Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New Thunder Tiger Loop Scavenged .15

Picked this engine up new old stock. After a proper break in it really impressed me. On Sig 15% nitro 20% castor and an 8X4 Master Airscrew with an OS A3 plug it turned low 15,000 s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63286.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	942087  
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Thunder Tiger Loop Scavenged .15

Wow, neat old engine. What year were they made I wonder?

Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't really know. Maybe the late 70s. Perhaps some of our fellow members have more insight.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can you look through the exhaust port or glow plug hole and see the baffle on the top of the piston?

Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I had one exactly the same, bought new in the shop in November 1980.
    SAMAA 5409
    Club Saito Member #766
    Saito FA30, FA 45, FA62A, FA72, FA100T, FA 100Ti, FA120, FA125, FA130T, FA150, FA182T, FA200Ti, FA 300T, FA300TTDP, FA325R5, FG20

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Found a used one of these engines on eBay... I'm not keen on used engines but after reading this thread, is it worth buying?
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    I don't need the Internet, my wife knows everything.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Maybe it is ok. I have a newer Schnuerle TT GP.15 that doesn't go that good. Couldn't even get 13,500 out of it. (7-5 prop) I was thinking maybe the boost port wasn't working because maybe the piston hole wasn't letting it get by. My .10 GP TT is a slug too. Is yours ball bearing? Looks like it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm going to swap out the FP .10 I have for either a TT .15 Looper or a ST X.11 Schnuerle blue head in my trainer. I should be able to get either pretty cheap. Who knows, I might buy both. The TT is bushed I think and the X11 SuperTigre is ball raced in the rear only. My flying buddy will trade me my FP .10 and ST G2300 for something else.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you need a .15, the LA is hard to beat. Better than the TT .15 and .10 that I have. The Supertiger .11 sounds good. My opinion, it is free. I also had an older TT .25 that was not too great either. Only TT's I liked are the .40s and up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
    If you need a .15, the LA is hard to beat. Better than the TT .15 and .10 that I have. The Supertiger .11 sounds good. My opinion, it is free. I also had an older TT .25 that was not too great either. Only TT's I liked are the .40s and up.
    I am not an OS guy. I own the FP .10 because I got it dirt cheap at an estate sale. Aside from that I'd not have it. My flying buddy has a diesel head for it and likely will convert it to diesel. I would rather have the old stuff nobody else (or almost nobody else) has. I mean, who flies a loop charged/scavenged engine in a trainer? Nobody at the clubs I'll be flying at... Nobody around here runs SuperTigre. If I could get an Enya .11CX AAC, that would be my first choice. These other two options are cheapie throw-aways should I crash hard enough. I don't think my trainer could handle anything more powerful anyway. It's a rudder only plane.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ya, rudder only can't have too much power anyway. My TT .10 could barely take off in my field. It was a bit heavy with the standard servos of the day, and needed bigger wheels to take off. Put in an FP .10 and a world of difference. The LA is a bit lighter and a bit more power again, marginally. I kind of get tired of the OS fan stories too, but they refined the designs down to an art there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
    Ya, rudder only can't have too much power anyway. My TT .10 could barely take off in my field. It was a bit heavy with the standard servos of the day, and needed bigger wheels to take off. Put in an FP .10 and a world of difference. The LA is a bit lighter and a bit more power again, marginally. I kind of get tired of the OS fan stories too, but they refined the designs down to an art there.
    Without getting into it too much, OS' strongest suit is marketing. Secondly, they make an engine so anybody can fire it up, run it, and not destroy it in 3 runs. They have great Carburetors which allows the more novice users to adjust the engine easier. But the same can be said for Thunder Tiger. With most of today's sport engines, it's take it out of the box, mount on a plane, and go fly it. The better quality engines will require a little more skill and time to properly break in the engine. I am not saying OS doesn't make a quality engine per sé, I am just saying I have higher standards and OS doesn't meet those standards. But back to the topic... The little TT .15 has a few days left at auction and no bids. The Super Tigre X11 has about 6hrs left. I'll try to nab both if I can. They're both at a pretty low price right now. Right now the smallest engine I own besides the FP .10 is an ST S29 and I wouldn't mind getting a few of the smaller engines and obscure isn't out of the question for me. I like weird and uncommon.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I seem to have a lot of the weird uncommon little stuff. The Supertiger .11 looks like a nice addition. I wouldn't mind one of those myself, but really, how many more little guys do I need. I hardly fly with them any more now that I seem to have moved to the windiest place on earth. There is a Novarossi .09 around too. Looks kind of old timey cool. I noticed they are out of stock, wonder if they will keep getting them? Planet Hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For some reason, when I got into collecting aircraft engines I knew early on I wanted to have the stuff most other people won't or don't even know exist. Granted, most of my engines are relatively common and well known, but I'd love to see the looks on peoples faces when I show up to the flying field with a Super Tigre or Enya that runs flawless. My buddies' field is pretty much 100% OS for 2-strokes and Saito 4-strokes. That isn't to say I'll fly there exclusively but I guess I like to show people up that turn their nose up at stuff other than what's "the best". I'm excited to fly my big foam target drone with a K&B sportster .65.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3