Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Tachometer Readings
Reload this Page >

O.S 1.60FX Owners. Post your tach readings

Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

O.S 1.60FX Owners. Post your tach readings

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 07:15 PM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transition

monkeyhead,

You HAVE to LEAN the low speed needle. VERY lean. Lean it out until the engine will not hold an idle, it should speed up then die. After each adjustment, re-tune the high speed needle. They interact with each other. Once the engine will not continue an idle, slowly (1/16th turn at a time) richen the low speed until it does hold a continuous idle. This should provide the best transition. Mine will idle at 1800 rpm for over a full minute and still go to full throttle without hesitation.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:09 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S 1.60FX Owners. Post your tach readings

I once turned the low speed screw in so much that it fell off into the carb. My 1.6 seems to like the low speed screw just a turn or 2 before it will fall off; otherwise, the idle will be rich.

I think the engine can do 3D OK on a capable airframe if you use a light wood prop. I have good result with Pro Zinger 18x8.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:19 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Just this past weekend.

About 50 degrees
10% Cool Power
Jett In-Cowl Muffler
Perry Oscillating Pump
Pro Zinger 18-8 prop

Peak about 8500 rpms
run at about 8100

Very ho hum on my 13 pound Extra 300xs (Sig Arf)

I initially tried a Mezlick 19x8, but the engine could hardly turn it. Didn't even take a reading. Anyone interested in a Mezlick 19x8 prop? ($35 Shipped).
Old 12-31-2002, 04:47 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default flight tomorrow!!!

i finished my install of a OS-160 this evening. I will post some rpm numbers tomorrow.

The guys that are running the vp-30 pump were are you getting your pressure from?
Old 01-01-2003, 06:20 PM
krayzc-RCU

skerlock
your starting method is on the money. i have started mine on the 1st flip numerous time while setting up the motor with the vp-30 pump and making various needle adjustments. Looks like i am about 3/4 turn on the high end with a good idle. My hobbico tach is not seeing the RPM to well so i can't say with safty how much my RPMs are at this point on the low end. Sometimes the tach would say 1900-2100 and the motor has not chance in RPM. I will hook up with my flying buddy and use his tach so that i can try out both of the props i have:

18 x 6 Mejzlik
18 x 6 APC
Old 01-03-2003, 12:38 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Brand New (broken in) 1.60FX
18x6 Top Flight Power Point
15% PowerMaster Fuel
9000rpm, lousy transition, dead sticks- Seems fine on the ground though.
San Diego
Old 01-03-2003, 05:07 AM
krayzc-RCU

i went out today to fly the prop 18 x 6 mejzlik. i had install a nyrod type of linkage like the ones used on gas i end up burning it about 3 minutes into the flight. its was still connected but i was unable to go full throttle or kill the motor. I tached 9400 on the mejzlik richen to 9200. For the short flight i off course had unlimted verticle, and had the chance to hang on the prop for about 10 seconds. The motor is very quiet on the ground and in the air. I was able to get it to idle as low as 1450 but i did not fly it that low. I set it up for 1800 rpm idle. I will have a 4-40 rod installed tomorrrow so i should have more scoop coming soon. Mine has been a slow getting the motor adjusted just right but don't be afraid of touching the low end needle to help make the final process go well.

MHawker: How many tanks or oz. have you ran thru you motor for the break in process.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:15 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

mhawker,

Do you have any knocking sounds in the mid range?

If you do it is too lean.

My engine always ran flawlessly.

I used a fuel with 18% oil of with 20% was castor. What is your set up?

I have a friend that is using a Bisson ST 4500 muffler on his as it bolts right up and is very quiet. He is getting 9400 rpm with a Mezjilk 18X6 with flawless performance.

Brian
Old 01-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Aerosplat

Default Bad transition

MHawker

I also had bad transition. And mine would load up in midrange in the air, although it ran fine on the ground. The KEY to solving this problem is LEAN low speed needle. See my reply to monkeyhead (post # 51) above. Mine has not dead-sticked since I got the low speed lean. I now do not touch the low end, just peak the high end each flying day.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Aerosplat

Default Getting stronger

Put three more flights on my Lanier Edge / OS 1.60 yesterday. I have now burned about 3 1/2 gallons of Cool Power 15%. Yesterday I was getting 8750 - 8800 RPM with the Pro Zinger 18x6. (up from 8600)

krayzc,
I hope you got your throttle rod fixed. I am anxiously awaiting your results for the APC vrs Mejzlik.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:27 AM
krayzc-RCU

Aerosplat

Today was such a good flying day (weather). I started the OS-160 out at the field and spend a few minutes getting tyhe thorttle set were i had full and could also kill the motor. I set the RPM for 9250-9300 RPM. The motor was so strong it was hard to lhold the plane strainght up by myself using my foot to kill the throttle on the transmitter. anyway while i was running the motor on the ground after 15-30 seconds of idle to check the transition, i lost one elevator 1/2 with 2 of the 3 CA hinges breaking. Now i am out of CA hinges so now i need to run to the hobby store to pick up somemore tomorrow plus do the repairs. Man talk about bummed. Were are you located Aerosplat? I actully have 2 mejzlik and 2 apc. I may need to send you one for testing at the rate things are going on my end of town. I hope i can get a lot accomplished tomorrow. talk with you soon....
Old 01-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Aerosplat

Default Where am I

Jut sent you PM.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:29 AM
krayzc-RCU

Aerosplat:

I sent you off a prop hopefully it will make it to GA thur. Its very windy here all of a sudden. I repaird the hinges on the bipe so hopefully i will be right behind you in testing the props this week.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:30 AM
MHawker

Default Thanks

Thanks all for the suggestions on my 1.60. We had it out at the field the other day and the Club Pres (old timer) helped us set the low end. You were right, we leaned it almost one full turn!

I could not test it, as someone noticed my right wing rotating on the wing tube. Seems I didn't glue the wing pins very good. PHEW! That might have been bad.

Anyway, I just opened my box from Desert Aircraft. I ordered two Mejzlik props. One 18x8 and one 18x6. ahhhhh Carbon Fiber. I don't care if it makes any difference, they are cool looking. Plus, I hear they do make a difference. I also have an APC 18x6W on order, so I can help in the testing area.

Hopefully, I can report back this weekend.

Later.

Mike
Old 01-10-2003, 12:57 AM
Aerosplat

Default Props

MHawker,
I feel pretty sure leaning the low end will put you flying the way you want to. Glad you discovered the loose pins. That could have been real bad.
I will be interested to see the difference between the Mejzilk 18x6 and 18x8. Also, we can compare our impressions of the APC vrs Mejzlik 18x6 props.

krayzc,
The Mejzlik 18x6 arrived today. VERY nice looking prop. It weighed 3.2 oz on my digital scale. If weather permits, I will test it this weekend and compare with the APC 18x6W. Thanks so much for making this test possible.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:18 AM
Aerosplat

Default Mejzlik vrs APC vrs Zinger pro

It was Cold around Atlanta on Sunday (41 F) but I got out to fly anyway.

I did in Flight comparisons with the Mejzlik 18x6, APC 18x6W, and Pro Zinger 18x6. All on my OS 1.60 FX / Lanier Edge 540T (120 size).

This post is to report my personal experience and offer my OPINION, nothing more.

The Pro Zinger has the thickest airfoil of the three, and is in the middle as fas as leading edge to trailing edge width.

The Mejzlik is in the middle for airfoil thickness, and has the smallest leading edge to trailing edge width.

The APC is thinest for airfoil, and has the most leading edge to trailing edge width.

For all around flying, I still like the Pro Zinger. Weight, 2.2 oz. IT peaks at 8850, backed off to 8700 for flying. IT has Good vertical pulling power, moves great volumes of air over the control surfaces at stall speed, and is light enough to allow the engine to spin up fairly quickly. Good down line breaking.

In comparison, the Mejzlik. Weight 3.2 oz. IT peaked at 9600, I backed off to 9400 for flying. Vertical pull (hover and pullout) is about equal to the Zinger. However, in a flat spin I noticed less control surface effect, which would indicate the Mejzilk is not moving as much air as the Zinger. The extra weight of the prop caused noticeably sluggish throttle response. This was very apparent in The Wall, and Waterfall. Down-line breaking was not as good as the Zinger.

The APC. Weight 4.8 oz. It peaked at 9150, backed off to 9000 for flying. The APC is KING for vertical pulling. It accelerates noticeably more aggressive out of a hover. It also moves great volumes of air over the control surfaces at stall speed. However, the weight of this prop turns the OS into a real DOG for throttle response, spin up is very slow. Also, down line breaking suffers because the weight of the prop acts like a big heavy flywheel and the engine just does not slow down.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:35 AM
MHawker

THANKS Aero! Great report! I was out flying this past weekend, but did not get to fly my Extra. This weekend for sure. My APC's came in today too, so I will pick them up to try. I will also be able to add a Mejzlik 18x8 to the mix.

You sound much more experienced than I am (i.e. wall, waterfall) so hopefully I can add a viewpoint from a less experienced flyer.

Thanks again!

Mike
Old 01-15-2003, 04:12 PM
krayzc-RCU

Aerosplat:
thanks for enduring the cold and helping us all learn more on the props for this beast. I flew the APC yesterday and agree total with the way the props spools up. I did not get any 3d in as it was 2 cold and my eyes kept watering. Not a good thing in 3d you know. I think i will put the apc on my extra for doing the imac thing around here. I will try the zinger pro as soon as i can get one for the DP Bipe and a DA funtana. The mejzlik i am not sure about what they will be used for just yet.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:53 AM
MHawker

Default ughhh

I am having one hell of a time with this 160FX. I know it's a muffler pressure problem, but I hate having to screw with it.

Went out today and flew a few times. A couple minutes into the third or so flight, the engine started knocking and it wouldn't rev.... crap.... overheating.

We brought it in, and, once again, tried to mess with the high end. It had no affect. We could turn it out until it came all the way out and it did nothing.

We even BYPASSED the high end screw all together. Still nothing. Then we plugged one port on the Slimline and with the bypass still there, it would actually run rich. WHATEVER.

I'm off to order a pressure fitting for it so I can run a pump.

UGHHHH!

Mike
Old 01-19-2003, 06:10 AM
monkeyhead

Default Pump It!

I was having the same problem as you, not top end. I got a Perry pump and now the engine runs great. It is the VP-30 and is powered off crankcase pressure. The best $30.00 I've spent on this plane. I now have both my 1.60's pumped. I' using PowerMaster 15% glow, OS #8 plug, JZinger 18X8 prop and I'm maxed out at 8,000 solid. I have good smoke in flight, and unlimited power through the vertical. With the pump, I held the plane vert. and idle for 5 minutes, and not a sputter; then transitioned to full power with no hesitation. I highly recommend getting pumped. For the cost, you won't have anymore headaches, and you won't regret it.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:14 AM
monkeyhead

Default Stupid Question

Do ytou have adequate cooling vents in your cowl? Are you able to get enough air around and by your engine to keep it from overheating? Just a thought...
Old 01-19-2003, 03:31 PM
PlaneKrazee

If the engine is knocking it IS the low end. The low end screw affects the midrange.

Set the low end by the pinch test then richen 1/4 turn. Set the high end 300 rpm rich. Test fly, if it still knocks in the midrange, richen the low end a little more and re-adjust the high end. When you have the engine set up correctly you should have a very reliable 1500-1800 rpm idle, good excelleration and an engine that does not overheat.

I had over 16 gallons thru mine before trying the Jett Muffler and it always ran great!

I have run this engine with the following props, all RPM are 300 rich for flying. Mezjlik 20X6: 7800,20X8 too much load, APC 18X6: 9100, 18X8: 8200, Bolly 18X8: 7800, Bolly 16.5X10 three blade 7800. All tests with Jtec Dual snuffler muffer, Byron 15% nitro, 18% oil, 20% of which is castor.

Best vertical and down line breaking, Mezlik 20X6.
Best all around but loud at rpm, APC 18X6.
Most Quiet and scale like flight with my 14.5# Yellow Aircraft 1.20 Size Extra 300L, Bolly three blade.

I forgot to add all readings were taken with Hobbico extensions on the muffler to keep the plane clean. Clean up required 1/2 sheet of paper towel at the end of the day.

Brian
Old 01-19-2003, 10:19 PM
MHawker

Thanks Skypilot.

I'm really confused as to why some people with the same set up have such drastic differences in performance. So far though, the consenus seems to be the pump fixes the problem.

I am looking for a stock muffler to add to the mix. Another guy with the same set up I have, replaced his slimline with a stock muffler and the thing ran great.

Thanks Monkeyhead,

I *think* I have enough cooling. We used a temp gauge the last time we had it out, and it was never above 180. I ordered a pressure fitting from Tower (the one that fits the 140 and 160 FI models). I'll be trying a pump next weekend if it comes in. They are backordered.

Oh, I was getting 9300 rpm with a Zinger (not pro) 18x6 prop.

Thanks again guys.

Mike
Old 01-20-2003, 01:09 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Originally posted by MHawker
Thanks Skypilot.

I am looking for a stock muffler to add to the mix. Another guy with the same set up I have, replaced his slimline with a stock muffler and the thing ran great.

Mike
Hey there,

I have an unused stock muffler sitting around, as I am using a BCM Pitts. If you are interested, let me know
Old 01-20-2003, 03:39 AM
PlaneKrazee

Default 160 muffler

For what it is worth, a friend uses a Super Tigre 4500 Bisson muffler with great results! It is quiet and allows the engine to breath. You may be able to find one used. Just add the Hobbico exhaust deflectors and you will have a fairly light, quiet and clean setup. The Bisson BGX pitts is the same muffler as the ST. The difference between the Mufflers is volume. The 160 pitts is 1 1/4" thick and the BGX/ST is 1 5/8" thick.

brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.