. Dykes ringed, dual BB, quite the chap in its day. Air bleed carb though, twin needles came a few years later.

Silencer used was a universal 40 sized dustbin job. It was very quiet, and I suspect a little restrictive.

5% nitro
Plug of unknown age and origin, all I know is it had an idle bar.
11x6 APC
9700 rpm.

Easy starting. Not bad throttling considering the simplicity of the carb (complete with wobbly needle valve). Although probably equalled in power by a modern 32, it tips the scales at much the same weight as a modern 32. Fuel consumption was good, too, a 5 minute run had barely used 2oz.

I might try another run with different plug and a lighter prop.
I got 11,000 Revs on a MAS 11X6 with zero nitro. This engine is at it's best with a 10X6, you gotta let the engine unwind to see it's true potential.