Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

New Saito 100 / First 4 Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 01:54 AM
KJSmitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Saito 100 / First 4 Stroke

Hi all,
First post... I've been reading the posts on rpm for the saito 100. I spent the last few weeks breaking mine in and currently have achieved 9300-9500 rpm. I am using a 14/8 prop and Powermaster 30% fuel. I was curious where you saito 100 owners ended up on the high-speed needle valve adjustment. I started out at 5 turns open as per the manual but am now at ~ 1 and 3/4 turns out... It actually had its best rpm at ~1 and 1/2 but I backed it out some to lower the rpm by 300. I'm not one to use "amount of turns" as a way of setting the engine, I just was curious what others where ending up with. My plan is to run mainly 14/8 and 14/6 APC's on "her".

Thanks for your info
Old 02-02-2003, 03:15 AM
blabree-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds like you have it nailed. You are right, the number of turns is not important unless there is a problem. The actual turns will depend on the weather, fuel viscosity, altitude of the flying field, tank position, size of fuel lines, and a myriad of other small details. As long as you always make the first start of the day with a rich setting and then tune for highest rpm and back off about 300 rpm, you are on track. It shouldnt be necessary to set the needle any more that day unless vibration or some other outside influence occurs.
Guys who make the statement,"The carb was set correctly from the factory and I have not touched it in two years" are either lying or totally ignorant of model engine operating proceedures. These are most likely the guys who end up cooking their engines or making a whole lot of dead stick landings and aborted(flamed out) take off attempts. You might consider a slightly larger prop or a little more pitch. It sounds like a very strong Saito 100. Saito engines although capable of 9300 rpm tend to be really happy in the 8500 to 9000 range and last a long time if they arent "on the edge" all the time

My two cents worth.

blabree
Old 02-03-2003, 10:22 PM
onewasp

blabree

If they are talking about glow you are right, and of course here we are.

However, when talking gassers I know of engines running on factory settings for well over two years and they are performers.

Just a little clarification.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:40 AM
falcon5619

What kind of run times have you been getting? I am also breaking in a new Saito 100 on my ultra stick with the included 10.8oz fuel tank. However, I am only getting about 5 minutes with the needle about 2 - 2-1/4 turns out. I am using CoolPower 15%.

Thanks,

-Gregg
Old 02-17-2003, 03:40 AM
onewasp

Power doesn't come cheap. A 16 oz. tank wont cut it on the 150/180. I'm now in the process of building to accommodate a 24.5 oz. tank.

Fuel consumption appears to be about 2 oz per minute while flying a routine. Translated ,that means that the below full power time is minimal. Only in the stalled maneuvers, downlines, the back sides of loops, the various eights and humpty bumps.

That really doesn't add up to much power off time.