Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ST G45 and Magnum 46XLS

Just bought two new engines, one Supertigre G45 and a Magnum 46 XLS. Both were broken in by running approximately 40 oz. of fuel through each on the bench.

Fuel used in both = Byron's 15%.
    Prop = Master Airscrew S2 10X7
    Plug used in both = OS #8.
    Air temp at test time = 86 deg.

Supertigre with stock muffler = 15,100
    Supertigre with Tower muffler = No Change
    The Supertigre muffler is noticeably quieter and the Tower muffler is lighter although I didn't weigh it to see how much lighter.

Magnum with stock muffler = 14,000
    Magnum with Tower muffler = 15,200

Sometimes the Magnum would make 15,300 but it wasn't consistant so I lissted it at 15,200.

Transition on both was great as they came from the Manufacturer. The Magnum, with the Tower muffler, was too rich at about 3/4 throttle when peaked for max rpm and with the idle set as lean as possible. It ran perfect with the stock mufler so I assume the lower muffler pressure on the Tower muffler causes this effect. Just some observations to share with the group. Have a great day all. [8D]
    Spektrum DX8i, DA DLE SuperTigre OS FOX Saito Enya Jett TT: John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ST G45 and Magnum 46XLS

Thanks ! Let me mention only that is seems to me that you are running with too "easy" propeller and the rpm
    you get might ruin your Magnum at least. How about diameter of 11 at least, or you are aiming at speed with
    small and light model ? Still, if you wand that high RPM, I would think of changing the fuel to lot more oil,
    like 20-25%, that would not decrese the power while the life of the engine might be prolonged a lot,
    especially if you use lot of Castor in the oil.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My well-used Magnum 46XLS with JettStream muffler, CoolPower 15%, OS A3 plug turns an APC 12x4 at 14,100 - 14,300 rpm, depending on weather, typically richened to 13,800-13,900 for flight.

The JettStream muffler is of course quite a bit more costly than a Tower muffler, and I've run both. However, I find the engine runs better, has smoother throttle response and is considerably more powerful with the Jettstream.
    Lee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I get 14700 on the APC 12-4 running 30/23 fuel and Towermuffler in my 52 XLS, absolutely love that engine. It still have pinch on top when removing the plug, after several gallons of torture. I think the sleeves in these newer Magnum`s (XLS) are virtually indestructable. I don`t think high rpm`s are gonna kill them at all

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You have very good numbers on that Jettstreame`d 46. When I run 15% I get 14400 (just a hair more than your 46) rpm on my 52 with Tower muffler. I wonder if the Jettstream would boost even more? But it is a little too expensive I feel and I have enough already.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you have enough power for your application, there's probably no need for the $$ JettStream muffler for your 52.
    Lee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That`s what I`ve been thinking too, but it sure would be fun to try it were it not for the cost of it is almost the same as for the engine itself[]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew it today in my OMP Edge profile, which weighs an ounce or 2 less than 5 lbs. It rockets vertically out of a hover, and has excellent throttle response back and forth when rocking the throttle in a hover.
    Lee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Engine: Magnum XLS
    Glow Plug: Tower Glow plug
    Propeller: MAS 11x6
    Fuel: homebrew 80/20 castor.
    RPM: 12300

Propeller: APC 12x4
    RPM 12500 aprox.
    Jorge Andres Estrada

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

Just bought two new engines, one Supertigre G45 and a Magnum 46 XLS. Both were broken in by running approximately 40 oz. of fuel through each on the bench.

Fuel used in both = Byron's 15%.
    Prop = Master Airscrew S2 10X7
    Plug used in both = OS #8.
    Air temp at test time = 86 deg.

Supertigre with stock muffler = 15,100
    Supertigre with Tower muffler = No Change
    The Supertigre muffler is noticeably quieter and the Tower muffler is lighter although I didn't weigh it to see how much lighter.

Magnum with stock muffler = 14,000
    Magnum with Tower muffler = 15,200

Sometimes the Magnum would make 15,300 but it wasn't consistant so I lissted it at 15,200.

Transition on both was great as they came from the Manufacturer. The Magnum, with the Tower muffler, was too rich at about 3/4 throttle when peaked for max rpm and with the idle set as lean as possible. It ran perfect with the stock mufler so I assume the lower muffler pressure on the Tower muffler causes this effect. Just some observations to share with the group. Have a great day all. [8D]
    I finally got around to weighing the Tower and SuperTigre mufflers and the Tower muffler is 3 oz. lighter than the ST.
    Spektrum DX8i, DA DLE SuperTigre OS FOX Saito Enya Jett TT: John 3:16