Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Tachometer Readings
Reload this Page >

PROPING ENGINES TO RUN IN THERE POWER BAND

Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

PROPING ENGINES TO RUN IN THERE POWER BAND

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROPING ENGINES TO RUN IN THERE POWER BAND

HI the question is- if a manufacturer of a given engine gives an RPM number to run and prop an engine to to be in the engines proper power band-i am assuming that RPM is a number to be acheived on the groundas the engine will unload in the air and pick up 1,000 RPM aprox.-when actually flyingis this a sound assumption ? or should we be proping for the RPM we are running at when actually flyingwhich is 1,000 less RPM on the groundhummmm !! TONY "the omega man "
Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PROPING ENGINES TO RUN IN THERE POWER BAND

Most of the time, the manufacture's info just gives suggested range and recommended props. Usually this data is way off and it doesn't take into account the type of aircraft or how it will be flown. That's why this forum "tachometer Readings" was formed, much more detailed info here, just find your engine.

Engines don't always unload(gain RPM in flight), it depends on prop, engine and plane.

These questions are best to asked in the "Glow engines" forum.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PROPING ENGINES TO RUN IN THERE POWER BAND

I agree that most of the rpm numbers posted by a mfg give the rpm range for that engine. You can look at the peak RPM to find out if it like to rev or torque. Some of the actual power figures are misleading.

I have found a few props that just make an engine really make a noticeable power increase. My goal now is to find the prop that each engine makes noticeably better power. Then consider the airframe as you can try more props to find the best for your taste. I enjoy the whole process. When you find the perfect combination it is very rewarding!

turbo