Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

Used K&B .45 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 02:03 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Used K&B .45 Sportster

I recently bought a nice .45 Sporty and after some stripped thread issues that were resolved better than new. And a nice aftermarket muffler that I just happen to have laying around. (no idea what kind it is) I am very proud to post these numbers. I used my Sig 15% nitro 20% castor and an 11X6 Master Airscrew prop. It will run 12,200 AND idle down to 2300 . It even hand flip starts at idle. I believe the plug was an OS #8.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82876.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	942083  
Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 PM
bat.guy
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Used K&B .45 Sportster

I've had a K&B .28 R/C Sportster on Supersportster20 since 1991. Any fuel I can get plus 2% caster. It doesn't tach like some of the newer (disposable) screamers but got better every year the last 17 years.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:12 PM
kenhiraihnl

a friend of mine had a k&b .25 or .28 on a sig senorita...i remember that it was one of the quietest planes i've ever flown/heard...my os.46sf w/ abc piston/sleeve and soft mount was also very quiet - like they were 'dead stick' on final...imho, k&b could have advertised their .25/.28 engines for their quietness and sold more of them...ken
Old 09-13-2008, 12:17 AM
jeffie8696

I think K&B had some "issues" that prevented it from becoming succesful. I do not wish to speak negatively of them.
I think the Sportsters are a very interesting design, the aluminum cylinder and chrome plated piston is very novel. I believe it makes for terrific breathing. However I believe the general opinion is that they are heavy. I have no way of weighing mine but without a heavy brass liner I would think it will be relatively light.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
tony0707

hi my K&B 45 story-!!- -bought a plane for the servos and the engine came with itso i ran itfell in love with the soundvery soon blue out the head gasketso i JB weided the head to the barrelshortly after that stripped out the head bolts-so i retaped them for 4-40 bolts -the muffler fell apart so i used a large hose clamp and JB weld to hold it oni now have about 450 flights on the engine-replaced a rod once-the engine uses very little fuel- i asume because i reduced the volume of the head by my modification-that also brought up the compressionthe engine is extremly powerfull for it size- and oh yes -ISTILLLOVETHESOUNDOFIT -had to do so much to keep it together that i can not recomend the engine -but in its modified stateand for nothing- it is one of my all time best performing engines- just to bad K&B-did not make an engine that will stay together out of the box - oh yes- it is still running and has many more flights on it to come- best performing engine i have had on my ORIGINALMIDWEST40 size SWEETSTICKthat is my third RC plane -now flying for 19 years- -has been redone three times(new covering-two wing replacements ) out of sheer love of how this plane performs -one of the first and few planes ever designed just for RC flight my trainner who was flying for 30 years and self taught - flew his 40 stik more often than many of his other aircraftis a very forgiving design and great on windy days (with cross winds ) now thats a good story if i do say so myself
Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 AM
jeffie8696

If you notice the head on mine has custom made nuts that bolt on the head. I made studs for the cylinder head and eliminated the stripped threads problem. Isold it recently to buy a new in box MVVS 40. Iwas able to find an aftermarked muffler that bolted on perfectly and made lots of power on my K&B 45. Istill have the muffler.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM
tony0707

hi jeffie8696-can you post a  better   picture of the muffler-looks like a webra to me-give me a price if you will sell the muffler you have-thank you
Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
jeffie8696

The muffler is an old strap on unit Idrilled and tapped to take bolts. I is un baffled and a little loud.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I recently got a new, never run 45 sportster. Never could make the darned thing run right. When I set it right for level flight, it would die when I pointed the nose in the air. If I richened it up any, it wouldn't run right when level. I was about to retire it when I remembered a few perry carbs I had floating around somewhere. Sure enough, one of them fit perfectly. While I was experimenting, I also found a header that fit it, so I added a tuned pipe to the mix. It isn't the same engine at all! It runs perfectly level or elevated, and has much more power/torque. It isn't turning mega rpm's, but that's not what i was trying to do anyway. It's turning about 10,000. Now I realize that the 45 sportster may not be the engine of choice to put a perry carb and a pipe on, but it sure worked great in this case. I had all but given up on the little engine, but now I've got it on a Somethin Extra, and it is a blast to fly! Before I added the carb and pipe, it struggled to get the plane in the air, and would deadstick more often than not. After the changes, it has no trouble flying the plane, and has not deadsticked any more.......if there is a negative side to this, it would be that now it sounds an awful lot like a mad bee in a can
Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 PM
jeffie8696

Ihave had great luck with all my K&B carbs. Also Thunder Tiger carbs.