Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Tachometer Readings
Reload this Page >

Evolution .60NX with Jett Stream Muffler

Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

Evolution .60NX with Jett Stream Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Evolution .60NX with Jett Stream Muffler

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Did you make a tape recording of those beautiful sounds?

Ernie
Nope, but I'll have to put my new HD camera to use tonight. That 9x10 is sick. It made me take a step back from the test stand when it went on the pipe. I can tell I'm in love with this engine already and I hope it stays together long enough to get past the honeymoon.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

Ernie
Nope, but I'll have to put my new HD camera to use tonight. That 9x10 is sick. It made me take a step back from the test stand when it went on the pipe. I can tell I'm in love with this engine already and I hope it stays together long enough to get past the honeymoon.
My only concern was with the cheap steal retained rear bearing and High Rpm. I switched mine out when I was massaging the inside.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's sad that manufactures make a decent engine and stick cheap bearings in it. What did they save 25 cents their cost? When Evolution first came out with the 46 NT, they had bearings with plastic cages, then about a year later they switch to cheap steel cage bearings. Yeah, I noticed, and I noticed the shorter bearing life too...Horizon!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:06 PM
RC-Bearings
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Iflyglow

Ernie
My only concern was with the cheap steal retained rear bearing and High Rpm. I switched mine out when I was massaging the inside.
What size bearings ended up in your engine?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: RC-Bearings
http://www.pspec.com/details.asp?ProdID=77&category=7

There is more bearing talk on the last two pages of this thread.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.pspec.com/details.asp?ProdID=77&category=7

There is more bearing talk on the last two pages of this thread.

Paul,
I have your 15X28X7 (6902) and .375x.875x.281 (R6-2RS) in mine. We will see how it works out.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you guys loading this engine down. It really like the rpm with the Jett muffler. It needs to be in the 16,500 and up on the rpm.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Ernie Misner

Maybe they just want to fly sport aerobatics.

Ernie
Old 06-16-2010, 04:23 PM
SpinnerRow

Maybe they just want to fly sport aerobatics.

Ernie
Yea, I have one on an Ultra Stick 40 with a pipe turning a 12x5 right at 15K that is a stupid amount of fun to fly.

One is on a Strega 40 turning a 10x8. This one is more speed oriented for sure but I have noise restrictions at my field and I need to keep it 15K or less. The 10x8 will put me right there (in cooler weather). The 9x10 is upper mid 15K range and I bet the 9x8 would get into the 16,500 range. But man, at close to 16K the last time I tested a 9x10, the sound was nuts. And I actually tried a 9x10 on the Strega and didn't like it. Virtually no climb out and the speed gain wasn't that great enough for me to "have to have" that prop on the plane.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:30 PM
SpinnerRow

APC 9x9
Omega Aero 15%
94 degrees and 70% humidity

I've also cleaned the ports up on mine a bit as well as replaced the bearings.

16,400rpm
Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Ernie Misner

Do you mean you've cleaned up the transfer area or did you get into the ports themselves where the chrome plating is?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 AM
SpinnerRow

Do you mean you've cleaned up the transfer area or did you get into the ports themselves where the chrome plating is?

Thanks,

Ernie
No chrome was harmed during this activity! I cleaned up the outside edges of the boost, transfer and intake ports. Did a bit more work on the intake port than the other two but generally cleaned them up a bit.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I have put a hole in one piston and broken the crank on the other. Both only ran about 2 minutes and both blew on throttle up. Two turns out to start and running a 10x7 prop with the Jett muffler. Spinning both of them by hand felt really tight and just felt like there was metal on metal binding inside.

Any advice?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Dblex

Guys, I have put a hole in one piston and broken the crank on the other. Both only ran about 2 minutes and both blew on throttle up. Two turns out to start and running a 10x7 prop with the Jett muffler. Spinning both of them by hand felt really tight and just felt like there was metal on metal binding inside.

Any advice?
Yea, richen the mixture. Sounds WAY lean.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Dblex

So 2 turns as per the manual is too lean???? Where do you think I should start out at?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:07 PM
SpinnerRow

So 2 turns as per the manual is too lean???? Where do you think I should start out at?

Thanks for the help guys!
The manual was written with the stock muffler in mind. If you are using the Jett muffler you will have to richen it way up. More power = more fuel required. I would richen it 3-4 turns out and then sneak up on the tune. That metal to metal grinding you feel on the new motor is just that. It is an ABC engine with a tapered bore. It is going to have a nasty pinch at the top of the stroke until you run it in some. If you are trying to start this on a cold day, warm the cylinder head with a heat gun on low to before the initial start. And use some fuel with castor oil in it.

By the way, an APC 10x8 is an ideal prop for this motor. I have two of them. One on a pipe and one on the Jett muffler. Very powerful motors. It loves the 10x8.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
RC-Bearings

One other thing to think about. Running these engines much past their design RPMs will start to show any weaknesses. I would be tuning to run a larger prop at the same RPMs. You get much more pull by doing this and you keep the engine well within their operating range.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Pete Bergstrom

Any advice?
Please see message below - I had a computer glitch and sent this as an empty message.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Pete Bergstrom

Any advice?
Dblex, Sorry to hear about your issues. We have about a dozen of these engines running within our product development group in anything from Stiks to the Jackal and the Phoenix, mini-pipe setups and full blown tuned pipe setups and we have never had these issues before. Please return these engines directly to my attention so we can get to the bottom of this problem.

BTW - our Jackals run with the EVOM1 mini-pipe muffler at about 1-1/8 turns out from closed. That muffler tends to have a ton of muffler pressure and provides a lot of fuel to the engine so running at two turns out should have been very rich. If it is not I would look into the muffler pressure system between the muffler and the fuel tank.

Pete
Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 PM
SpinnerRow

One other thing to think about. Running these engines much past their design RPMs will start to show any weaknesses. I would be tuning to run a larger prop at the same RPMs. You get much more pull by doing this and you keep the engine well within their operating range.
I've put better bearings in both of mine.

I can interchange an APC 12x5, 11x6 and a 10x8 and get pretty much the same RPMs. It is all about your flying style. I don't like the large diameter short pitch props - too slow.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:25 PM
RC-Bearings

I was mostly speaking to the people who are trying to get more speed from a draggy airframe. Going to smaller diameter props is counter-productive in those cases.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 PM
freakingfast

Any advice?
Did you change the factory plug to the HAN3015 #9 Performance Plug or HAN3020 #3 Performance Plug that the manual calls for when you run the tuned muffler?

Is the fuel system plumed correctly, when empty, can you you blow from the carb line through the tank into the muffler without blockage?

I know the manual calls for Cool Power, but I'd like to see some castor oil as part of the fuels oil makeup especially during break-in.

When new, they do feel tight, primarily at the top of stroke. Don't turn it unnecessarily by hand.

The needle setting of two turns may be wrong when the tuned muffler is used, the setting is a starting point, not written in stone. You may need to start with more turns open to be safe.

Start it and get it up to speed temperature. Extended cold, low speed running when new could do harm.

They need to be ran-in rich with lots of smoke, wide open, about 1500-2000 rpm OFF PEAK RICH regardless of needle turn count. 10X7 should be OK for this.

The sound should be just inside the smooth two stroke scream and the engine should jump if you MOMENTARILY pinch the line. After running a few moments you should barely be able to hold your finger on the head. Run for two tanks like this and on the third tank start working it leaner, about 500 rpm off peak by the end of that tank. Go fly.

If you are not sure, get help. Don't kill another engine.

Have fun be safe & good luck.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Dblex

Actually, I was told 2 turns out to start is too rich for this set up. To start at 1.5 turns and that this motor/pipe Combo likes it leaned in around 1 and 1/8th turns. The 2 turns out apparently was flooding the motor and causing a backfire. The Jett apparently kicks out alot of muffler pressure wich I was told can flood this motor. This was from a Rep that I spoke with at Horizon.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Dblex

I just cant figure this out...

My Jett muffler doesnt seem to be getting enough pressure to tank as my motor gets super hott and loads up, but when I put the stock muffler, she runs smooth and cool....

What are your guys needles at on the high end??????????????? Im curious!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:52 PM
freakingfast

Can you blow through the fitting in the performance muffler? It wouldn't be the first time a muffler's fitting was blocked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.