Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

ST G45 and Magnum 46XLS

Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Jezmo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ST G45 and Magnum 46XLS

Just bought two new engines, one Supertigre G45 and a Magnum 46 XLS. Both were broken in by running approximately 40 oz. of fuel through each on the bench.

Fuel used in both = Byron's 15%.
Prop = Master Airscrew S2 10X7
Plug used in both = OS #8.
Air temp at test time = 86 deg.

Supertigre with stock muffler = 15,100
Supertigre with Tower muffler = No Change
The Supertigre muffler is noticeably quieter and the Tower muffler is lighter although I didn't weigh it to see how much lighter.

Magnum with stock muffler = 14,000
Magnum with Tower muffler = 15,200

Sometimes the Magnum would make 15,300 but it wasn't consistant so I lissted it at 15,200.

Transition on both was great as they came from the Manufacturer. The Magnum, with the Tower muffler, was too rich at about 3/4 throttle when peaked for max rpm and with the idle set as lean as possible. It ran perfect with the stock mufler so I assume the lower muffler pressure on the Tower muffler causes this effect. Just some observations to share with the group. Have a great day all. [8D]
Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
NikolayTT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ST G45 and Magnum 46XLS

Thanks ! Let me mention only that is seems to me that you are running with too "easy" propeller and the rpm
you get might ruin your Magnum at least. How about diameter of 11 at least, or you are aiming at speed with
small and light model ? Still, if you wand that high RPM, I would think of changing the fuel to lot more oil,
like 20-25%, that would not decrese the power while the life of the engine might be prolonged a lot,
especially if you use lot of Castor in the oil.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:32 PM
RCAddiction

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My well-used Magnum 46XLS with JettStream muffler, CoolPower 15%, OS A3 plug turns an APC 12x4 at 14,100 - 14,300 rpm, depending on weather, typically richened to 13,800-13,900 for flight.

The JettStream muffler is of course quite a bit more costly than a Tower muffler, and I've run both. However, I find the engine runs better, has smoother throttle response and is considerably more powerful with the Jettstream.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:30 AM
asmund

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I get 14700 on the APC 12-4 running 30/23 fuel and Towermuffler in my 52 XLS, absolutely love that engine. It still have pinch on top when removing the plug, after several gallons of torture. I think the sleeves in these newer Magnum`s (XLS) are virtually indestructable. I don`t think high rpm`s are gonna kill them at all
Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 AM
asmund

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You have very good numbers on that Jettstreame`d 46. When I run 15% I get 14400 (just a hair more than your 46) rpm on my 52 with Tower muffler. I wonder if the Jettstream would boost even more? But it is a little too expensive I feel and I have enough already.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:36 AM
RCAddiction

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you have enough power for your application, there's probably no need for the $$ JettStream muffler for your 52.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:09 PM
asmund

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That`s what I`ve been thinking too, but it sure would be fun to try it were it not for the cost of it is almost the same as for the engine itself[]
Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 PM
RCAddiction

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I flew it today in my OMP Edge profile, which weighs an ounce or 2 less than 5 lbs. It rockets vertically out of a hover, and has excellent throttle response back and forth when rocking the throttle in a hover.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:27 AM
estradajae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Engine: Magnum XLS
Glow Plug: Tower Glow plug
Propeller: MAS 11x6
Fuel: homebrew 80/20 castor.
RPM: 12300

Propeller: APC 12x4
RPM 12500 aprox.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Jezmo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Jezmo

Just bought two new engines, one Supertigre G45 and a Magnum 46 XLS. Both were broken in by running approximately 40 oz. of fuel through each on the bench.

Fuel used in both = Byron's 15%.
Prop = Master Airscrew S2 10X7
Plug used in both = OS #8.
Air temp at test time = 86 deg.

Supertigre with stock muffler = 15,100
Supertigre with Tower muffler = No Change
The Supertigre muffler is noticeably quieter and the Tower muffler is lighter although I didn't weigh it to see how much lighter.

Magnum with stock muffler = 14,000
Magnum with Tower muffler = 15,200

Sometimes the Magnum would make 15,300 but it wasn't consistant so I lissted it at 15,200.

Transition on both was great as they came from the Manufacturer. The Magnum, with the Tower muffler, was too rich at about 3/4 throttle when peaked for max rpm and with the idle set as lean as possible. It ran perfect with the stock mufler so I assume the lower muffler pressure on the Tower muffler causes this effect. Just some observations to share with the group. Have a great day all. [8D]
I finally got around to weighing the Tower and SuperTigre mufflers and the Tower muffler is 3 oz. lighter than the ST.

Search this Thread